ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: London Wembley Arena - 29 August - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
08-29-03 04:27 PM
Angiegirl Gazza to text message Angie:

Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Bitch
Love In Vain
Monkey Man
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
--Band Introductions--
Slipping Away (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Love Train
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Respectable (B-stage)
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Gazza said: Great Show!! Also Mark said it was a wonderful show.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-29-03 04:29 PM
Angiegirl It's the Let It Bleed theme again. Heard Love In Vain through phone from Mark, Mick's voice sounded ok, but difficult to hear through phone in a larger venue.
08-29-03 04:29 PM
jb Any Taylor or Wyman sightings? What is Gazza'a #-I would like to text message him.
[Edited by jb]
08-29-03 04:34 PM
Angiegirl I'm not sure Gazza is interested in his phone during the Stones, so I'm not going to give you his # without his personal permission. Like your new status tho Josh .
08-29-03 04:40 PM
GimmeExile Angiegirl, I like your Website! The color, graphics and intuitive layout is one of the best I've seen...Hope you add more content...Do you trade Black Crowes bootlegs, too?
08-29-03 04:53 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Angiegirl, I like your Website! The color, graphics and intuitive layout is one of the best I've seen...Hope you add more content...Do you trade Black Crowes bootlegs, too?

Thanx Exile! I'm too busy right now to finish it, but it will be within the next weeks/months. I'm also working on some other sites, so together with all the Stones shows that's the reason I haven't finished/updated my site yet.

I have only 2 Crowes bootlegs, so not much trading there. But you can always email me for specific questions of course: [email protected]
08-29-03 06:21 PM
steel driving hammer Brian Jones didn't play?
08-29-03 06:36 PM
T&A gotta gotta gotta love the love train...
08-29-03 06:43 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Brian Jones didn't play?

Nahhh...he was too busy eating cheeseburgers with Mick Taylor and Bill...
08-29-03 09:20 PM
kath no "coke"...pepsi.
08-29-03 09:28 PM
LadyJane Review from IORR!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Review by Tom Burton
Friday's show at Wembley Arena was the first time in 5 years I'd seen the Stones in an arena versus the usual stadium show so I was looking forward to it (I unfortunately couldn't get tix to the Astoria club gig short of remortgaging the flat!).
The Stones materialised in full-pelt mode with a blistering Street Fighting Man (welcome back to sleepy London town!) and Start Me Up, followed by Don't Stop. Then the set got more interesting, with a Let It Bleed mini-set of Love In Vain, Monkey Man and a great Midnight Rambler. We also got If You Can't Rock Me and, for a treat, an extended jam on Can You Hear Me Knocking - excellent sax solo from Bobby Keys and then an awesome tour-de-force by Ronnie Wood - he really was on fire tonight, playing some excellent slide and lead guitar (he's not usually known for his stand-out solos!), running around with loads of interaction with the other band members.

Next up was the Keef slot with Slipping Away from Steel Wheels, plus Happy on his faithful 5-string telecaster. Mick came out and they covered an upbeat Love Train - Lisa accidentally missed the cue to end the song and carried on singing for a few seconds which made Mick smile so they had to pretend to do another chorus to finish it properly. With HTW, Tumbling Dice and Satisfaction they were back to full-on stadium mode.

Then it was over to the mini-stage for Respectable, IORR and Brown Sugar before disappearing from view and reappearing for the JJF encore on the main stage, red confetti showering from the rafters to the cheering crowd. All in all, another great show from the boys!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Ronnie was on fire tonight."

Is it just me, or does anyone else not buy into this constant Woody bashing? The man's been with the band for 28 years and what I saw of the Licks Tour...he was amazing!!

I think he deserves some props!!

LadyJ.
08-29-03 09:39 PM
Angiegirl Constant Woody bashing? It's not constant, he just hasn't played great on all Euro shows. We say it when he's great too (see the review you just copied). Don't understand...I see loads of reviews saying Ronnie's great so that's not exactly bashing. You could say the same about Keith. Some nights and in some reviews he's great and on some other nights and other reviews he's not.
08-29-03 09:57 PM
LadyJane I disagree!!

The official reviews have been quite fair.

It's remarks comparing MT to RW as comparing filet mignon to roadkill or comments such as "might as well put a cigar-store Indian up there with a smoke in his mouth and a Strat stuffed up its ass" that are starting to wear thin.

I just don't feel Ronnie is getting the respect he deserves.

LadyJ.
08-29-03 10:09 PM
Angiegirl I am curious as to what 'official reviews' are...
Anyway, you're right about comparing Wood and Taylor. There's no point, it's another time and another person. Comparing makes no sense, I agree completely!
08-29-03 11:40 PM
McQueen Amen to that.

And a most appreciative nod your way LadyJ

08-30-03 04:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man Last night was the last Stones show on this tour for me. It was BY FAR the best show i have seen. The sound was crystal clear. Ronnie was high in the mix and Chuck was very low. Do you want to know the biggest suprise? I enjoyed Love Train!

Alex

08-30-03 08:57 AM
montana 20 small pix here:

http://newsandsport.gettyimages.com/source/CFW/searchResults.aspx?ss=2443407&as=0&pp=16&df=0&be=0&lv=1&bt=0&si=0&osi=0&opp=16&by=2&sub=-1&src=-1&da=0&db=&de=&ph=&cns=&sts=&cts=&pes=&lr=500

cheers, lour
08-30-03 04:22 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Last night was the last Stones show on this tour for me. It was BY FAR the best show i have seen. The sound was crystal clear. Ronnie was high in the mix and Chuck was very low. Do you want to know the biggest suprise? I enjoyed Love Train!
Alex

Yeah, GREAT show. Brass and Sjuk Low in the mix, loud guitars, GREAT show, even better astoria, wich was 1 big disappointment for me..
08-30-03 06:52 PM
Angiegirl Good to hear from people all over the i-net that it was such a great show! Looking forward to Dublin even more now.
08-30-03 07:54 PM
Gazza Very impressive concert. I think the two most recent shows I've seen (Astoria and Wembley) were probably the best I've ever seen them. Thats definitely not a bad sign, I think!

If Keith was MVP at Astoria, I personally thought Woody was the man of the night at this one. He played his skinny ass off (even though he still found plenty of time for clowning).

Pretty much a faultless show. Sound was big and boomy and very guitar orientated from where I was sitting. The whole band seemed very happy, with great camaraderie (as has been the case all week in London - if this band is road weary and bored, theyre putting on quite a disguise)

"Midnight Rambler" was awesomely dirty. One of the all time great versions. Was pleased to get a "let it Bleed" theme after the two arena shows I'd seen last year were both "Exile" shows (great though that is,it was a nice change).

Everyone I spoke to seemed pretty unanimous about this one being a killer of a performance. After the setback of Twickenham 1 being postponed, it was a perfect end to a wonderful week of shows
08-30-03 07:59 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I think we need some words of wisdom from our old friend Bob Dylan to orient us in our discussion.

"Last night the wind was whisprin',
I was tryin' to make out what it was,
Last night the wind was whisprin' somethin',
I was tryin' to make out what it was,
I tell myself somethin's comin', and then I yell
TREEEEEEE THIIIIIIS FUUUCCCCCKKKKER!"

I love that song.

-tSYX --- Boys, I'm going to speak to the crowd...
08-31-03 07:48 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Wow, this sure was a great show, with great sound, Chuck and brass low in the mix and Keef and Ronnie were LOUD!!!
08-31-03 08:38 AM
luxury1 Gazza--thanks so much for the review. I too look for camaraderie among the band members. If they are happy and laughing with each other, than I am satisfied, mistakes and all. In fact, I love when they do mess up and look at each other and crack up or make some funny grimace. I remember the PPV Voodoo Lounge special when SFM was a total mess, and Mick looks back at Charlie and makes this "Holy shit, what a mess" face/smile, and then says into the mic "Christ, I thought it would never end." So relieved to hear that they ended the London leg on such a strong, positive note.
08-31-03 10:02 AM
LadyJane Luxy...I agree completely!!!

Gazza's reviews have put my fears of "band meltdown" to rest...at least for the moment!!

LadyJ.
08-31-03 09:33 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I disagree!!

The official reviews have been quite fair.

It's remarks comparing MT to RW as comparing filet mignon to roadkill or comments such as "might as well put a cigar-store Indian up there with a smoke in his mouth and a Strat stuffed up its ass" that are starting to wear thin.

I just don't feel Ronnie is getting the respect he deserves.

LadyJ.

Sorry for the irritating remarks about Woody. I guess I had that coming..
Yes indeed I got a bit harsh, but perhaps a lot of it is because of all the goddamn Taylor-bashing. Anyone who can play like MT (which truthfully is far superior, like it or not) doesn't need the derogatory shit either. I say perhaps the best course of action is to leave them both alone. Fair 'nuff?
09-01-03 11:21 PM
MarthaMyDear Here's my review of this show:

I went.
It ruled.
Had an excellent time.
Don't you wish you saw it?!?!?! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Just playing!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!
lol........................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
PEACE!!!
lol........................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
09-02-03 10:05 AM
jb Nice to see all the rocks-off people had a wonderful time....