ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WINTER Return to archive
08-30-03 11:15 PM
GLIMTWIN GREAT TUNE "WINTER"
08-31-03 01:40 AM
Boomy Sure is. I tell ya, that thing will never be touched by the Stones for a live show.
08-31-03 11:13 AM
jaggergurl Winter is a fantastic song...and I have just started to really appreciate Goat's Head Soup a lot more lately....but I find myself...hiting the 'repeat' button more and more for Winter and Silver Train and Save Me when I listen to it lately....

08-31-03 11:21 AM
texmaps Mick Taylor and Carla Olson do an awesome version of Winter. If you havent heard it, you really need to check it out.
08-31-03 11:46 AM
T&A yes, the Olson/Taylor version is great - checks in at around 11 minutes, most of which is a drawn-out MT solo. They recorded two versions of this song, and I read somewhere that MT was looking for an outlet for the second version...hasn't come out yet, though.

I love the song, but always felt it was an attempt to do another YCAGWYW - very similar "feel" to it in terms of song construction.
08-31-03 02:50 PM
Shockspeeder Goat's Head Soup is my favorite next to Banquet, Winter is very beautiful and Dancing w/ Mr D. gets raunchier everytime I spin it.
09-01-03 07:38 AM
crb69 I'm also into 100 years ago and jammin' my acoustic to Coming down again. Love the live versions of Mr. D & Heartbreaker from Brussels with that extended jam at the end featuring Billy Preston. Is anyone here familiar with the European live import of Billy Preston playing with Mick Taylor? It was recorded during the 73 European tour when he opened for the Stones (w/MT)...I haven't heard it and was wondering if it's worth the $30. Anyone?
09-01-03 10:14 AM
Zeeta Oh YEAH!!!

Taylor's solo gives me goose bumps every fuckin time hear it!
Many Stones songs do that though aswell as When The Whip Comes Down (recorded version). I dunno why - yes I do it's Charlie's holding back of giving it some then all of a sudden towards the end he really does a great drum role (or whatever it's called) about 4.30 I believe.

Is there something wrong with me guys???
Most people would not associate WTWCD with goose bumps??!!!!!

Please help!!!!
09-01-03 10:19 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Zeeta wrote:

Is there something wrong with me guys???
Most people would not associate WTWCD with goose bumps??!!!!!

Please help!!!!

Zeeta...my dear....of COURSE there is something wrong with you. There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with all of us. That's why we are here on RO!!!

LOL

LadyJ.
09-01-03 10:38 AM
Zeeta My darling Lady - We are all united in our illness!!!

09-01-03 09:40 PM
sirfito Yes: Winter it's a great song. And Goats Heaad Soup a great album, too! Always liked it, always, since it was released and I was buy it (30 years ago).
The version of Taylor / Olson it's incredible. 12 min. Mick's solo it's superb!
Cheers,
Fito
09-01-03 09:48 PM
steel driving hammer I think Ronnie would of done a better solo on Winter, today, and back in the day.
09-02-03 03:00 AM
hotlicks Goats head soup is one of my all time favourites, most fans go for beggs banq,let it bleed ,sticky fingers & exile as the four classic albums but i think GHS made it five in a row......but maybe iorr made it six.......and then again maybe black n blue made seven in a row
09-02-03 04:00 AM
duijf SDH: Are you kidding? I sure hope so.
09-02-03 05:50 AM
Zack On Winter, Jagger's pronounciation of "south" and "out" befuddle me. What kind of bizarre accent was he trying to affect that time?

Also the string arrangement kills the solo, if you ask me. Like with Time Waits, Taylor's beautiful playing is horrifically marred by the mix.

SDH, was that shot taken "before" or "after"? Just curious.
09-02-03 10:37 AM
littleredrooster With that comment by Steelie....

We all know that he's back on the Sterno and Methyl alcohol
Frappucinos!!

Rooostah

09-02-03 02:42 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
I think Ronnie would of done a better solo on Winter, today, and back in the day.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!