ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Fleet Center, Boston - September 3, 2002
Brian Rasic - Thanks Moy!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: please allow me to introduce myself Return to archive
09-03-02 06:58 PM
wkoetke Hi all:

Should've done this sooner. I wanted to officially introduce myself to you all on this great list. My name is Walt Koetke. I live in California, USA. I "lurked" on this list for years, and just started posting a few months ago. But now I just want to say HI and share a few tidbits:

I'm 33. The Stones have been my favorite band, and my primary popular culture obsession, since I was 12.

I've seen the band live 8 times so far, once in '89, four times in '94, once in '97, twice in '99. I was too young for the '81 tour, according to my parents (and they were probably right) - damn, what a missed opportunity.

I'm very jealous of the overall better qualify of the popular musical scene in England when compared to USA. I buy MOJO whenever I can over here in California, and I can't believe how much more interesting it is than the musical pubs here in USA. Music, as opposed to pop fluff crap (which still has it's place, I suppose), still seems to matter in England. All the poking fun of American music is mostly deserved, at least in the last few years. Can't wait to visit England one day.

I've been bitching on this list a few times about Don't Stop, about the "hot rocks" stadium set list, about various things, but I'm generally a positive person. With a band as great as the Rolling Stones, posting rants and raves about how great they are strikes me as "stating the obvious". Anyway, that's my way of saying I plan on posting positive comments as well especially once the tour starts.

I cut school for an entire day in 1986 with a high school buddy when we were 16 or so, just to purchase Dirty Work and listen to it all day with a case of beer nearby. We thought it was great at the time! I'm meeting that same buddy for both the Giants Stadium and MSG shows this month. We're both deliriously excited about bringing the whole thing full circle.

I've had the entire catalog of the Stones forever, and my fav albums are predictably the 68-72 run (beggars thru Exile), but also Voodoo & Tattoo You, and IORR and GHS and BAB get honorable mentions. And I've gained new respect in the last year or two for lots of their non-hit pre-1967 material (meaning, of course I've always appreciated their HITS from that era). Not sure if I'd rank Out Of Our Heads as one of their greatest, for example, but now I listen to it regularly.

That's it for now. Greetings to you all, and I look forward to sharing concert stories...

-Walt
09-03-02 07:06 PM
tumblingdice Enjoy the shows, it's great to have that old Stones buddy to go to the shows with and having those dirty work memories and all.
09-03-02 07:49 PM
Scot Rocks Greetings to you Walt, a nice intro there, some great Stones memories you shared with us. Have a blast at the shows you will see.

Cheers

Mark
09-03-02 08:15 PM
Saint Sway seeing as how I'm the freak that cut school with ya to spend the day listening to "Dirty Work", I thought I'd respond

please allow me to tell the community a little about my dear friend Walt ��a flea bit monkey if there ever was one!!

Walts a truly devoted ��no strike that � a truly insane fan who constantly boasts the genius of the "Emotional Rescue" album to anyone who will listen... toll booth attendants, chiropracters, telemarketers, fast food clerks, shoe salesmen, strippers, air traffic controllers, clergymen...

allow me to share some ALL TOO TRUE stories...

by the age of 17, Walt had spent so much time ingesting pharmaceuticals and watching "Performance" and "Lets Spend The Night Together" so many thousands of times that he was admitted into a psychiatric ward and declared unfit for society.

During the winter of '88 he began camping out for tickets to the '89 tour

he dated a midget for an entire summer simply because she liked to get it on to "Goats Head Soup"

he once jumped onto the back of a moving Stones van in a desperate attempt to sneak into the arena

he's watched every Stones pay-per-view special while wearing a pair of adult Depends diapers so that he wont miss a song when its time for him to take a piss

I got no sleep the nite before my wedding because he blasted Vooodoo Brew until 7 in the morning. I was a wreck the next day. At the wedding, he hog-tied the DJ and tossed him in some back alley and proceded to play his favorite songs from "Undercover" and side 2 of "Tattoo You" for the remainder of the nite. I was divorced the next day.

He once contemplated selling his wife in Vegas for money to buy a Stones ticket.

he beat the piss out of his youngest brother with an ovesized pumpkin because his brother said that Stevie Ray Vaughan was a better guitarist than Ronnie Wood

I flew out to Cali to catch the opener of the "No Security" tour with him � but it was cancelled because Mick had the sniffles. This threw him into a fit of insanity. That nite, after drowning the bar of all its vodka at Ronnie Woods gallery opening, he went to the arena and burned all his Jagger solo albums (he had 9 factory sealed copies of Shes The Boss). He put out the fire by pissing on the flames.

His backyard is decorated with garden gnomes with pictures of Bobby Keyes and Billy Preston pasted on their heads.

and most recently, he has purchased tickets to the NY shows and has come up with a shopping list of tailgate "necessities" that is so insane that proper decorum prohibits me from listing any of the items on the list on this board.

Except of course, the wheel barrels...

let me tell you all that Walt is exactly the type of fan that this board needs. Please join me in welcoming him. Rocks Off will never be the same.

09-03-02 08:41 PM
wkoetke Why thank you, Saint Sway, for the glowing recommendation to the fine people of the list!

Here are some statistics related to Saint's posting:

- 11 stories were posted

- 6 of them are actually true, which I'm embarassed to admit (I won't say which six)

- the others are partially true, although somewhat exaggerated or embellished

- 1 of the items is actually something HE (Saint Sway) DID! Either he doesn't remember who is who or he's making an inside joke...

Don't worry, Saint Sway, I can blackmail you just as easily!!

09-03-02 09:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hmmmmm. MSG & Giant's? Sounds like you guys would fit right in with the rest of us nut jobs....You guys feel like hooking up with us, or is this a private "buddy" thing.....not that there's anything wrong with that! LOL!

We got a party a-brewin' from a who's who list of dudes and dudettes from this board. We plan on taking over Gazza's room, trashing it, and tossing the TV out the window....oh yeah, and we're gonna watch Alex get bitchslapped all over Manhattan.

We'll let you know the details when we have 'em.

Welcome Walt.
09-03-02 09:10 PM
~AzQb

...well Walt,

Welcome.
Considering what yer friend SaintSway has to say about you, you sound like one to creme on in the time of need ; )

ManyCheers

~A
09-03-02 09:10 PM
Soul Survivor Sir.......go to the post called "Hello" or "Bootleg"
09-04-02 12:33 PM
Saint Sway Sir Stonesalot,

we'd happy to hook up with your gang of freaks... keep us posted as the shows near

and it'll be easy to find us at the Jints stadium... just look for the loons tailgating surrounded by garden gnomes and coconuts
09-04-02 08:56 PM
wkoetke Indeed, the MSG show will probably be the musical highlight, but the Giants Stadium show will the tailgate party highlight!! And I look foroward to meeting as many Rocks Off members as possible.
09-04-02 10:22 PM
Riffhard Well Walt and Sway,God bless ya!Welcome aboard and a freakshow it is.Jump right in the waters warm.One question;have either of ya ever puked outa the back door of a long black limousine at a Stones show?Just wondering,that's all.See ya at the Garden party and then Giant's!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
09-04-02 11:41 PM
wkoetke
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Well Walt and Sway,God bless ya!Welcome aboard and a freakshow it is.Jump right in the waters warm.One question;have either of ya ever puked outa the back door of a long black limousine at a Stones show?Just wondering,that's all.See ya at the Garden party and then Giant's!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]

Thanks for the welcome, Riffhard. I welcome the Freakdom. Can't say I've experienced precisely the Tattooo View you experienced in that elongated dark vehicle, but darn, I was there with you in spirit!!

See you all at the shows, I hope!!

Walt
09-05-02 04:37 AM
zyggy_baker Hi there. Glad to make your aquauitence. I am looking forward to seeing the Stones when they come to Zurich. I'm still a bit nervous about getting tickets though. What I'm nervous about is getting there on time before they are sold out. But I doubt that that will happen. I've also been a fan of the Stones since I was a kid. Bill Wyman has been quite a strong influence on my bass playing. Sad he isn't there anymore but five's probably a crowd anyway. The first album that I heard from them was Steel Wheels. I was five at the time and my dad always used to play it in the car. Little did I know that the Stones were touring right under our very noses. I see that you and your friend both brought the Dirty Work album with a case of beer nearby. Well you must have had to have drunk that beer right down as I suspect you must have been devastated when they didn't tour behind it.

quote:
wkoetke wrote:
Hi all:

Should've done this sooner. I wanted to officially introduce myself to you all on this great list. My name is Walt Koetke. I live in California, USA. I "lurked" on this list for years, and just started posting a few months ago. But now I just want to say HI and share a few tidbits:

I'm 33. The Stones have been my favorite band, and my primary popular culture obsession, since I was 12.

I've seen the band live 8 times so far, once in '89, four times in '94, once in '97, twice in '99. I was too young for the '81 tour, according to my parents (and they were probably right) - damn, what a missed opportunity.

I'm very jealous of the overall better qualify of the popular musical scene in England when compared to USA. I buy MOJO whenever I can over here in California, and I can't believe how much more interesting it is than the musical pubs here in USA. Music, as opposed to pop fluff crap (which still has it's place, I suppose), still seems to matter in England. All the poking fun of American music is mostly deserved, at least in the last few years. Can't wait to visit England one day.

I've been bitching on this list a few times about Don't Stop, about the "hot rocks" stadium set list, about various things, but I'm generally a positive person. With a band as great as the Rolling Stones, posting rants and raves about how great they are strikes me as "stating the obvious". Anyway, that's my way of saying I plan on posting positive comments as well especially once the tour starts.

I cut school for an entire day in 1986 with a high school buddy when we were 16 or so, just to purchase Dirty Work and listen to it all day with a case of beer nearby. We thought it was great at the time! I'm meeting that same buddy for both the Giants Stadium and MSG shows this month. We're both deliriously excited about bringing the whole thing full circle.

I've had the entire catalog of the Stones forever, and my fav albums are predictably the 68-72 run (beggars thru Exile), but also Voodoo & Tattoo You, and IORR and GHS and BAB get honorable mentions. And I've gained new respect in the last year or two for lots of their non-hit pre-1967 material (meaning, of course I've always appreciated their HITS from that era). Not sure if I'd rank Out Of Our Heads as one of their greatest, for example, but now I listen to it regularly.

That's it for now. Greetings to you all, and I look forward to sharing concert stories...

-Walt