ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rollingstone.com review of Astoria Return to archive
08-29-03 03:19 PM
sandrew http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=18592

Stones Get Soulful in London

Temptations, Otis, Smokey Robinson covers highlight classic set

Outside the Astoria, on Charing Cross Road, tickets were changing hands for $1500. Inside, in front of the luckiest 2,000 people in London, the Rolling Stones played the most intimate show of the British leg of their world tour Wednesday night.

After storming the stage with a muscular "Jumping Jack Flash," the Stones stomped right into "Live With Me." Then Mick Jagger -- in a T-shirt adorned with his own name -- paused for a minute to address the hometown crowd. "We're gonna do a few different numbers we don't usually do," he said. "The problem is, we don't know them as well."

"Don't know what album this is from," he admitted before Beggars Banquet's "No Expectations," which featured Ronnie Wood on lap steel guitar. And for a searing "Worried About You" (from Tattoo You), Jagger himself played piano, and employed a fearsome falsetto that built to a riveting climax.

The Stones backed it up with soul covers from the Temptations ("Ain't Too Proud to Beg") to Otis Redding ("That's How Strong My Love Is," "Can't Turn You Loose."

In the middle of the show, Keith Richards performed a two-song solo set of the standard "Nearness of You" and "Before They Make Me Run." Looking around, he announced that the Astoria was a "nice joint." "They're a funny bunch [The Rolling Stones]," he said, "you should work with these people."

Classic hits "Honky Tonk Women," "Start Me Up," "Tumbling Dice" and "Brown Sugar" closed out the set.

After a riotous "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" for an encore, the Rolling Stones closed the show with the four core members taking a bow in a tight spotlight -- still on top.

Set list:

Jumping Jack Flash
Live With Me
Hand of Fate
No Expectations
Worried About You
Doo Doo Heartbreaker
It's Only Rock & Roll
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
That's How Strong My Love Is
Going to a Go Go
Nearness of You
Before They Make Me Run
Can't Turn You Loose
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

JACK ILES
(August 28, 2003)
08-29-03 03:21 PM
jb No mention of MT....
08-29-03 03:37 PM
sandrew I'll be anxious to hear if Stonesdoug is able to confirm that Taylor didn't make the sound check. If that's true, I'm guessing he had a good excuse, if he still made it backstage and partied with the band, which Gazza reported.
08-29-03 03:42 PM
jb Maybe Mick T really does freak out before these events?
08-29-03 03:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot What is the big deal?

Who cares if Taylor plays or not?

If he plays...fine. If he doesn't...fine.

It doesn't matter, either way is good.
08-29-03 04:31 PM
Factory Girl It would have bben extremely wonderful if Taylor had played. Would have been most memorable concert on this tour.
08-29-03 04:32 PM
beer i care if taylor plays or not. i am not delusional here. i do not expect taylor to play with the stones and have it be just like brussels '73 or the incredible good old days. i just would like to see all the stones on stage playing together.simple as that. mick taylor is a stone, anybody that says he's not, doesn't know shit. taylor is one of the best things that happened to this band and he deserves to play with them again. to the people that call him a quitter, he was totally justified to leave the band when he did. i love the stones, but i really can't stand mick jagger as a person (though i've never met him). also, it is literally painful to watch ronnie wood fuck around on stage putting more effort into smoking a cigarrette than playing the guitar. i have massive respect for ronnie, but this is getting ridiculous.

just my opinion
08-29-03 04:50 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
beer wrote:
i care if taylor plays or not. i am not delusional here. i do not expect taylor to play with the stones and have it be just like brussels '73 or the incredible good old days. i just would like to see all the stones on stage playing together.simple as that. mick taylor is a stone, anybody that says he's not, doesn't know shit. taylor is one of the best things that happened to this band and he deserves to play with them again. to the people that call him a quitter, he was totally justified to leave the band when he did. i love the stones, but i really can't stand mick jagger as a person (though i've never met him). also, it is literally painful to watch ronnie wood fuck around on stage putting more effort into smoking a cigarrette than playing the guitar. i have massive respect for ronnie, but this is getting ridiculous.

just my opinion

Mine too, Beer!! You've summed up things rather nicely. I'm sick of that "Taylor quit" bullshit too. So what? He left for a reason, and it's not up to us to judge whether he was right or not. Woody is a great personality, and a great artist too. But live on stage with the Stones? Might as well put a cigar-store Indian up there with a smoke in his mouth and a Strat stuffed up its ass.
OK, rant over..
08-30-03 02:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot beer says: >mick taylor is a stone<

The Rolling Stones are:

Mick Jagger
Keith Richards
Charlie Watts
Ron Wood

Mick Taylor is NOT a member of the Rolling Stones, and has not been a member of the Rolling Stones since 1974. A more accurate statement is:

Mick Taylor WAS a Stone.

>anybody that says he's not, doesn't know shit.<

Well then, I must have missed the press conference announcing his rejoining the band.

Actually, for a guy who made the semifinals of the trivia contest, one would think you'd know who the current line-up of the Rolling Stones consisted of.

>to the people that call him a quitter, he was totally justified to leave the band when he did.<

Perhaps that is true. Yet it does not change the fact that Mick Taylor did indeed quit the Rolling Stones. Justified or not, the simple fact is that he quit. There is no debating that. Since Taylor did indeed quit, he is a quitter. I quit smoking about 8 years ago, that makes me a quitter as well. It's just a word.

>i really can't stand mick jagger as a person (though i've never met him).<

If you have never met the man, how do you know that you can't stand him? Judging a book by it's cover?

Oh I just LOVED this one KR210:

>But live on stage with the Stones? Might as well put a cigar-store Indian up there with a smoke in his mouth and a Strat stuffed up its ass.<

I've seen the Stones live 11 times. I can only remember Ron playing air guitar twice...the 2 DC shows on the No Security Tour. And even those two shows had moments where Ronnie played pretty well.

I think just about ANYONE who loves the Stones would be pretty offended by your statement. In fact, I'd like to shove a Strat up your ass, except that would be a waste of a good guitar. I must give you credit where it is due though...you have set a new standard for fuckwitism. Oooof.

Look guys, Taylor didn't play, and it doesn't mean a damn thing. It doesn't matter. The sun came up the next day. People went to work and earned their paychecks. Babies were born. Knobs were gobbled. Taylor played at the 100 Club, the Stones played Wembley.

I think you all are making this a bigger deal than the parties actually involved made of it. Wanna bet if Mick Taylor actually gives a shit about any of this? I'd wager that Mick Taylor could care less.

Get a grip fellas. It ain't the end of the world as we know it...that was back when the Stones shared a stage with Justin "Buuuuuuurrrrrrrppppp! In your face Kelly Rowland!" Timberlake.
08-30-03 02:45 AM
beer i stand by my post.

c'mon SS, you constantly berate bono as a twat (which i agree with), have you met him?

Let me clarify my post. IN MY OPINION, Mick taylor IS a stone still and always will be. same with brian, same with stu.
I love the stones for what they've done musically in ther past and present, but i really have a dislike for mr. jagger. i have no respect for a man that cheats on his wife and knocks up countless women because money allows him such a care free lifestyle(no offense JB). In My OPINION, jagger cares for money and nothing else. He probably doesn't even care about rock and roll anymore.

i stress: these are just my opinions.obviously. in no way do i want to come off as holier than thou or any of that nonsense. i contradict myself constantly. I respect your opinion SS and always have.
08-30-03 05:05 AM
fmk438j

I'd lurve to hear MT's honest opinion on the stones' sound at the moment.

And then Keith's reply.

08-30-03 11:41 AM
T&A I'm going with Beer on this one. Once a Stone, always a Stone, IMO.

MT is one of the best things to ever happen to the band. Those early 70's albums could not have been without him. Without those albums, the Stones wouldn't be what they are today. Without MT on the 72/73 live jaunt, some of the most demanding and enduring live performances would never have occurred. So, you cannot deny the importance of MT.

It IS disappointing that MT didn't join them, even if for just 12 bars on Rock Me Baby - just so that we could have all seen that they've buried the hatchet (or whatever the fuck the deal is). It would have been an emotionally important moment, if not musically important.
08-30-03 01:33 PM
UGot2Rollme Beer's quote>

In My OPINION, jagger cares for money and nothing else. He probably doesn't even care about rock and roll anymore.

Like an a-hole, everyone has an opinion...
Mine is that it's Jagger and Watts that are carrying this band now. In the 80's it was Keith and Ronnie. That's the beauty of this beast known as the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band.

Believe me, Mick Jagger cares.....

Also...I agree that Mick Taylor was the greatest lead player the Stones ever employed and it would have been nice to hear his fluid lines again.... but let's stop living in the past more than we may be already.
08-30-03 02:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Wait a minute.

It is simply not possible to be a member of ANYTHING after you die. Stu and Brian are not Stones....they are dead. Bill and Lil' Mick walked away...they are not Stones, by their own choice. THEY no longer WANTED to be part of the Rolling Stones, justified or not.

It is a black and white issue....very clear cut. You are either one of the four members of the Rolling Stones or you are not. Period. You are either a Rolling Stone or an ex-Rolling Stone. I don't see how it is possible to look at it any way else simply because that is how it really IS.

Is Syd Barrett still a member of The Pink Floyd? Is Ringo still a member of the Beatles? The answer on both counts is no. Syd lives the quiet life of a gardener in Cambridge and hasn't picked up a guitar in more than a decade, and the Beatles no longer exist.

Mick Taylor is a part of Rolling Stones history. But that does not mean he is a Rolling Stone NOW.

I am very sorry that reality does not conform to the way you want it to be...but facts are facts, the reality is what it is.

Oh, and beer, I thought it was quite obvious that the whole "Bono is a twat" thing is just a running gag. Bono could be a lovely person for all I know...it's just a goof. Same with John Cougar-Menstralcramp...I goof on him, but I don't dislike the guy or anything. I can't dislike him because we've never met. I don't like a lot of things Jagger does...but it certainly doesn't mean that I dislike the guy. I don't know him, so how could I? He has never done anything nasty to ME personally, so I have no reason to develope a personal dislike.

If we all disliked people that display bouts of bad judgement, no one would have any friends.

You didn't answer my question either....do you really think Mick Taylor gives a shit about any of this? I don't think he does. If he doesn't care, why should we?
08-30-03 11:24 PM
fmk438j
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
do you really think Mick Taylor gives a shit about any of this? I don't think he does. If he doesn't care, why should we?

For the same reason we bother collecting shitty recordings just hear how great, sorry, 'really really good', the guy and band were. It's a sentimentality issue and it's one that lays deep with a lot of fans. Hell, what do you think keeps them selling out stadiums and arenas on world tours? Is it that last album that all these people have just GOT to see live? This doesn't make sentimentality a good thing, but without this the stones would be doing squat. If you think this is shallow well good, but I sure as hell would get goosebumps and more if I saw MT on the same stage with them. I bet everyone here would too.

I agree MT doesn't give half a shit what the stones are doing at any given time, or whether he is or isn't involved. But why should this influence how I feel about him on stage with them? If the stones officially retired tomorrow because they 'didn't care', do you think I'd throw all my stones stuff away or not pine to see them on stage again? Fuck no.
08-31-03 01:22 AM
Sir Stonesalot I understand the sentimentality issue...I guess I just don't put as much stock in it as you guys do. I'm a bit more on the pragmatic side of things. I see things for what they are, not what they maybe might be, or what they were.

I too would have enjoyed seeing Mick Taylor play at the Astoria...but since he didn't, I don't see a whole lot of point in going on and on about it. It didn't happen, and no amount of griping about it will change that.

And I certainly don't see the point in attacking Mick and Ronnie just because Lil' Mick didn't get his 12 bars. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
08-31-03 01:30 AM
beer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

You didn't answer my question either....do you really think Mick Taylor gives a shit about any of this? I don't think he does. If he doesn't care, why should we?

i dunno if he does or not. only he knows that. i just think it would be cool if he was given the opportunity to play with them at least once more before this whole thing ends. i am not a "taylorite" or a "ronnie hater" or any of that crap. i dig both of them. the only thing that frustrates me about ronnie is that i believe he still has the ability to rip it up on the guitar, but for some reason he just won't put effort into it, though reviews seem to say that his playing varies wildly between good and bad depending on the show. shit, same with keith too.

i would guess that taylor does care about this, but who knows? certainly not me.
08-31-03 10:46 AM
Gazza >I'll be anxious to hear if Stonesdoug is able to confirm that Taylor didn't make the sound check. If that's true, I'm guessing he had a good excuse, if he still made it backstage and partied with the band, which Gazza reported.

I can assure you that Taylor did NOT play at any soundcheck.

They played 3 songs at the soundcheck, I was just outside the theatre. One was hard to make out (but it certainly WASNT "Rock me baby" or anything bluesy), the other two were "Heartbreaker" and "IORR".

Taylor WAS at the concert though. Chris Diemoz told me he saw him at the Landmark Hotel (one of the hotels the Stones used as a base) picking up his ticket. I think thats where the word got around that he was STAYING there, which apparently was NOT the case.