ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Fleet Center, Boston - September 3, 2002
Brian Rasic - Thanks Moy!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review of opening show on AP Return to archive
09-04-02 11:33 AM
Martha Life is good...oh yeah. I got to see a minute and a half or so of the show from my bedroom broadcast on World News Tonight after 3 a.m. It looked fantastic. Can't wait!

Here's the review off my homepage:

Entertainment
Full Story 09/04/2002��06:15:58�EST
Winslow Townson/AP Photo
Rolling Stones Kick Off World Tour
By BOB SALSBERG
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) - The Rolling Stones launched a 25-city tour Tuesday night with "Street Fightin' Man" as their first song as if making a statement that after 40 years they're still in fighting shape.

Newly knighted Mick Jagger, grizzled guitarist Keith Richards and the rest of the band have billed their "Licks" tour, as their most elaborate stage show ever, with eye-popping special effects.

"There's nothing so exciting as starting an American tour and there is nothing so exciting ... as starting here in Boston," the 59-year-old Jagger told the concertgoers packed into the FleetCenter.

It's the hottest ticket in rock; industry analysts expect it to be the year's top-grossing tour. Most tickets - some selling for up to $350 - were snapped up for the 40-show tour shortly after they went on sale. The band will not only play arenas and stadiums, but cozy concert halls as well.

Tour director Michael Cohl said that like the "Voodoo Lounge" and "Bridges to Babylon" tours of the 1990s, the stadium shows will be heavy on Stones staples such as "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Honky Tonk Woman," and "Brown Sugar."

By contrast, the arena shows - like the one in Boston - will include a large collection of less familiar songs culled from the band's 40-year history.

Tuesday night, the Stones followed their opening number with "If You Can't Rock Me" and "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll," during which Jagger, dressed in tight black pants, shed his blue jacket to reveal a white T-shirt underneath.

During the fourth song, Jagger played guitar on "Don't Stop," one of four new numbers from the Stones' forthcoming album "Forty Licks." The collection of their greatest hits will be released in October.

Two hours before the Stones took the stage, crowds of mostly middle-aged fans - some wearing shirts with the Stones' famous lips and tongue emblem - waited for the doors to open.

Steve Mulcahey, 50, a police dispatcher from Warwick, R.I., said the Stones were worth the wait.

Why? "The music and the fact that they can still perform it live onstage," he said, and "the electricity in the air."

This was his 17th Stones concert and Mulcahey planned to attend three others on the current tour.

"I've got the tattoo on my butt. I'm all set," Mulcahey said of the Stones emblem.

While the number 40 might be a theme of the band's tour, the Stones would clearly like to stay clear of discussing another number: 60. That's the age Jagger and Richards will be by the end of next year. The third original member of the band, drummer Charlie Watts, is already 61.

___

On the Net:

http://www.rollingstones.com
09-04-02 11:49 AM
T&A WTF is wrong with turning 60? Why is everyone so obsessed with aging? As they say, it sure beats the alternative.

Age is a state of mind.

09-04-02 12:01 PM
Martha
quote:
T&A wrote:
WTF is wrong with turning 60? Why is everyone so obsessed with aging? As they say, it sure beats the alternative.

Age is a state of mind.

I agree totally...obssessing on aging seems to be woven into corporate culture in the U.S...selling youth to us all is a big agenda. I don't buy into it.

I'm so glad to be aging ...it sure DOES beat the alternative! LOL!