ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor was never scheduled to play Astoria Return to archive
08-29-03 06:15 PM
Miss U. According to MickTaylor.net
08-29-03 06:31 PM
KeithRichards210 Shit, it figures. All that excitement for nothing...
[Edited by KeithRichards210]
08-29-03 06:38 PM
T&A Bullshit - that's called CYA. How do you account for the little mystery surrounding Rock Me Baby if he wasn't going to play? Doesn't add up....
08-29-03 06:41 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
T&A wrote:
Bullshit - that's called CYA. How do you account for the little mystery surrounding Rock Me Baby if he wasn't going to play? Doesn't add up....

Well you DO have a point there.
My theory behind this whole thing is that Taylor wanted to play on CYHMK, or at least a Stones tune he's known for. When the Stones said no, he may have said "well fuck you then" and dropped out. It's just a theory, but it wouldn't surprise me..
08-29-03 07:01 PM
Miss U. Possibly, T & A. But then if the band knew HTW was to replace Rock Me Baby, why was the band completely lost when Keith went into Honky Tonk Women? Would they really need to replace RMB anyway if Taylor wasn't on it? Just some questions to ponder...If there was some kind of disagreement between Taylor & the band, would he have stayed around for the entire show?
The first half of the setlist seems perfect for Taylor, I can't believe they would have had him on for 1 song only, if he was to play....that would have been a definite insult to MT if they made a setlist like that but only would have him play on RMB; who would blame MT then for saying no. Rock Me Baby really sticks out like a sore thumb in that setlist, doesn't it. HTW would be much more favorable for MT to play on, and the crowd would prefer it too....
Imagine the crowd would have gone wild to hear a stones tune(s) with MT on it, the stones know that.
Maybe KR changed to HTW at the last second now that MT wouldn't be playing.
[Edited by Miss U.]
[Edited by Miss U.]
08-29-03 07:11 PM
T&A HTW makes no sense to put MT onto - no space for his lead work. RMB is the logical vehicle for him to play - doesn't require any rehearsal - just make sure the ol' guitar is plugged in for his 12 bars. I'm absolutely positive that was the plan - RMB has been the guest spot song for several blues guitarists on the tour - Youngs, Lang, Guy, etc...

Why it didn't happen? still wide open to speculation. But, there's not an iota of doubt in my mind that that was the plan, regardless of what the MT site reports. MT himself had said a few weeks ago he would play with them.
08-29-03 07:24 PM
Miss U. MT is very soft-spoken. Maybe there was some misconstruing of what he actually said with that rumour. Maybe he changed his mind after that. Or maybe MT thought he would actually play with the stones for a decent set, not just on one standard blues song with no space for him to shine, and so MT said no...
Would MT need alot of rehearsal time to do those numbers?
Maybe because of some personal disagreement that happened around the time of the show, someone in the band told him to only play on RMB, and MT declined...
08-29-03 07:43 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
MT is very soft-spoken. Maybe there was some misconstruing of what he actually said with that rumour. Maybe he changed his mind after that. Or maybe MT thought he would actually play with the stones for a decent set, not just on one standard blues song with no space for him to shine, and so MT said no...
Would MT need alot of rehearsal time to do those numbers?
Maybe because of some personal disagreement that happened around the time of the show, someone in the band told him to only play on RMB, and MT declined...

Yea..it's very possible Mick wanted to play more, and felt a bit insulted. Who knows?
08-29-03 07:54 PM
Dan They didnt have a guest on Rock Me Baby at the Wiltern. I am more likely to believe that he wasn't scheduled at all and HTW was a last minute setlist change.
08-29-03 08:33 PM
wkoetke How many examples will it take for everyone to realize that Taylor is not going to play with the Stones ever again? Even for one song!! I know it's fun to dream about, but please...when will this end?

This guy quit the stones, sued the stones, isn't generally liked by mick and keith, and they would have nothing to gain by including him.

Well, okay, they'd have fan satisfaction to gain - including my own - I love mick taylor's playing, but I have to laugh whenever these endless taylor rumours / debates / hopes keep appearing. Not even Bill - who is universally adored - has played with them since leaving. This isn't a band you can quit and then reappear with.

Ain't gonna happen ever. Anyone who thinks otherwise has an agenda or is delusional.

08-29-03 09:07 PM
Angiegirl I like being delusional. It's my favorite state of mind. I know there's only a small chance or even no chance of this stuff happening, but I think it's fun to discuss and hope for. What else are we supposed to do? We don't have lives, we're Stones fans .
08-29-03 09:27 PM
FM [quote]T&A wrote:
HTW makes no sense to put MT onto

Wasn't this the song that announced MT as
a Stone. A re-working of Country Honk ?

MT made HTW women what it was, no ?

Fraser

"Get drunk and sing along to Queen
Practice my T-Rex moves and make the scene"

"Just love those laser guided bombs
They're really great for righting wrongs
You hit the target and win the game
From bars 3,000 miles away"

"He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar"
08-30-03 01:34 AM
Sir Stonesalot I still don't understand what the big deal is.

Taylor didn't play....so what. Makes no difference in the world to me.
08-30-03 01:12 PM
Miss U. Upon further investigation, I don't think he was even scheduled to play.
08-30-03 02:29 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
wkoetke wrote:

This guy quit the stones, sued the stones, isn't generally liked by mick and keith, and they would have nothing to gain by including him.

Uh..is that why Taylor played on "Talk Is Cheap"?
I think all three have gotten over any bad feelings by now. And the Stones would have everything to gain by including him. Like a LEAD GUITARIST...
08-30-03 04:21 PM
Night Clerk [quote]wkoetke wrote:
How many examples will it take for everyone to realize that Taylor is not going to play with the Stones ever again? Even for one song!! I know it's fun to dream about, but please...when will this end?

Well, okay, they'd have fan satisfaction to gain - including my own - I love mick taylor's playing, but I have to laugh whenever these endless taylor rumours / debates / hopes keep appearing. Not even Bill - who is universally adored - has played with them since leaving. This isn't a band you can quit and then reappear with.

Wait...Bill Wyman is "universally adored"?
08-30-03 04:23 PM
full moon Mick Ficking Taylor is a puss.....
08-30-03 04:29 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
According to MickTaylor.net

crap
08-30-03 09:21 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
full moon wrote:
Mick Ficking Taylor is a puss.....

THIS is ridiculous..