ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Forum Outdoor, Horsens 3rd September
© Jyllands Posten with special thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: For MacDaddy or anyone in LA (TBC & DBT content) Return to archive
25th August 2006 04:18 PM
Saint Sway Hey y'all if you're in or around LA on monday the 28th - Crowes guitarist Marc Ford is doing a gig at the King King. He's put together a really cool band with Shonna Tucker, Brad Morgan & Jason Isbell from the Drive By Truckers. Plus some other all-stars. Should be a kick ass show. Catch it if ya can

Ryan Bingham & The Dead Horses are opening

[Edited by Saint Sway]
25th August 2006 06:14 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Hey y'all if you're in or around LA on monday the 28th - Crowes guitarist Marc Ford is doing a gig at the King King. He's put together a really cool band with Shonna Tucker, Brad Morgan & Jason Isbell from the Drive By Truckers. Plus some other all-stars. Should be a kick ass show. Catch it if ya can

Ryan Bingham & The Dead Horses are opening

[Edited by Saint Sway]

on it.

will be there...

do you know if recording willbe allowed (aka - running a stand)..? do you have an email i could contact re: open taping..?

there is always the undercover option, but i figured i would ask...

thanks for the heads up!

25th August 2006 06:24 PM
mac_daddy hey sway -

thanks again for the info...

is there any way to buy tickets ahead of time..?

25th August 2006 06:49 PM
mac_daddy did my own homework...

Marc Ford
Ryan Bingham
Shonna Tucker,
Jason Isbell, Brad Morgan & John Neff from
Drive-By Truckers
Scott & Joel from
Pawn Shop Kings
Dave Phenicie,
Muddy, Elijah Ford
Doors 9pm / $7 Cover

25th August 2006 08:07 PM
GimmeExile I may check this show out...Marc Ford's solo album is amazing.

Sway, when are the Crowes coming back for a multiple-night-stand in L.A.
25th August 2006 08:26 PM
mac_daddy
oh, and the gig is open-taping, so i am clear there, too...

28th August 2006 01:10 PM
GimmeExile macdaddy, I can't make the show tonight. If you get a good recording, may I have a copy?

Thanks!
28th August 2006 01:38 PM
Dan Drive By Truckers were awesome last night. I might go see them again some day.
28th August 2006 01:46 PM
Factory Girl I'm lukewarm on DBT.

Where can I get Marc Ford's amazing album?
28th August 2006 02:59 PM
Saint Sway FG, you can buy Marc's record at cdbaby.com for $12

Its very good. I really like it. One of my favorite albums.

Crowes are back on the road next week for the sthe Fall leg of their "never ending tour".... No L.A. dates added yet.... look for a multiple night stay in the end of Dec in S.F.

Mac,
have fun at the show! Really wish I could catch this one
28th August 2006 03:29 PM
Factory Girl Saint Sway,

Check PM!
28th August 2006 03:43 PM
Factory Girl another PM for Saint Sway!
28th August 2006 06:30 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Dan wrote:
Drive By Truckers were awesome last night. I might go see them again some day.

so you did go yesterday...?

dan, did you stay for the cramps, and did yourecord..? i bailed after dbt, and my buddy, who was also recording bailed after h3 - apparently the crowd was getting worse and worse as the evening progressed... i was looking for ya, but didnt see you - you mustve been deep undercover...

hopefully i will get to the gig tonight, but i know a buddy is going to be recording, so my being there running tape is not imperative. plus there is another cat who is always there @ king king recording the marc ford gigs - this one will circulate soon, but i will keep you posted...

my dbt recording sounds much better than i thought, but man - those folks at the jct must be deaf, because i have never heard such consistently poor sound from a venue - and it sounds the same, muddy and bottom heavy, each year - you would think somebody would fix it, but they just keep turning up the bass...

28th August 2006 06:59 PM
Dan
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

so you did go yesterday...?

Yes I did!

quote:

dan, did you stay for the cramps, and did yourecord..? i bailed after dbt, and my buddy, who was also recording bailed after h3 - apparently the crowd was getting worse and worse as the evening progressed... i was looking for ya, but didnt see you - you mustve been deep undercover...

I probably havent had a haircut since the last time you seen me. I spent a lot of time in between bands looking for familiar faces. And yeah it was wild during the Cramps. Got pushed and shoved a lot and some guy charging through the crowd, this chick punched him in the back of the head and he turned around and punched this guy next to her. I havent listened to it yet, I listened to a little bit of FP this morning.

quote:

hopefully i will get to the gig tonight, but i know a buddy is going to be recording, so my being there running tape is not imperative. plus there is another cat who is always there @ king king recording the marc ford gigs - this one will circulate soon, but i will keep you posted...

It almost looked tempting when I saw it was only $7 but I am really beat and want to kick back and enjoy these tapes.

quote:

my dbt recording sounds much better than i thought, but man - those folks at the jct must be deaf, because i have never heard such consistently poor sound from a venue - and it sounds the same, muddy and bottom heavy, each year - you would think somebody would fix it, but they just keep turning up the bass...

It wasnt as bad as it was last year, especially with the PA distorting and cutting out all through John Cale's set. It sounded better to me Hank Williams III it was kinda bad, in the beginning it was all fiddle and cymbals and everything buried underneath. Cramps was a little better and I actually went closer but there is going to be a lot of crowd ambience. Also my ears are kinda shot (Motorhead and 3 KISS club shows in 1990-1992 are surely to blame) so I have a hard time judging live sound anymore unless its really bad. I liked the Safari Sams sound system, I might go see the Dickies there next Friday.

28th August 2006 07:35 PM
mac_daddy sound sucked fer sure last year - my dolls recording is alot of bass. yesterday, during dbt, when the drummer would nail that floor tom, you could just hear the system overload. usually, those one-off fairs have the same cat doing sound year in and out, and it really gets dialed in...

funny - we walked in at the EXACT time you did. we were by the blockbuster, and i could hear the bass, and turned to my buddy (who hadnt been to the street fair before) and i told him dave a had started early. i was hoping the truckers were gonna play longer (their headlining gigs can top the three hour mark), but their set was short. funny about the delay - all that planning and pushing to have everybody early, and then the headliners stall... did you go on saturday (i was recording elsewhere that evening)..? i bet the eels and brmc pushed stuff really late (people have a huge hard-on for brmc, so i could see them going late), and they were likely told they were gonna be shut down at 10 exactly... were the dolls on sunday or saturday lst year..? waht about x..? i wanna say those were all sunday shows, and they all seemed to start alot later to me, and they never have been a half hour off the posted timeline (usually they are pretty close to that), although i remember d*cking around for a long time before X (remember carlos guitarlos came out and did his thing for a while, and nobody knew who he was, so everybody was giving him sh*t..?)

and who is the blonde mc that is there every year..?

glad you liked the truckers..? had you seen them before..? hopefully they wont play at the troubadour the next time they are in town - they are kind of a must see act when they come around, imo. i will have the dbt set uploaded to the LlaMA this evening; i will post a link when it is up.

28th August 2006 07:54 PM
Dan
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

[quote]

funny - we walked in at the EXACT time you did. we were by the blockbuster, and i could hear the bass, and turned to my buddy (who hadnt been to the street fair before) and i told him dave a had started early. i was hoping the truckers were gonna play longer (their headlining gigs can top the three hour mark), but their set was short. funny about the delay - all that planning and pushing to have everybody early, and then the headliners stall... did you go on saturday (i was recording elsewhere that evening)..?

Nah I only went Sunday and saved my energy by getting there late so I could do the other show.

quote:

i bet the eels and brmc pushed stuff really late (people have a huge hard-on for brmc, so i could see them going late), and they were likely told they were gonna be shut down at 10 exactly...

I think Saturday has an 11:00 curfew and Sunday 10:00. There were also overcrowding and problems during Sonic Youth's set though things were mellow in my spot. I always gravitate to the far right by the sidewalk/streetlight/motel.

quote:

were the dolls on sunday or saturday lst year..? waht about x..?

Those were both Sunday shows. They went on really early on Sunday and played almost 80 minutes. It may have even been still light out when X went on.

quote:

i wanna say those were all sunday shows, and they all seemed to start alot later to me, and they never have been a half hour off the posted timeline (usually they are pretty close to that), although i remember d*cking around for a long time before X (remember carlos guitarlos came out and did his thing for a while, and nobody knew who he was, so everybody was giving him sh*t..?)

I will have to update my info because I had no clue who he was either!

quote:

and who is the blonde mc that is there every year..?

No clue, I think she was there when I first went in 1997.

quote:

glad you liked the truckers..? had you seen them before..?

I dont even think I have ever heard them before yesterday.

quote:

hopefully they wont play at the troubadour the next time they are in town - they are kind of a must see act when they come around, imo. i will have the dbt set uploaded to the LlaMA this evening; i will post a link when it is up.

I might go see them again though I dont really like long shows anymore.

28th August 2006 08:44 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I'm lukewarm on DBT.

Me too. I feel like it's a band that I *should* like, but they always leave me cold. The songs are too samey; the melodies are slack; neither of the singers can actually sing; etc.

I've never seen them live, though, which I'm told is the true revelation.
28th August 2006 09:21 PM
Saint Sway this is interesting... looks like tonites show is going to be an acoustic performance by Marc & Friends. Cant wait to hear this.
28th August 2006 09:36 PM
mac_daddy
gonna try to get there, but i know it will be recorded, and i will hip you to the source(s) either way...

hey sway - what happend to ed..? i always liked him, and i am sad to see him go. is rob barraco gonna take over the spot..?
28th August 2006 09:45 PM
mac_daddy ok, so rob barraco didnt get the call

curiously, they did get a rob...

http://www.myspace.com/robclores
28th August 2006 09:47 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

gonna try to get there, but i know it will be recorded, and i will hip you to the source(s) either way...

hey sway - what happend to ed..? i always liked him, and i am sad to see him go. is rob barraco gonna take over the spot..?

Eds gotta go home and take care of himself. Thankfully no Barracco - cant stand him. They got another "Rob" who played for a bit with Rich on his solo tour. He lives here in NY and he's very good. Big Stones fan too - which makes him OK in my book. He's played with Jesse Malin, John Popper and bunch of other regulars from around here.

won't be the same without old wierd Ed though. He's the best. Eddie's style was such an integral part of their sound.

when they wrapped up the tour in Red Rocks on his last night they encored with "Space Captain" - perfect send off for him.

try and catch the show. Cool opportunity to see Marc & his DBTrucker friends get down.
29th August 2006 05:41 PM
GimmeExile Gentlemen, how was the show last night?
29th August 2006 06:19 PM
Saint Sway I've heard good reports... sounded laid back with a bunch of different musicians shuffling on and off stage to play with Ford. Sounds like it kicked off early - unlike the usual Ford late night start times

broken down into 3 sets:

1st set was about 1 40 min - a lot of acoustic stuff
2nd set was about 1 15min - mainly with the whole band but there were a couple Marc Ford and Jason Isbell acoustics together
3rd set was about 30 min entire band

I'll try and get an official set list if there is even one (sounds like it was a really loose gig)

Ford covered a bunch of songs including...

turquoise blue (Incredible String Band)
sing me back home (Merl Haggard)
odds and ends (Bob Dylan)
man in me (Bob Dylan)
baby what you want me to do (Jimmy Reed)
and a Tom Waits cover for the encore with everyone

and did a bunch of his solo songs including...
darlin' ive been dreaming
cry, moan and wail
feels like doin' time
let it shine (elijah vocals)
smoke signals
when you go (with kirsten vocals)
this ride
dirty girl (new song and a few other debuts)

Jason Isabell sang his tune "Dress Blues" and some others
Dave Phenicle - acoustic song
Ryan Bingham - 2 acoustic songs
Pawn Shop Kings - 2 acoustic songs
29th August 2006 11:20 PM
mac_daddy sorry for not replying sooner, ge...

i did not go (i can only do so many gigs, maintain employment AND a healthy marriage); but i also knew a close taping buddy was there with "bells on"

here is a report:

quote:
it was one of, if not, the best shows I have seen in a while. $7 - 3 1/2hrs (started 9:30 - ended at 1:30 - 2 breaks) - so much talent on stage.

i missed the 1st 30-60 seconds because I was anticipating the show starting at 10 and started setting up around 9:25ish. moving very slow taking my time, and look up as i pull my mics out of my bag and see marc sitting down and pretty much immediately started playing. so pissed at myself cause I was there around 9:15 and totally had enough time to set-up. oh well. MFF played an acoustic song solo, then the band came out...Muddy on Keys; fiddle/mando player who's name i don't know; MFF; His son Elijah; and the 4 truckers. played about 4-5 songs. Elijah had lead vocals for a Wilco song, can think of the name now, that kid is gonna be a badass. there were 3 solo acts by some artists that Marc was producing or helped with the album. they each played about 2 songs then the band came back out, 1st set ended with a really nice Isbell acoustic solo. 2nd set MFF and Isbell played Cry Moan and Wail together acoustic, just rediculous guitar work going on between them. marc started another song and the band joined part way through. pretty much variations of marc and the band rest of the show, but there was a point when marc left the stage for a couple songs.

crowd was good for the most part except i was right behind the couches in the middle of the room and the people below/in front of the stand did not stop talking. they were shushed a couple times during some of the acoustic stuff. just really poor form, talking loud when the rest of the room is almost silent. worse part is that they were friends/GF or Wife of the guy on keys (Muddy) so you figured they would have known better. tape seems to sound good otherwise, but i have a feeling the chatter is gonna be really annoying and prevalent, 2nd set i readjusted the mics and boosted the stand since I threw it up in a hurry 1st set.
29th August 2006 11:23 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I've heard good reports... sounded laid back with a bunch of different musicians shuffling on and off stage to play with Ford. Sounds like it kicked off early - unlike the usual Ford late night start times

broken down into 3 sets:

1st set was about 1 40 min - a lot of acoustic stuff
2nd set was about 1 15min - mainly with the whole band but there were a couple Marc Ford and Jason Isbell acoustics together
3rd set was about 30 min entire band

I'll try and get an official set list if there is even one (sounds like it was a really loose gig)

Ford covered a bunch of songs including...

turquoise blue (Incredible String Band)
sing me back home (Merl Haggard)
odds and ends (Bob Dylan)
man in me (Bob Dylan)
baby what you want me to do (Jimmy Reed)
and a Tom Waits cover for the encore with everyone

and did a bunch of his solo songs including...
darlin' ive been dreaming
cry, moan and wail
feels like doin' time
let it shine (elijah vocals)
smoke signals
when you go (with kirsten vocals)
this ride
dirty girl (new song and a few other debuts)

Jason Isabell sang his tune "Dress Blues" and some others
Dave Phenicle - acoustic song
Ryan Bingham - 2 acoustic songs
Pawn Shop Kings - 2 acoustic songs

Damn, is this show IL'ed or torrented?? Sounds like a keeper. Kinda OT, but anyone else think the Crowes could do a smokin cover of "Travellin' Man"?
30th August 2006 09:02 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

Damn, is this show IL'ed or torrented?? Sounds like a keeper. Kinda OT, but anyone else think the Crowes could do a smokin cover of "Travellin' Man"?

i guess you didnt see my post above yours...
30th August 2006 10:54 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Me too. I feel like it's a band that I *should* like, but they always leave me cold. The songs are too samey; the melodies are slack; neither of the singers can actually sing; etc.

I've never seen them live, though, which I'm told is the true revelation.

Hi Mel Belli,

I saw DBT at the 9:30 club recently. They played for over 3 hours, which is great. But, I was like "lets wrap this up already."

One of the best shows I've seen this year were Stones in Balto, MD and the Strokes in DC. The Strokes are AWESOME live, but I think they're too pretty for most RO guys to admit that they like them too.

FG!
30th August 2006 08:24 PM
mac_daddy the strokes are decent, but seem to borrow a little to much from other acts for my liking...

the truckers have their own thing. it can ge a bit rough, but i dig what they are doing - frm the top down with the albums and the gigs and the lyrics and the posturing and the whole enchilada...

now, here (@ ro and the couch), the truckers receive a bit too much hype, but that is just max and fiji getting excited :P and compared to the hard-on the rest of the world seems to have for the strokes, the local dbt hyperbole isnt so bad...

i'll tell you something else - when i saw the truckers play the other day, the thing that struck me was how much they all ENJOYED playing, and being in a band together. that enthusiasm showed in the music, and it was sweet. i have been lucky enough this year to see the stones play like that (at the forum) - i mean, that night, there was no place the band would've rather been, and it showed. and that is what makes a good rock show - when a band brings the heat - and the truckers are about as consistent in that dept. as any band playing today. i would go see 'em in a heartbeat (though i rarely get the chance 'cos they never play socal, thought the sf gig might be in play for me )

30th August 2006 08:30 PM
Throwaway
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i guess you didnt see my post above yours...

You da man!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)