ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB Released Sept 2nd!!!!!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 31st, 2005 05:57 PM
IrelandCalling4 Greetings!

Just in case it wasn't reported on a thread here already,the album "A Bigger Bang" has had it's release date pushed back at least here in Ireland and the UK--it's on the shelves Friday Morning,September 2nd! Can't wait!!!!(Though I have heard it all,and,it's supreme!)
August 31st, 2005 06:10 PM
CraigP What about America?
August 31st, 2005 06:11 PM
Some Guy
quote:
CraigP wrote:
What about America?

Gas shortage
August 31st, 2005 06:24 PM
glencar Nope, still next Tuesday.
August 31st, 2005 06:25 PM
IrelandCalling4 I don't have a clue about the American release date,but,if it's being pushed forward here by a few days,it would make sense the same would happen o'er there! It was both HMV staff & one of today's newspapers that had the Sept. 2nd date for Ireland! So,just two more days.....*
August 31st, 2005 06:28 PM
glencar Nope, we're screwed!
August 31st, 2005 06:33 PM
star star so its official? 2nd of september in the UK???!
August 31st, 2005 06:36 PM
wisertime I 'm expecting to have it on Sept. 2nd (tomorrow !!) as I know a shop in France who sell the discs on the friday when it's monday worldwide release. Can't wait !!
August 31st, 2005 06:48 PM
IrelandCalling4 Well 'StarStra'---it's official for Ireland anyway,Sept. 2nd! So,I'm sure it'd be the same in the UK.
August 31st, 2005 06:51 PM
star star brilliant mister ireland calling. you have made my entire young life with that snippet of information!! i will be up as soon as the shoppies open armed with a huge WAD of cash!
August 31st, 2005 07:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
IrelandCalling4 wrote:
Well 'StarStra'---it's official for Ireland anyway,Sept. 2nd! So,I'm sure it'd be the same in the UK.

I seriously doubt it, at this late stage but I'll check it out anyway
August 31st, 2005 08:03 PM
Soldatti The album is out on Sept. 5 according to CDWOW.
August 31st, 2005 09:21 PM
corgi37 My wifey ordered it for me today. Sunday is fathers day here in Oz, so i'll get it on Tuesday.

Heard it all on Stones.com.

This album is just awesome. Even i was surprised. It is outstanding. Easily best since Some Girls. Not every song is killer, but more than most are fantastic.

Love it. Hope it sells a motsa!
September 1st, 2005 05:43 AM
bootcover Album is allready availlable !
You can find it in stores right now
September 1st, 2005 05:48 AM
FotiniD Just checked with the largest cd-shop here and they're expecting it on Monday. So we're right on schedule I don't mind waiting, I'm actually enjoying it - yes, eight hears have had their impact on me!
September 1st, 2005 05:50 AM
egon
quote:
wisertime wrote:
I 'm expecting to have it on Sept. 2nd (tomorrow !!) as I know a shop in France who sell the discs on the friday when it's monday worldwide release. Can't wait !!

this shop doesn't happen to be in Marseille, would it?
September 1st, 2005 05:54 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I seriously doubt it, at this late stage but I'll check it out anyway

you can buy ABB already in a lot of shops in holland. Only these stores risk a fine for doing it
September 1st, 2005 06:40 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Does anybody know for certain when it comes out
September 1st, 2005 07:16 AM
Monkeytonk-man My local record store will have it in store tomorrow (Friday) but this is because all the new releases that are to be sold on the following Monday are always delviered to the shop on the previous Friday, therefore I will be able to get it if I go in, I usually have to ask for it, as they keep it behind the counter until the day of release.

Of course, I'm still waiting for it to be released on vinyl, and this looks like it won't be out until the following week.

Some of you are gonna think I'm a freak, but i won't listen to the album until I have the vinyl copy, it's like a semi-religious experience, getting that bad boy home, dropping it on the turntable, sitting back and let the rock wash over me.

I remember riding on my Bike to pick up Steel Wheels on vinyl the day of it's release and doing the exact same thing (I was 15) and now it's a bit of a tradition with me - except I don't go to the shops on my bike anymore!

Anyhoo, enough rambling.
September 1st, 2005 08:47 AM
blackandblue Tomorrow is the day!
September 1st, 2005 01:07 PM
pujos maxima Definitely Monday release in the UK.

Never heard of a Friday release due to the fact it will only have a couple of days to sell for that week's charts. Not even Virgin are that dumb.
September 1st, 2005 01:18 PM
blackandblue
quote:
pujos maxima wrote:
Definitely Monday release in the UK.

Never heard of a Friday release due to the fact it will only have a couple of days to sell for that week's charts. Not even Virgin are that dumb.

A record store here in Hilversum, Holland, advertised that the cd will be in store tomorrow (FRIDAY 2 september):

ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG:
Zoals de die-hard Stones fans waarschijnlijk al weten komt in september de nieuwe plaat "a Bigger Bang" uit. Wij krijgen deze plaat (onder voorbehoud) vrijdag 2 september in huis. Bij de eerste oplage wordt een exclusieve gekleurde vinyl-single geleverd. Deze geven wij gratis weg aan de snelle kopers. Om ervoor te zorgen dat je niet naast de single grijpt, kun je je bij ons in de winkel inschrijven voor de nieuwe Stones cd. Wees er snel bij, want de oplage is beperkt!

ROLLING STONES - A Bigger Bang (cd + 7" single) (€14,95)
September 1st, 2005 02:18 PM
pujos maxima In that case I wish I lived in Holland. The Dutch stones fans are going to have a great weekend.

September 1st, 2005 02:29 PM
blackandblue We sure are...
September 1st, 2005 09:43 PM
wisertime
quote:
egon wrote:

this shop doesn't happen to be in Marseille, would it?

Sorry egon, you're in the south, I'm in the north
September 1st, 2005 10:19 PM
exile
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
My wifey ordered it for me today. Sunday is fathers day here in Oz, so i'll get it on Tuesday.

Heard it all on Stones.com.

This album is just awesome. Even i was surprised. It is outstanding. Easily best since Some Girls. Not every song is killer, but more than most are fantastic.

Love it. Hope it sells a motsa!

released sunday here in oz cant wait...awesome

This story is from yesterdays Sydney Telegraph Mirror
It also had a lot of large photos of the band, However I dont have a scanner.

http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16455375-7484,00.html

Stones ready to roll
September 01, 2005

THE Stones' first album in eight years is heartfelt and funny, as Mick and Keith reveal in an exclusive interview. But they wonder if anyone still cares ...
THERE'S a whole lotta anxiety going down in the Rolling Stones' camp. Three weeks before they head out on the A Bigger Bang world tour, the band and the considerable workforce needed to maintain Stones Inc are hunkered down in the Toronto high school they have converted into their temporary headquarters.

Songs are being rehearsed nightly, stylists are sending over outfits for the tour - including a massive floor-length silver fur in Jagger's dressing room - and the concert tour stage has been put under the band members' microscopic inspection.

After all, it could be debilitating for ageing hips - not to mention embarrassing - for one of them to go for a slide in the middle of Jumpin' Jack Flash.

"You worry about what the surface of the stage is like and what shoes you are going to wear - you don't want to go arse over tit," Richards chuckles. He says the last time it happened to him "was quite a while ago because I've been taking a lot more care of what I wear".

In between dealing with the myriad issues concerning the tour, the band members - including drummer Charlie Watts and rhythm guitarist Ronnie Wood - have been spruiking A Bigger Bang, the album.

The Stones "family" members - staff who have been with them for decades - are unreservedly excited about the album, universally proclaiming it as one of their best.

Even the critics are genuinely approving, with one citing A Bigger Bang as the band's most important musical document since the legendary 1972 opus Exile On Main Street.

And yet Jagger, Richards and company are allegedly nervous about the album's reception when it hits the stores in Australia on Sunday and the US early next week.

When asked if they believe the hype, both downplay the effusiveness of the early reaction to the 16-track album, their first studio release since 1997's Bridges To Babylon.

"You get too close to it. You have to wait for the reaction. So far I gotta believe (the praise) because nobody has said anything else so it must be cool. For a little while when you've finished them ... I wonder," Richards says.

Jagger admits he would love the album to hit No.1 - for more than one week.

He would like radio to play Rough Justice and Streets Of Love more than once.

And he would love to convert a new generation of fans - those who have embraced Jet and the current crop of retro rockers. The 62-year-old frontman laughs when it is suggested the band members should enlist their children to act as a private "street team" to spread the good word about A Bigger Bang.

"I think that would be a good idea," Jagger says. "Look, you want people to hear the music and you want it to go on being listened to.

"We all like it and now we'll see what the critics think and so far people have said they like it but whether you write that is an entire different matter. Critics don't tend to write unqualified reviews.

"And then there's the public acceptance which is kind of hard because I'm not really sure if anyone's going to be that interested ... a lot of Rolling Stones people like the old material and are not really interested in what you're doing now. Or maybe they didn't like what you did last time so fair enough, they're not interested.

"What we've gone and done is make a Rolling Stones album."

From the opening seconds of riffarama on Rough Justice through to the dying notes of the final track, Infamy, the Stones have ripped themselves off. And it's about time.

While Jagger downplays how much material he and Richards actually wrote together at his French chateau, the tunes sound like they were crafted in the same vein as Exile, with the Glimmer Twins trading riffs and beats and all manner of musical inspiration.

Like their rehearsal routine in Toronto, the pair would start work in the early afternoon and continue writing, playing and demoing until the next morning. "You gotta get up pretty early in the afternoon to pull one over on me," Richards erupts in a smoky cackle.

Jagger liked the easy but quick pace of the sessions.

"There was a relaxed atmosphere making it. Some of it was home in France and the Bahamas - it was all small rooms and small technology," Jagger says. "You have to work at it. There's always the inspirational moment and then there's the crafting but a lot of it, I found quite easy to write. I didn't write all this with Keith in the room. I like to write a lot of stuff on my own and I don't like people being around when I'm doing the lyrics.

"Keith always says they're in the air. They're not really, you have to make them up.

"You do songwriting a lot of different ways and that's why you get different songs."

The early songwriting sessions in June last year coincided with Watts being diagnosed with throat cancer.

The spectre of the drummer's illness undoubtedly impacted on the creative process with both Richards and Jagger agreeing they wanted to impress him.

"As Charlie put it, 'One minute I'm standing at Ronnie Scott's getting a standing ovation and the next minute, I'm on a marble slab'," Richards says.

"Mick and I were looking at each other, trying to work out what to do. Do we wait for Charlie to get better, do we put things on hold?

"After a bit, it was, 'You're on drums and I'll double on bass'. We kicked off this album on a small scale and we kept it like that all the way through. There's nobody on it except the band.

"This album said, 'Don't elaborate on me. Make me small and I'll give you a big one'."

Watts was also keen to come back with a "bang". Jagger, who played Watts' parts on the demo recordings, is the first to admit he copied the drummer's jazz-influenced style.

"When Charlie got there, you'd show him how it went with me playing the drums and tell him he better do something better than that. 'That's me doing you, OK'," Jagger laughs. "Only one ofmy drum bits survived but my beats survived."

Richards adds: "In a way, when he came back, he wanted to impress us. Charlie was playing every rehearsal like it was a show and forcing us to keep up with him. There was that tension and joy in all of us getting together again."

A Bigger Bang is also remarkable for its cheekiness and Jagger's willingness to take pot-shots not only at his own caricature but the architects of world politics.

Rough Justice opens with the lyrics: "One time you were my baby chicken/Now you've grown into a fox/And once upon a time I was your little rooster/Am I just one of your cocks?"

Oh No, Not You Again is allegedly a not-so-veiled reference to ex-wife Jerry Hall while Biggest Mistake is about "chucking out this girl who was so nice and perfect for you".

And then there's Sweet Neo Con, aimed squarely at US President George W. Bush.

"There is a lot of humour on this album, even in Sweet Neo Con which is a very direct song," Jagger says.

"There are some really heartfelt songs but there's only so much you can lay on an audience without starting to sound a bit maudlin.

"It is a very English thing to temper that with a sense of humour. You don't get that in French or Italian songs. The Australians understand it.

"And yes, Rough Justice is a caricature. Oh No, Not You Again is an incident song ... it's about a real incident and has tons of humour in it.

"For me, it's more fun. Don't you hate that, when people use songs to do their therapy?"

With the world tour in full swing, Richards proudly reiterates the band's status as rock'n' roll pioneers, valiantly taking the circus as far as it can go.

"I don't see any reason why you can't keep it up, at least playing," Richards says.

"What else are you gonna do really? Doing nothing is bloody boring."

* A Bigger Bang is out on Sunday

[Edited by exile]
September 2nd, 2005 07:00 AM
padre So, did you guys really get your Bigger Bangs today?
I asked for it in record stores here in Finland and they said it's impossible, that it would come out anywhere before next tuesday...
September 2nd, 2005 07:24 AM
Moonisup yeah, got the CD and the vinyl I pre orderd
September 2nd, 2005 07:24 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
padre wrote:
So, did you guys really get your Bigger Bangs today?
I asked for it in record stores here in Finland and they said it's impossible, that it would come out anywhere before next tuesday...

I am listening to it right now! Bought it this morning in a record store. And i must say.... Laugh I nearly died is one of the best songs the Stones ever recorded. A classic. Jagger is fan-tas-tic. Don't like all the songs (a couple of fillers) but the overall feeling is quite good.
To be continued....
September 2nd, 2005 07:28 AM
padre Dammit! What's the use in listening it on a stupid tuesday compared to a booze-filled weekend?! Damndamn.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)