ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jezuz!! What a great shot, it must be the cover of bigger bang
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang, your review here! Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 30th, 2005 09:50 PM
gotdablouse I'd have to say the only disappointment at this time are the relatively weak lead guitar lines, very uninventive other than the solo on DB, but the rythm guitars are excellent.
August 30th, 2005 09:58 PM
Riffhard I am of the mind that I will not download the disk. I will hear it when my station gets it in. As it stands I will be airing the album in from start to finish a day or two before the release date. I'll be hosting "A Very Special Edition of Rat Tracks" with commentary from your's truly. This show will be streamed on line at www.wrat.com when it goes down. I will post the date and time when it's sorted out.

From the sound of all of your reviews it's a killer!! I have only heard the three tunes already available. Ofcourse,I have also heard the sample clips from Amazon,but I don't want to spoil it.

Is it really better than Voodoo? In my mind that was the last "very good" Stones' effort.

Riffhard
August 30th, 2005 11:56 PM
Poplar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
14) Look What The Cat Dragged In - Undercover meets INXS. This is becoming the sleeper on the album for me. 8/10

totally INXS, i was thinking the same thing last night.
and yes, it is THE sleeper!!!!!

August 30th, 2005 11:58 PM
Poplar
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
Even Neocon with its silly lyrics has some magic in there( the yeah, yeah, yeah by Jagger at the end is infectcious)

i found that one pleasantly surprising... the "yeahs" are delicious.
August 31st, 2005 12:22 AM
beer
quote:
Gazza wrote:

11) Dangerous Beauty - The best riff on a Stones song since "Start me up". In fact, its a better song. A tune thats genuinely menacing. I like my Stones riffs loud and nasty and this suffices. After I first heard it, I went out and killed someone, just for the hell of it. 10/10

! Haha!!
You didn't kill Jb, did you? He seems to be missing in action. I still am waiting for him to post details about his "Jagger Encounter".

-
August 31st, 2005 01:00 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
beer wrote:

! Haha!!
You didn't kill Jb, did you? He seems to be missing in action. I still am waiting for him to post details about his "Jagger Encounter".

-

yes you're right beer...he is very conspicuous by his absence

come out jb where ever you are - i demand to see your concert review!!
August 31st, 2005 01:06 AM
beer I can only assume he only posts when he has something negative to say.

naw, all kidding aside, word on the street is, Jb bumped into ol' Mick. I just wanna know what went down. the thought of Jb running into Mick cracks me up!

-
August 31st, 2005 01:18 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
beer wrote:

naw, all kidding aside, word on the street is, Jb bumped into ol' Mick. I just wanna know what went down. the thought of Jb running into Mick cracks me up!

-

oh yeah!?!

i gotta here about that!!

i imagine they had an in depth talk about attendance figures,album sales etc.
August 31st, 2005 01:24 AM
beer
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

oh yeah!?!

i gotta here about that!!

i imagine they had an in depth talk about attendance figures,album sales etc.

Yeah, i'm sure the topic of the tour and album being a bust was brought up!!

-

-
August 31st, 2005 05:16 AM
Jumacfly Driving too fast is a killer too!!
the cat : the way Mick sings, following the lead guitar: priceless!!
August 31st, 2005 05:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Is it really better than Voodoo? In my mind that was the last "very good" Stones' effort.
Riffhard

miles better

And also a much better record than "very good"
August 31st, 2005 05:28 AM
maumau thanx gazza for the review revisited
sounds like everyone find his/her own amusement in ABB
with, it seems, the exception of L,IND that got i think general consensus as best track
it's really a good album and Cat is chasing Mick as he travels from Arabia to Africa.... and she sees him coming as well
August 31st, 2005 05:32 AM
maumau and uh i forgot
where's the petition for them to play the whole ABB live?
i'll subscribe
August 31st, 2005 07:21 AM
Poplar ...about 4 listens in now... holy shit.

Altogether: great... but the last 30 minutes of it is truly incredible.

"hang on to the wheel, i think we're gonna crash!"

[Edited by Poplar]
August 31st, 2005 07:59 AM
maumau
quote:
Poplar wrote:
but the last 30 minutes of it is truly incredible.

agree
wonder how songs are divided on the double vinyl lp

in my edited version i got a single lp
and it sounds like this

side a
------
RJ
IWTL
BOMH
SSMC
LWTCDI
TPIE

21,15 min

side b
------
ONNYA
L,IND
SNC
DTF
I

21,10 min

this is a classic i think, and side B is a killer, i could even add DB, which i don't dig that much and it will even kick some more ass
August 31st, 2005 10:32 AM
Nasty Habits Beer and I have talked about this --

as the album stands the vinyl sequencing is no doubt in trouble -- one song short for peak flavor. If they go 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 then everything is completely out of wack. It's CRUCIAL that record two start with Oh No Not You Again, which means the breakdown has to happen like this:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fell Down
Streets of Love

Back of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty

Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh I Nearly Died
Neocon

which leaves us w/a three song side four:

Look What the Cat Dragged In
Drive Too Fast
Infamy

Vinyl is a song short.

Why there can't be a nice tasty cover song right

LWTCDI
------------->HERE
DTF
Infamy

is a virtual hangin' matter.

I will take a three song side four over a four four four four travesty that opens sides of records with things like Streets of Love, The Place Is Empty and Sweet Neocon.
August 31st, 2005 10:48 AM
maumau you're perfectly right
that's why in my edited version LWTCDI is moved on the A side
so i have keith ending both sides
ONNYA starting B side
and almost the same length each
August 31st, 2005 03:03 PM
leandro siqueira Well, 'A Bigger Bang' is great! Man, I'm in tears now hearing Back Of My Hand. Great Blues!!!
The album as a whole is a classic. I love Rough Justice, Streets Of Love, This House Is Empty(Keith's voice is so good!) etc.....I love them all!..If I had to post my own rate, i would say, with all of my heart: 1000! Great and Marvellous album! cheers
[Edited by leandro siqueira]
August 31st, 2005 07:39 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:

miles better

And also a much better record than "very good"

Better than VL?
I can't wait to hear it!
August 31st, 2005 09:42 PM
Gimme Shelter I've listened to the whole album a couple of times now and I think it's incredible. I really like "Look What the Cat Dragged In."
August 31st, 2005 11:34 PM
stonedinaustralia well this all sounds very promising

apart from a couple of listens to the MP3s of RJ,SOL and BOMH i've heard nothing

you guys have got me rocking on this thing now!!
September 1st, 2005 09:04 AM
Lazy Bones A BIGGER BANG

New Stones album packs a punch

By DARRYL STERDAN - Winnipeg Sun

Rolling Stones
A Bigger Bang
(Virgin Records)

If we've heard it once, we've heard it as often as Satisfaction. The buzz surrounding the new Rolling Stones album A Bigger Bang -- their first studio disc since 1997's Bridges to Babylon -- is that it's (all together now) Their Best Album Since the '70s.

Of course, if you recall, they said that about Bridges to Babylon too. And Voodoo Lounge. And pretty much every other album they've made since the '70s.

But this time, there may be a little something to it. No, A Bigger Bang -- in stores Tuesday -- is not going to make you chuck your copies of Some Girls, Black and Blue and Exile on Main St. But it invites comparison with those classics a little more easily than anything the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band has done in years.

Maybe it's because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards finally buried the hatchet and started writing songs together again. Maybe it's that Jagger's expletive-laced lyrics make them seem younger. Maybe it's the no-frills, live-sounding production of Don Was and The Glimmer Twins. Or maybe it's just because after putting out so many clunkers over the years, they were due for a break.

Whatever. All we know is that the 16-track A Bigger Bang packs a pretty big bang for your buck. Here's a track-by-track review:

1. Rough Justice (3:13)

Fittingly -- and as usual -- the Stones kick things off with the proverbial bang, hitting the ground running with this gritty rocker laced with distorted guitars, topped with slide licks and anchored by one of Charlie Watts' trademark four-on-the-floor beats.

Best Line: "Once upon a time I was your little rooster / But now I'm just one of your cocks."

Sounds A Little Like: Happy with a touch of You Got Me Rocking.

2. Let Me Down Slow (4:16)

Also as usual, The Stones stumble almost as soon as they get out of the gate. With strummy guitars, whiny vocals and lyrics that seem tossed-off, this country-rocker is one of the disc's weaker songs -- though the chiming solo is a gem.

Sounds A Little Like: It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (at least at first) with a dash of Dead Flowers.

3. It Won't Take Long (3:54)

Keith supplies the chunky growling riff, Charlie pounds out the rolling midtempo beat, and Mick belts out yet another forgettable song about leaving a lover behind.

Sounds A Little Like: Brown Sugar cut with molasses.

4. Rain Fall Down (4:53)

The album's first truly danceable cut bounces along to a bass-heavy beat that deftly toes the line between reggae and disco. Too bad Jagger's refrain about making "sweet love" conjures up visions of South Park's Chef.

Best Line: "The bankers are wankers every Thursday night / They just vomit on the ground."

Sounds A Little Like: A cocktail of Miss You, Hey Negrita and Emotional Rescue.

5. Streets of Love (5:10)

A hushed intro builds into a fully landscaped chorus complete with strings on the disc's first ballad.

Sounds A Little Like: Memory Motel renovated.

6. Back of My Hand (3:32)

The requisite blues track, complete with stompy bass drum, spiky John Lee Hookerish licks, twangy slide guitar and Jagger honking on harmonica.

Best Line: "I see Goyas / And paranoias."

Sounds A Little Like: A medley of You Gotta Move, Love in Vain and Midnight Rambler.

7. She Saw Me Coming (3:12)

Jagger gets caught in flagrante delicto to a hip-swivelling groove with reggae overtones and a funky bassline -- as Charlie whacks the holy hell out of that Chinese cymbal he loves so much.

Best Line: "She busted in and burglarised my soul / But now the bad news / She's out on parole."

Sounds A Little Like: Hot Stuff.

8. Biggest Mistake (4:06)

Your garden variety Stones rock ballad with a strummy, hazy vibe.

Best Line: "I never go out / I'm becoming a grouch / I just watch the TV and drink on the couch."

Sounds A Little Like: A leftover from Jagger's Alfie soundtrack from last year.

9. This Place is Empty (3:16)

There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who love Keith's ragged, rusty-pipe balladry and those who don't. If you're in the second group, you're wrong.

Sounds A Little Like: Losing My Touch.

10. Oh No, Not You Again (3:46)

The band catch their second wind with this propulsive, thumping rocker that harkens back to the Some Girls days.

Best Line: "Everybody's talking, showing off their wit / The moon is yellow, I'm like Jell-O / Staring down your t--."

Sounds A Little Like: A laid-back combo of Respectable, When the Whip Comes Down and Hang Fire.

11. Dangerous Beauty (3:48)

An ominously rumbling bassline, a tensely paced groove and Keef and Ronnie Wood's twin slashing guitars imbue this number with an air of menace that suits the title.

Best Line: "Was it funny on the midnight shift / I bet you had your share of stiffs."

Sounds A Little Like: An outtake from Dirty Work.

12. Laugh, I Nearly Died (4:53)

Jagger unleashes the falsetto and doles out the vibrato on this soulfully supple ballad. Keith and Ronnie paint around him with shimmering, luminous chords while Charlie massages the tom-toms like thunder on the horizon.

Sounds A Little Like: Fool to Cry on steroids.

13. Sweet Neo Con (4:33)

AKA The Song Least Likely to be Uploaded to Dubya's iPod. Built on a deliberately paced, underfurnished funk-rock groove accented with harmonica and jingly guitar notes, the music takes a backseat to Mick's Bush-bash lyrics.

Best Line: "It's liberty for all, democracy's our style / Unless you are against us / Then it's prison without trial."

Sounds A Little Like: Love is Strong.

14. Look What the Cat Dragged In (3:57)

Another bouncy rump-shaker, decorated with spiky disco guitar riffs, noodly asides and a thumping beat.

Best Line: "You look like a leper / Dressed as Sergeant Pepper / Are you gonna throw up in my face?"

Sounds A Little Like: Undercover of the Night gene-spliced with INXS's The Devil Inside.

15. Driving Too Fast (3:56)

A fairly standard Stones rocker with a suitably driving beat, some revving guitars and a bunch of highway-as-life metaphors.

Sounds A Little Like: A punched-up revamp of Iggy Pop's Corruption.

16. Infamy (3:48)

The mandatory closer from Keef boasts a shambling gait, a phased guitar and some harmonica honking from Mick.

Best Line: "You're living in a nightmare baby / and I mistook it for a dream."

Sounds A Little Like: An outtake from one of Keith's solo albums.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
September 1st, 2005 09:21 AM
Jumacfly this Darryl Sterdan is a funny guy, I like his review!
September 1st, 2005 09:54 AM
Gazza >Sounds A Little Like: Undercover of the Night gene-spliced with INXS's The Devil Inside.

I think I said that first!!! (or elese, someone else on here did) LOL

Funny how his pick of 'best line' from ONNYA is in some people's eyes (ie, mine) the worst line in any Stones song in living memory...
September 1st, 2005 09:57 AM
gimmekeef Just spent 2 days in my car driving.Played the whole thing 5-6 times right through.Amazing in so many ways.Fave so far is Driving Too Fast..(and I was!!!!)What I find so great is teh varied opinions here about different cuts.Laugh for instance.Many love it while it hasnt hit me that way yet.The true test will be how these tunes sound live as they roll out through the tour.Then we'll know!...Its early but at this point I'm putting ABB well above VL/BTB and Tattoo You as well...Believe me I like this so much Some Girls is within sight!
September 1st, 2005 10:11 AM
IanBillen
I haven't heard it in it's proper sequence yet so I am trying to get that right.
Regardless the album is so hard-hitting and upfront. It is definately in your face. It is supposed to be played LOUD and can't be a background album.
B2B could be played in the background. this one is all up the volume album I know this much.

Direct and bare bones. I think, from what I hear this puppy surely nails it.
It is an album you like right away. But all I keep hearing is it gets even better as it ages. In all honesty from what I am getting we haven't even really had time to get the full effect from this album yet. It just keeps giving.

Ian
September 1st, 2005 10:41 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Funny how his pick of 'best line' from ONNYA is in some people's eyes (ie, mine) the worst line in any Stones song in living memory...

The difference between hearing the studio version and hearing the press conference version - That line flashes by in a blur of comedy on the studio version because it's played at a proper tempo. I doubt you'd have any trouble with it at all if you didn't have that press conference version as an introduction. The lyrics sit like dead ducks at that tempo, though.

Really, though, it's not as pukeworthy as the lingered over "We'd been living together for over a year/The harmony's perfect and rang loud and clear" line that almost sinks Biggest Mistake before it gets a chance to get going.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)