ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guitars in ABB - what happened ? Return to archive
September 1st, 2005 01:10 PM
gotdablouse Well I think we all love that album especially after Keith's scary comments in Uncut in late 2002 (or was it 2003) where he was saying in essence that they had become a touring band and didn't need to release new stuff anymore, sounds like he changed his mind...or Mick kicked his butt, or whatever...

The letdown is that the guitar licks are not particularly remarkable or even noticeable, the rythm playing (by Mick I suppose) is excellent, especially on the intro of RFD, but other than the short solo in DB there really isn't a lot of "guitar" in that album, anyone care do agree/disagree ?
September 1st, 2005 06:03 PM
egon i'll wait for the proper album, instead of judging by shitty mp3s etc
September 1st, 2005 06:08 PM
Saint Sway the guitar playing is the pretty raw and cool. Better than Bridges. Easily cooler than on Steel Wheels.

cut em slack though. Its not like they're The Black Crowes are anything. This is pretty good playing by recent Stones standards.
September 1st, 2005 06:17 PM
star star i think the stones stopped with proper lead guitar soloing a long time ago. lets just enjoy the olde driving rhythm and chuck berry-esque-hybrid soloing. plus ronnie doesnt do a bad slide.
September 1st, 2005 07:23 PM
gotdablouse True, but this is the first album that strikes me with this relative "absence" of memorable guitar parts, maybe it's the "weaving" that's gone, because Ronnie wasn't much involved in the early recording. Hard to pinpoint at this time, but there's something.
September 1st, 2005 07:26 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Its not like they're The Black Crowes are anything.

Thankfully...wimpazoid wannabees like the Robinson brothers insist on bringing things down to their less talented level---second rate BTO is better
September 1st, 2005 07:53 PM
the good Rough justice has great slide. I know about a 100 guitar players, and maybe only 3 who could pull that solo off.
September 1st, 2005 07:55 PM
CraigP I agree that there is a lack of guitaring on this album with the exception of a few songs. On the other hand, it does have a few hard rockers that I am quite pleased with and thankful for. Also it is a better album than anything we've heard since at least Tatto You or even Some Girls. I'm just happy that we have an album coming our way!
September 1st, 2005 10:17 PM
T&A
quote:
the good wrote:
Rough justice has great slide. I know about a 100 guitar players, and maybe only 3 who could pull that solo off.

Gimme a break! Anyone who can play slide can play crap like that! The answer to the original question on this thread is pretty fucking obvious: the boys are getting older and losing their chops. Age happens.
September 1st, 2005 10:36 PM
Soldatti I don't remember long solos on B2B and the last good one was in I Go Wild. I only heard the samples but IWTL got a great solo isn't it?
September 2nd, 2005 03:52 AM
IanBillen [quote]gotdablouse wrote:
True, but this is the first album that strikes me with this relative "absence" of memorable guitar parts, maybe it's the "weaving" that's gone, because Ronnie wasn't much involved in the early recording. Hard to pinpoint at this time, but there's something.

Well If I may. I think you may be missing the point. This album is not supposed to have alot of Highwire type weaving. It is supposed to be rough edged, and even choppy if you will. It is purposely done this way. The stones weaving interplay has been great in the past....however, we wanted a new, in your face type of album and this is what we got.

Ian
September 2nd, 2005 04:53 AM
gotdablouse Not sure what "point" you're referring to and I wasn't particularly referring to solos either (other than SFTD and CYMK there really aren't too many great solos in their discography anyway), it just struck me that the guitar seems to have taken a backseat on this album, it no longer seems to be the driving force within the band, just another instrument, which is probably a reflection of Keith losing some of his energy relatively to Mick. Mick is a surprisingly good guitar player but he's not a unique guitarist like Keith.
September 2nd, 2005 04:57 AM
star star dont forget the gorgeous solo on sway! definately the best...or hide your love etc
September 2nd, 2005 07:32 AM
IanBillen [quote]gotdablouse wrote:
Not sure what "point" you're referring to and I wasn't particularly referring to solos either (other than SFTD and CYMK there really aren't too many great solos in their discography anyway), it just struck me that the guitar seems to have taken a backseat on this album, it no longer seems to be the driving force within the band, just another instrument, which is probably a reflection of Keith losing some of his energy relatively to Mick. Mick is a surprisingly good guitar player but he's not a unique guitarist like Keith.

Hi.
Well you mention the "weaving". when I think of Stones weaving (as Keith and ronnie like to call it) I think of the middle part in Highwire before the Choras comes back in. They describe it as you cannot tell who is playing which part.

As far as solo's they are kept for the most part pretty short on this album. I think it was done in the editiing. The probable reason being that it is a long album and I think they wanted to keep the grooves moving as much as they could where possible without taking anything from the song. That way the album doesn't seem too drawn out. And actually it works. ABB may be 16 songs but it really doesn't seem like that long of an album at all. It goes by rather quickly, which is strange for a 16 song album. It really doesn't seem like a 64 minute album at all. I think it is a good sign. It flies on by.

As far as the guitarts go they are more of a group effort this album. A total group effort as everything eles this time. I also think maybe IMHO the Stones want to get away from the a typical rock n roll song that many label the Stones as doing so much in the last quarter of their carreer. So this time it Rocks, It is in your face, there are solo's pretty much on the album but it never drags out. More new wave funk (if you will) yet in the typical Stones feel. ...all bases covered and it seems everybody wins.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
September 2nd, 2005 08:08 AM
Nasty Habits The guitars on It Won't Take Long are the most exciting on a Stones record since the peak points of Dirty Work.

The only time I really detect a serious lack in "action" is on Drive Too Fast. The guitars are great on that song, but there should be an intense doubletime weave before the last verse to really get the energy up. If that song had about a minute more guitars the album would get so retardedly good at that point that the entire music world would collectively shit its pants and simultaneously sacrifice 100 virgins to the Rolling Stones.

September 2nd, 2005 11:32 AM
gotdablouse Correct, IWTL has the "trademark" guitars, good points Ian on the group effort too.
September 3rd, 2005 06:07 PM
gotdablouse Thanks to another thread, I've been able to pinpoint the change on ABB compared to B2B, the presence of Waddy Wachtel to liven things up guitar wise, especially on "Saint of Me" where his lead guitar is gorgeous.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)