ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Wishlist my ass, let's play the same!! Fuck the fans
© 2005 Frank Micelotta and Voodoo Chile In Wonderland with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones on BBC2 Friday Return to archive
August 31st, 2005 03:36 PM
BillyBoll For those in the UK or who can get BBC2. There is a Newsnight special on the Stones on Friday at 10.30pm (BST).
August 31st, 2005 03:46 PM
Gazza Excellent!

Apparently, the Stones live performance thats being broadcast in the NFL opener next week is also being shown on Friday September 9th on ITV2's coverage of the event.
August 31st, 2005 03:53 PM
glencar 1030 would be 530 EST over here.
August 31st, 2005 04:02 PM
Gazza yeah, although I doubt you'd get BBC2 in the US (I know you can get BBC America but the schedules wouldnt be the same)

Newsnight is a news programme thats on for about 30-40 minutes from Monday - Friday...I guess its a bit of a combination of that day's news plus something like what "60 Minutes" is like...

The schedules on BBC's website just show it being on as normal and doesnt mention a Stones 'special', though...

They did a great Stones special in 1982 called "20 years on". They'd done a profile on the band when they were on tour in Orlando in 81 and then another in Paris in 82 (which included a great and, unusual for the time, interview with Keith) and then combined the two and added a few more interviews for a special on the band's first 20 years.

Hopefully this one would be as good
August 31st, 2005 04:05 PM
glencar Oh I thought this was the BBC 2 radio guys. No, I only get BBC America on my satellite.
August 31st, 2005 06:54 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
BillyBoll wrote:
For those in the UK or who can get BBC2. There is a Newsnight special on the Stones on Friday at 10.30pm (BST).

Cool, gonna watch it, thanks.
August 31st, 2005 07:43 PM
Sleepy London Clown Great stuff, thanks guys.
September 2nd, 2005 07:33 AM
Gazza

The Stones: still rocking, still controversial

By Robin Denselow
Correspondent, BBC Newsnight

Keith Richards describes being on tour as being back "in the office"

In an exclusive interview at the start of their world tour, rock legends The Rolling Stones talk about life on the road at 60-plus years, US politics and why they didn't play Live 8.

"The idea of retiring is like killing yourself," announced Keith Richards. "It's almost like Hari Kari. I intend to live to 100 and go down in history."

The Rolling Stones guitarist was perched on a flight case in Boston behind the massive 500-ton stage on which the band will be performing for the next year, or more.

He may be 61 now, and look as battered as he has done for most of his career, but he seems delighted to be back at what he calls "the office", on tour with surely the most celebrated surviving veterans in the history of rock and roll.

The Rolling Stones may have been together for an extraordinary 43 years, but in many ways they are still pioneers, and this is a crucial time for them.

No other band has embarked on quite such a massive tour, with well over 100 concerts, when three of the band members are in their 60s.

New album

They will, of course, be playing favourite songs from the past four decades, from Brown Sugar and Satisfaction to Sympathy For The Devil, as well as songs from their new album, A Bigger Bang.

We're weird chemistry but somehow it works... the only time you hear about Mick and me is when we're having a spat - Keith Richards on his relationship with Mick Jagger

It is their first studio set of new songs in eight years and their longest for over three decades. It includes old-style, pared-down Stones' rock songs, as well as ballads, funk, and a reminder of the Stones' early days as a blues band.

"If you don't know the blues," said Richards, "there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music."

There's even a rare political song, Sweet Neo-Con, which revives their reputation for controversy. It's an attack on the American Right, and includes such lyrics as "you call yourself a Christian... I think you are a hypocrite."

It was written by the now Sir Mick Jagger, who has had something of an establishment image since he was knighted nearly two years ago, but now said he felt obliged to tackle American politics.

"It was my feeling for these last two or three years that this kind of politics comes from a very small but very vociferous group of powerful people," said Jagger.

"I think you're always prepared to listen to peoples' points of view, but when they're not working you've got to speak up as well. I think social comment is very much part of what the Rolling Stones have always done."

Knighthoods and politics

Even so, songs about politics - and that knighthood - clearly worried his song-writing partner, Richards.

The Stones' world tour is expected to reach the UK next summer
"I've no problem with the sentiments or anything like that," he said.

"But I didn't want it to become a distraction, a political storm in a tea cup. Very rarely do we touch on political subjects, and I think some of the best ways we've done it were with songs like Street Fighting Man, which were more oblique," he added.

"But on this one he wants to go face-to-face. That's fine. I'm waiting for the counter-attack!"

It was Richards' mistrust of anything to do with politics that kept the band away from the Live 8 concert this summer.

"I just thought the connection between Geldof and the Labour Party was... just too tight, and I don't see that debt reduction is going to feed the babes down there.

"Who is this gratifying and where were the Africans? Where was their say?"

He agreed that both "Sir" Bob Geldof and Sir Mick Jagger had tried to make him change his mind. "Oh yeah - all the Sirs had a bash - every one of them."

The relationship between the two, totally contrasting stars - Jagger and Richards - has always been part of the Rolling Stones' fascination. When asked about Richards' criticism, Jagger simply replied: "He's not a happy person."

The way these guys are going it's a pretty remote chance this is the last one [tour] they are bloody teenagers... I'm trying to keep up

Keith Richards on his fellow Stones
For his part, the apparently jovial Richards added: "Vive la difference. We're weird chemistry but somehow it works. I've known him since I was four - and other brothers' rows don't get in the press. The only time you hear about Mick and me is when we're having a spat."

Mellow Stones?

As for Richards' own, once-notorious lifestyle, he claims he has mellowed with the years.

Appearing on Newsnight 22 years ago, he talked of his years as a gun-carrying heroin addict. Now, he said: "I'm not that way anymore. I'm a family man. I'm a grandfather now - I'm really a benign sort of old chap."

The Rolling Stones are great survivors, but there is clearly the possibility that this could be their last massive-scale world tour.

Drummer Charlie Watts is the oldest Stone at 65, and has been treated for throat cancer.

He said: "I thought I was going to die." Though he has now been cleared he is concerned that "the horrible thing about having anything like that is you can never be 100% sure".

Jagger admitted: "This is a long tour. I don't know what happens after this tour."

Richards was far more upbeat. "The way these guys are going at the moment it's a pretty remote chance that this is the last one.

"They are bloody teenagers, the lot of them. I'm trying to keep up."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robin Denselow's exclusive interview with The Rolling Stones will be broadcast on Newsnight on Friday, 2 September 2005, BBC Two at 2230 BST.
The Rolling Stones' new album - A Bigger Bang - is released on 5 September. Their world tour is expected to reach the UK next summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4204848.stm

Note : It was Robin Denselow who did the Newsnight interviews with the band in 81 and 82 that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Looks like he's in it for the long haul, just like the Stones are.
[Edited by Gazza]
September 2nd, 2005 07:48 AM
Monkeytonk-man Bollocks, can someone tell me whether this is a full 40 minute special, or are they just giving one 'slot' over to the Stones?

I'm supposed to be going out to see an AC/DC tribute band tonight with my mates, but if it's a full on Stones special, I might blow that off and stay in.

Of course if it's only like 5 minutes worth, then I might as well head out to the pub so I can go drinkin' & rockin!

September 2nd, 2005 07:54 AM
Gazza I would seriously doubt that an entire programme would be given over to the Stones. Especially with so much happening news-wise at the moment.

I'd imagine it would be about a 15 minute slot. Tape it
September 2nd, 2005 12:41 PM
Private Godfrey It looks like you can watch this programme live on the internet and for 7 days after the screening - should be good. 10.30 uk time, (it's 5.45pm now, depending on when you read this !)
September 2nd, 2005 03:07 PM
JaggerLips Imagine if it was 'Paxo' Jeremy Paxman interviewing them! LOL

WON'T MISS THIS ONE FOR THE WORLD!!!
September 2nd, 2005 06:20 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'd imagine it would be about a 15 minute slot. Tape it

15 min. exactly, wow Gazza!

That was kind of nice, and funny too.

[Mick being asked about Keith's reaction to Mick's knighthood]
'He [Keith] is not a happy person. If you don't understand that, you don't understand anything.'

September 2nd, 2005 06:31 PM
Gazza yeah that was excellent

Concert footage was bloody good (clips of Start Me Up, Back of My hand and Rough Justice). The interviews were quite funny. Keith was on top form and Mick's comment about Keith was priceless. Charlie looked really well although I thought you could tell he's had treatment done to his neck.

I got the impression the interview was done on the 23rd August, as its at Fenway and Mick mentions Schwarzenegger being at the show "the other night" (ie, the 21st)

Did you notice what it said on Keith's T-shirt? I had to freeze frame it to make it out....."DONT FUCK WITH NATURE" but done in a way you'd need a mirror to see it properly
September 2nd, 2005 06:32 PM
glencar Is there a link? I went to BBC & BBC2 websites & didn't see this. Please help! TIA!
September 2nd, 2005 06:36 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I got the impression the interview was done on the 23rd August, as its at Fenway and Mick mentions Schwarzenegger being at the show "the other night" (ie, the 21st)

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I heard that (and immediately started looking for signs of the so-called argument between Mick and Keith ).

quote:
Gazza wrote:
Did you notice what it said on Keith's T-shirt? I had to freeze frame it to make it out....."DONT FUCK WITH NATURE" but done in a way you'd need a mirror to see it properly

Ah, no, I got no further than 'Don't fuck with...', couldn't make out the bottom word, but I was curious!

Good to hear Charlie too.

See the interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsnight
September 2nd, 2005 06:36 PM
Sleepy London Clown Glencar,

see this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4204848.stm

Then click on "video, latest programme on broadband " banner (or something like that.

Stones feature begins after about 30 mins 30 secs
September 2nd, 2005 06:37 PM
Angiegirl Hre's the direct link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/nb_rm_fs.stm?nbram=1&news=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nol_storyid=4679459
September 2nd, 2005 06:41 PM
Sleepy London Clown Thanks angiegirl, checked this out, but seems to view better through the other web address for some reason? Picture seems clearer and larger. bizarre.
September 2nd, 2005 06:45 PM
Angiegirl Really? I don't see any difference. It's not too good through both .
September 2nd, 2005 06:48 PM
Back Street Girl http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4204848.stm

In an exclusive interview at the start of their world tour, rock legends The Rolling Stones talk about life on the road at 60-plus years, US politics and why they didn't play Live 8.

"The idea of retiring is like killing yourself," announced Keith Richards. "It's almost like Hari Kari. I intend to live to 100 and go down in history."

The Rolling Stones guitarist was perched on a flight case in Boston behind the massive 500-ton stage on which the band will be performing for the next year, or more.

He may be 61 now, and look as battered as he has done for most of his career, but he seems delighted to be back at what he calls "the office", on tour with surely the most celebrated surviving veterans in the history of rock and roll.

The Rolling Stones may have been together for an extraordinary 43 years, but in many ways they are still pioneers, and this is a crucial time for them.

No other band has embarked on quite such a massive tour, with well over 100 concerts, when three of the band members are in their 60s.

New album

They will, of course, be playing favourite songs from the past four decades, from Brown Sugar and Satisfaction to Sympathy For The Devil, as well as songs from their new album, A Bigger Bang.

We're weird chemistry but somehow it works... the only time you hear about Mick and me is when we're having a spat

Keith Richards on his relationship with Mick Jagger
It is their first studio set of new songs in eight years and their longest for over three decades. It includes old-style, pared-down Stones' rock songs, as well as ballads, funk, and a reminder of the Stones' early days as a blues band.

"If you don't know the blues," said Richards, "there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music."

There's even a rare political song, Sweet Neo-Con, which revives their reputation for controversy. It's an attack on the American Right, and includes such lyrics as "you call yourself a Christian... I think you are a hypocrite."

It was written by the now Sir Mick Jagger, who has had something of an establishment image since he was knighted nearly two years ago, but now said he felt obliged to tackle American politics.

"It was my feeling for these last two or three years that this kind of politics comes from a very small but very vociferous group of powerful people," said Jagger.

"I think you're always prepared to listen to peoples' points of view, but when they're not working you've got to speak up as well. I think social comment is very much part of what the Rolling Stones have always done."

Knighthoods and politics

Even so, songs about politics - and that knighthood - clearly worried his song-writing partner, Richards.

The Stones' world tour is expected to reach the UK next summer
"I've no problem with the sentiments or anything like that," he said.

"But I didn't want it to become a distraction, a political storm in a tea cup. Very rarely do we touch on political subjects, and I think some of the best ways we've done it were with songs like Street Fighting Man, which were more oblique," he added.

"But on this one he wants to go face-to-face. That's fine. I'm waiting for the counter-attack!"

It was Richards' mistrust of anything to do with politics that kept the band away from the Live 8 concert this summer.

"I just thought the connection between Geldof and the Labour Party was... just too tight, and I don't see that debt reduction is going to feed the babes down there.

"Who is this gratifying and where were the Africans? Where was their say?"

He agreed that both "Sir" Bob Geldof and Sir Mick Jagger had tried to make him change his mind. "Oh yeah - all the Sirs had a bash - every one of them."

The relationship between the two, totally contrasting stars - Jagger and Richards - has always been part of the Rolling Stones' fascination. When asked about Richards' criticism, Jagger simply replied: "He's not a happy person."

The way these guys are going it's a pretty remote chance this is the last one [tour] they are bloody teenagers... I'm trying to keep up

Keith Richards on his fellow Stones
For his part, the apparently jovial Richards added: "Vive la difference. We're weird chemistry but somehow it works. I've known him since I was four - and other brothers' rows don't get in the press. The only time you hear about Mick and me is when we're having a spat."

Mellow Stones?

As for Richards' own, once-notorious lifestyle, he claims he has mellowed with the years.

Appearing on Newsnight 22 years ago, he talked of his years as a gun-carrying heroin addict. Now, he said: "I'm not that way anymore. I'm a family man. I'm a grandfather now - I'm really a benign sort of old chap."

The Rolling Stones are great survivors, but there is clearly the possibility that this could be their last massive-scale world tour.

Drummer Charlie Watts is the oldest Stone at 65, and has been treated for throat cancer.

He said: "I thought I was going to die." Though he has now been cleared he is concerned that "the horrible thing about having anything like that is you can never be 100% sure".

Jagger admitted: "This is a long tour. I don't know what happens after this tour."

Richards was far more upbeat. "The way these guys are going at the moment it's a pretty remote chance that this is the last one.

"They are bloody teenagers, the lot of them. I'm trying to keep up."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robin Denselow's exclusive interview with The Rolling Stones will be broadcast on Newsnight on Friday, 2 September 2005, BBC Two at 2230 BST.
The Rolling Stones' new album - A Bigger Bang - is released on 5 September. Their world tour is expected to reach the UK next summer.

September 2nd, 2005 06:57 PM
glencar Thanks folks! I'm playing it now but it seems like a news show. I'm going to fast forward a bit...
September 2nd, 2005 07:04 PM
Sleepy London Clown Glencar, if your player show programme time FFWD to about 30 mins 30 secs to jump to the stones piece
[Edited by Sleepy London Clown]
September 2nd, 2005 07:16 PM
glencar Thanks Clown! I've been watching it although the feed quality is poor & it keeps breaking up. Still, a nice piece.
September 2nd, 2005 07:59 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the link, I'm seeing it now.
September 3rd, 2005 06:05 AM
egon very nice. thanks!
September 3rd, 2005 08:59 AM
charlotte Thanks for the link....for those of us on the other side of the...very good!
September 3rd, 2005 03:07 PM
Gazza DVD of it available here :

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=58033
September 3rd, 2005 03:41 PM
thejuf It is the best interview with Keith I have ever seen.
He looked so relaxed!
Charlie was very open about his illness...

Again, one of the best interviews!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)