ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Looks like the Portugal show is confirmed... Return to archive
08-30-03 06:11 AM
caro Had anyone posted this already?

U.K. - AFP

Rolling Stones set to inaugurate Euro 2004 stadium in Portugal
Fri Aug 29, 1:23 PM ET

LISBON (AFP) - Rock veterans the Rolling Stones will end their current European tour with a concert in Portugal in September to inaugurate one of the 10 stadia which will host the 2004 European soccer championship finals next summer, local officials said.

AFP/CONTINENTAL/File Photo

The legendary band -- which is celebrating its 40th anniversary -- will take their act to a newly-renovated 30,000-seat stadium located in the heart of the university city of Coimbra on September 27, a city councillor told the Lusa news agency.

"It will be the event of the year in the country," Nuno Freitas said.

Construction crews have added 17,000 seats to the 45-year-old stadium as part of its first-ever renovation in order to prepare the venue for the European football finals.

The stadium, located some 200 kilometres (120 miles) northeast of Lisbon, will host two of the 31 matches of the sporting event.

Portugal are completely renovating two other stadia and are building seven others to host Euro 2004, one of the largest sporting events after the Olympics and the World Cup.

The ten stadia will have a seating capacity of 380,000 -- almost four percent of Portugal's total population -- and are expected to cost 800 million euros (870 million dollars) when the price-tag for amenities and road access are added to the bill.

Up to three million people are expected to visit Portugal because of the tournament, which will be played between June 12 and July 4.

[Edited by caro]
08-30-03 04:29 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Portugal huh? One of my favorite places.
VIVA AMALIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hi Mother Baby!
Wow, seems that you used to travel quite a lot around the world.
I can easily remember when when you were talking with my compatriot "Vampire" aka. Jair Motta about brazilian people who you knew.

I really would like to travel to Portugal among many reasons (including watching a Rolling Stones show) the most important is the fact my late Grandfather told me many interesting stories about his childhood in that beatiful and pleasant little country. My grandaddy died at the age of 91 very lucid and always with a nostalgic beatiful and deep feeling.

Viva Mother!

Abraços!
08-31-03 06:48 AM
Ern I'm Portuguese and I'm so happy!!!
I will not miss the concert!!!
[Edited by Ern]
08-31-03 03:23 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Ern wrote:
I'm Portuguese and I'm so happy!!!
I will not miss the concert!!!
[Edited by Ern]

Olá Ern. É um prazer falar com outro irmão de língua e o principal, um irmão Stonemaníaco.
Se quiser manter contato, seria muito bom.
Um abraço "gajo"!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-31-03 03:33 PM
marko also more shows for usa,,,,,,,,,,,,,
08-31-03 04:58 PM
J.J.Flash What about that "almost" confirmed South America leg for 2004?
According to the last official info, they would release the Live CD/DVD, the "mysterious" new album and after, according to the "news" I'm mentioning, in 2004 they would start the new leg of the tour in South America?
Does anybody know something more about it? Any reply will be appreciated.
Thanks guys!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
08-31-03 05:17 PM
caro well I don't know but I really like the part about the "mysterious new album" !
And I'd certainly love to tour to Brazil, with or without a Stones concert
08-31-03 08:29 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
caro wrote:
well I don't know but I really like the part about the "mysterious new album" !
And I'd certainly love to tour to Brazil, with or without a Stones concert

I like that line Caro. You're so kind bro!
Come to stay a couple of days on the end of the year!
I hope the boys could play here on the begining of 2004.
09-01-03 03:47 PM
caro
quote:
You're so kind bro!

Sis !!
Anyway, thanks for the invitation. But I don't know where the hell I could find the money for the trip.
By the way, have you seen Cidade de Deus? As far as I remember, it was quite successful in Brazil...I can still hear the dialogues from this film. I like the way Brazilians talk - the accent, the way they stress the words, all that. The days after we saw the movie, a friend and I kept talking portuguese, 'cause it sounded so good !
BTW, it was a cool film, too.
09-01-03 03:55 PM
glencar Portugal seems like a great country. Have they had a Stones concert in the last few tours?
09-01-03 04:55 PM
Ern
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Olá Ern. É um prazer falar com outro irmão de língua e o principal, um irmão Stonemaníaco.
Se quiser manter contato, seria muito bom.
Um abraço "gajo"!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]

És de Portugal ou do Brasil?
09-02-03 11:13 AM
J.J.Flash Sou brasileiro. Tenho sangue português nas minhas veias, parentesco direto. Meu falecido avô paterno, Francisco Antonio Mira. De acordo com as belas e saudosas histórias contadas com muita nostalgia por ele, até onde recordo, ele era da região de Matosinhos e seu pai dentre outras coisas, lidava com produção caseira de vinhos.
Mande uma PM se quiser manter contato. Seria um imenso prazer.
Um abraço!
09-02-03 11:14 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
glencar wrote:
Portugal seems like a great country. Have they had a Stones concert in the last few tours?

As long as I remember, yep!
By the way, some tracks from Stripped were recorded in Lisbon.