ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Five star review of "ABB" in "The Independent" Return to archive
September 2nd, 2005 10:25 AM
Gazza Album: The Rolling Stones
A Bigger Bang, VIRGIN
By Andy Gill
Published: 02 September 2005

Throughout the Nineties, we got used to hearing that the latest Stones album was rather better than one might expect, despite the likes of Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon ultimately being regarded as little more than audio fly-posters for the band's latest globe-girdling tour, each ekeing out the usual one or two decent tracks with acres of half-hearted filler.

So it's with a certain trepidation that I welcome A Bigger Bang as, yes, better than one might expect; a lot better, in fact - good enough to put on instead of reaching for the band's former glories again. Let's put it this way: if albums were still only 10 or 12 tracks long, and all the fat was trimmed from the 16 here, the result might well be fit to stand alongside Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Which is about as good as it gets.

The opening "Rough Justice" serves notice of their intentions with a classic Keith Richards raunch-riff in the vein of "Brown Sugar", while Jagger reflects on "animal attraction" with all the charm and elegance befitting a sixtysomething reprobate. "Once upon a time I was your little rooster," he leers, "now I'm just one of your cocksss!", drawing out the sibilant like a schoolboy sniggering at his own cheek. One's first reaction is amused exasperation, a weary shake of the head, but then you think, well, isn't that exactly what he's there for? The second time around, you're singing along, your inner schoolkid awakened.

A few tracks later, he's slaying you in a different way with the haunting new single "Streets of Love", which features Mick's most affecting delivery in decades, and a hum-along falsetto hook which, once under your skin, won't easily be dislodged. It's just one in a series of songs which characterise him as the regretful or reproachful victim of love, taken to the cleaners by women more devious and manipulative than himself, unlikely as that may seem. Meanwhile Keith has gone back to the basics which served him so well three or four decades ago, distilling the essence of rock'n'roll to just two or three judiciously chosen chords, played with his own distinctive swagger-sway panache. And, whether it's due to his getting through chemotherapy, or simply a desire to get back in the saddle after a longer-than-usual hiatus, Charlie's on storming form throughout A Bigger Bang, powering songs like "It Won't Take Long" and the irresistible funk-rock juggernaut "Rain Fall Down".

Mick also plays some sizzling slide-guitar licks on the hallucinatory blues "Back Of My Hand" ("I see dreams, I see visions/ Images I don't understand/ I see Goya's paranoias/ I can read it like the back of my hand"), and his blues-harp work there and on the political broadside "Sweet Neo Con" has bite and piquancy.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/article309577.ece

September 2nd, 2005 10:36 AM
Jumacfly thanks Gazza, look what the cat dragged in :another five stars review!!!
September 2nd, 2005 10:41 AM
BillyBoll Yeah but the Guardians in with a typical, up its own arse thing, giving it 3 out of 5.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1560557,00.html
September 2nd, 2005 10:56 AM
Gazza "Driving Too Fast appears to be a song admonishing someone who drives too fast"

er...no its not. The song's quite obviously written metaphorically
September 2nd, 2005 11:01 AM
jb Is this a English or Scottish Newspaper?
September 2nd, 2005 11:04 AM
Gazza The Independent??

its a national newspaper - its published all over the UK
September 2nd, 2005 11:08 AM
jb Well, then I applaud it's good taste!!!! I am excited tro be seeing you in January!!! Lets find out where they are staying and book now so I don't get fucked like I am in Chicago....I really wanted to go, but will not stay at any other hotel than the one the bands staying out....My Chicago people let me down and have no connections to get me in.................
September 2nd, 2005 11:11 AM
Gazza 3 stars isnt THAT bad a review, I suppose.

The only negative one I've seen so far was in today's "Sun", which was a bizarre review, giving it 2 stars, calling the album "dross" and then admitting at the end that the Stones are the 'greatest rock n roll band in the world'. Figure THAT out....

The Daily Express gave it 3 stars, the Daily Mail 4 stars, and of course "UNCUT" gave it "album of the month" and a 5-star review which is probably the most positive review of a new Stones album I've ever read. (see the thread I posted a couple of days ago)
September 2nd, 2005 06:12 PM
star star and dont forget that the esteemed daily mirror gave it a review and a rating of 4-stars and "must listen" status!
September 2nd, 2005 06:20 PM
glencar What about the Telegraph? The Scotsman?
September 2nd, 2005 06:23 PM
glencar The Guardian review is a bad review in itself. At least get the titles correct!
September 2nd, 2005 06:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
star star wrote:
and dont forget that the esteemed daily mirror gave it a review and a rating of 4-stars and "must listen" status!

Quite a compliment from THAT shiterag!
September 2nd, 2005 07:51 PM
Soldatti No review from Rolling Stone?
September 3rd, 2005 09:34 AM
caro I'm hijacking this thread because all the frenchie threads seem to have vanished into the archives : the french paper Le Monde has some stuff about the Stones on its website. A portfolio, a half-assed and rather arrogant review of the 31/08 Detroit show, AND a rather enthousiastic review of A Bigger Bang.
Album review
Show review
Portfolio
September 3rd, 2005 11:08 AM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
No review from Rolling Stone?

4 1/2 stars.
September 4th, 2005 07:11 AM
corgi37 No Oz review yet. But, the main music writer for our biggest paper gave it a good review. He's been around for ages, is mainly a hip hop guy, but he's been pretty tight with the Stones since VL.

Comes out here tomorrow. I scored it for Fathers Day, so my tradition of getting their albums on the day of release continues. Though of course, i didnt pay for it. Well, in a sense, i guess i did. The bitch takes all my money anyway, bless her black heart.

Fellow Aussies, i'm just warning you. Particularly Daethgod. Whats the bet in next Sundays Herald-Sun, that Beatles lover, Pete Best, reviews the damn thing. I tell ya, if he says anything stupid, that fucker is gonna get another in a long list of angry emails i have sent him over the years. Yet, whats the bet he's the 1st to put his hand out for his free cd and of course, free tickets if/when they tour.
September 4th, 2005 07:55 AM
Daethgod hey corgs
did u notice that Nui in the Herald Sun track by track piece called Streets of Love 'Shades of Love'

Pete Best better not call it A Bigger Rang

September 4th, 2005 10:43 AM
Ihavelotsajam Hello, I'm new here. Just popping in to say that Bang got torn a new asshole in Billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/reviews/album_article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001053849

I don't believe this was posted anywhere else, if it was, sorry!
September 4th, 2005 10:38 PM
corgi37 Yeah, Daeth, i saw that. Slip of the keyboard. The album was released here 2 days earlier due to the evil downloading some people do. I got my copy today. Of course, my wife is listening to it as i am at bloody work. Should have had the day off. But, i've had a very big, very hard week end, so work is like a rest for me.

I aint never drinking again.
September 4th, 2005 10:39 PM
corgi37 Wow, that reviewer doesnt muck around. Get in, bag it, get out.

No doubt a U2 fan.

What a moron.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)