ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Relaxing at home, Richmond August 1976
© 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Astoria review Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-28-03 02:19 PM
telecaster
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I agree with Nelly. The term "great" is too casually used in the USA for it to actually MEAN anything.

How was that latte?

It was GREAT!

Boy it feels GREAT to piss this 6 pack outta my bladder!

Eat Frosted Flakes..they're Grrrrrrrrrreat!

Was it good for you?

No, it was GREAT!

See where I'm going with this?

Ted Williams was a great ball player. Wayne Gretzky was a great hockey player. Dr. J was a basketball great. Alexander the Great was a great conquerer. Jimi Hendrix was a great guitar player.

Mick Taylor is quite good. He is NOT great.

You know what else is great....when people lose a bet, and then actually pay up. THAT is great.

that was a great post SS
08-28-03 02:32 PM
jb Today is a very sad day indeed. To learn that the great Mick taylor was sitting in the audience and was not given the respect to even join the Stones for one song is appalling. Mick and keith treat this man, who played on the greatest albums in rock history, like a virtual leper. Everyone wanted it to happen....their last few dates, on possibly their last major tour, in their native land. It is sad how out of touch Mick and Co, are with their core fan base. I thought it could get no worse after the Justin Timbelake humiliation, or the embarrassing remix of SFTD, or Goddess in the doorway for that matter, but as usual, the Stones seemingly top themselves everytime in disappointing their fans. They is no reason why this should not have happened....it's been almost 28 years since MT left the band....you would think by now they could play 1 5 minute song and give us all a little pleasure-but noooooooo!!! I love and adore the Stones-they were, are, and shall always be the greatest, but I have lost a lot of respect for them this tour.
P.S.-I inadvertantly omitted Telecaster from my list of friends and have amended same....You have been a pleasure to "talk" to this past year and I enjoy your posts even though we disagree on MT and Clinton...LOL
08-28-03 02:43 PM
StonesChick I agree with you, Hand of Fate. If I was there, I wouldn't have had anything to complain about.

As far as MT goes, he put out some of my favorite music while he was with the band, but he hasn't been a Stone in a very long time. Ron Wood is great, a real Stone, Taylor probably wouldn't be that great now anyway. I think it's kind of a nostalgia thing with him, and if he played with the Stones today one might be disappointed.

So, if you have a source, anymore theater shows?
08-28-03 02:46 PM
Joey

Whoops , I forgot to add " Keith Moon " to my list of " GREATS " .

According to the latest CNN / FOX Poll , Keith Moon is still ranked No. # 1 on every teenagers " Most Admired Persons " list ( Has been for thirty five years now ) .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ. KINS !
08-28-03 03:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot >if you played guitar on sticky fingers and exile on main street you are a GREAT GUITAR PLAYER.<

Then using that logic, every ball player on the 1980 Phillies team, or the 1927 Yankees must be great.

Wrong.

Del Unser and Greg Gross were good, but not great. Ron Reed and Dick Ruthven were good pitchers, but not great.

A band is very much like a sports team...to get results all must function together as a team, hence the comparison with a ball team. Mick Taylor was 1/5th of the reason Exile & Sticky were great albums. It was not he alone who made those albums great. Just because the end results are great, does not mean that the individual components are great.
08-28-03 03:30 PM
telecaster P.S.-I inadvertantly omitted Telecaster from my list of friends and have amended same....You have been a pleasure to "talk" to this past year and I enjoy your posts even though we disagree on MT and Clinton...LOL
[/quote]

Thanks jb, my pride is now unwounded. You made my day

I like MT, he was my fav of all time at one point.
I get mad at people who blow golden opportunities.
Like a lottery winner who is broke in 2 yrs.

I also like Clinton, as social chairman of my fraternity that is. LOL
08-28-03 03:33 PM
Joey " I also like Clinton, as social chairman of my fraternity that is. LOL "

His wife is running for President --- a lot sooner than you think .

" Can you say , Puss Puss Ronnie ????? "

Jacky Etheridge !
08-28-03 03:34 PM
beer They could have recorded Sticky and Exile without billy wyman, and those two albums would still be as excellent as they are. If Taylor hadn't played on them, they wouldn't be as great as they are.
08-28-03 03:38 PM
telecaster
quote:
Joey wrote:
" I also like Clinton, as social chairman of my fraternity that is. LOL "

His wife is running for President --- a lot sooner than you think .

" Can you say , Puss Puss Ronnie ????? "

Jacky Etheridge !

joey what time does the recycle truck come down my street?
It is overflowing with beer cans and vodka bottles and is highly embarrassing as the neighbors are walking by my house pointing.
08-28-03 03:51 PM
Joey " joey what time does the recycle truck come down my street?
It is overflowing with beer cans and vodka bottles and is highly embarrassing as the neighbors are walking by my house pointing. "

10:30 AM Friday Mornings .

SKEE !

08-28-03 04:11 PM
Mother baby
quote:
telecaster wrote:
jb please keep in mind MT quit The Stones on the eve of a huge tour. Thankfully, the Stones recovered from this act
of cowardace and went on to play on of the greatest tours in rock history

Cowardice? for refusing to be cowered? If Mick & Keith didn't fuck some people so badly, maybe they wouldn't "quit". But then again that's one of the attractions of the "Stones" (i.e. Mick and Keith). I mean I like em as heros but they must be real assholes to "work" for. Brian, Stu, MT and even Woody get fucked. Mick and Keith are REAL assholes sometimes.(but not ALL the time lol)

[Edited by Mother baby]
08-28-03 04:50 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
macawber wrote:
i don't a thing about these fucking baseball players you guys are talking about but i do know about rock and roll.
if you played guitar on sticky fingers and exile on main street you are a GREAT GUITAR PLAYER.
not good,not o.k., but i-played-on-the-best-rock-albums-ever-GREAT.

Does that make Mick Jagger a great guitar player?
08-28-03 04:55 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Oh bullshit. Cowardice? for refusing to be cowered? If Mick & Keith didn't fuck some people so badly, maybe they wouldn't "quit". But then again that's one of the attractions of the "Stones" (i.e. Mick and Keith). I mean I like em as heros but they must be real assholes to "work" for. Brian, Stu, MT and even Woody get fucked. Mick and Keith are REAL assholes sometimes.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. I love the Stones, and I'm a huge Keef fan. But it's the truth. Taylor got fucked out of royalties and credits, so did Bill & Woody. JJF started out as a Wyman piano thing, Hey Negrita and IORR were at least partly written by Woody-and all he got was "inspiration by". Christ. Taylor was no coward, he just got sick of the bullshit. But everyone comes down on him like he's the bad guy. Shit...
08-28-03 04:57 PM
telecaster
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Oh bullshit. Cowardice? for refusing to be cowered? If Mick & Keith didn't fuck some people so badly, maybe they wouldn't "quit". But then again that's one of the attractions of the "Stones" (i.e. Mick and Keith). I mean I like em as heros but they must be real assholes to "work" for. Brian, Stu, MT and even Woody get fucked. Mick and Keith are REAL assholes sometimes.

None of them, not one would have a job like that if it wasn't for Mick, Keith & Charlie. MT quit. Period.
Then sued. He is lucky they let him mouch a free hotel room off them

Mick and Keith have run the most successful rock gig in history. I think they know what they are doing

If Stu, Woody, and all the people that keep coming back to work on the tours get fucked so bad why do they keep coming back?

08-28-03 05:20 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
telecaster wrote:

None of them, not one would have a job like that if it wasn't for Mick, Keith & Charlie. MT quit. Period.
Then sued. He is lucky they let him mouch a free hotel room off them

Mick and Keith have run the most successful rock gig in history. I think they know what they are doing

If Stu, Woody, and all the people that keep coming back to work on the tours get fucked so bad why do they keep coming back?

Welllll...let's see. Bill quit too, Stu passed away, and Woody doesn't have any other place to go. I like his solo cd's, but they're not strong enough to carry him financially. You're right- Keith and Mick DO know what they're doing. And to who. I'm certainly not questioning their success, that's for sure! But this is a different subject. And belittling Taylor is ridiculous. He made his own bed, can't everyone just leave it at that?
08-28-03 05:33 PM
Mother baby
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Well the first statement is certainly true. But whether they actually know what they're doing or not is still an open question.

08-28-03 06:05 PM
throbby Mathijs, was it Chuck's response that pissed Mick off or was it the playing of the band? Could you tell?
08-28-03 07:25 PM
Miss U.
quote:
KeithRichards210 wrote:

Welllll...let's see. Bill quit too, Stu passed away, and Woody doesn't have any other place to go. I like his solo cd's, but they're not strong enough to carry him financially. And belittling Taylor is ridiculous.

Some good points.
I think MT was going to play Astoria, and likely KR told him no at the last minute.
No surprise to anyone that Taylor didn't get credit is it? Lots worse has been written about the stones, why would they get bent outta shape over that. Also heard somewhere that Taylor cancelled the rehearsal. Who knows what happened.
08-28-03 08:24 PM
shakedhandswithkeith
Mathijs, by all respect, come down to earth

I saw yesterday a real great show, with great songs in a great place.

as already posted on rocksoff, here a few minutes live video of the show

it`s only rock`n roll, do you forget it?

http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=74766/contentid=397566/sc=ee632f

08-28-03 09:32 PM
Mother baby
quote:
lonecrapshooter wrote:
The Yankees are "Great". The Red Sox are not, .....

Ouch.
08-28-03 11:41 PM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You know what else is great....when people lose a bet, and then actually pay up. THAT is great.

...did I miss something?
08-29-03 01:06 AM
Madafaka Yeap yeap! We wanna know! What's the bet?
08-29-03 07:39 AM
Zeeta Mick Taylor got nervous like he does before shows and couldn't handle the pressure and walked out! Poor really. But he has done this before and Woody replaced him at a non stones gig
08-29-03 02:31 PM
Miss U. That's a load of bull.
08-29-03 02:42 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Mick Taylor got nervous like he does before shows and couldn't handle the pressure and walked out! Poor really. But he has done this before and Woody replaced him at a non stones gig

Which is like replacing filet mignon with ground road kill...
08-29-03 02:46 PM
jb That was a nice video feed....sounded O.K.-but do you think Bernard and Lisa's vocals on JJF are kinda outta place?
08-29-03 02:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot >...did I miss something?<

No, same ol' story.

Still waiting for a certain Patsy fan to pay up for the bet we made on pro football....LAST season. Considering pre-season is now over, and the new season is about to start...I think I've been fairly patient...no?
08-29-03 03:12 PM
Mother baby Yeah "football" !!!!!
JB I seem to recall you are a Dolphins fan. Maybe you should consider entering into the winners circle this season with us Super Bowl hero NE Patriots.
08-29-03 03:19 PM
jb They looked reasonably good last night against the Saints. But I fear yet another 9-7 season...we have been stuck in mediocrity for the past 20 years......on the other hand, the Canes look awesome as usual and I think we will make another unprecended run for the title....what a dynasty UM football has become.
08-29-03 03:24 PM
Mother baby
quote:
jb wrote:
..the Canes look awesome as usual and I think we will make another unprecended run for the title....what a dynasty UM football has become.

Well I'll give ya that!

(I think we've gone off-topic)
[Edited by Mother baby]
Page: 1 2 3