ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Streets of Love video shot yesterday in Ottawa Return to archive
August 30th, 2005 08:07 AM
Jeep From the Ottawa Sun :

Scripting out the Stones
Earl McRae hits the Streets of Love with the music video's screenplay
By EARL MCRAE, Ottawa Sun
August 30, 2005

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/08/30/1193563-sun.html

THE FOUR-EYED Lippy Little Shin Kicker is in the crowd outside Zaphod Beeblebrox on York St. wondering when the Stones are arriving to shoot their video in the bar and on the barricades, and cops, and the hours pass and the Shin Kicker looks for clues.

The Shin Kicker's been over at the Westin Hotel where he planted himself in a chair in the lobby with his head drooped on his chest to make it look as if he was sleeping but behind his sunglasses his eyes were wide awake and darting all over the place on Stones Stakeout.

Now, a couple of doors west of Zaphod Beeblebrox, the Shin Kicker sees a small door and sign saying Angie's Talents and Talents Inc. and he says to himself, hey, wait, didn't the Stones record a song called Angie? Indeed, they did.

Angie, Angie, when will all the clouds disappear

Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?

Angie the Stones' song, Angie's the talent agency smack dab in video central -- can't be coincidence, so the Shin Kicker sneaks away, makes a phone call, one Angie Seymour answers, and the Shin Kicker asks if, by chance, she's hiding the Rolling Stones upstairs in her office, awaiting the video shoot?

LOCAL TALENT

"No," she laughs. And then the blockbuster: "But they're using seven of my clients in the video. Maxine Brown, Katerin Dovas, Jerome Xavier, Chafic Mrad, Rebecca Carly, Eade, and Andrew Rochon. Andrew is the male lead. He gets to fight Mick Jagger. I don't know whether, with the name of the song and our name, this is all coincidence or a higher spirit."

Angie Seymour lets drop that the filming of the video began around the city Sunday evening without the Stones, and went until 4:30 a.m. Monday with Maxine Brown's scene shot on Gladstone Ave. at around 2:30 a.m., Maxine a hooker in a phone booth getting harassed by a cop.

The Stones have never shot a video in Ottawa, the script is top secret, but the Shin Kicker unearthed a copy -- here, ladies and gentlemen, the transcript for Streets Of Love:

"We open on a cool hole-in-the-wall type bar filled with smoke and local people drinking away another night. The space has obviously seen better days, but the crowd is hip, but undeniably real world. These are not plastic models, but genuine faces with a certain edgy style and a slight retro edge.

"We soak up the atmosphere as we push through the haze to see ...

"The Rolling Stones on the intimate stage. They perform the first lines of the track as the hand-held camera catches stylish angles. Mick, Keith, Ron, and Charlie look iconic, but this is not a typical performance. It feels like we are truly in this down and dirty bar soaking up the performance.

"The Stones just seem to fit here ... Effortlessly cool and understated. Mick never sings right to the lens ...There are no 'music video' cliches ...These are grabbed moments of reality -- every wisp of smoke and bent guitar string filling the frame with charismatic attitude.

"We see people silhouetted against the smoky light or hanging out in one of the worn, vinyl booths -- vibing off the Stones. The vibe is effortless, authentic -- like we are voyeuristically watching the performance."

The scene shifts to a small city apartment, a young man staring at himself in a mirror over a bathroom sink, and the man seems "broken" as he runs his hands through his tousled hair and stubbled jowls.

"These moments feel surreal and oddly intense, capturing the emotional depths of the lyrics and the music itself ... like the early Scorsese short film The Shave every gesture and move seems infused with meaning, but we are not sure what it is ... we continue to cut back to the Stones in the small bar, inter-cutting the music with the young man in the apartment."

LONELY STREETS

The man leaves his apartment and is seen walking the lonely, dark, after-hours streets taken over by drug addicts and hookers and all-night workers and the mood is one of menace and he's filmed from the window of a parked taxi or the 'stoop of a darkened storefront.'

"Down a dimly lit alley, we see a sleazy couple kissing, but it does not seem sexy at all. Our guy passes, caught up in his loneliness ... other faces pass by in the darkness, headed home or still out looking for another after-hours adventure. These are the streets of love, but it is not a welcoming place."

He's seen peering with "dead eyes" in the window of the bar at the Stones, and the door opens, and someone lurches out and into him, and "a fist slams into our guy's cheek. As the guitar solo kicks in, we see our guy turn and start to run ... we catch his face as it bounces with every step, gasping for oxygen in the night air."

He ends up lying on the sidewalk "staring straight up at the sky ... his eyes stare past our lens as we see the rain starting to fall. The guy slowly stands up ..."

Once again, in the falling rain, he's at the bar, staring into the window at a girl who's watching the Stones. "We realize that she is who our lead was looking at last time he was here ... we catch the final performance moments from the Stones as we see the guy make eye contact with the girl. He mouths some unheard words (was it 'I'm sorry?').

"The last notes of the track drift away as we hold on the moment. The girl does not react and we are left wondering the resolution. The Stones hold the last note as we ... fade to black."

---------------------------------------------------

Cameras start Rolling
Young, hip locals picked for Streets of Love video
By ANN MARIE McQUEEN, Ottawa Sun
August 30, 2005

http://www.ottawasun.com/Showbiz/Music/2005/08/30/1193587-sun.html

ABOUT 100 local extras tapped to be in a Rolling Stones video -- yes, a Rolling Stones video -- shot at Byward Market club Zaphod Beeblebrox yesterday had very specific instructions about how to act around the group's four famous members.

"Don't take any f---ing pictures," an assistant director told the group. "Don't ask for autographs. Don't do anything like that. If they talk to you, talk to them like they're human."

The group, frisked by security before entering, were of the edgy, young, visually hip, indie rock crowd variety, not really the sort one would expect to fill a Rolling Stones show. But no one expected the Stones to shoot a video in Ottawa, either, and at the relatively tiny Zaphod's to boot.

Ken Korrall, executive director of the Ottawa-Gatineau Film and Television Corp., said he learned about the two-day Streets of Love shoot on Friday and helped to co-ordinate the massive operation over the weekend.

$500GS TO ECONOMY

Korrall said the decision to hold the shoot here was specific, and came from the top.

"This is Mick Jagger's personal demand. You shoot the video in Ottawa, over Toronto and Boston," he said.

There were almost 100 crew members on hand for the project yesterday, from Toronto's Circle Productions with personnel from Los Angeles and Toronto. Some 37 production vehicles lined both sides of York St., which was closed to traffic on the north side.

Korrall estimated the production would pump $500,000 into the local economy.

Casting scouts came to Zaphod's last Wednesday to check out the staff, ultimately choosing about 18 of them as extras.

"They asked us, 'Do you want to be in the video?' " said Garry Armitage, DJ Gaz from Wednesday night's Pop Scene.

"I said, 'Let me think.' "

Kelly Patacairk, 20, was tapped for an extra role as she walked through the Rideau Centre last week.

Mike Simon, a 23-year-old lighting designer, had just finished walking his dog when two people approached him with a Polaroid camera.

Both fully realized how coveted their "extra" job was.

"It's just hitting me," said Simon.

Staffers say Zaphod's owner Eugene Haslam, who is away on vacation, doesn't yet know about the monumental shoot.

"I can't wait for him to find out," said Armitage.

LEAKED LOCATION

The Stones managed to briefly divert attention from the market by leaking Parliament Hill as a location, but yesterday morning local radio stations were telling listeners where to go.

By noon, about 100 fans had gathered outside Zaphod's, some believing rumours the Stones would play a second Ottawa concert there and others just wanting another glimpse of their idols.

Amal Farhat, a 21-year-old Algonquin College student who went to Sunday night's show, was one of them.

"There's always a way," she said, before waiting more than four hours to see Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts roll up in separate vehicles in the late afternoon. "There's always a way."
[Edited by Jeep]
[Edited by Jeep]
August 30th, 2005 08:14 AM
Lazy Bones Isn't that something. The Ottawa market is a terrific market, too. Doesn't surprise me they had a tour through.

Thanks, Jeep...
August 30th, 2005 08:27 AM
Gazza whats the point in shooting a video (which probably wont be ready for a month or so) for a song that was released as a single last week??

August 30th, 2005 08:33 AM
egon
quote:
Gazza wrote:
for a song that was released as a single last week IN
ONLY 2 AND A HALF EUROPEAN COUNTRIES

August 30th, 2005 08:37 AM
gimmekeef Mick is gonna ram this tune just like he did with Anybody Seen My Baby....Watch out folks...Streets of Love ...coming to a setlist near you soon!!!!
August 30th, 2005 09:21 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Mick is gonna ram this tune just like he did with Anybody Seen My Baby....Watch out folks...Streets of Love ...coming to a setlist near you soon!!!!

I agree. I give it 2 weeks...
August 30th, 2005 10:03 AM
Monkeytonk-man Oh thats fucking genius that is, shooting a promo video for a song already released.

Not like it's gonna help it sell any more copies. Jagger must be losing his business acumen.
August 30th, 2005 11:53 AM
texile damn - i thought this song was going to be phased out.....
but why now?
August 30th, 2005 02:17 PM
glencar It'll take the place of BOMH.
August 30th, 2005 04:03 PM
Monkey Woman Note the name of the club? Zaphod Beeblebrox! H2G2 rocks!!!
August 30th, 2005 06:30 PM
taz22 It should be noted during Keith's set on Sunday night he apologized for the stones taking 40 years to come back and play Ottawa.....but that they would be back! I'm thinking that means another North American tour after the European leg is over.
August 30th, 2005 07:27 PM
Soldatti The Don't Stop video came out THREE months after the radio impact. I don't know what are they thinking.
August 31st, 2005 07:21 AM
Bitch It sounds like the video will be very cool. Who cares if the album comes out first - you know everyone will watch it as soon as it's released. And as far as STREETS OF LOVE goes, alot of people have dissed it, but that's the men's opinion. Women like the song, but not too many men can like a song that contain the lyrics "wedding march". The song is romantic and emotional, which is why us women love to hear MICK singing it.
August 31st, 2005 11:52 AM
texile
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Women like the song, but not too many men can like a song that contain the lyrics "wedding march". The song is romantic and emotional, which is why us women love to hear MICK singing it.

not this one - i don't hate it, i'm indifferent.....it just doesn't move me; it's got alot of words, i'll give you that - but it's passion, not word count - that gets me;
jagger revealed more with less when the words had resonance....these sound generic;
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)