ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jezuz!! What a great shot, it must be the cover of bigger bang
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MyThoughts On A Bigger Bang Return to archive
September 1st, 2005 02:58 AM
pdog This sin't so much a review as a really bad atempt to make a post. I figured I should share this with stones fans b/c my wife would laugh my ass out of the house...

"Rough Justice"
From the first riff to the cymbal crash, this is a punk rock and roll song. This song, just screams sex, the singer talks dirty. I don’t know what Rough Justice is, BUT!!! I have a feeling I’d like it!
This is new , no use in comparing it to other songs or even eras, it’s a new sound, with that old familiar sound all at the same time.

"Let Me Down Slow"
Starts out as a slow sounding song. Is it country, a little rockabilly? Countryfunkasexabilly !!!
Yeah!!! That’s it. This tune is danceable. I picture some good ol’ guys and girls doing some nifty cowpoke move. The song just builds up more and more. Is it getting faster or is it being played harder. I love the subliminal build up. The slide must be doing it….

"It Won’t Take Long"
Another great opening riff! I love the angry feel to the music and the lyrics. How are these guys making the guitar riff talk with the same feeling as the singer? How, how does someone do that? I feel so small just listening to this music. This song just begs to be played live.

"Rain Fall Down"
Oh! Ah! Funky groove, funky guitar chops.
Somebody is going to get fucked in this song, I think! Nice flow with the hopping lyrics. I am listening to this as I write this and my shoulders are rolling, my back is bopping and my head is swaying. This will need to be spell checked. What a great beat and flow to this… This shit could be looped in parts… This is definitely showing, their just not your average white boys with guitars. These guys just got the paint job, there’s more than meets the eye.

"Streets Of Love"
Is this song the crash after the great fuck you just had and now they’re gone! Must be. No wonder it works so well after Rain Fall Down. Very nice underlying fuzzy guitar layered under the acoustic. What great layering of sounds on this song. The vocal styling, are so varied, shows the singers incredible versatility. Builds up the pain perfectly. I feel this song. Which is all I ever want the music to do, is reach in me and pull an emotional string.

"Back Of My Hand"
How? How I SAY, can these guys put three songs in a row so diverse in style and make it work? This defies logic. This song is brutal, subtitle, yet so powerful. Everything works. It’s what you want to hear late at night, walking alone when you’re a little buzzed on a dark chilly street in some nameless city. This is IT!
This song ends an album side in my mind…
Timeless!

"She Saw Me Coming"
Once again, another great opening riff.
Makes my shoulders move and my feet are hitting the floor. Does the guitar player seem like the coolest guy in the world? Is the singer so oblivious to how fucking cool his band is that he just makes fun of himself regardless?

"Biggest Mistake"
Oh No, not another sappy falsetto intro…
I like the acoustic guitar layered with an electric riff and jerky leads. I don’t feel the lyrics from the singer. Too much regret… The chorus of Oh Oh’s saves this a little for me. I like the b. voc. Parts… Sounds like the guitar player getting a bit of his voice in there.

"This Place Is Empty"
That voice. It gets me every time. The piano and the acoustic guitar play together great. They both really bring out the singers voice. I can hear the ice cracking in the glass. The acoustic slide really is just something that brings out the loneliness of this song.

"Oh No, Not You Again"
Drums, Riff, Action!!! Whoa!
Is this what a punk rock grandfather would play? FUCK! Short leads mixed with hanging leads. This song builds up fast; it’s like a jet taking off. Good lyrics that pace the music very well. The chorus also builds up the intensity. This just takes off and then crashes with a crunchy ending! Yummy!
Must be great live!

"Dangerous Beauty"
Guitar riff and drum come in at the same time to kick it off… The guitar is choppy and the drumbeat is just laid back and cool!
The music hangs back just enough while singer brings it right up to the chorus. The chorus and breaks just seem to mesh…I like the lyrics. It’s contradictory at it’s finest.
There some really nice organ work on this, adds a retro feel to a very hip song. The leads are laid back. Good fucking song, I want to hear this live!!!

"Laugh, I Nearly Died"
What laid back start. I think I hear ice cracking in the glasses, I can smell the liquor through my speakers…
It feels so dark. This song is just beautiful.
The lyrics are contradictory. The singer is filled with pain and remorse. Once again his vocals and lyrics match the music perfectly. This song is going to grow on me. This is one of the few songs so far that really standouts out for me.
Someone took the old saying of pissing in the wind and made it into something big and beautiful.

"Sweet Neo Con"
A harmonica intro… Sweet.
The singer is mad at somebody…
Uh oh… Somebody’s going to get a verbal lashing.
Nice funky bass and beat with bouncy guitar licks. The lyrics come of as forced and a bit corny. Personally I think the people it’s aimed might still find it way to highbrow!
“It’s giving me the shits” ROTFLMAO!

"Look What The Cat Dragged In"
This is funky and bumping. Oh my god, is that an INXS riff…? Wow! And I like this anyway…
The beat sets body parts in motion, the guitars show up in perfect places. Right on fucking time!
The chorus is commanding. I like that, tell me what to do!
Awesome guitar lead… This would be great live.

"Driving Too Fast"
INXS theft part duex?
Songs about driving are pretty cool…
People call songs filler. I don’t like that term. I look at them like the song I don’t like as much as the others. Even this song is pretty cool. It’s telling a story, hopefully in a few weeks I’ll be able to piece the story together and sing this song while doing 90 mph down Divisadero Street. Yeah, that’s going to be fun! This song has fun written all over it.

"Infamy"
The intro is just too fucking COOL.
Spacey guitar and a jazzy funked up beat.
In For Me! The harp is played very well, who is that, is that the guy singing on most the other songs. The placement of the harp riffs is astounding, great timing. If this guy ever falls out with this singer, I bet he could make a pretty cool record on his own.
September 1st, 2005 03:13 AM
beer Excellent post PDog. I love the new album.Ibet i've listened to it more times than I have listened to Bridges and Dirty work combined. I listen to it, then play it again. It really is the best since Tattoo You.

THere are only 2 songs that I don't really care for: SOL and Biggest Mistake, but I don't think they're bad at all.
I can't believe people don't like Infamy more. It rules!

-
September 1st, 2005 03:16 AM
glencar Not a bad review although you like DB more than me & I like the "filler" more than you. But those first 4 songs are something else altogether!
September 1st, 2005 03:23 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
beer wrote:

THere are only 2 songs that I don't really care for: SOL and Biggest Mistake, but I don't think they're bad at all.
I can't believe people don't like Infamy more. It rules!

I'm with you man, biggest mistake's a snorer, and youl'l know my position on sol,

but infamy kicks ass!

possibly my fav, after rain fell down and drive
September 1st, 2005 04:02 AM
beer Right on Bloozehound, I really was hoping for a rocker by Keith this time, but I am more than happy with Infamy. A laid back, cool groove. And as for THis place is Empty, I like it more than "The Worst" or any of the Keef songs on Bridges.

-
September 1st, 2005 04:23 AM
Jumacfly I like biggest mistake thanks to the backing vocals...it gives a great feeling to the song IMHO.
September 1st, 2005 08:48 AM
Nasty Habits Infamy is the perfect outro strut to a great album. I feel like the band is playing this as they march out of the studio and into infamy, out of records and into the record books. If it weren't so heartbreaking to do so I'd compare it to a New Orleans street march. It's like a giant wave of glory that rolls every up-down-and-over thing that came before it on the album over the listener and back into the world with harp and guitar. Consolidating all the reggae influences of the record into one grand, uplifting groove. On his final songs, Keith typically sums it up in a sublimely melancholy way or makes you feel like the world is coming an end, but this song makes you feel like you're stepping out, apropos to the album title, into a new world.

Genius.

Good review Pdog. I think that Gazza for one likes Biggest Mistake because it sounds like a late 80s Springsteen song -- but it's the one that doesn't always work for me. I think it's that guitar hook. Doo dee doo doo doo. Drives me wee nuts. I do like the last verse about depressed Mick. Acting like a grouch on the couch makes me laugh just about every time.
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
September 1st, 2005 01:33 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Not a bad review although you like DB more than me & I like the "filler" more than you. But those first 4 songs are something else altogether!

I don't think there's any filler. I just used that term to describe a song that didn't catch me right away, yet I knew it was a good song.
That term gets tossed around alot, and not properly IMO. A song on the first few listens that someone calls filler, is something that a person is not allowing the chance to grow on them. For something to really be considered filler, it would take a few hundred plays and a bit of time, if the song sucks, it just sucks. Even then I won't call it filler, I'd just call it bad.
I wasn't calling it filler... I heard that term used by a few people on Stones boards. At the risk of coming of judgemental, I think that's a really bad, narrow minded term.
Filler just doesn't exist.
It's either to your liking or not. For something to need filler, it would infer that the product wasn't complete. IMO, after 30 minutes of music, you basically have an album. So, at that point it would be bloated or excessive or just flat out contrived bullshit.
This album is strong, very, very strong... It's so diverse msuically w/o coming off as contrived or stretched to thin.
The coolest thing is so many of us all have a wide variey of favorites on the record. So this shows the different tastes we have. I see alot of people in the coming months falling in love with the songs that they aren't falling over right away. This album has that kind of potential.
It's IMO a lving piece of work, that can and will grow over time... I might be wrong. Shit, I'm just going off gut instinct. What I sense in myself is some cutiing edge ground for the Stones and some very rootsy stuff too. I'm not the kind of person that throws out past records as benchmarks, I think that's lame.
I let the music stand on its own. I did find that there were styles that were retro Stones sounding and stuff that was very much the band finding a new sound inside themselves.
I can't call it a classic out the gate, the record will have to earn its awards on its own merits. It is really good, that much I know. Most rock and roll bands would be hard pressed to make one album, using one style, from any of the tracks on A Bigger Bang.
Only The Stones can stretch themselves so wide and still make something this strong.
In that sense, forgive me for using an album as a benchmark, it's like Some Girls.
A record which covered alot of styles.
I'm a ltille long winded at this point, so I better shut up!
[Edited by pdog]
September 1st, 2005 01:46 PM
Jair I'm enjoying the whole album, except SOL, by now.
But I liked the "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" vocal, is sweet.

Now I got a problem really is with "Look What The Cat Dragged In". I didnt like the guitar. Those "loops" (I don't know how it calls) almost in the end are weird...

Laugh, I Nearly Died is superb. What a song!
And the bass sounds like a locomotive. Too damn good.
September 1st, 2005 05:44 PM
Some Guy I like the album more now because of Pdogs review! Cool!
September 1st, 2005 06:07 PM
pdog
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I like the album more now because of Pdogs review! Cool!

I like Me more b/c it made this happen for you.
Even Joey may be at a loss for words!
September 1st, 2005 09:06 PM
Riffhard I cannot get Infamy out of my head! Just a great great Keith tune! I really dig the "Crackin' Up" vibe of the geetars! In my mind this is the best Keith tune since at least Thru and Thru,and quite possibly even farther back than that.

Riffhard
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)