ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jezuz!! What a great shot, it must be the cover of bigger bang
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Only 15 in UK Chart Return to archive
August 30th, 2005 04:17 AM
Voodoo Scrounge What the fuck.

I thought they would get at least a top ten
August 30th, 2005 04:44 AM
Gazza Personally, I didnt
August 30th, 2005 06:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man I agree with Gazza.

I actually think that 15th is a pretty good placing for a Stones single in the 21st Centuary.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the highest charting Stones single since 95's Like A Rolling Stone. I think that release charted at number 12.
August 30th, 2005 07:14 AM
glencar The last US Top Ten hit was Mixed Emotions.
August 30th, 2005 07:16 AM
Private Godfrey Yeah and Oasis are number 1 this week which will make they even more big headed----Has anyone seen the video for the single?
August 30th, 2005 08:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
The last US Top Ten hit was Mixed Emotions.

The Stones last UK top ten was Start Me Up! Undercover just missed out. It reached the dizzy heights of number 11.
August 30th, 2005 09:07 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Anybody seen my baby is a great song. Somebody told me that they didnt release it in the uk. Is that so and why
August 30th, 2005 09:11 AM
Zeeta Is there a video for Streets of Love? I loved Like a Rolling Stone video - it was awesome!
August 30th, 2005 09:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Anybody seen my baby is a great song. Somebody told me that they didnt release it in the uk. Is that so and why

yes they did. ASMB, Saint of Me and Out Of Control were all singles in the UK

ASMB just about scraped into the top 40 briefly, I think.
August 30th, 2005 09:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Is there a video for Streets of Love? I loved Like a Rolling Stone video - it was awesome!

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/215094-1.html
August 30th, 2005 10:00 AM
Monkeytonk-man Personally i think #15 for that particularly crappy song isn't bad at all. (Streets of love)

To tell the truth I'm kinda happy it didn't get higher, I've already had to put up with loads of piss taking from my mates who all think it's crap.

Now Rough Justice is a different matter all together, that rocks and I would have stood by that tune to the hilt, unfortunately not many of my chinas have heard it 'cus Streets of love has been the tune getting most of the air play (if any) in the UK

SOL may well be a good album track and fit nicely into the overall landscape of the album, but as the lead song, don't think i've ever been so embarressed by the stones. Of course that will all change when all my mates find out how much tickets will be going for to go to the concerts next year.I'm gonna be using twice as much toilet paper' cus my mates will have tore me a brand new arsehole.

Christ. The shit I put up with being a stones fan.

August 30th, 2005 10:08 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I thought that they didnt release it in the uk but it did really well in europe
August 30th, 2005 10:13 AM
Monkeytonk-man single came out last monday in the UK.

Had to listen to Streets of love about 30 times, but it did start to grow on me, but then again so does fungus!

RJ kicked me straight between the balls first time I heard it, same as ONNYA. They rock dude, totally!
August 30th, 2005 10:15 AM
Gazza yeah it was released here OK

the weird thing about recent Stones singles though is this - even though theres this running joke that they dont sell records in the UK or get airplay etc, in the last fifteen years or so what singles theyve released in the UK have consistently charted a lot higher than they have done in the US, where they play more often, get more airplay and sell more concert tickets

Its weird that people will pay up to about $500 for a concert ticket but not a couple of dollars for a single
August 30th, 2005 10:25 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Very strange. Lets just hope they buy the album.
August 30th, 2005 10:27 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Its weird that people will pay up to about $500 for a concert ticket but not a couple of dollars for a single

Agreed, but regardless of how little a single costs, many don't bother because they KNOW the track will feature on the studio album.

Using this logic, it's easy to understans why singles sell so little.
August 30th, 2005 10:36 AM
Zeeta Why didn't they record a video to coincide with the release here?! Bizarre!? Are we not good enough?!

August 30th, 2005 11:12 AM
The Wick
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yeah it was released here OK

the weird thing about recent Stones singles though is this - even though theres this running joke that they dont sell records in the UK or get airplay etc, in the last fifteen years or so what singles theyve released in the UK have consistently charted a lot higher than they have done in the US, where they play more often, get more airplay and sell more concert tickets

Gazza, don't you think that's because of the way radio is in the UK and the size of the UK. You have Virgin and Radio One which are far more diverse in many ways than many US stations and you don't really have the equivalent stations in the States where every city has a load of stations. Both those stations are massive all over the UK, and hence, more people hear a more diverse array of music, especially singles. The UK is also more singles orientated than the States. Just look at Top of the Pops, I know no one really watches it anymore, but that kind of program went dead over 20 years ago in the States. Moreover, the stations in the States usually play one style and are devoted to classic rock / oldies / shit hop, etc. Consequently, I still think that the Stones are, relative to their status, ignored by the British public. You don't hear many young people talking about the Stones in Britain, and although the Stones are no longer a band for America's youth, there is a genuine appreciation of the band even amongst younger audiences.
August 30th, 2005 11:38 AM
mmdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yeah it was released here OK

Gazza,

The Stones have only released one single for purchase in the U.S. since 1995. That was the Sympathy For The Devil remixes a couple of years back. That actually hit number one on the Singles sales chart here. However since 1998 the Hot 100 chart is based more on airplay than actual sales. Most singles are not even released for sale. The Stones still get quality airplay on Rock stations, but very little on Top 40 stations, which is why the SFTD remix charted at #94, despite being the best seller.
August 30th, 2005 07:15 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mmdog wrote:
The Stones still get quality airplay on Rock stations, but very little on Top 40 stations, which is why the SFTD remix charted at #94, despite being the best seller.

The SFTD remix only sold 8,600 copies the first week, not much impact for a good position on the Hot 100 and #97 was pretty good for that small numbers.
August 31st, 2005 11:05 AM
mmdog
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

The SFTD remix only sold 8,600 copies the first week, not much impact for a good position on the Hot 100 and #97 was pretty good for that small numbers.

Soldatti,

Those 8,600 copies still made it the best selling single that week, right?
August 31st, 2005 12:31 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mmdog wrote:

Soldatti,

Those 8,600 copies still made it the best selling single that week, right?

Yep, it sold 10 more copies than Elvis.
August 31st, 2005 01:20 PM
glencar I heard Laugh, I Neraly Died on the local radio this morning. Nice, very nice!
August 31st, 2005 06:29 PM
glencar From rs,com:

The Rolling Stones' single "Streets Of Love" is storming the European charts. In Spain, "Streets Of Love" currently sits atop the charts in the #1 position! Elsewhere, the single is finding similar success.

"Steets Of Love" entered Holland's singles charts at #5. This occasion marks the highest chart positioning for a Stones' single in Holland since "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" entered the charts at #4 in 1965. In the UK and Germany, the single has reached the #12 and #15 spots respectively.
August 31st, 2005 07:58 PM
Soldatti #12 in Germany?
That's the best position since Harlem Shuffle I think.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)