ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don't start Keith up on politics: from the Independent Return to archive
September 2nd, 2005 09:24 PM
FPM C10 Don't start Keith up on politics: Why the Stones missed Live8
By Louise Jury, Arts Correspondent
Published: 03 September 2005
When the Rolling Stones failed to appear in the Live8 concert line-up this summer, rumours abounded as to why the band had stayed away.

Some said Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney had a monumental clash of egos, each wanting the coveted headline slot. Others claimed that Geldof and Jagger had fallen out, but no one knew why.

The reason, it turns out, had less to do with superstar egos and more to do with Keith Richards' suspicion of politics.

In an interview broadcast last night, Richards, the Stones' guitarist, revealed that it was his own wariness over the politics of the headline-grabbing event that led to the Stones' absence from the event.

Indeed, Jagger and the Live8 organiser Bob Geldof had begged him to take part, Richards revealed on BBC2's Newsnight.

"I just thought the connection between Geldof and the Labour Party ... was just too tight; and I don't see debt reduction as being like - it's not going to feed the babies down there," he said from America where the band has just embarked on a year-long world tour of more than 100 concerts to promote a new album.

"I mean, who's this gratifying and where are the Africans? Where was their say? And I thought it was being stuck together too fast. I never had so much pressure in my life from so many knights of the realm."

Asked whether it was Jagger, who was made Sir Mick four years ago, and Geldof, who was given an honorary knighthood in 1986, who had tried to convince him to participate, Richards said: "Oh yeah, all the Sirs had a bash, believe me. Every one of them. I wondered who was pulling the strings, that's all. You know what I mean?"

Richards, 61, was also wary of the band's rare excursion into political lyrics when Jagger, 62, wrote "Sweet Neo-Con," a head-on attack on the American right which has been hailed as a highlight of the new album, A Bigger Bang, scheduled for release next week. But Richards had told Jagger he had no problems with its lyrics. "Personally, to me, I never think about politicians if I'm going to write a song. It's like a blank area to me. They all come and go, and I'm trying to write about more universal stuff. But if you feel like [it], then let's go," he said.

"I just didn't want it to become some peripheral distractions/political storm in a tea-cup sort of thing. But if you want to do it, let's go. I'm with you all the way."

He said he did not want the band to be seen as political, he added. "I just want to be seen as a good band and a great band ..."

Jagger insisted in the interview that social comment was very much part of what the Stones had always done - "though it's somewhat more hidden and this is a very open and direct song. But this is the different time we live in and I thought this was the best way to say it rather than hide it, cloaked in metaphors and subterfuge".

In conversations with all the band members, a picture emerged of a much happier, less tense atmosphere among them than had been common in the past. "Maybe Mick's a bit happier now he's been knighted," Ronnie Wood said.

Charlie Watts, 64, the band's drummer, has received treatment for throat cancer and this has raised questions over whether the current tour might be the band's last. Jagger said he did not know. "I can't even get past Christmas, to be honest."

But Richards indicated a willingness to go on. "The idea of retiring is like killing yourself. It's almost like hari kiri. I mean, no doubt, I intend to live to 100 and go down in history."

When the Rolling Stones failed to appear in the Live8 concert line-up this summer, rumours abounded as to why the band had stayed away.

Some said Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney had a monumental clash of egos, each wanting the coveted headline slot. Others claimed that Geldof and Jagger had fallen out, but no one knew why.

The reason, it turns out, had less to do with superstar egos and more to do with Keith Richards' suspicion of politics.

In an interview broadcast last night, Richards, the Stones' guitarist, revealed that it was his own wariness over the politics of the headline-grabbing event that led to the Stones' absence from the event.

Indeed, Jagger and the Live8 organiser Bob Geldof had begged him to take part, Richards revealed on BBC2's Newsnight.

"I just thought the connection between Geldof and the Labour Party ... was just too tight; and I don't see debt reduction as being like - it's not going to feed the babies down there," he said from America where the band has just embarked on a year-long world tour of more than 100 concerts to promote a new album.

"I mean, who's this gratifying and where are the Africans? Where was their say? And I thought it was being stuck together too fast. I never had so much pressure in my life from so many knights of the realm."

Asked whether it was Jagger, who was made Sir Mick four years ago, and Geldof, who was given an honorary knighthood in 1986, who had tried to convince him to participate, Richards said: "Oh yeah, all the Sirs had a bash, believe me. Every one of them. I wondered who was pulling the strings, that's all. You know what I mean?"

Richards, 61, was also wary of the band's rare excursion into political lyrics when Jagger, 62, wrote "Sweet Neo-Con," a head-on attack on the American right which has been hailed as a highlight of the new album, A Bigger Bang, scheduled for release next week. But Richards had told Jagger he had no problems with its lyrics. "Personally, to me, I never think about politicians if I'm going to write a song. It's like a blank area to me. They all come and go, and I'm trying to write about more universal stuff. But if you feel like [it], then let's go," he said.
"I just didn't want it to become some peripheral distractions/political storm in a tea-cup sort of thing. But if you want to do it, let's go. I'm with you all the way."

He said he did not want the band to be seen as political, he added. "I just want to be seen as a good band and a great band ..."

Jagger insisted in the interview that social comment was very much part of what the Stones had always done - "though it's somewhat more hidden and this is a very open and direct song. But this is the different time we live in and I thought this was the best way to say it rather than hide it, cloaked in metaphors and subterfuge".

In conversations with all the band members, a picture emerged of a much happier, less tense atmosphere among them than had been common in the past. "Maybe Mick's a bit happier now he's been knighted," Ronnie Wood said.

Charlie Watts, 64, the band's drummer, has received treatment for throat cancer and this has raised questions over whether the current tour might be the band's last. Jagger said he did not know. "I can't even get past Christmas, to be honest."

But Richards indicated a willingness to go on. "The idea of retiring is like killing yourself. It's almost like hari kiri. I mean, no doubt, I intend to live to 100 and go down in history."
September 2nd, 2005 09:51 PM
Riffhard " I never had so much pressure in my life from so many knights of the realm."

Now that's some funny shit right there!! LOL! Thanks Flea!

Riffhard
September 2nd, 2005 10:42 PM
Angiegirl I was just watching Mick's Just Another Night and Miss You from the Live Aid '85 DVD's (just got them for my birthday). Maybe Keith would be a happier person if he too were wearing blue eyeliner.
September 2nd, 2005 10:43 PM
glencar But he prefers black!
September 3rd, 2005 01:35 AM
texile and a lemon-yellow silk shirt.....keith is dead-on about live 8.
September 3rd, 2005 05:35 AM
maumau keith is a wise man
September 3rd, 2005 07:23 AM
Hannalee Keith's an idiot and an isolationist - tautologous, but there you go.
September 3rd, 2005 10:09 AM
gimmekeef He can get 100,000 on their feet with a slight flick of the pick...Thats all I care about....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)