ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Forum Outdoor, Horsens 3rd September
© Jyllands Posten with special thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New release of "Stones in the Park" DVD with bonus material Return to archive
27th August 2006 05:40 PM
Gazza
Network have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of The Stones in the Park (Limited Edition) for 25th September 2006 priced at £14.99. There never has been a concert like it. There never will be again. Now, Network is proud to announce the release of the concert documentary of one of the most famous live shows ever, complete with songs from the performance that have never been seen before.

Filmed just two days after the tragic death of guitarist Brian Jones, some 250,000 fans flocked to Hyde Park, London, on a pilgrimage to see the group described as “the greatest rock’n’roll band in the world” – The Rolling Stones. A free show, the band played their hits, including ‘Satisfaction’, ‘Honky Tonk Woman’, ‘Jumping Jack Flash’, and ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ and released thousands of butterflies into the air in a tribute to their former guitarist.

Winner of The Best News Documentary at the 1969 Rank News Film Awards, The Stones in the Park (Limited Edition) has been lovingly-restored and has received Dolby 5.1 treatment – meaning this concert has never looked or sounded better.

In addition to this digital restoration, The Stones in the Park (Limited Edition), in its special slip-case packaging comes complete with a number of extras including:

Three songs filmed at the concert, which have never been seen before – ‘Mercy, Mercy’, ‘Stray Cat Blues’ and ‘No Expectations’. Originally edited out of the final cut, they will be included here for the first time on DVD

Mick Jagger – an episode from the World in Action series where the Rolling Stones lead singer talks candidly about his drug arrest and subsequent release from jail when the sentence was quashed

Mick Jagger’s press conference following his release from prison in 1967

Rolling Stones news footage on their early fame, from 1967

Interview with Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts about their tour of France from 1971

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62535 (includes front cover, which doesnt seem to copy and paste correctly)

Thanks to mickijaggerroo for the info.

[Edited by Gazza]
27th August 2006 07:45 PM
Gimme Shelter I wish they would release it in the US
27th August 2006 07:46 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I wish they would release it in the US

Same here, I would love to get this on DVD....
27th August 2006 10:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:

Same here, I'll pay my ass to get a copy.
28th August 2006 06:38 AM
mrhipfl just so you guys know, there is a way to reprogram your dvd player to play all region codes. Look for "dvd player hacks" on google.
28th August 2006 06:40 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
just so you guys know, there is a way to reprogram your dvd player to play all region codes. Look for "dvd player hacks" on google.

legality?
28th August 2006 07:09 AM
Steel Wheels Who cares if it's legal. If you're able to do it, do it.
28th August 2006 07:12 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Who cares if it's legal. If you're able to do it, do it.

well, thats one attitude to have, but if you got busted, I'm sure you'd care, although this is assuming that it would be seen that you didn't realise it was illegal perhaps
28th August 2006 07:35 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I have the Japanese version and is great, love Stray Cat Blues that day even that it was not a good performance to say it in a diplomatic way. Will upload some to video later
28th August 2006 07:57 AM
corgi37 I have avoided buying this on dvd for just this reason. This is bloody great news. A commentary by the director, a band member (Bill maybe?) or part of the crew would have been great. Shit, even some words from some of the drummers!

Here in Oz, all our dvd players are multi region. I guess Yanks dont consider the rest of the world (sort of like their foreign policy or history in schools).

LSTNT just got released here in Oz, so i'll be hanging for The Park. At least i hope its gets a Oz release. Getting from the U.K. is ultra expensive. Then again, wifey is going to Hong Kong in Feb, so she can pick it up for me from there.

Stones in the Park is THE film that got me into them. We had to do a essay thing on it in English class. My mate and i, also called Craig, had no real fave band (though Miss You was out and i loved that) and this flick sure fucking changed it. I was crying when the beat for Sympathy started, and i had never even remotely heard of the song!

I agree with so many that the Stones playing was fairly terrible. I read that the guitars would not stay in tune due to the heat, and that may play a small part, but i think they just performed badly.

Still, its a really "happy" event, and much more cheerful than what happened 6 months later.

Is the included interview the one Jagger did with Mary Whitehouse and some pasty faced priest? I've seen some snippets from it. It was really a time where the oldies thought the youngies would indeed take over and change things.

But of course, we know thats all crap.

We all got fooled again.
28th August 2006 10:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:

Your PC is multi-region so it will play on that.

Like Corgi says, I cant understand why so many Americans dont have multi-region DVDs - its the norm pretty much everywhere else
28th August 2006 10:47 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Like Corgi says, I cant understand why so many Americans dont have multi-region DVDs - its the norm pretty much everywhere else

They just are not readily available here, especially to the "non techie". I don't understand why that is, to me it seems that the studios are missing out on a large chunk of international business. Perhaps though, that is the goal to keep the business with domestic merchants for movies.....what a shame though.
28th August 2006 10:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Is the included interview the one Jagger did with Mary Whitehouse and some pasty faced priest? I've seen some snippets from it. It was really a time where the oldies thought the youngies would indeed take over and change things.

But of course, we know thats all crap.

We all got fooled again.

he appeared with the old bag on the David Frost show in 1968

However, the World In Action interview - filmed outdoors at his request to symolize his re-found 'freedom' after being released from the nick - did include an Anglican bishop and a priest, a peer of the realm as well as William Rees-Mogg (the editor of 'The Times' who penned the famous 'Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel' story in support of him)

Not Mick's finest half-hour, to be fair. He was loaded with tranquilisers and a bit incoherent, to say the least. The establishment's fears for a revolution were somewhat eased by that performance!
28th August 2006 11:17 AM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

They just are not readily available here, especially to the "non techie". I don't understand why that is, to me it seems that the studios are missing out on a large chunk of international business. Perhaps though, that is the goal to keep the business with domestic merchants for movies.....what a shame though.

I have an all region player. Apparently some really cheap $35 dollar players don't have any region encoding at all, but I don't remember what brands.
28th August 2006 01:39 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

We just need to have a war on dvd players then....Is there more than the US Region?....(tongue firmly in cheek)
28th August 2006 10:47 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

well, thats one attitude to have, but if you got busted, I'm sure you'd care, although this is assuming that it would be seen that you didn't realise it was illegal perhaps

The police are not going to just show up at your place and randomly check your DVD player.

I have a multiregion player, myself.
28th August 2006 11:34 PM
not bound to please
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

There is nothing illegal about muti region dvd and VHS players. It's just that it is not widely available in the US. All you need to do is request one when you go to buy. Radio Shack actually has cheap machines.
28th August 2006 11:35 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

i live in fear that the matress police are comig 'cos i those tags are long gone

29th August 2006 12:02 PM
jpenn11
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

US companies generally get less revenue from overseas sales, so they do not want overseas DVDs or CDs coming back into the US to displace the more lucrative US sales. (The drug cos., etc. do the same thing.)

Some of the cheaper machines not only will play multi-region, but also will play *PAL* media on your NTSC TV.

(Mac, those pillow tag warnings are for manufacturers and retailers. The laws about mucking with protective video coding apply to everyone.)

29th August 2006 12:08 PM
gustavobala sometimes i wonder: why they don´t sell since the start the complete show???????

why sell now two more musics, and tomorrow another dvd with two more musics....god!

29th August 2006 09:54 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
sometimes i wonder: why they don´t sell since the start the complete show???????

why sell now two more musics, and tomorrow another dvd with two more musics....god!

One word: Money.
29th August 2006 10:34 PM
FrankiePeppers Philips/Panasonic/Sony all make PAL/NTSC multi-region dvd players, some for under $100. I am in the market for one right now.
29th August 2006 11:27 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

(Mac, those pillow tag warnings are for manufacturers and retailers. The laws about mucking with protective video coding apply to everyone.)

i was drunk when i posted that smart-ass comment; i apologize. i was thinking of the scene in fletch...

for the record, and it has been a while since i paid attention, but...

the 'puter dvd players are not region free (in north america - i have no idea what gazza gets in ire); anyway, you can switch it like three times. you can also flash the firmware, or use a software player that does all the region stuff for you. that said - the software to work around all this is over at doom9.net, but they do not come region free out of the box (in north america)

i have not seen what franki peppers is talking about, either, but i havent looked for a player like that for years - i bought a chinese one years ago that i use for this stuff, but it is nice to know you can buy them domestically now...

but i really dont think anyone is gonna storm your door to check if you are using a region free player; but i agree that it is good practice to not do illegal activities in your home.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
30th August 2006 07:23 AM
glencar What about our PC's? I know you can get the Brit copy & make a DVD copy on your home computer that will play on US DVD players.
30th August 2006 08:33 AM
mac_daddy it's more complicated than that, gc.

you see british dvd framerate is 25 fps; ours is approx. 30 fps. the screen resolutions are slightly different, too (i think). so there is a conversion that you have to do...

some dvd players will do it for you, and some computer dvd players (software and hardware combo) will do it for you, but it isnt as easy as copying a dvd...

31st August 2006 06:48 AM
corgi37 Yeah, Pal V NTSC is slightly different. But, my el-cheapo tv converts automatically. As did my 11 year old VHS. Here in Oz, dvds are so fucking cheap. They ALL play every region. No fiddling. No twiddling - just pop it in. I get stuff from o/s all time. Works on my puter too. Dont forget, my monitor is made in Taiwan or Malaysia too.

But, if my Yank mates are really wondering if they can play other region discs, why my gun-loving friends, simply go on the net (the very thing you are on now) and put your players name & code in.

You just might be very pleased. Generally, 99% of players can be converted to play all region discs simply by using the remote.

Us people in the civilised hemishere (lifts nose and sniffs) dont need to resort to such tactics.

We used to have the same thing here about 8 years ago. It cost around $100 to convert a player. My $800 unit just wouldnt play anything but our region. I bought it when i first stuck it to my wife about 8 years ago. I couldnt find the code anywhere on the net. Mainly because these cheap Asian brands are called different names in different countries. Same unit - just different monicker.

But, my $80 el-cheapo player plays absolutely anything. No conversion, just stick it in. Much like i used to do to the wife. Ah, the good old days.

Give it a whirl anyway.

Not stick it to my wife - try the code thing is what i meant!

P.S. Fuck, i truly am a funny bugger.
31st August 2006 07:07 AM
not bound to please
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yeah, Pal V NTSC is slightly different.

It's more than slightly different. Mac daddy is right - I forgot the screen ratios - but they are significant. 500 or so lines for PAL as opposed to 600 + in NTSC. NTSC is 29.9 "frames" per second, PAL is 25. Plus - dvd's have compression issues. A dvd will literally repeat background imagery to save space. Meaning - it will only copy movement. It's automatic - and usually causes artifacts. One can only wait until blue ray becomes the standard, which is a non compressed disk.

This is not even including the two different versions of secam, French and Asian.

But - you can easily hack your system if you know how - or buy a cheap dvd player. It will not be the best quality, but good enough.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)