ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

FleetCenter, Boston - September 3, 2002
AP Photo/Winslow Townson
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lionel Hampton dies Return to archive
08-31-02 06:49 AM
blindedbyrainbows Just saw the news report about Jazz great Lionel Hampton dying this morning, he was 94. He will be missed! I'm sure Charlie will be hit hard today.
08-31-02 08:05 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I can guess what the boys'll be playing today...

-tSYX --- My son was lost but now he is found...
09-01-02 01:03 AM
Soul Survivor I've seen lots of clips of him on the Tele today. It says he was known for his uniqe percssion style. I bet Chaz won't care that much.....not to sound like a jerk or anything, but why would he
09-01-02 01:08 AM
stonedinaustralia because "chaz" is a bit of a hard core jazz nut...that's why

keep pumping it out soulie...i wonder what the record is for the most number of posts in 24 hours?

whatever it is if you haven't already broken it you're well on your way

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
09-01-02 01:26 AM
Nasty Habits from the Charlie Watts fan club

http://www.charliewattsfanclub.com/a_thecalm.html

CWFC: Could you have been happy in another profession?

WATTS: Well, I wouldn't know Mick and Keith, or Ronnie Wood, would I ? I was happy in another profession. When I was in a studio, I was perfectly happy there, but I always wanted to be a drummer. I always wanted to play with Charlie Parker. When I was 13 I wanted to do that.

CWFC: Did you ever see him?

WATTS: No. He wasn't allowed to play in England, because of the musicians union. No Americans were playing there between '31, something like that, and '53. The last Arnerican officially billed on a tour in England was someone like Fats Wailer. Duke Ellington did one before in 1931, and then it was Fats Wailer. And then the first one to come over officially and play was Big Bill Broonzy. And then Lionel Hampton played a midnight concert. They got around it by slotting the thing at midnight, and he tore the place up. I didn't go, though - I wasn't a Lionel Hampton fan at that time, but I wish I had gone. A legendary concert now. In London. At that time Lionel Hampton was absolutely - he still is, actually - fantastic. But he was on top then.

Unquote.

The way Hampton swings vibes is very similar to Charlie's drumming - always not quite where you expect, but totally swinging the beat. His 40s stuff, which incorporates swing, jump blues, bop, and etc. is the kind of uncatergorizable stew that would eventually morph into rock and roll. And Hamp played forEVER, long after everyone had written him off as a has been from the past, wowing audiences and surprising critics. Whether or not Charlie will be busted up, I would imagine he'll have even more stoic quiet reflective moments than usual when he hears the news.

"All I want is a lavender coffin with white gardenias all around/swing band playing with heavenly choir as they roll me into the holy ground."

Lionel Hampton - "Lavender Coffin"

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road