ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Forum Outdoor, Horsens 3rd September
© Jyllands Posten with special thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lesh & Friends: "Live At The Warfield" DVD Return to archive
29th August 2006 04:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Lesh & Friends: "Live At The Warfield" DVD
Monday, 28 August 2006
www.sohood.com

As bassist for one of rock’s hardest-touring and historic bands, PHIL LESH has performed over 2500 concerts, both with the GRATEFUL DEAD and leader of his own band Phil Lesh & Friends. Now, Lesh’s fans will have the chance to experience his mesmerizing live performances with Phil Lesh & Friends: Live At The Warfield, a two-CD set (with bonus DVD) and two-DVD set being released October 31st by Image Entertainment on the Relix Records label. Over two nights at the venerable San Francisco venue in May 2006, Lesh and his Friends combined a strong jazz background with a touch of blues, a pinch of soul, a good helping of groove and just the right amount of jamming to keep the faithful dancing well into the early morning.

Joined by JOAN OSBORNE (lead vocals), JOHN SCOFIELD (guitar), LARRY CAMPBELL (guitar, pedal steel, fiddle, mandolin, vocals), GREG OSBY (saxophones), ROB BARRACO (keyboards, vocals) and JOHN MOLO (drums), Lesh led the group through an eclectic set of original compositions, DEAD favorites, select covers and intricate jam sessions. "The band was on fire both nights, and what we’re releasing is the absolute cream, right off the top,” says Lesh. “There is no duplication of material or performance between the DVD and the CD, so the audience should be able to enjoy almost all of the music we made on those nights. Rock on!"

Bonus material on the second DVD includes “The Art of Improvisation: Jazz and Rock,” where Lesh interviews bandmates Scofield and Osby, plus backstage rehearsal and an improv jam session. Look for these features on the bonus DVD that comes with the 2-CD set along with two extra tracks--“Passenger” (not on the DVD) and “All Along The Watchtower.”

After dropping out of college, Lesh was studying avant-garde classical and jazz music when he was asked by pal Jerry Garcia to pick up the bass and join his group The Warlocks, which morphed into the Grateful Dead in 1965. The Grateful Dead performed over 2300 shows over the next 40 years, until Garcia passed away in 1995. After the Grateful Dead, Lesh continued to perform in The Other Ones and the Dead (both consisting of Grateful Dead survivors) as well as the evolving Phil Lesh & Friends ensemble.

Since receiving a liver transplant in 1998, Lesh has been a staunch advocate for organ donation, and with his wife Jill runs the Unbroken Chain Foundation. Lesh is the author of Searching For The Sound: My Life With The Grateful Dead.

DVD
Uncle John's Band
Eyes of The World
St. Stephen
The Eleven
Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)
All Along the Watchtower
New Speedway Boogie
Unbroken Chain
Help On the Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower

CD Track Listing CD#1
Shakedown Street
Mr. Charlie
Pride of Cucamonga
Cosmic Charley
Scarlet Begonias
They Love Each Other
Turn On Your Lovelight
Donor Rap

CD#2
The Wheel
Dark Star
Morning Dew
I Know You Rider
The Other One
Dark Star
The Other One
Box of Rain

-Ervin Colon

29th August 2006 08:28 AM
UGot2Rollme Not sure about how this particular line-up will sound. .. think I would prefer Herring and Haynes to Scofield and the other guy.

I also read that somebody flipped out on acid and dove off the balcony in between sets, fortunately no one seriously injured, but delayed the show. Wonder if they'll add that to the DVD
:-) ?
29th August 2006 08:43 AM
lotsajizz gimme Ratdog anyday

29th August 2006 08:53 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
gimme Ratdog anyday

Never got the chance to see Phil and Friends, but have seen Ratdog 3 times. I love Bobby's voice!! Last time I saw them they did a cover of Dear Prudence--unreal. Hope I get the chance to see Phil sometime.
29th August 2006 03:48 PM
mojoman as big of a fan of the dead that i am i dont think i could bring myself to see another solo show by either one of these guys. imo the dead were always a band that were the sum of their parts, to me both these members solo efforts are just glorified cover bands. they should just bury the hatchet like they always preached and jam together into eternity............
29th August 2006 03:55 PM
Jaxx there's been alot of anticipation of this DVD in the "Dead" community. phil and friends sure know how to jam. joan osborne on vocals is stellar. this DVD set is probably decent as the setlist is quite tempting. "friends should not let phil sing." i hope that joan does most of it.

[quote]lotsajizz wrote:
gimme Ratdog anyday

/quote]

Amen to THAT!! i hope they add denver to the fall tour as their july 1 and 2nd shows at red rocks were only one set each. back to the DVD: i was surprised to see the typically bob weir tunes of watchtower, the other one and know you rider, on this phil and friends dvd.

lmao, my husband considers these spin off bands cover bands as well. but i disagree. tho jerry was spirit of the band, i think each member does stand alone as probably some of the best in the industry. i think bob weir is one of the most under rated and under estimated rhythm guitar players. phil's bass has a voice of its own, just like bill wyman's does.

thanks for posting that info here.

[Edited by Jaxx]
29th August 2006 03:56 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
mojoman wrote:
as big of a fan of the dead that i am i dont think i could bring myself to see another solo show by either one of these guys. imo the dead were always a band that were the sum of their parts, to me both these members solo efforts are just glorified cover bands. they should just bury the hatchet like they always preached and jam together into eternity............

I think that way about Phil...but I saw Ratdog several times before Jerry died, so I don't view it the same....
29th August 2006 04:07 PM
Jaxx
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I saw Ratdog several times before Jerry died, so I don't view it the same....

yeah. thats the big difference. ratdog's been around since '91. i caught weir/wasserman, the root of the spinoff band here in englewood at the gothic the day i got laid off from my job. had jerry not died, who knows if ratdog would have endured? very probably would have gone on the wayside like the bob weir band, kingfish and bobby and the midnights.
29th August 2006 04:10 PM
lotsajizz don't forget the immortal "The Rockin' W's"!!...I first caught Weir and Wasserman in '89 at (then) Great Woods, opening for the JGB...Clarence Clemons (boo!) jammed with Jerry
29th August 2006 04:15 PM
Jaxx good point. i forgot about that. '89 it is!
29th August 2006 04:45 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Never got the chance to see Phil and Friends, but have seen Ratdog 3 times. I love Bobby's voice!! Last time I saw them they did a cover of Dear Prudence--unreal. Hope I get the chance to see Phil sometime.

I represent the exact opposite. I've seen PLAF three times, but never Ratdog.

They've been around, but poor timing has gotten the best of me. One day...
29th August 2006 07:19 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
don't forget the immortal "The Rockin' W's"!!...I first caught Weir and Wasserman in '89 at (then) Great Woods, opening for the JGB...Clarence Clemons (boo!) jammed with Jerry

i went to those shows too. i respected weir more in his bobby and the midnites day though my favourite band that he was involved with outside the boys was kingfish. weir is a good player and writer thats why i believe he should do a little more especially since the fat man rocked out over ten years ago. phil has put some great players together including robben ford, paul barrere, steve kimock hell just bout all of them. not into the chick though. some of the jams are interesting but to me they dont have the same dynamics the dead had nor should they. i dug the seastones project of his. jerry was the light and the way and thats what made things gel. just don't get excited enuf anymore to go. have fun. glad i got all those dicks picks to keep me warm at night, just wish there were more coming.
30th August 2006 10:38 AM
Jaxx yeah. its a shame about the dicks picks. but if you're into Bit Torrents, there's a boatload of grateful dead concerts at:
http://bt.etree.org/index.php?search=grateful+dead&cat=8
and unlike dimeadozen, its open. there's a bunch of jgb up there as well. you can also purchase some choice SB jgb at http://jerrygarcia.com/intro.html.

i liked kingfish as well. they sure put on a great concert. but the ratdog sound is alot different than the kingfish sound. its more bluegrassy and countryish. lots of harmonica as well. boy, they sure did a kick ass "i hear you knocking", mystery train, promised land, around and around and you gotta love "hidden charms". but in all honesty i find it hard to compare apples to oranges. ratdog has a kickass sax player and they're more jazzy, bluesy rNb ish.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)