ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jezuz!! What a great shot, it must be the cover of bigger bang
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Need your help for a radio program to talk about ABB and Tour Return to archive
August 31st, 2005 05:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I moved this question from the thread informing that I will be introducing "A Bigger Bang" live on the radio next Monday, the day the album goes on sale here. I need your help to make a good program!

Now this is a special question for you, and it’s real!

Imagine that you must talk about the new album and tour absolutely live on the radio in the biggest city of the world, you have one hour to introduce the new album to a regular audience, not hard-core fans like us. The purpose is to convince the audience that the CD rocks and the tour kicks serious asses.

With advertising and comments the time you have for songs allows you to select ONLY seven songs and an eighth one must be ready just in case the time is enough. While you are talking about the new album and the tour background music must be at low level.

So please help me suggesting seven songs to be played entirely an eight one just in case, and also background music for CD/TOUR-talk.

My chose is (in broadcast order):

1. Rough Justice
    2. Back Of My Hand
    3. Street of Love
    4. Laugh, I nearly Died
    5. Biggest Mistake
    6. Rain Fall Down
    7. Infamy
    8. Sweat Neo Con

Background music will be: It won’t take long, the solos of remaining songs, and This Place is Empty

With this we have the rocker, the blues, the ballad, the special, the funky-punk-reggae-rock, the experimental and the one with controversial lyrics.

Now let me know what would you do in my case?
August 31st, 2005 05:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I think it will be six songs only, Julia loves to talk a lot on the air
August 31st, 2005 06:20 PM
Mel Belli "She Saw Coming" is second only to "Laugh" for me right now. Others here seem not to dig it as much ... too repetitive and all that. But I think it's the grabbiest thing on the album.
August 31st, 2005 06:21 PM
Poison Dart You have to get Oh No, Not you Again in there somewhere. It's the most Stones sounding of the bunch and one of the few new tunes they are playing thus far.

August 31st, 2005 06:43 PM
Tom 1. Rough Justice
2. It won't take long
3. This place is empty
4. Laugh, I nearly Died
5. Biggest Mistake
6. Back Of My Hand
7. Sweat Neo Con
8. ONNYA

[Edited by Tom]
August 31st, 2005 06:52 PM
glencar Only 6?

1. Rough Justice
2. It won't take long
3. Driving Too Fast
4. Laugh, I nearly Died
5. ONNYA
6. Back Of My Hand
and if 8:

7. She Saw Me Coming
8. Infamy

[Edited by glencar]
August 31st, 2005 07:29 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I moved this question from the thread informing that I will be introducing "A Bigger Bang" live on the radio next Monday, the day the album goes on sale here. I need your help to make a good program!

Now this is a special question for you, and it’s real!

Imagine that you must talk about the new album and tour absolutely live on the radio in the biggest city of the world, you have one hour to introduce the new album to a regular audience, not hard-core fans like us. The purpose is to convince the audience that the CD rocks and the tour kicks serious asses.

With advertising and comments the time you have for songs allows you to select ONLY seven songs and an eighth one must be ready just in case the time is enough. While you are talking about the new album and the tour background music must be at low level.

So please help me suggesting seven songs to be played entirely an eight one just in case, and also background music for CD/TOUR-talk.

My chose is (in broadcast order):

1. Rough Justice
    2. Back Of My Hand
    3. Street of Love
    4. Laugh, I nearly Died
    5. Biggest Mistake
    6. Rain Fall Down
    7. Infamy
    8. Sweat Neo Con

Background music will be: It won’t take long, the solos of remaining songs, and This Place is Empty

With this we have the rocker, the blues, the ballad, the special, the funky-punk-reggae-rock, the experimental and the one with controversial lyrics.

Now let me know what would you do in my case?

I would move Infamy to backup music position, just because I think it will sound incredible as a music bed. That groove is going to be licensed as backup music for any number of things in the near future, so you might as well get on the cutting edge of voice-over. If I were you I'd use it for my outro. I would open with the Dangerous Beauty instrumental passages because those say "ROCK".

I agree with the folks what says that you need to get Oh No Not You Again in there, Voo - that song is so fast, crazy, out of control, and catchy that it is essential to playing this album for ANYONE. I played a burn of it at a party this weekend and it got a requested sequential repeat. People were dancing like fools.

If I were you I'd lose Biggest Mistake - this song doesn't necessarily work for the listener immediately and a lot of its charm has to do with its lyrics, not always easy to catch first time around. I would think this would be even tougher from where you're broadcasting. I don't think it's an immediate switchup that will appeal to the general public, and Rain Fell Down probably covers that base and sounds better to a contemporary audience.

I think it's smart to include Neocon because whether or not you think it's a good song people are really interested in hearing it. Any trouble playing swears on Mexico City radio? I am bummed I can't play Oh No on the air up here.

So (in order):

Rough Justice
Back of My Hand
Streets of Love
Oh No Not You Again (necessary antidote to SOL - play imm. after! )
Laugh I Nearly Died
Neocon

with Rain Fell Down and Cat Dragged In lurking in the wings.

That way you have something for everyone that represents most of the album's facets, esp. if you've got the mid-tempo riffers and Keef songs represented in your music beds.

You can also play Ray Charles' The Night Time Is the Right Time as a bed or a brief snippet to let people know what they're covering. Same with Get Up Stand Up.

Good luck, my friend! I can't wait to listen.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
August 31st, 2005 09:55 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks everybody, so far I have seen your points, remember that is not a list of favorites but the best samplers to show how this new album mixes rock-punk-funky-reggae-blues-ballads in an exquisite way. If I list my six favorites the list wouldn't be the same I posted.

August 31st, 2005 10:24 PM
IanBillen 1. Rough Justice
2. Streets of Love
3. ONNYA
4. Rain Fall down
5. IWTL
6. This place is empty

In this order is what I would choose. You gotta go with SOL because it is the new single and it has a very wide demographic.

*I wouldn't choose Neocon that's for sure. If you want to get this album known why offend almost half of the audience in their first glimpse of the album. It doesn't really make any sense.

Ian
August 31st, 2005 11:27 PM
KeepRigid I would drop Sweet Neo Con in favor of She Saw Me Coming. Both SSMC and LIND showcase a nice blend of styles, as opposed to just sounding like the Stones trying to mimic one particular style. (Remember how many different descriptions SSMC had in early reviews?!)

For the background, I'd use the solo from It Won't Take Long and some of the drums/bass/guitar instrumental jams from Dangerous Beauty, etc. This way, you can offer variety, but still highlight the album's raw strengths as well.

If all else fails, wrestle control of the microphone, turn the whole program into VoodooChileInRadioland, and just play the whole album.

[Edited by KeepRigid]
August 31st, 2005 11:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
For the background, I'd use the solo from It Won't Take Long and some of the drums/bass/guitar instrumental jams from Dangerous Beauty, etc. This way, you can offer variety, but still highlight the album's raw strengths as well.

Brilliant! I love the solos in DB great riffs and love the bass/drums
September 1st, 2005 04:40 PM
gimmekeef You cant lose Voodoo ..so many great choices.But for pure kick ass..so far the 10-12 folks I've played cuts for all really dig.."Drivin Too Fast"....Fabulous toe tapper....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)