ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jezuz!! What a great shot, it must be the cover of bigger bang
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Reading Festival 2005 Return to archive
August 30th, 2005 03:21 AM
Voodoo Scrounge What a great advert for the Rock industry.
This was my fifth consecutive year at Reading and without question the best yet. The Killers were fantastic, the Pixies were at their imperious best. The Queens of the Stone age were also one of the greatest things I have seen live for a long time and that was only the Friday!

On saturday I passed up the opportunity to see the Foo Fighters and opted to see Babyshambles and The Tears instead. Arcade on Fire were mind blowing and Razorlight have now taken up the post of best rocking British band in my eyes. The Charlatans bought back some very fond memories. However the Kings of Leon were a let down.

Come sunday, I had drank through almost every band that I could possibly see and drugged myself through the nights that followed the days. But sunday was for resting and after I allowed myself an extra hours lie in, I got up to rock again. The Hot Hot Hot were sublime, Iggy and the Stooges were memorable, Incubus were destinctly average and Marylin Manson put on a great display of Rock and Roll. But the highlight of the day was Iron Maiden. They kept the crowd waiting an absolute age before they took to the stage. And when they did they blew everybodys mind. The played no songs which didnt appear on the first four albums and it was a breath of fresh air to see a band revisit their older stuff (Hint hint stones).

All in all, a great weekend of excess, recomended to anyone.

Anybody else go this weekend?
August 30th, 2005 01:06 PM
Angiegirl No, but I went to the Lowlands festival (3 days: Fri-Sun) in Holland 2 weeks ago, about 60% shared line-up with Reading and other festivals in Europe.

I agree with you about the Pixies! Great great great, what a comeback!!! The tent was so full one could hardly lift one's plastic beer cup to one's mouth. I'm so glad I finally got to see them, missed them in Amsterdam last year (no money).

Queens of the Stone Age? I thought they sucked beyond belief. That singer's voice sounded like an average 16 year old rehearsing in his parent's basement. Although they played all their hits I thought it was unmoving and mediocre at best. Disappointing.

Arcade on Fire, wonderful!!!
Missed the Foo Fighters too, had to return home on Sunday night, they were the closing act.

We had Marilyn Manson on Saturday, everybody came out to watch, it was cool to see him, a decent show, but Marilyn seemed a bit tired/uninspired with a look on his face like 'what the fuck am I doing here'. Still, it was quite cool to see him. His band sounded ok, some very obvious mistakes made by his drummer and his guitarist.

Agree with you on Incubus as well. Though better than the Queens, I had expected more of them.

We also had The Editors (fantastic! they lost their instruments and equipment on Amsterdam airport, so they had to borrow from other artists. 'Never fly EasyJet' the singer said, lol). And Nightwish (ok), Korn (nice), Bad Religion (disappointing and uninspired), Heather Nova (boring), Zita Swoon (Belgian band I love dearly and I adored their show as a result), Polyphonic Spree (nice), Kaiser Chiefs (fantastic show!), Franz Ferdinand (ok), The Prodigy (party!!), The Bravery (cool), Social Distortion (I missed them), Royksopp (cool, dancing like crazy), Fort Minor (surprisingly good and well-received by the audience), Apocalyptica (I liked them very much, though not my music generally), Death From Above 1979 (ok), Vive La Fete (Belgian act, wonderful again), Maximo Park (great), The Others (missed them), Audio Bullys (missed them), Dropkick Murphies (cool, but seen them too many times already on festivals), Morcheeba (saw 1 song, ok), Dresden Dolls (ok), T. Raumschmiere (great again), LCD Soundsystem (not quite my taste, but good). And a shitload of others, some Dutch acts too.

My highlight was Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, as I knew he would be. Oooohhhh, that guy is so wonderful! What a magnificent show. I was surprised however how most people just stood there to watch, how they could stand still without dancing or at least moving to his gems of songs!!

Fantastic weekend, no rain, great group of friends, I wasn't even cold at night in my tent on the campside, and I drank enough but not too much. Perfect festival weekend!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
August 30th, 2005 01:07 PM
Dan Iron Maiden and the Stooges on the same day. Cant imagine a more incredible gig right now.
August 30th, 2005 01:08 PM
Hannalee Did Bruce mention the Ozzfest debacle?

I live in Reading, but the closest I get to it is coding the idiots who end up in hospital.
August 31st, 2005 03:05 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Bruce made some comment about how much he loved Black Sabbath. He didt mention Sharon, but there were a shit load of "Fuck Sharon" signs around
August 31st, 2005 04:34 AM
Jumacfly the killers: most overrated band of the decade, pale copy of the great Franz Ferdinand!!
August 31st, 2005 04:38 AM
Monkeytonk-man Holy shit, I've not heard any of the Killers that I can remember, but if they are a pale version of Franz Ferdinand, then they must really suck, 'cus FF blow - HARD!
August 31st, 2005 05:13 AM
Voodoo Scrounge The Killers are a very good band and so are Franz Ferdinand. Nearly 50,000 people said so on friday
August 31st, 2005 06:15 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
The Killers are a very good band and so are Franz Ferdinand. Nearly 50,000 people said so on friday

No, Franz Ferdinand are terrible. The Killers on the other hand are fantastic and Brandon Flowers has the "right look" down to a tee.

August 31st, 2005 06:24 AM
Zeeta The Killers are odious.

Is Brandon the twat that has a keyboard on stage which he goes over to every now and then to play a few synth notes? 'orrible!

August 31st, 2005 06:38 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Could say that for jagger on guitar. He is a great frontman none the less
August 31st, 2005 06:42 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
The Killers are a very good band and so are Franz Ferdinand. Nearly 50,000 people said so on friday

I ve seen those 2 bands, one last year and the killers two months ago...their single "somebody told me" is the most boring tune of the year, oh wait, sorry, their new single is the most boring of the year...oh wait again,they're the same songs!!
August 31st, 2005 06:47 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Could say that for jagger on guitar. He is a great frontman none the less

yes but "Brandon" isn't. You can't have seen this act as you wouldn't be comparing it.

As for who has the best look at the moment it's Mr Pete Doherty unquestionably.
August 31st, 2005 06:57 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
The Killers are odious.

Is Brandon the twat that has a keyboard on stage which he goes over to every now and then to play a few synth notes? 'orrible!

Odious? Please explain.

I think the Killers are fantastic and much better than a lot of the wank out there today and yes, my beloved Brandon is the twat with the keyboard.

August 31st, 2005 07:09 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Im not comparing the twos performances, just their musicianship. He cant play keyboard very well and jagger cant play guitar very well. Both bands still work very well though
August 31st, 2005 07:13 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Odious? Please explain.

I think the Killers are fantastic and much better than a lot of the wank out there today and yes, my beloved Brandon is the twat with the keyboard.

extremely unpleasant; causing and deserving hate

Yes there's a lot of wank out there and Killers are just that very wank!
August 31st, 2005 07:24 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Zeeta wrote:

yes but "Brandon" isn't. You can't have seen this act as you wouldn't be comparing it.

As for who has the best look at the moment it's Mr Pete Doherty unquestionably.

I'd agree, but I feel that guy is an absolute waste of space at the moment and until Babyshambles reschedule their postponed Brixton Academy show, I'll be an angry man.

It's all just so ridiculous. Their album SHOULD OF been out months ago and I think a lot of people will soon tire of him and his antics. As soon as Kate Moss finishes with him and his only credentials left are his musical ones, then I think Joe public will forget him. Actually, I'd say that’s a good thing because the talent is there, it's just buried. In an ideal world, Doherty and Barat would patch things up and get the Libertines back together, but it won’t happen. Though personally, I suspct he still hankers for something to happen.

It’s just my opinion that either Doherty is still extremely confused or he just doesn’t take his new venture seriously.
August 31st, 2005 07:33 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Doherty is a young drugged up man having extreme amounts of money thrown at him at the moment. This money is feeding his habit. As soon as people get fed up (Like Honky Tonk said) it will all go pear shaped for him. He will either end up dead in some hotel room or Barat will come and bail him out as he has done so many times before.

As for his look. Well fuck me, My local tramp looks better and could probably hold a not better too!
August 31st, 2005 08:14 AM
Honky Tonk Man Part of my resentment towards Doherty stems from my brother, who is a fanatical fan. He's even just purchased one of those daft trilby hats he wears!

Part of me blames myself. If I hadn't lent him Up The Bracket or took him to see the Libertines in 2003, I wonder if he'd be such a fan now. Ironically, Doherty was a no show at this gig. I remember hearing from someone that he might miss the gig due to an "illness" but I was hopeful he'd be there. Funnily enough, they were brilliant without him and a few songs in, I think I’d forgotten who he was.
August 31st, 2005 08:29 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I have seen the libertines both with and without doherty. They were very good both times. I do think that Barat is a bit up himself and that in his not so drugged up days Pete was more of a laugh, but I would still like to see them reform.

Up The Bracket is a fantastic album without question and The Libertines was great too. I thought that Babyshambles early stuff was quite good. Although there was always a part of me that thought they were Libertines castaways.
August 31st, 2005 09:09 AM
Zeeta Up the bracket is truly awesome. Agreed on Pete's mental state.

Did you guys see "Who the Fuck is Pete Doherty" documentary the other night on BBC3 - t'was very insightful and showed what a fuck up he is and yet what potential he has.

He'll be dead by the end of the year is my prediction...
August 31st, 2005 11:31 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yes I did. I was out, but naturally my brother taped it. I thought it was quite good and like you put it, very insightful.

After watching it, I came to the following conclusion and this is the real root problem. As people constantly point out, YES he's intelligent and YES, He’s talented singer and songwriter. However, the guy has ZERO common sense. It's as simple as that folks. Until he corrects this issue and wises up, he’ll continue to be a promising individual, but like so many, in reality a failure.
September 1st, 2005 09:58 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Its so sad that wheonever he ods, the newspapers will be spreading the "genius Dies Too Young" headlines. They cant wait to put him down now. I dont blame them, but they do make me sick
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)