ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 2007 Ronnie Wood - Thanks speedfreakjive
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Levon Helm: First Solo Studio Album In 25 Years Return to archive
31st August 2007 04:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Levon Helm: First Solo Studio Album In 25 Years
Jazz News
August 31,2007

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Levon Helm's 'Dirt Farmer' will be released October 30 by Vanguard Records/Dirt Farmer, his first solo, studio album in 25 years. The organic feel of the sessions hark back to his work with The Band and comes on the heels of a wave of attention for his Midnight Rambles, late night concerts held at Levon Helm Studios in Woodstock, NY.

It's a major landmark on a remarkable journey for Levon Helm. "The last few years have proven to me that we truly live in an age of miracles", writes Levon in the poignant liner notes. After arduous treatments for throat cancer that took away his singing voice and a fire that consumed over eighty percent of his recording studio, Helm was amazed to find both restored.

On 'Dirt Farmer, ' Helm's pays tribute to his family, singing traditional songs that he learned growing up in rural Arkansas. He also covers songs by Steve Earle and J.B. Lenoir; full of Dobros, mandolins and acoustic guitars, the album resonates deeply, honoring Levon's roots.

Multi-instrumentalist Larry Campbell (Bob Dylan, Lyle Lovett, Solomon Burke) and Levon's daughter Amy, also a member of Ollabelle, produced and shepherded the project at "The Barn", Levon Helm Studios. Levon himself plays drums, mandolin, acoustic guitar and provides all lead vocals.

Rolling Stone's Andy Greene called a recent Midnight Ramble, "one of the most uplifting and pure musical experiences I've ever had." Levon based his Rambles on the southern medicine shows of his youth and has been joined onstage by Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Nick Lowe, Warren Haynes and others.

Musician, singer, author, voiceover artist and actor Levon Helm is an American treasure. Born in 1940 in Elaine, Arkansas, a young Levon absorbed the blues, folk and country sounds that surrounded him. Gigs with Ronnie Hawkins lead to Levon's entrance into The Band, one of rock's greatest groups. The Band went on to back Bob Dylan on his first electric tour and made a series of incredible records until 1976. He has appeared in such films as "Coal Miner's Daughter", "The Right Stuff", "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" and "Shooter."
31st August 2007 04:43 PM
gimmekeef This is great news...Love this guy....his duet with Keith..Deuce and a Quarter is one of my faves...Thanks for teh heads up!
31st August 2007 05:27 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Saw Levon back in March - great stuff.

He's offering early release (9/15) copies of Dirt Farmer at www.levonhelm.com

$300 gets you an autographed CD, t-shirt and two tickets to a Midnight Ramble.
31st August 2007 05:28 PM
fireontheplatter i drank a pint with a guy last new years day who attended a new years eve party thrown by the man himself. twas a goooood time he said. lots of...you know what.

i think i'll go dunk a doughnut in my tea.

good news.....maybe this will inspire me to watch a movie i have nerver seen, the last waltz.
31st August 2007 09:33 PM
glencar One of the best (The Last Waltz). I'd forgotten Levon was still alive. Didn't a couple of Band guys die early?
1st September 2007 12:27 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
One of the best (The Last Waltz). I'd forgotten Levon was still alive. Didn't a couple of Band guys die early?

Yes...Manuel took his own life and Danko is gone too I think....Great band..I saw them at Watkins with 600,000 and in a bar with 140....Always superb!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)