ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who is Mickboy? Return to archive
08-30-03 09:34 PM
Jumping Jack Joe I hear this name thrown around a lot amongst Stones traders and I'm wondering exactly who/what this Mickboy is? Can somebody please fill me in.

Thanks
08-31-03 07:53 AM
MRD8 Mickboy is a Stones fan who lives in Washington State here in the U.S. who has remastered several of the Stones albums and live shows...some of his studio remasters are taking on legendary status, especially his Exile On Main Street which is called Exiles Revisted...besides doing a great job on the album itself he also adds several outtakes/alternate versions and some live tracks...
08-31-03 10:56 AM
steel driving hammer I've always wondered who that bastard was.

Thanks.
08-31-03 11:48 AM
T&A Personally, I think the guy does a nice job tossing in the outtakes - but as far as his "remastering" work...well, let's just say you can only do so much when you're working from sources other than the master tapes. A lot of these 'reissues' get way over-hyped, IMO....
08-31-03 12:36 PM
MRD8 Obviously you haven't heard many of them on a good stereo system...he took Exiles from the virgin vinyl LP's that were released in Japan only...the soutce was as close to the master as a fan can get...then he improved them vastly IMHO!
08-31-03 04:26 PM
Gazza I agree with MRD8. His work on "Exile" is superb. However, the biggest improvement for me is on "Goats Head Soup" which is like night and day compared to the muddy mix on the original
08-31-03 05:15 PM
lonecrapshooter Mickboy is one cool dude! I agree with Gazza. I rediscovered Goats Head Soup thanks to Mickboy. So many great songs on that album. The artwork and commentary with the cds are great too.
08-31-03 05:34 PM
steel driving hammer Just about anyone w/ an equalizer can remaster an album though right?

All Mickboy did on GHS was take out a little bass.
09-01-03 12:37 AM
Sir Stonesalot Wrong.

That is not all Mickboy did to GHS. And it takes far more than an equalizer to do remastering to the extent that he does it.

I'm glad to say that over the past few years Mickboy & I have become cyber pals. My curiosity as to just HOW he gets those mixes led us to swap many an email...with Mickboy patiently answering all my silly questions. He is a great guy, and a real gem of a music fan. We are damn lucky to have a guy around like him.

Let me say this. Mickboy worked on GHS for almost a year before he got it right to his ears. Exile took almost as long. What he does requires a talented ear, and the patience of a saint.

All hail Mickboy! Scourge of poor production values, friend of Stones fans everywhere.
09-01-03 02:54 AM
padre You got that right. Hail Mickboy!
09-01-03 07:11 AM
bez85 yes SDH all you need is an equalizer, anybody can do it if you don't have the master tapes..I have some Mickboy stuff and it's ok but he is over-rated in my opinion
09-01-03 11:48 AM
T&A bez85 - exactly.

Look, I'm sure Mickboy is a great guy - and I really appreciate the effort the guy makes. But, having listened to all his work (save for the recent LIB one), doing numerous a-b comparisons against the Virgin releases on some $15k worth of stereo equipment, my friends and I have come to conclusion that the "upgrades" are marginal at best. I invite others to trade for these and draw their own conclusions, though...