ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 2007 Ronnie Wood - Thanks speedfreakjive
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chuck Leavell Return to archive
30th August 2007 09:06 PM
The jinn, my friend. If the forum would indulge,

Could a yea or nay of Chuck. be established.

If you would care to expound on how he has enhanced the institution of the Rolling Stone or how he has detracted from the Rolling Stones. Please expound.

Also, has his "business interests" been suitable?

30th August 2007 09:18 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
The jinn, my friend. wrote:
If the forum would indulge,

Could a yea or nay of Chuck. be established.

If you would care to expound on how he has enhanced the institution of the Rolling Stone or how he has detracted from the Rolling Stones. Please expound.

Also, has his "business interests" been suitable?

A big nay for me. He solos too much on Rambler and HTW.
30th August 2007 09:20 PM
mrhipfl a yay for me. He plays well and tries to mix up the sets. He seems like a nice man, too.
30th August 2007 09:24 PM
robpop I'm neutral. Chuck is ok, but Stu was the man. STU WAS A STONE.
[Edited by robpop]
30th August 2007 10:00 PM
Jaggedblues I gotta say I strongly prefer Ian Stewart and Nicky Hopkins style of playing to Chuck's but I do appreciate Chuck's efforts in getting previously unplayed gems like Sway into the setlist. I can't say I think he's really enhanced the Stones though. I'd prefer someone a little more rock 'n' roll.
30th August 2007 10:10 PM
Lethargy I'm not terribly impressed by what I hear from his keys, but let's face it...the Stones obviously want/need him, or he wouldn't be there. Mick, in particular, is known as a tightwad and if he didn't think Chuck were essential, he'd be OUTTA THERE like sh-t through a goose. I have a feeling he contributes more behind the scenes than just keys. Sometimes it actually appears that he's giving the boys their cues during the songs.
30th August 2007 10:40 PM
monkeyman2 He's okay. Stu was a stone. But my fav was Billy Preston 75 tour.
31st August 2007 06:21 AM
LadyJane My heart votes to get him, and his butchering of some of the classics, the fuck out of the picture.

My head votes to give him A LOT of credit for keeping things going on stage. He is a nice guy, he tries to keep the setlists fresh and he is INVALUABLE to the current state of the Stones.

Who is going to be the musical director these days?

Keith???

LJ.
31st August 2007 06:43 AM
Nellcote He's been responsible for more obscure songs being performed during his time with the band than anyone will want to think he has. Contrarily, he's added instrumentation to songs which do not need it.
Mac & Stu were players in the band at a time when they did not need queues, or countoffs, or monitors. Chuck is a traffic cop, directing the proceedings from a tried & true formula.

My summary is he deserves credit for what's he's contributed, and needs to be told to tone it down more often than not. He knows his place, and would not be there if he was in the way.

It's like dealing with relatives who come to the family reunion, all bringing food. You look forward to what you know is going to be brought, scarf it down like crazy when they come, then, you can't wait for them to leave.

[Edited by Nellcote]
31st August 2007 10:29 AM
Saint Sway he'll never be truly accepted by the fans until he can bust out the "cock dance"
31st August 2007 10:41 AM
gimmekeef He gets a tough rap because we all love and respect what Stu brought to the party.I thought this last tour he was in the proper mix.Not overbearing or too loud.Maybe the change to higher guitar mix this tour led to more instances where we heard Keith fuck up....just a thought..Chuck has had an impact on setlist variance too which he needs credit for....Lets face it..at this stage...they are what they are..no more changes even if they do give us a 2008....
31st August 2007 10:49 AM
Saint Sway the Stones have had the amazing fortune of being blessed with the most talented keyboardists over the years. All top notch.

say what you will about Chuck, he is still considered a great in the biz

I think the best of the bunch was Nicky Hopkins. Incredible.

but the rest were all A-list keyboardists

Stu
Nicky
Billy Preston
Ian McLagan
Chuck Leavell

^ that right there is a large chucnk of the essential 'who's who' of rock piano players

of course, that dildo Matt Clifford just fucks the whole list up. Dudes the biggest shit stain on the Stones legacy. Believe me when I tell you I've developed a heavy drinking problem just trying to wash him from my memory.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)