ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at home, Richmond August 1976
© 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: that's how strong - gimme visuals!! Return to archive
08-29-03 08:29 PM
wkoetke Hey all:

So I'm sitting here on my Nth beer (where n will remain unknown), listening to a boot of Roseland. Obviously a great setlist, just from reading it. But I just noticed how NUTS the crowd is going during That's How Strong My Love Is, where they didn't seem as nuts during the previous or subsequent several songs.

For those who were there, or have seen this number at other shows, what was it like? I can only imagine what Mick was doing - must've been like a mini-excerpt of Rambler or something, b/c everyone sounded ecstatic. I was just jumping up and down in my living room listening to it, just from the crowd excitement!!!

Fill me in. I want details. Hopefully this will be on the DVD set coming out this year. Saint Sway/Saint George, I hate you for being at the Roseland show (though delighted I was able to attend Giants and MSG).

-Walt
08-29-03 08:46 PM
Angiegirl Well Walt, let me try to paint you my mental picture of THSMLI as I've seen it at Olympia and Vredenburg.

It's hard, hmmm, let's see.

Mick is moving around like a caged tiger on the small stage. His eyes move very rapidly from left to right, checking the audience. His body is tense from concentration. His face has a very focused look in the beginning, because it's not a very easy song to sing with all the changing notes, and very high notes as well. He's amazing, he manages to produce the high notes with volume. That's when he seeks the interaction with the crowd.
I personally experienced that my heart started beating faster, I felt my cheeks warm up, my ears burning, the adrenaline rushing through my body, making my legs somewhat weak. My eyes almost popped out, watching Jagger and singing along. Yelling, screeming, waving our arms in the air. It's a very rare feeling, the feeling of sharing an unique moment, doing something together, acknowledging each other. Don't know how to describe everything exactly.

He is sweating, his face turns red, he shakes his head, his big lips tremble, his arms and legs shoot out in all directions, he jumps, he almost crawls, he gives it all to us. He is one big chunk of energy and passion. You have to remind yourself to keep breathing. He goes on and on, he never wants to stop. In Olympia I even was afraid for his heart at one point, that's how far he goes. You don't have any attention for the rest of the band, you have to focus on Jagger, there's no other way. He is the man, he can play with us and we all eat out of his hand, we'll do anything he wants us to do, we're brainwashed, our will power has vanished, we are out of control, but still under his control, he is the most professional and very best front man that ever existed.

When Mick starts the chorus, he is standing before the crowd, at the edge of the stage, he bends over a bit, throws his arm in the air, looks at the crowd intensely, sees that they are focussing on him, visibly feels the anticipation and interaction and the energy jumping from him to us and vice versa, and knows we are ready for the chorus. The looks of expectancy build on the faces and there we all go: "That's how STRONG my love is, that's how strong my love is!" and we all mean it from the bottom of our hearts...

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-30-03 06:36 AM
Monkey Woman That's a wonderful description, Angie! I was fortunate enough to see THSMLI at the Olympia and the Astoria, and each time it was heartstopping. When Mick reaches to the audience, arm extended, face intense, and sings the chorus in a hushed voice, I had tears in my eyes. Oh, please, give us that one on the DVD set!!!
08-30-03 10:54 AM
Angiegirl Thanx Monkey Woman. I have to see it on DVD too, but I guess it will never be the same as seeing it live.