ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Streets of Love and Rough Justice are DISAPPOINTING songs Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 28th, 2005 10:59 PM
jcdesq OK. How do two great songwriters like Mick and Keith create songs as lame as "Streets of Love" and "Rough Justice?" These guys wrote "Tumbling Dice!"

"Streets" has to be an outtake from "Goddess in the Doorway." The worst part of the song is that it lacks the stamp of the band. Anyone could be backing Mick on those cringe-worthy lyrics. It might as well be Joe Satriani and/or Jimmy Rip. I am interested to see if anyone likes this song, and if so, what exactly do they like about it? It is not a Stones song and I refuse to call it one. It ranks below "Anybody Seen My Baby" as the worst single in Stones history.

"Rough Justice" is basically a Stones-By-Numbers track that lacks the catchy melody of "Start Me Up," another Stones-By-Numbers tune. It has that post-1994 Don Was produced sound (which is loathsome), and the song goes nowhere! Just because the song is up-tempo and contains some of Keith's riffs, does not make a good song. It is on par with "Flip the Switch" in my opinion.

I have listened to many of the new songs, and juxtaposed them with Mick's solo album "Wandering Spirit." I am sorry to say that "Spirit" is much, much better. Probably the best thing put out by a Stone since "Some Girls."

Anyone share these views or want to defend these two songs and convey what they like about them? I really want to like the new Stones album, but when I listen to "Streets of Love" with my non-Stones fanatic friends, I am embarrassed.
August 28th, 2005 11:04 PM
T&A and no this guy is not a new alias for me.....
August 28th, 2005 11:09 PM
exile man.....your about 3 weeks late for this dicussion
August 28th, 2005 11:12 PM
Bloozehound those two songs are actually album filler

there's much better cuts on the album than than RJ and SOL
August 29th, 2005 12:18 AM
texile we spent about a week ripping sol to shreds but it IS worth repeating...and it IS therapeutic - but you'll undoubtably get a few devotees of the song popping in to scream blasphemy.....
i agree 100% - and yes, in my opinion, wandering spirit is better than ANYTHING the stones have done since ...i'll say undercover (that's my official cutoff point because they still had that SOUND - and the rest is.....
don was is the anti-christ - i can't even begin....
i was exited when i heard that the dinosaur band was doing a reunion tour - perhaps tying WAS up, but no.
August 29th, 2005 12:24 AM
stonedinaustralia it's bit off your point but i quite like ASMB
August 29th, 2005 12:34 AM
Rev Twenty Redlights You morons should get the shit out of your ears.
Rough Justice is Exile-worthy. Richards-Jagger
perfection. Catchy as hell too. and Streets of Love
is a decent-enough pop song, kinda haunting
if you give it a chance, almost Ruby Tuesdayish
in a way. But yeah, I too would have liked to
have heard a more Keithish, less Goddessy arrangement
of it. Will be interesting to see what Keith and
Ronnie do to it live.
August 29th, 2005 12:37 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Rev Twenty Redlights wrote:
Will be interesting to see what Keith and
Ronnie do to it live.

bet they'll run and hide...
August 29th, 2005 02:35 AM
The Wick This has been beaten to death, and Texile and Blooze pretty much cover the bases for me, but as Texile says, it's therapeutic to bash such a piece of shite. Not only is SOL the worst single ever, but it's the worst song they have ever recorded by a mile.

The comment about RJ being Exile worthy gave me a good laugh. Are you being serious? The shit out of our ears? Are you sure you have even got any ears. RJ is not even as good as I Go Wild, let alone being anywhere close to Exile. I don't hate RJ like others, but to say it is Exile worthy means one thing: stay away from all forms of crack.

Texile: spot on about the break off point being Undercover. I thought that VL was the beginning of a true comeback, but the Was man returned with a vengeance on Bridges (collection of mainly shit songs) and Boom Boom Clifford with a comeback on Streets of Shite. Have you heard Let Me Down Slow yet? I heard it off Ameriquest's site and thought the song itself was actually very good, but the only thing I still think it is lacking is "that sound" you talk about. The lyrics are pure Jagger and when he says "hardcore" he is getting back to his best because it is that soul you have mentioned before coming back. I just hope the album delivers so that Streets of Shite can be put to rest.
August 29th, 2005 01:59 PM
texile [quote]The Wick wrote:
Not only is SOL the worst single ever, but it's the worst song they have ever recorded by a mile.

now don't underestimate the dark power of anyway you look at it...

August 29th, 2005 03:05 PM
marko anyway you look at it

Now this is their WORST ever song-.Period.
August 29th, 2005 03:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
Rev Twenty Redlights wrote:
You morons should get the shit out of your ears.
Rough Justice is Exile-worthy.

August 29th, 2005 07:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Not only is SOL the worst single ever, but it's the worst song they have ever recorded by a mile.

Give me a break, I can name 1,000 worse songs released only this year.
August 29th, 2005 07:30 PM
texile but not worse than anyway you look at it....
this song deserves it's own thread of outrage;
August 29th, 2005 07:31 PM
Some Guy When SOL blows up don't try jumping on the band wagon, bitches!
August 29th, 2005 07:33 PM
Soldatti I've seen similar reactions with Don't Stop and after two years many people changed their minds.
August 29th, 2005 08:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I have tried to sing Rough Justice out loud and con't do it right...it's hard to sing like Mick is doing it at his 62 years old

It's really a great rocker, I love it and I have doubts that any of you compaining about it can sing it that way or at least dance

Street of Love didn't make it for me when I heard it the first time, but the more I listen to it the more I like it
August 29th, 2005 08:22 PM
Gazza RJ is a terrific rocker, yes - but "Exile worthy"? Er..no.
August 29th, 2005 08:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That's another story, but in one way or another can compare with Rip This Joint

...wait I have second thoughts
August 29th, 2005 08:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I have tried to sing Rough Justice out loud and con't do it

Glad the typo was "o" and not a "u"
August 29th, 2005 08:34 PM
CraigP Streets of Love is a terrible song... Rough Justice is all good and fresh but not quite exile...
August 29th, 2005 08:39 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I've seen similar reactions with Don't Stop and after two years many people changed their minds.

I fell in love with Don't Stop after two spins!
August 29th, 2005 09:01 PM
pdog What did this guy ever write? The critics section is just full of people who don't create, so they criticize.
Why do we even entertain these fuckheads?
August 29th, 2005 09:26 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
pdog wrote:

RANCH!

August 29th, 2005 09:38 PM
T&A
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Street of Love didn't make it for me when I heard it the first time, but the more I listen to it the more I like it

then you need to listen to it less. it truly sucks the big one.
August 29th, 2005 09:39 PM
T&A
quote:
pdog wrote:
What did this guy ever write? The critics section is just full of people who don't create, so they criticize.

You'll have to answer that yourself, darling.

Critics are there to criticize, not to create.

So, might as well go fuck yourself.
August 29th, 2005 09:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I fell in love with Don't Stop after two spins!

Me too, but the song got bad reactions in the beginning.
August 29th, 2005 10:09 PM
The Wick Soldatti, I was referring to songs recorded by the Stones, not every song released this year. And I still say it is the worst thing they have ever recorded, beating out even Anyway You Look At It. And I loved Don't Stop when I first heard it and still think the rock mix is solid.

Texile, you know I am with you on this, but I still think Streets of Shite wins out as the biggest load of crap they have ever come up with.

pdog: Watch who you call fuck head. I wonder where you came up with the critics section line. Have you been wanking off while listening to Love You Live recently? Probably, but I don't know how you find the time when so much of it is probabaly spent wanking away to Streets of Shite. Stop wanking so much, it is killing your brain cells.

Oh, and one last thing, Streets of Shite is shite....................bitches.

August 29th, 2005 10:43 PM
Soldatti C'mon Wick!
Sing This All Together (See What Happens), Send It To Me, Indian Girl and half of Dirty Work is much worse than SOL.
I'm not a fan of the song too, but is not so bad after all.
August 29th, 2005 10:51 PM
The Wick Soldatti, we just have different tastes in this case. I honestly would listen to any of those songs over SOL. As much as I hate to say this, I would even listen to Hold Back and Back to Zero over this. I know it's cheesy, but I actually like Indian Girl. Those albums just have that "sound" that Texile mentioned earlier. SOL has absolutely nothing for me. It's only good enough for a Rob Thomas album, which is by definition, total shit.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)