ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review of "ABB" in "Uncut" Return to archive
August 30th, 2005 12:02 PM
Gazza No doubt Allan Jones' lengthy piece will be available online in due course , but

FIVE FUCKING STARS, YOU BASTARDS!!

ALBUM OF THE MONTH !!

First time in my life that I can remember a review like that in the usually cynical British music press about a new Stones album...

A short sample :

On the nasty "Dangerous Beauty", (Keith) plays with an inspred brutality I dont think I've heard since Neil Young plugged in for the 'El Dorado' sessions, a series of bucking howls, astonishingly loud. His solo on "Driving Too Fast", meanwhile, is like being torn apart by gunfire.

The real revelation here, however, is the oft-derided Jagger...for the first time probably since "Some Girls", (he) seems to have turned up for work with more than a series of blues cliches and a rhyming dictionary with half the pages torn out. There are some outstanding songs here, and Jagger turns in a series of performances that are their match, full of much defiant flouncing, strutting bitchiness, preening arrogance, snarling haughtiness and a typically provocative misogyny.

[Edited by Gazza]
August 30th, 2005 12:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:

On the nasty "Dangerous Beauty", (Keith) plays with an inspred brutality I dont think I've heard since Neil Young plugged in for the 'El Dorado' sessions, a series of bucking howls, astonishingly loud.

The phrase "wicked pissa" comes to mind...
August 30th, 2005 12:06 PM
Some Guy That's hot
August 30th, 2005 12:08 PM
Jumacfly thanks Gazza, same here with Rock n folk: five stars!!
For first time in ages French and Brit agree on something!!
August 30th, 2005 12:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
That's hot

But not surprising. Can't wait to buy it.
August 30th, 2005 12:22 PM
JumpingKentFlash No big surprise. Uncut is the coolest music mag anyway.
August 30th, 2005 12:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot Uh-oh.

Critics are liking it.

This is a bad omen.

I usually like stuff that the critics hate, and hate stuff the critics like. Especially with Uncut and Mojo.

I have refrained from downloading the album. I don't want to spoil the day of release. The trip to the CD store, the ritual of buying and unwrapping, the cranking of the stereo, the reading of the liner notes, following each song with the lyric sheet, the replay, the re-replay, the dancing and air guitar.

I look forward to the artifact of the CD. Call me download resistant. Has anyone heard of a vinyl release? I'd like a copy on vinyl too....
August 30th, 2005 12:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
No big surprise. Uncut is the coolest music mag anyway.

Never seen it. I've known about it but I just don't read music magazines anymore. Is it British? OK I guess it is.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
August 30th, 2005 12:33 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I look forward to the artifact of the CD. Call me download resistant. Has anyone heard of a vinyl release? I'd like a copy on vinyl too....

You can pre-order the LP for $15:

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=7583&band%5Fid=1073&sfid=2

I've ordered the 7" single of Streets/Rough Justice. I still listen to vinyl regularly. I'm like you, I love all the hipe that goes with the official release date.
August 30th, 2005 12:34 PM
JumpingKentFlash I don't really know if it's British. I think it is.
August 30th, 2005 12:36 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Uh-oh.

Critics are liking it.

This is a bad omen.

I usually like stuff that the critics hate, and hate stuff the critics like. Especially with Uncut and Mojo.

I have refrained from downloading the album. I don't want to spoil the day of release. The trip to the CD store, the ritual of buying and unwrapping, the cranking of the stereo, the reading of the liner notes, following each song with the lyric sheet, the replay, the re-replay, the dancing and air guitar.

The fucking vinyl comes out a week late, SS, which means I'll have to go from shitty mp3's to good mp3's to a CD and thence FINALLY to the format I want to listen to.

I tried to avoid downloading but those links were just about as irresistable as a sexy horny drunk lady. I had to put the magic finger on 'em.

I wouldn't worry about the critics too much. You'll get your kicks. Wait'll you hear the last 20 seconds of Oh No Not You Again.

August 30th, 2005 01:22 PM
Angiegirl In Holland one site says Sep. 5 for the 2LP (24,95 euro).
August 30th, 2005 02:11 PM
glencar I pre-ordered the vinyl album from rs.com. It comes with the Bigger Bang T-shirt for $40 before a small fortune spent on shipping & handling. Greedy bastids!
August 30th, 2005 02:26 PM
Sir Stonesalot No shit Nasty...a week later? That doesn't make much sense. But whatever.

You gonna stock the vinyl? I'd rather buy my copy from you than some faceless website. Lemme know.

I've heard 3 shitty mp3s...with Back Of My Hand being the highlight. As soon as I heard BOMH, I quit downloading. That got the juices flowing.

The anticipation is delicious. By Sept 5th I will be whipped into a Stonesian lather....even though I'm trying to not get my hopes too high. It's futile.
August 30th, 2005 03:58 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

ALBUM OF THE MONTH !!

First time in my life that I can remember a review like that in the usually cynical British music press about a new Stones album...

What will jb have to complain about, now ?
August 30th, 2005 04:01 PM
nankerphelge I'm with SS -- gotta wait -- the whole thing is a ritual of sorts.

But, based on what everyone is saying -- critics, new fans, and all y'all mutants like me -- they really delivered for the most part. Sure there are some clunkers, but overall this sounds like the real Stonesian deal.

I am happy to hear it.
Can't wait for next week!
August 31st, 2005 07:14 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

What will jb have to complain about, now ?

Plenty. Don't worry!
August 31st, 2005 07:23 AM
Poplar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Uh-oh.
Critics are liking it.
This is a bad omen.

Fuck that (this time). It rocks!

August 31st, 2005 01:26 PM
marko Also,The whole CD is now on
www.rollingstones.com

go only if u wanna spoil all the waiting.like i did.......
its been bloody 8 fucking mad long years.

Marc,iīll bet,its 2 air guitars on sept.30.

not to mention what happens day later!

canīt wait my stonesian buddies.

nanky where you on sept 30 or oct 1st?
August 31st, 2005 01:35 PM
Maxlugar [quote]nankerphelge wrote:
I'm with SS -- gotta wait -- the whole thing is a ritual of sorts.

Darn tootin' Nanks!

I sit on the floor and surround myself in a pentagram of lit candles and drink Yoohoo and Rum!

And you?

Mountain Macky!

August 31st, 2005 01:43 PM
egon 5 more days, 5 more f'ing days
August 31st, 2005 01:44 PM
glencar 6 over here.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)