ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fenway Park, Boston 23rd August - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
August 24th, 2005 08:28 AM
Surround Sister Right;
Performance aint everything that matters & Setlists aint that either.
So that´s where we stan.
Personally I agree a little with those who complain...
But at times the ears feel like they´re rotten off by all the whining.

Newt show will be completely different;
or, at least, 1/3 of the setlist will be changed.
Remember where you saw it first...
August 24th, 2005 08:35 AM
Gazza LOL..some people were predicting that 24 hours ago!

I dont think I'm 'whining' to be honest. like I said before, thats for the people who were at the show as to whether it was good or not.

Just that from a personal perspective, if I went to 2 stadium shows in the same city and the setlists were like they have been so far, I'd be disappointed at the band's lack of ambition. I'd still enjoy the shows, however. With the Stones, I always do. Theres something about them that transcends setlists and, to a degree, the performance

We're just trying to judge it on how we'd react if that was what they played at OUR shows
August 24th, 2005 08:47 AM
Nellcote My experiences on Fenway II

A real playoff or World Series air around all of Fenway..

Met up with Jizz & his buddy, had a great time with them @ Cask & Flagon. So great that Rocks Off pulls people into your life, which have the same set of priorities...Enjoying The Stones. We'll hook up again Jizz...

I went "stalking" as I'd heard the green room was at the club named Avalon. Waited till 8P, no sightings, hit the road..

Seats this time in the grandstand, directly across from the stage. That stage is still one grand mutha...

Saw Whoppi Goldberg being ushered out on the field. Hopefully, that thought will leave quickly.

Had the whole row of seats to myself, as people left for other seats, it was a tough experience but I stuck it out...

Noticed during the opening montage of strewn items flying thru the universe such as large boulders, spaceships, tongues, the image of each of the Stones appears briefly..

The Stage is quite an event in and of itself. The area of ON STAGE seating vibrates and pulsates with light during the show..The colors and lighting is really quite spectacular..

The music...Again, as soon as the 4th song came in, I could hear the collective grousing on each and every Stones board on the planet, "same songs again"...which I will refrain from commenting on, as it only stirs up angst..

Every song was just great. As in the opener, there is a real fire in this edition. Bitch kicked ass Ronnie is the highlight for my viewing so far, he's on, he's everywhere, other band members come to him to cajole or play near him.
B Stage is a specatacle like it's never been. The stage is really tiny, although it does increase when it's in it's docked position. It does give a club feel.

The new songs go over very well. Funny that the "single" Streets of Love has not made a concert yet...

The flowered tongue at the back of the main stage which inflates during the B needs major help. After it's inflated, it just sort of lays there. It needs to be brought up higher, as it looks like a Jenny Craig commercial, just laying there, in need of help!
In addition, I do not understand why the jumbotron does not show the B Stage action, as the folks in the front are SOL..

The fireworks at the end need to be shot higher, as they explode behind the stage. Or, just eliminate them as from the high vantage point of the grandstand seats, you were not able to see them.

It appeared a second encore was to occur, as there was a large amount of time after the bows were taken, and the fireworks went off, however it was not to happen..

On to Hahtfud on Friday, looking forward to the large stadium setup....

ROCK ON!!
August 24th, 2005 08:47 AM
Some Guy It'll change when the new album drops.
August 24th, 2005 08:49 AM
corgi37 Oh, well. Next!!!!
August 24th, 2005 09:19 AM
Surround Sister Well put, Gazza, indeed.
I didnt aim at you at the "whining" part.
Its just that the reactions feels, at times, overwhelmingly overreactive (good English??).
Maybe worse over at iorr, where I spend a greater portion of my days, than (I do) here.
Because its also interesting to hear about how they did it.
Many positive reports I find, anyhow.
We´ll see after the third night.
August 24th, 2005 09:27 AM
luxury1 Thanks Nellcote!

You know, some of us who are grousing about the "same set list" seem to forget that so far on this tour, we seem to be having the guitars up front,-- louder, raunchier and more "on", while Chuck, the horns and backups are turned "down" a bit. Isnt this what most of the boards have been asking for?? Dont you think that just MAYBE the band/periphery are reading these boards and quite possibly attempting to please us?? And come on, neither Keith nor Ronnie are, or ever were, "virtuoso" guitar players. The band seems to be trying to please everyone in the large stadiums--newbies who only know the hits, die-hards with the cover tunes/bluesy numbers, new tunes--The boys only had a few weeks to rehearse. Maybe they like to play the war horses!! I sure like listening to them--those pieces are their signature, right?? I think they are trying to mix it up the best they can. I am so fucking thrilled they still tour and record. Bring it all on, boys!! I am already nuts with anticipation for Hartford. I hope I dont get kicked outta my box seat......
August 24th, 2005 09:37 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Thanks Nellcote!

You know, some of us who are grousing about the "same set list" seem to forget that so far on this tour, we seem to be having the guitars up front,-- louder, raunchier and more "on", while Chuck, the horns and backups are turned "down" a bit. Isnt this what most of the boards have been asking for?? Dont you think that just MAYBE the band/periphery are reading these boards and quite possibly attempting to please us?? And come on, neither Keith nor Ronnie are, or ever were, "virtuoso" guitar players. The band seems to be trying to please everyone in the large stadiums--newbies who only know the hits, die-hards with the cover tunes/bluesy numbers, new tunes--The boys only had a few weeks to rehearse. Maybe they like to play the war horses!! I sure like listening to them--those pieces are their signature, right?? I think they are trying to mix it up the best they can. I am so fucking thrilled they still tour and record. Bring it all on, boys!! I am already nuts with anticipation for Hartford. I hope I dont get kicked outta my box seat......

Words Luxy
100% agree...
August 24th, 2005 09:41 AM
egon as long as there's a stage, the boys on it & some noise,
i'm happy!
August 24th, 2005 10:25 AM
Saint Sway my review of the set list:

yawn
August 24th, 2005 10:28 AM
Jerry in Boston My thoughts on Fenway II:

I had to work and ended up getting into the park while the opener was still on. I thought I'd miss them... I wish I had. I hung out on yawkey Way for a bite cuz i was starving for dinner and then made my way to my seat thankfully *just* in time for the Peas to come to an end.

I was in Section 17, with straight-on view of the stage. This view of it, straight on, was GREAT! I loved my view for Fenway I but that was off to the side and I didn't really get to enjoy the full effect of the stage set coming to life... and the jumbo tron. I loved the intro tape and the sparks off the top of the set and again, the frontline fire columns at the start of "Start Me Up". I know it's almost cliche at this point, but it pleases.

Like others in the park, by the time we got to "She's So Cold" I could just feel the internet burning up with "Oh No, not the same setlist again" comments! But ya know what... same list, same great show. All the tunes work and they work well. Again, I'll say that the usual Hot Rocks and Licks get the biggest ovations.

I knew that "Heatbreaker" would be cut! Damn it, I do love that song and I have to admit when they replaced it with "Bitch" I was a tad let down. But still it was okay - I was seeing the Rolling Stones on a mammoth stage in Fenway Park in 2005 - it's cool with me!

I agree with others about that damned inflatable during "Honky Tonk"... it's either got to be repainted, fixed, or nixed! I think it's hideous and pointless.

As for performance, I thought it was funny during "Oh No, Not You Again" when it seemed like the band got stuck and didn't know how to end it. Mick kept ad-libbing "Oh No!" a few times, went to Charlie, and then finally Chuck brought down his fist to end the song. I really think they got stuck. LOL Also, during "You Can't Get", did that one fall apart in the middle? Is that why Mick stopped it all and quickly turned it into a call/response thing with the crowd? It halted abruptly, Mick stood there for a second and started the call/reponse and Chuck joined in... then the band kicked in and continued to finish the song. If it was planned, it was not very fluid... if it was a breakdown and recovery, it was brilliant! LOL Also, at the end of "IORR", it seemed like Mick ended the song early cuz Charlie kept beating a couple times and Keith looked surprised on the big screen. Maybe 10:30 was sound curfew? Cuz the song ended around 10:35-ish. I don't know, but it's these little things that I find really fun about a Stones show.

I loved it. I really did. I know I saw basically the same show as Sunday but it's cool. And most of all, I have a hard time accepting the fact that we are all blessed by being able to go see the Stones this late in their game. I'm quite thankful for that, actually.
August 24th, 2005 12:49 PM
Dutch Michael D. it's just perfect!!!! great shows at fenway!!! i'm very excited!!! But..... I need pics from the second fenway show, !!!
[Edited by Dutch Michael D.]
August 24th, 2005 01:03 PM
Angiegirl Pictures Boston-2:

http://stones.web-log.nl/

August 24th, 2005 01:10 PM
Dutch Michael D. thanks Girl! nice pics, great!!!
August 24th, 2005 01:22 PM
The Wick I just saw the clip on Yahoo and was somewhat dissapointed, not because it didn't sound good, but Jagger didn't look like himself. He didn't seem to hit the songs with the same gusto as before. It almost looked like he didn't really want to be there. Videos can be deceiving though and I was wondering what the opinion of the people who actually saw the show is about Jagger's performance.
August 24th, 2005 01:49 PM
luxury1 I love that they still get "stuck" trying to end a song!! It is funny--I agree. And they do "fall apart" during certain sections of some songs--it makes the Stones the Stones, right? I saw MIck turn to CHarlie when he was on the B-Stage, the inflatble lips blown up (well, kinda), and he says " It's all fucked up!" and he and Charlie grin sheepishly. Those moments are some of the best.....
August 24th, 2005 02:29 PM
polytoxic Another thing to add about the setlist stuff is that in the old pre-internet days bands could get away with bringing their "revue" to your town and it would seem new and exciting but now with information being exchanged the way it is the optics of it all seem like the band is going through the motions. They're obviously ironing out the kinks of the show and I'm sure they will shuffle up the keith & b stage sections eventually. It is a little odd because they usually they try out a lot of different stuff at the start of a tour and then settle into a comfortable routine, so I admit I am puzzled by this. The band does sound better but I think that's because they are in good shape now, the sidemen tend to take over when KR and RW aren't pulling their weight. That said, I'm sure if I were in Boston for those shows I'd be living large and loving life because it's damn fun to go a Stones show. I'll just start getting worried if we're ten shows in and nothing's changed.
August 24th, 2005 03:07 PM
time is on my side
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Another thing to add about the setlist stuff is that in the old pre-internet days bands could get away with bringing their "revue" to your town and it would seem new and exciting but now with information being exchanged the way it is the optics of it all seem like the band is going through the motions.

Excellent point. Back in the days before the information age came; before people had their own personal computers, hardly anybody in other town's knew what the setlist was or what it was going to be. As a result, when the STONES came into town, there was a lot of people who had no idea what was going to be played. Sheer guesswork. It was a common business practice for bands to settle into one setlist and play it during a tour or for a few years. The STONES did this on just about all their tours until 1989 when they did, on occasion, try to mix up the setlist.

However, most bands now a days realize that there are websites devoted to a particular band and pulling up a setlist is normally as easy as pulling up Google or Yahoo. The setlist has become shared information and it's common knowledge what has been played and what hasn't. Because of this and other factors, there has been an effort by most bands to change the setlist from time to time. It is not as common of a practice as it once was to play the same setlist from town to town.

I agree with you as the tour winds along that there will be some changes. However, it should be noted that the STONES have played only two shows and, judging from the people who attended, they all seem to have had themselves a great time & have absolutely no problem with the setlist.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 24th, 2005 05:04 PM
montana finally a good bunch of pix, from bostonherald

August 24th, 2005 06:10 PM
The Wick What the hell are those trousers Ronnie Wood is wearing?
August 24th, 2005 06:15 PM
Angiegirl It looks like he forgot to change his pyjama pants.
August 24th, 2005 07:50 PM
The Wick Or he's going for the thermal underwear in the summer look.
August 24th, 2005 07:50 PM
mac_daddy

that is a GREAT f*ckin' pic!!!
August 24th, 2005 10:22 PM
Bob Tamp I was at both Fenway shows, and I enjoyed them. Both shows were definately a lot more guitar oriented than any tour since 1994/1995.
Not the best stones shows i've seen, but I think there is lots of hope. Looking forward to friday night in hartford.
After 3 shows, Im taking a break until they return indoors to Boston in January.
August 24th, 2005 10:28 PM
corgi37 I love Keith's green shoes. He wore them opening night too.
August 24th, 2005 11:36 PM
lonecrapshooter I made it to both Boston shows and agree with the many positive reviews on this thread. Fixing the sound with the B stage is a huge improvement.
August 25th, 2005 04:58 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I love Keith's green shoes. He wore them opening night too.

He wore them in 2002 too...
August 25th, 2005 05:46 AM
Moonisup is ronnie getting back to the 1981 clothes?
August 25th, 2005 08:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Excellent point. Back in the days before the information age came; before people had their own personal computers, hardly anybody in other town's knew what the setlist was or what it was going to be. As a result, when the STONES came into town, there was a lot of people who had no idea what was going to be played. Sheer guesswork. It was a common business practice for bands to settle into one setlist and play it during a tour or for a few years. The STONES did this on just about all their tours until 1989 when they did, on occasion, try to mix up the setlist.

However, most bands now a days realize that there are websites devoted to a particular band and pulling up a setlist is normally as easy as pulling up Google or Yahoo. The setlist has become shared information and it's common knowledge what has been played and what hasn't. Because of this and other factors, there has been an effort by most bands to change the setlist from time to time. It is not as common of a practice as it once was to play the same setlist from town to town.

Thats also a good point as is polytoxic's. Just to add one thing to it, though. Years ago, it wasnt as normal as it is now for fans to go to more than one show and to travel far and wide to see their favourite act. The Stones have acknowledged in interviews over the last few years that they're more aware than before of seeing people in the crowd who obviously have made the effort to see several shows and so theyre more conscious of the fact that fans like to see the show changed around a bit
August 25th, 2005 08:53 AM
Mathijs Funny thing, for years the press has been addressing the Stones as "old", and I just never saw that. For me, the Stones were the Stones. It's the first time ever for me that I look at them and also think "damn, they ARE getting old, and they look it too!" Jagger is actually getting really thin, I never noticed before he had such small legs! The pic above of Jagger clapping above his head -check his moody face, somehow it doesn't seem to fit as much as it did a couple of years ago. Still, the guy has a better physique than me, and I am 30 years younger...

Mathijs
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)