ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Fleet Center, Boston - September 3, 2002
Brian Rasic - Thanks Moy!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (Boston 9/3) A Rock God Is Born. Return to archive
09-04-02 01:08 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I'm too damn tired and Emotionally Rescued to write a full review now - I'll do it in the morning. You know what I mean.

I have this to say, however.

Tonight, a miracle happened onstage.

Watching the show (which was slow to pick up) I noticed something strange.

"Keith isn't playing that guitar a whole bunch."

He was prancing about madly, smiling at Darryl and Charlie and Ronnie, just having a good time. He made some efforts on "Stray Cat Blues" and "IORR", but when his section came, he strummed a few notes and took it off, holding his guitar there like a trophy.

This led me to wonder where that marvellous sound was coming from.

I looked down at Ronnie's fingers.

Ladies and gentlemen, the name Mick Taylor has no meaning in our lives anymore. Perth '72 is a distant memory, a pretender to the FleetCenter '02 "Rocks Off". I stood up during that song and didn't stop screaming until it ended. It was that *fucking* good.

The turning point in the concert was "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". Bobby Keyes owned his bit, Mick added a nice harmonica, and then it was Ronnie's turn. He got out there, started playing, and I noticed something interesting.

There was a buzz from the audience.

It wasn't quite tangible, but it got louder and louder and louder and louder and before I knew it everyone was on their feet, looking at Ronnie. And he just kept wailing away, that choppy style blending, harmonizing and perfecting Taylor's smooth jazz/blues sound on the studio recording. Before this song started, the guy sitting next to me, when Mick said "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", looked at me and said "Without Mick Taylor?" I said "Wait." And when Ronnie finished everyone stood up and started cheering and Ronnie did a little Irish jig as Mick held his hand up. I looked down at the guy.

"With a sober Ronnie Wood, who the *fuck* needs Mick Taylor?"

Ronnie Wood has transcended Keith Richards (who only got amazing at the last five songs, and didn't really wake up until "Can't You Hear Me Knocking") in my book in terms of a lead guitarist. He has transceded Mick Taylor, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend... everybody.

Tonight, Ronnie Wood became my favorite Stone... and a rock'n'roll god.

Do me a favor...

Even if you don't think he's your favorite Stone or anything like that...

Do everything in your power to recognize his talent. The cameramen tonight missed it completly, kept cutting to Keith fiddling about while Ronnie played his heart out - everyone noticed. Give him credit. Make sure he gets noticed. Because then he'll know what a kickass job he's doing and won't feel like he has to go back to drinking.

As I left the FleetCenter, I heard his name on everyone's lips. Everyone was talking about how damn good he was. And I saw the camera recording the documentary, under a poster for Britney Spears.

"Britney Spears ain't got *shit* on Ronnie Wood!" I roared, as my father dragged me away.

Ronnie Wood is, I dunno, divinely touched or something. That's how good he played tonight.

-tSYX.

P.S.: Oh, and I was on the 6 and 11'o'clock news, WBZ-4. Look for the kid singing "Satisfaction" with the buzz cut - 's me! WZLX gave me a T-shirt afterwards for my leading the group through it! More on my silly escapades tomorrow if I ever wake up enough to write them all down.
09-04-02 01:18 AM
~AzQb

Ronnie Wood is, I dunno, divinely touched or something. That's how good he played tonight.

-tSYX.

God Bless his skinny little ass !

; )
09-04-02 01:59 AM
padre Sounds like a jackpot for me and other photographers! Chance to get loads of cool photos of Keef doing his moves PLUS hearing superb playing from the band, especially Ronnie!!! Go, Ronnie, Go! Seems like this tour's for you.
09-04-02 02:10 AM
peterdv he is just the best :-)
no other words for that
Wood is God nr 2
09-04-02 02:33 AM
Drift Away You don't know how pleased i am to hear this.
Let''s hope he can keep it up until the europe tour

Rock me ronnie
09-04-02 02:49 AM
MarthaMyDear With a sober Ronnie Wood, who the *fuck* needs Mick Taylor?"

Ronnie Wood has transcended Keith Richards (who only got amazing at the last five songs, and didn't really wake up until "Can't You Hear Me Knocking") in my book in terms of a lead guitarist. He has transceded Mick Taylor, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend... everybody.

Tonight, Ronnie Wood became my favorite Stone... and a rock'n'roll god.

-------------------------------------------------------------

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STAY SOBER, RONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE HAND OF GOD TOUCHED HIM!!! OH,
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE YOUR REVIEW AND I'M SO HAPPY TO BE ON
"RONNIE'S SIDE" FOR TWO NIGHTS, AT LEAST!!! I'VE BEEN FEELING
LIKE FALLING OFF THE WAGON LATELY, BUT FORGET IT!!! I DON'T
WANT TO!!! RONNIE ROCKS!!!
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
09-04-02 04:37 AM
Mathijs This is just fucking great to hear!! An unbelievable good set list, Ronnie back on the game, Mick looking like he's 26 -this is promising to be a good tour!

Mathijs

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review

URL: http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/
E-Mail: [email protected]

Bootlegs for Sale
The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------
09-04-02 06:25 AM
FotiniD tSYX, that was one great post dear.

(Wasn't to happy about the Keith comments though )

And that should go out to all those great people who kept bashing Ronnie Wood during the previous months and discussing how Taylor should be brought back -from the dead?

No hard feelings, just feel terribly happy about Ronnie being in top shape. I knew the guy could do it!

09-04-02 06:32 AM
Jumacfly Yes, agree with you, Ronnie bashers must be hold by the balls!!!!
especially those dutch guys (not all of those,hoppefully) that said that Ronnie was so hill that Taylor should come back!!!! this news wa

they were F*cking wrong, Ronnie STILL KICKS ASS!!!!!

Cheers

09-04-02 06:34 AM
Jumacfly Yes, agree with you, Ronnie bashers must be hold by the balls!!!!
especially those dutch guys (not all of those,hoppefully) that said that Ronnie was so hill that Taylor should come back!!!! this news was post during the rehearsals, while Ronnie was in Toronto!!

they were F*cking wrong, Ronnie STILL KICKS ASS!!!!!

Cheers

09-04-02 08:01 AM
Maxlugar "Keith isn't playing that guitar a whole bunch."
He was prancing about madly, smiling at Darryl and Charlie and Ronnie, just having a
good time. He made some efforts on "Stray Cat Blues" and "IORR", but when his secti
came, he strummed a few notes and took it off, holding his guitar there like a trophy."

Yikes!

While it's nice to hear Ronnie played good, that above statement is a downer.

Hope Ronnie stays sober until NY.

Maxy!
09-04-02 08:04 AM
Mathijs In a news paper article it read that "time was closing in on keith" and he was a "crippled spider". Mmm, that doesn't sound too good.

Is this just press-bullshit, or is there some truth in it?

Mathijs
09-04-02 09:39 AM
FotiniD Oh please don't get me started with that "crippled spider" thing! I've already unleashed my... not so positive feelings about this description on Shidoobee Whoever wrote that for Christ's sake?

I don't think there are reasons to worry though. I've read reviews that say Keith's playing was great, and I've read some that say he was a bit too much into walking around and all. I seem to have more faith in the positive reviews - I mean, the guy's been waiting for three years too to get out there and play, he couldn't have been bad if he wanted too!

Also, sorry, but Keith can do no wrong in my book LOL Sorry. I mean, he's earned his right to do just about whatever he pleases and I'll still worship the man just for being him Pathetic, I know. Can't do anything else.

Either way, can't wait to catch them live!!! WHEN WILL THEY ANNOUNCE THE EUROPEAN TOUR? I want to know for sure
09-04-02 10:02 AM
Scot Rocks YES RONNIE, ROCK ON!!!!!!!!THIS IS GREAT FUCKIN NEWS

Just 11 months to wait...how can I Survive all these great posts for the next year!!!!!!!

Mark
09-04-02 10:30 AM
T&A Savage:

I just got tears in my eyes reading your post. I can't wait to hear him at the Orpheum.

09-04-02 10:36 AM
corgi37 Keith might of felt a touch "off", or even, heaven forbid, nervous. 1st gig, 40 years, getting older, blah blah. Also, he is the bands driver, so i guess being the 1st gig, he's got a lot on his mind. I bet he'll relax and get his "rocks off" once he settles in. Shit, it the 1st show! Remember Philly in 81? But, fuck all this "tour Europe" stuff. Tour Australia 1st, we have better beer, women and Corgi's garage is still available.
09-04-02 11:05 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I'm willing to bet that that might have been the case, corgi. For one thing, when Keith *did* start really playing towards the end of the show, he was just as good as Ronnie, and the weave hit an all-time high.

"Happy" was one of the worst renditions I've heard, though. "Slipping Away" was nice, but not very well-known.

-tSYX --- never took candy from strangers...
09-04-02 11:36 AM
~AzQb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Keith might of felt a touch "off", or even, heaven forbid, nervous. 1st gig, 40 years, getting older, blah blah. Also, he is the bands driver, so i guess being the 1st gig, he's got a lot on his mind. I bet he'll relax and get his "rocks off" once he settles in. Shit, it the 1st show! Remember Philly in 81?

THANK YOU ; )

~A
09-04-02 11:57 AM
Martha Thanks for the great review Savage and Young!

I am so glad Ronnie is kicking ass, and that all the rumors that went around about him being so ill were evidently unfounded,.............

(or perhaps he was pretty sick and is now healthy since he took the treatment....(thank god he took the treatment).

I hope he enjoys playing his guitar more than ever now that he's doing it sober...and the high he gets from that helps to keep him from slippin'. I cannot wait to see this tour!

What a wonderful review!!!!

09-04-02 12:05 PM
sirmoonie Great review Savy! Joey and the Taylorites can all go back to wanka wanka muck muck land. Mick Taylor whooooooo?

I was guessing that would be the case with Keith. Unlike Ronnie, he hasn't sobered up and probably never will. Probably be too late anyway, the man is fried. Sounds like he had the stupid fucking shit-eating grin on too. Man, I hate that. Its like he's taking that advice Damone gave to Rat in Fast Times, act like wherever you are is the place to be. Sad and unbeffiting a man of his stature.

Many great shows to come no matter what. You know Mick will be a maniac and WAY to go Ronald Simon Wood!
09-04-02 02:44 PM
gotdablouse I find it hard to believe that Ronnie has come back from the dead like this ?! Everyone who saw him on the 89, 94, 97 and 99 tours noticed he was getting worse and worse and had become little less than a useless clown.
Did you see him on any of these tours ?
You're making it sound like he's back to his 1976 form which again is absolutely mind-boggling.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting your impressions of the show but would stil like to see them confirmed by someone else.

PS - I did hear SFM on the radio this morning and it sucked big time, especially the singing. Didn't you get that impression at the show ?
09-04-02 02:48 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I heard what I heard, blouse. Anyone wanna corroberate my story, here?

And if you thought "Street Fighting Man" sounded bad... you gotta remember, you aren't hearing it live, as it happened. It was well done... probably not as good as the early 70s shows, but very well done.

And yes, This is Love You Live Ronnie we're hearing.

Possibly even better than Love You Live Ronnie.

-tSYX --- Ro-o-oll me!
09-04-02 04:30 PM
nankerphelge I dunno if it is Love You Live Ronnie -- but he was playing very well. I was right in front of him and you could see he was stone cold sober -- he didn't have that distant befuddled look of B2B and NS -- he was fully aware of everything, was all over the stage, and contributing in a big way. And he was enjoying the fact that people were into his playing. Mick was horsing around with him alot during the show! They were really having fun playing -- you could feel the love.

Get on the Love Train...

09-04-02 08:00 PM
Prodigal Son Once Ronnie has had a taste of how great he can play when sober and I hope he'll never go back to drinking. The Stones can finally again have a lead guitarist with some soloing zip that is top-notch. It ain't Keith's bag, baby, but I hope this challenges him to play like the rhythmic machine he used to be. YEAH RONNIE!!!
09-04-02 08:21 PM
Lacride Thanks for Ron tSYX! I know Ron knows and feels how to play guitar (just listen to Faces, Rod, his solo-works and with the Boys). He's a talentuous musician, that's all.
Chris
09-04-02 10:25 PM
gotdablouse well that's great, can't wait to hear the tapes or see him live. It was so sad to see him play in 95, 97 and 99. Amazingly he still had his fans at the time.
This has got to be one of the greatest comebacks in the history of R'n'R! Ronnie had fallen into a place from where you rarely get out of.
Looks like Mick's threats paid off then!
Heck, maybe he'll have some decent material to contribute to the putative next album...Dance part IV would work for me!