ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aerosmith vs. Rolling Stones Return to archive
08-25-03 08:38 PM
FAPhoenix I've heard rumors that Aerosmith ripped off a couple Rolling Stones songs. If this is true, which songs are they as I would just like to compare myself.
08-25-03 09:03 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hrm. It's tough to say. Aerosmith really did cop off the Stones's whole style as well as several of their songs. They've said their ambition in the seventies was to be like Keith Richards.

I'll try and compare and contrast a few songs for you. Someone more familiar with Aerosmith on this board might be able to give you a hand.

-tSYX --- I've been hit too hard, seen too much...
08-25-03 09:05 PM
Mr. D I'm not sure of any specific songs they've ripped off, but Aerosmith has ripped off everything about the Stones from sound to style. But the thing that really gets me is that earlier this year i was reading an interview where a member of Aerosmith (im almost positive it was their drummer) said how Aerosmith was a much better band than the Stones and how there's no longer a comparison. BULL-FUCKING-SHIT. The two biggest hits they ever had were related to either Run-DMC or Robin Williams. I'll admit that they do have some good songs, but for them to even compare themselves to a band they've blatantly ripped off for years is a sin. They even have a lead singer with big lips!
08-25-03 10:02 PM
FAPhoenix I don't like Aerosmith myself and I have a friend who loves them and is always saying they are better then the Stones. We argue that, but if I can find some pretty good proof that Aerosmith ripped off the Stones I'll be able to enlighten him heh.
08-25-03 10:36 PM
FPM C10 The only thing I know they have in common is that they both covered "Walkin' The Dog", but the two versions sound nothing alike. And your friend will probably like Aerosmith's better because the Stones' is kinda goofy. Great, but goofy.

Aerosmith doesn't sound anything like the Stones to me. They obviously all wanted to LOOK like the Stones, and the whole glimmer/toxic twin dynamic within the band, with the jumpsuited singer and junky guitarist making life miserable for the rest of the boys, but other than THAT... Hell, even the lips aren't similar! Tyler's look like strips of liver left to shrivel on a fencepost.

There's just no comparison.
08-25-03 10:47 PM
JaggaRichards Keith's guitar on Walking The Dog is much better than anything on the Aerosmith version.
They're just a b-grade Stones wannabe group!
08-26-03 03:22 AM
Gimme Shelter The Stones will always reign surpreme, but I do like Areosmith. I've seen themm three times before, and I'll be seeing them with Kiss in October.
08-26-03 12:02 PM
sandrew A couple of specific rip-offs (I hate to call them that, because there's nothing inherently wrong with it): On Aerosmith's "Draw the Line," the "Ooh, baby" bits sound exactly like those in the Stones' "My Obsession."

Even more obscure: The "Yes, I'm movin'" in "Ragdoll" is note for note what Keith sang on the Stones' Hank Snow cover, "I'm Movin' On."

Go listen to 'em, side by side. You'll feel very much in-the-know for noticing these little esoterics.
08-26-03 12:27 PM
Poplar
Aerosmith = the poor man's Rolling Stones.

that band should just be proud to be mentioned in the same breath as teh Stones.
08-26-03 01:01 PM
Ctiger2 The Glimmer Twins -vs- The Toxic Twins

C'mon...Aerosmith wishes they were the Stones...

If Aerosmith had one ounce of originality...they wouldn't even exhist...

They are definitely the "Poor Man's Stones"

HA HA HA!
08-26-03 01:06 PM
Boomy The only thing that pisses me off is that Aerosmith is doing a blues album now.

I wish the STones would've considered doing a blues related album before Aerosmith did. Damn!!

Maybe the Stones could do a reggae album...*dreaming*
08-26-03 01:08 PM
Angiegirl I like Aerosmith's live shows; they are very good and energetic on stage, loud and clear guitars, wonderful Tyler on vocals, very nice to their fan base. But their albums/studio songs never got me excited as much as Stones songs do. The Stones are in their own top league, no comparison except for some external factors.
O, and I think Joe Perry and steven Tyler are very sexy .
08-26-03 01:25 PM
gypsy To me, there is no comparison...and to even compare them is fuitile.
Aerosmith is an okay band...they only have a handful of songs that I can listen to. But, the Stones...I can listen to hundreds of Stones songs all day long without getting bored.
08-26-03 01:36 PM
Nasty Habits The only time I ever saw Aerosmith they did a verse of "Dear Doctor" before doing some acoustic song from Permanent Vacation where Stephen and Joe sat on stools a la '69 Rolling Stones.

I had a good time at that show, but the thing I liked best about it was that it reminded me of the Rolling Stones.

Let's see, what they got - two guitars, bass, drum, front man who is kind of androgynous and has an overactive a)ego and b) sex drive. Guitar player with a craggy face who is well known for facility with a riff, and for his ego as well. The singer/guitar player axis temporarily broke up the band, or at least split them up, and their career is at least as well known for their substance abuse as their music.

How could anyone see any similarities between these two bands?!?!

As far as music goes, Aerosmith has, what, three pretty good records? Draw the Line, Rocks, and Toys in the Attic . . . plus whatever formulaic pleasures are on their decent run of commercial rock in the late 80s through the mid 90s. That's it. The Stones trash their catalog completely before they even get to Beggar's Banquet, and after that it's just a wash. And if anyone can play me an Aerosmith live performance that can top the Stones at their best in '81, let alone '72 or '73, I would be shocked and say, "Amazing!"

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
08-26-03 03:01 PM
jb Though I do not particularly like AS, one cannot deny that they have marketed themselves much better than the Stones and are viewed much more favorably by the younger fan base.
08-26-03 04:53 PM
KeepRigid Steven Tyler was once quoted that he hated being accused of trying to copy the Stones in the 70's:

"I hated it, because it was true. Mick was the baddest boy on the block, second only to Keith."
08-26-03 05:01 PM
gypsy I can't believe 'Steve' said that. I must dig out a Howard Carter-like find...hang on...oh, here it is:

*blank stare*
08-27-03 04:35 AM
Cant Catch Me Maybe if Jagger'd been a serious junkie like Keith (and Brian, 'xcept Brian was plain-old fucked up AND a junkie),the Stones would have ended up as a passable rock band, like Aerosmith.

Or, more like it, if all the Stones (i.e., Mick and Keith and Brian and Charlie and Bill, plus Mick T. later) had gotten seriously strung out on booze or narcotics, all at once, from the very beginning, they would have been an Aerosmith 1.0, only English, and then the "real" Aerosmith would have been Aerosmith 2.0, or the U.S. version.

So maybe it's fortunate for us the members of the Stones managed to spread out their addictions and other hang ups across several decades instead of all going down the tubes at once, ala' Aerosmith.
08-27-03 06:00 PM
hayo Aerosmith=Rock Rolling Stones=Roll
08-27-03 06:16 PM
Cardinal Fang For the person who asked "which song" to check out that they ripped off.

"Chip Away The Stone" comes to mind.

TOTAL Rolling Stones rip off IMO.

Later, Cardinal Fang
08-27-03 06:18 PM
Boomy Aerosmith has an album called "Rock and a Hard Place".

Some of you think Dirty Work is bad...that Aerosmith album is utter bullshit.

STONES 1
Aeromsith 0
08-27-03 09:21 PM
Fiji Joe What?..who said Dirty Work was a bad album?...That album was an Indian Girl away from a masterpiece
08-27-03 09:47 PM
gypsy Feej, your wit makes me *almost* think that you could be KeepRigid.
08-27-03 09:56 PM
Fiji Joe No Gypsy...we are not the same...although we do share the same proctologist
08-27-03 10:13 PM
gypsy So you do retain the services of KeepRigidsLawyer...
08-27-03 11:33 PM
Fiji Joe Well, since I am also an attorney, we just sort of talk shop...you know, shoot the shit...so to speak
09-01-03 11:33 PM
Trey Krimsin I don't care about who ripped off who. I only care about good music. I like Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones, but I seem to pick up a Stones CD more than an Aerosmith CD.