ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question about the Rolling Stones Return to archive
09-02-03 09:17 AM
JaGgEr Does anybody know who said: 'he is not Pavarotti, is he?' and which person he means?
Greetz and thanx
09-02-03 09:37 AM
steel driving hammer I don't know about that but Keith has said these...

Himself
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" I don't think I'm anything special. Just a regular Rock'n'Roll myth? Yeah. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" I'm a Sagittarius, half-man, half-horse, with a license to shit in the street. "
" Halloween is every night of my life. "
- Oakland 1994.
" I've never turned blue in somebody else's bathroom. I consider that the height of bad manners. "
"I'm quite proud that I never did go and kiss the Maharishi's goddamn feet, you know."
- On psychedelic era.

Drugs & Healthness

" No one else gets the hassles we get and we don't do anything no one else doesn't do. " -
- Keith 1970
" At Redlands '67 bust, the cops waited for George Harrison to leave. They're not prepared to bust the Beatles yet but they've been told to get it on with us. "
- Keith in Stanley Booth's book "Standing in the Shadow".
" We got busted because of popularity, the drugs were just the excuse, the real issue was the effect we were thought to have on the rest of the population. "
- Keith in Stanley Booth's book "Standing in the Shadow".
" I've never had problems with drugs, I had problems with the police. "

"For at least 5 years, undoubtedly, I was the weak link in the chain."
- On his years as a junkie.
" I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had six months to live. If you are going to get wasted, then get wasted elegantly. "
" I don't have to do anything different or lead my life differently just because I happened to take a certain amount of white powder. I never took smack to change anything. "
" I don't like to regret heroin because I learned a lot from it. It was a large part of my life. It is something I went through and dealt with. I'd regret it if I hadn't dealt with it, or if I had OD'd. I would definitely regret then. A lot of my friends, who should by rights be around, aren't, because of it. I don't think it made a damned bit of difference to anybody going to get into it being told 'don't'. In fact it sometimes reinforces the desire to take it. Having been on it I know. If there is anything I do regret, it's its accessibility to very young kids. "
" People hate themselves anyway. If it wasn't smack they'd hate themselves for eating carrot. You can bet on it. "

" The drug thing has become a big deal now, and quite rightly so, because it's being pushed on kids. That, to me, is absolutely repulsive. But if you're a working musician then it's a different situation. No-one's pushing it on you. It's a high risk business for drugs. "
" Did I feel invulnerable? No, I didn't. I always gave a wry smile to find out I was number one on the death list. "
" I never intended staying on heroin forever. I cleaned up because I wanted to. And that's the only way to do it. "
" So white and fluffy you could snort it "
- Keith eyeing his terrier.
" Habits I don't mind. It's addictions that piss me off. "
"I would suggest other people worry about their own health instead of mine, quite honestly. I'm 54 and I kick ass"
" Passing the vodka bottle around. "
- Keith's response to "What's your fitness regime?"
" I'm tired of being number one in the naughty boys' drug poll. It's time they picked on someone else. "
" I would rather be a legend than a dead legend. "

Music

" We're still learning and we'll never stop. You never know it all. "
" And around 1956, I heard Heartbreak Hotel, and the world suddendly went Technicolor "
- Keith from Stanley Booth's book "Standing in the Shadow"
" Music is like Pandora's box. Once you open it you won't know what will happen... "
" You need five strings, you get three notes, you use two fingers, and you get one asshole to play it. "
- About the Open G Tuning
"As long as I can play well and improve in my own life, then, damn it, I'll be playing."
"The whole secret, if there is any secret behind the sound of the Rolling Stones, is the way we work two guitars together."
" There's really one song in the whole world, and probably Adam and Eve hummed it to each other, and everything else is a variation on it in one form to another, you know? "
" You don't create songs. They're not all your creation. You just sort of pluck them out of the air, if you're around and receptive, and then you say: 'I kind of like this', and something about the song says: 'I'm worth the time and the trouble to keep playing me and find out.' And if you hang on to their tail long enough, suddendly you get, 'Ah, there I am, I'm ready.' So you have to listen to the mechanics of the song all the time, and be very receptive to what's it's trying to tell you while you're making it. "
" Music is a necessity. After food, air, water and warmth, music is the next necessity of life. "
" No guitar player can go wrong if they play acoustic guitar steadily, if they keep their hand in on the acoustic. If you keep the acoustic up, it'll help the electric guitar playing. Otherwise you can get into that Fastest Guitar In The West syndrome, which is for rock'n'roll, absolutely a dead-end street. That's rock music, but it ain't rock'n'roll. "
" I didn't say I was a rhythm guitarist, other people made my reputation for me. "
" To me as a musician, your canvas is silence and what you do is fuck around with silence. Same with painting, you are confronted with a rectangular empty space and you splash paint all over it. "
" I don't think Sticky Fingers is a heavy drug album more than the world is a heavy world...I mean you can't take a fucking record like other people take a Bible. It's only a fucking record, man. "
" Mozart is still Mozart and you can't alter the fact that the guy's great. "
"You get Duran Duran come down for a day, walk into our fucking sessions and say, 'What are you doing in that room together?' It's called playing music, man. That's the only way we record, you snotty little turd."
" I could never get along in a band with a posturing, posing lead singer. "
- Keith, on Led Zeppelin.
" Their Satanic Majesties Request was really almost done semi-comatose, sort of, 'Do we really have to make an album?' 'Yeah.' "

Sex

"I'd hate to be a rock n' roll star just starting off now. Get laid & you're gonna get AIDS baby!"
" Oh, I do like the odd fetish. Lingerie is particularly nice to look at. It's even nicer to take off. I can't say the same for my own lingerie. "
- Nov. 1995
" When the prosecuting counsel asked me about chicks in nothing but fur rugs, I said 'I'm not concerned with your petty morals, which are illegitimate.' They couldn't take that one. "
" Because we forgot all their fucking names. "
- asked where they got the album title for "Some Girls".

Life

"A friend to me is one of the blessings, more and more, as I go along. And I don't go along with this thing about ^You can count your best friends on one hand^. If that's so, you ain't farming the right acres. Because friends are everywhere."
- Keith in Stanley Booth's book "Standing in the Shadow"
"Nobody's ever totally free, and free from what? I think a lot of people don't even know what's holding them captive. Sometimes it's themselves."
"The main thing about living on this planet is to know who the hell you are and be real about it. That's the reason I'm still alive."
" I've lived my life my own way, and I'm here today because I have taken the trouble to find out who I am. "
" Live fast, die young, hang around anyway!!!! "
" If you're going to kick society in the teeth, you might as well use both feet. "
"Politics is an ugly word these days, and the only people who make politics an ugly word are politicians, because they are ugly people."
" Being famous is O.K., but in the courtroom it only works against you. "
" I wouldn't say frightening but definitely high in adrenaline. "
- About Altamont

Family

" What children do is grow you up. make you think."
"Family is a special thing. You can't really talk about it, except to say that if you get a chance at it, try it out, because it's one of the most special things that you'll ever get on the face of this earth. It gives you that final missing link of what life's about. While they're lookin upon you as the most wonderful person in the world because you're 'Daddy', they do more for you than you do for them."
" It changes your life, your thinkings; this kid is your little thing, and you think, damn, I helped make that. And it's all full of purity and innocence. And it's just smiling at you and wants to kiss you and hug you. And all it wants to do is just feel you and touch you and you've never felt so loved in your life. It's that bit of love you gave to your own parents. The bit you don't remember, your kids give that back to you. And you realize, I've just been given the first two or three years of my life back."
" If you're lucky enough to be a father, you'll learn a whole new kind of love."

The Rolling Stones

" It's Charlie Watt's band, without him we wouldn't have a group. "
Question: " Keith, why don't you sing more? "
Keith: " What would Mick do? "

"I kept putting off making a solo album for a long time because making it would mean that I had to admit to myself that I failed to keep my band together." " It would be ridiculous for me to cut a solo album because it would only sound like the Stones without Mick singing. "
"Even if the Stones never played another note ... Mick and I still have to deal with each other for the rest of our lives with the business of the last 25 years."
"I didn't think it was necessary for him to do THAT kind of album .... I thought it'd be something he couldn't do with the Stones, rather than an obviously COMMERCIAL rock and roll album."
- On Mick's solo career.
" The only things Mick and I disagree about is the band, the music and what we do. "
"Being pop stars didn't even come into the realm of possibility."
"A large percentage of American women wouldn't be half as liberated if it wasn't for the Rolling Stones."
"Succes never came into it. We just thought, 'Wouldn't it be great if we could play one night a week with a few people dancing?' "
" What really fascinated me was that they really thought that three Herberts with guitars were a threat to the social structure of the country. "
" Well, just look at us, darling "
- Response to a reporter who asked why there was so much excitement about the upcoming Voodoo Lounge tour.
" We never did anything consciously to shock people. All we ever did was answer the call of nature. "
" You know, there were times when it was like the Stones were holding a gun at the head of the world. Other times, it felt like the other way around. "
" Subversive, of course we're subversive. But if they really believe you can start a revolution with a record, they are wrong. "
" We have become very interested in magic and we are very serious about this trip ... We are hoping to see this magician who practises both white and black magic. He has a very long and difficult name which we cannot pronounce - we just call him Banana for short. "
- Sunday Express, Dec. 8, 1968, before his trip to Brazil.
Keith: " He (Mick) does to tend to write the same song over and over again. "
LR: " He completely denied it of course. He said it wasn't at all the same song. "
Keith: " Yeah, he doesn't know, he just is not a musician. " [laughs]
- Interview with Lisa Robinson, comparing Neighbours and Send It To Me (1981).

What other people said about Keith

" We lovingly named Keith Mr. Unhealth. He always looked like the unhealthiest cat in the group. But we knew he was the strongest physically. Keith was always the first to look really devastated. And once he looked devastated, he'd go for weeks looking no more or less devastated. Meanwhile, the others would slowly deteriorate. But Keith did it rapidly and stayed that way. He really is Mr. Unhealth."
Alexis Korner, in Stanley Booth's book "Standing in the Shadow"
" It's his band (Keith Richards), not Mick's. Without Keith in the studio the whole thing is a mess. Once Keith walks in the door, suddendly it gels."
Jim Barber, guitarist.
" You can see that all Keith's infamy and fortune don't matter much to him. When he puts on the guitar, the lines disappear from his face."
Bono, U2.
" The kind of sparks that fly between Charlie and Keith, I don't think that happens in bands that have been together for 2 years ... it takes decades of playing together to get that kind of rapport."
Don Was, producer.
" Our band don't follow the drummer, our band follow the rhythm guitarist."
Bill Wyman.
09-02-03 10:52 AM
quackenbush When Wymann was asked what he thought of Keith's album, he said, "He is not Pavoratti, is he?"