ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

FleetCenter, Boston - September 3, 2002
AP Photo/Winslow Townson
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Metamorphosis Return to archive
08-29-02 05:39 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well, I got it - Its overall effect is that of "Oh, this song is *almost* good enough for this or that album".

What's its deal? I know it was released 1975, sort of a crazy outtakes thing for the Stones, and the sound quality was none too good. How much of it is real Stones stuff and how much of it is Andrew Oldham saying "Fire *me* as their producer, will they?". For example - the new versions of "Out Of Time" and "Heart Of Stone": I don't think the Stones had anything to do with them. Am I right? A lot of the songs sound 'unfinished', but only a few sound really 'bad'. Even "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" is a funny kind of artifact from the Between The Buttons days. And I like "Memo From Turner" and "I'm Going Down", and even Bill's very rough "Downtown Suzie".

-tSYX --- And it's- hawwwwwd, babe...
08-29-02 05:47 PM
jbs What era/year did each song come from?
08-29-02 05:48 PM
Honky Tonk Man Jimmy Page does the solo on "Heart Of Stone" and John Paul Jones plays bass on a few numbers too i think.

Alex
08-29-02 07:51 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy jbs... dear god, there's more of them!

The problem, I guess, and the reason the album didn't do well, is that a few too many are outcasts from Between The Buttons, when they tried shamelessly to chase That Other British Band. The ones like "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys", "Sleepy City" and "Try A Little Harder" stretch the definition of tolerable. A few ones in between Aftermath and Buttons like "If You Let Me" and "Don't Lie To Me". But there are some great outcasts like "I Don't Know Why", the Stones's version of "Memo From Turner", "I'm Going Down", "Family", and a surprisingly not terrible Bill Wyman song, "Downtown Suzie". There are even a few Banquet-eers, "I'm Going Down" and "Jiving Sister Fanny" being the most obvious examples.

Very interesting. But again - those re-orchestrations - Were they done when the Stones were the Stones or at the behest of the once monsterous and now almost forgiven Allen Klein and his rejected manic-depressive Andrew Oldham?

-tSYX --- Jivin', jivin'...
08-30-02 10:50 AM
corgi37 I bought the vinyl lp eons ago, and have always liked it. Well, side 2 anyway. I'm going down is one of the hottest tracks they have recorded. The riff is just so wild. "Dont know why i love you (but i do)" is a Stevie WOnder song isnt it? Some of the tracks on side 2 must of been done for the let it bleed sessions, as the seperation of the channels sounds more advanced the beggars banquet. My attitude to this album is positive, because it at least beats the shit out of seeing ANOTHER greatest hits with Hot Stuff on it. At least its a bit different, sort of like the Who's "Odds and Sods", which has some gems on it too. I'd much prefer Bill Wyman to be given the keys to vaults to bring out some sort of similar cd for this tour. 5 years between fresh music is unforgivable with so much unreleased gems lying around.
08-30-02 12:04 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah, "I Don't Know Why", according to Keno, was being recorded when they got the call that Brian had died. And yeah, it's Stevie Wonder - I don't know if that's been fixed in the notes, I'd better check...

Great song that one, Mick doing the howl. Lots of good stuff in here buried Between The Buttons.

-tSYX --- I don't mind, I know you're right, I know, you're going down...
08-30-02 04:26 PM
T&A Bill Wyman was compiling the Black Box set for release in the mid-70's. It was rejected by Klein who put out the much inferior Metamorphosis in an apparent attempt to screw the Stones. The Black Box later surfaced in bootleg circles (or at least a variation on the concept that Wyman was working on).
08-30-02 08:31 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
The ones like "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys"...stretch the definition of tolerable.

i can't agree with you there Xyzzy - i think it's a unique item in the catalouge - as i'm sure you've noticed it's credited to richards/oldham - i'd love an insight into the circumstances and the contributions made

in a way it's classic stones being deliberately "bad", "wrong" and anti-social- while it sounds all '60's brit pop (which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing) the lyrics turn the whole pop romance thing on it's head

"i'd much rather be with the boys and the boys they would much rather be with boys than with girls like you" - i mean, it's all a bit "clockwork orange"
08-30-02 08:49 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well... alright, "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" passes. But "Sleepy City" does not.

-tSYX --- Take my arm! Take my leg!
08-30-02 09:06 PM
beer Jivin Sister Fanny rules!!!!!! Mushmouth Jagger.
Side two is cool. side one is kinda awful.

-
08-30-02 10:15 PM
sonicrock to it s great jiving,don t lie to me i m goin down family just to name a few, some of the song aka out of time, the backin tracks has been used for other singers,the same with each and every day of the yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrr,great stuff and only cover with 6 stones.
08-30-02 11:12 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i can't agree with you there Xyzzy - i think it's a unique item in the catalouge - as i'm sure you've noticed it's credited to richards/oldham - i'd love an insight into the circumstances and the contributions made

in a way it's classic stones being deliberately "bad", "wrong" and anti-social- while it sounds all '60's brit pop (which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing) the lyrics turn the whole pop romance thing on it's head

"i'd much rather be with the boys and the boys they would much rather be with boys than with girls like you" - i mean, it's all a bit "clockwork orange"

....That's more than likely, because at the time that was being recorded 'A Clockwork Orange' was supposedly influencing Oldham,Jagger&Richards.....Apparently, Jagger was at one time considered for the role of Alex. I wonder?
08-30-02 11:22 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Oldham loved that book - his middle name is a takeoff of "droog", apparently.

-tSYX --- ultra-violence!
08-30-02 11:28 PM
gypsymofo60 I love that book!.....And I'd've loved to have seen Jagger have a go at being Alex. He may have had a more successful acting career had he got that role.
08-31-02 07:11 AM
Stonesprofessor Actually,strangely enough, Andrews middle name IS Loog- Oldham is his mother's name...apparently his father was a Dutch pilot/soldier named Loog who got killed in WWII. If you can find his book in a library near you,it explains the whole story
08-31-02 08:00 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Stonesprofessor wrote:
Actually,strangely enough, Andrews middle name IS Loog- Oldham is his mother's name...apparently his father was a Dutch pilot/soldier named Loog who got killed in WWII. If you can find his book in a library near you,it explains the whole story

Hah!

I guess I absorbed another "Old Gods Almost Dead"-ism - which could well have been written by Andrew in his heyday, such is the tabloidic nature of the book.

Well-written, though - it's a ripping good yarn even if not a lot of it's true.

-tSYX --- Tearing up their pensions and shouting 'It's not fair!'
09-01-02 01:04 AM
Soul Survivor I'm debatins as to weather I should buy this. I have it on vinyl and don;t care for it (as I have all the songs on various boots), so why I would I like it on disc......remastered or not

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road