ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fenway Park, Boston 21st August - Setlist, Reports & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
August 22nd, 2005 11:04 AM
Gazza great reviews, thanks

what was the intro to the show like??
August 22nd, 2005 11:20 AM
charlotte
quote:
Jerry in Boston wrote:
I don't have time to read 7 pages of thread but I've scanned enough to see that the majority of devoute Stones fans are unhappy with last night's setlist.

I was there... with 36,000 other people... and 36,000 people sang the loudest during the usual suspects: Satisfaction, Flash, Devil, Sugar, Miss You (YUCK! I'm tired of it too... but the stage moved out to mid-field during the number so at least something cool was going on during the 500th time I've heard the song so I didn't care!), It's Only, What ya want, etc. NOBODY sang during the 4 new songs - obviously (Well, a handful of us might have but you get my point). NOBODY sang during Heartbreaker and I fear that will get the chop! I LOVED it of course, but it seemed to confuse the crowd a bit... they were kind of out of the loop on that one. They knew SHATTERED, they knew START ME UP, they knew BEAST OF BURDEN, but damnit... they didn't know HEARTBREAKER, and they didn't seem to know SHE'S SO COLD as well either but I did hear crowd attempts at "I'm so hot for her, I'm so hot...."

The point is: there were so many people in that crowd who probably only own HOT ROCKS or FORTY LICKS that it's pointless to wish for super rare tracks in such a huge crowd. They need to please the majority - majority rules especially when ticket prices are so damned high.

They got a nice responce on the Ray Charles track and generally speaking the entire concert was a huge success. I'm going off memory but last night's Fenway show was WAY better than 2002's Gillette show by far. I don't think I'd say it was better than 2002's FleetCenter show but that was an arena.

I was seated stage right (? well, if looking at the stage from the crowd I was on the left wing) and the lights on our side's ramp were dead. There are lights lining the ramps to the far stage sides and our lights were dead. Apart from that, the light show, the pyro, the screens, the smoke, the BIGGER BANGS, it all worked and worked well with the chosen setlist. I'm sorry, I have to admit it, the warhorses were the winners last night.

Thanks Jerry in Boston...I have heard the same from those I talked to who were at the show...I tried to make that point early in the thread but the arm chair quarterbacks, monday morning super bowl winning coaches know better than those who were there.It was a Licks/Hot Rocks crowd that paid a lot of $$ to see and hear them play...

Glad to see your post Lj!!!!
[Edited by charlotte]
August 22nd, 2005 11:31 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
Stuff the set lists--------are the t-shirts any good????

There are lots to choose from! I picked up the baseball tongue one with the boston dates on the back. They even have a Red Sox-ish jersey ($100) but I didn't bite on that one. Lots of others as well. A green one that says "Exile on Landsdowne St." which... I might pick up Tuesday night if there are any left. Apart from that some really cool options for all tastes. The tourbook is packed with pages and it's been tradition for me to pick up a book at every show but after I got it home, it's just okay. I also bought the baseball tongue cap. It was rather expensive though but I really dig it.

I have to admit that the merch stands were packed with people sliding plastic! LOL Lots of sales were ringing up at those tables.
August 22nd, 2005 11:38 AM
charlotte I think this is one cool shirt!
Moonisup ANYONE who DARES to say Keith is washed up
CAN KISS MY ASS!!! He was on fire last night.

Ronnie was ON!!!

I dare to say he's washed up that's my opinion. But ok, some people would even like the stones when keith would eat his own shit
[Edited by Moonisup]
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Gazza wrote:
great reviews, thanks

what was the intro to the show like??

INTRO! Very cool! It's actually a bit like the intro to the B2B shows.... cool video of Stones tongue in space, then BANG (with fire explosion from top of stage rig) then, just like on the Wheels/Jungle tour, the entire frontline erupts in fire columns (instead of the 89/90 sparks towers) on Keith's "Start Me Up" intro riffs... and we're off and running. The crowd was in an absolute FRENZY because of the video/explosion/fire buildup! It's a good intro but it's a combination of B2B and Wheels/Jungle, to be honest. I know it sounds like rehash but it really is impressive!
August 22nd, 2005 11:48 AM
Sir Stonesalot I may be in the minority here, but.....

If I went to see the Stones and DIDN'T get to here those warhorses, I'd feel cheated. For real.

I LOVE THOSE SONGS! Why wouldn't I want to hear them?

I've been to 11 Stones shows...soon to be lucky 13...and I've seen all those songs played ad nauseum. And I loved 'em each and every time. Holy FUCK people...those are some of the GREATEST rock and roll songs ever written! Why WOULDN'T they play them?

How can it be a bad thing to hear JJF or Statisfaction, two of the greatest rock and roll songs ever written, played by the greatest rock n roll band ever to plug in their amps? I mean, c'mon. Those warhorses are what MADE the Rolling Stones. Fuck yeah they oughta play those songs.

I bought my tickets knowing full well that there would be no suprises, that I'd be hearing things that I've already heard multiple times. I love those songs, so I bought tickets. How many tours do the Stones need to do before you realize that ALL Stones tours are "warhorse" tours? If you haven't realized by now that you are gonna get 12-15 "warhorses" in every setlist, then you are fucking thick headed. Did you seriously expect anything else...c'mon back to reality son.

Don't want to see that kind of setlist? Don't buy the tickets. Or start your own Rolling Stones band and play whatever you want to play to a bar full of people. Snuggle up with you bootlegs and create your own dream show. Whatever.

I will, however, join in with a bitch about ticket prices. Even as much as I love the Stones, I will not pay more than $150.00 a ticket for ANYONE.
August 22nd, 2005 12:16 PM
Moonisup

why was the field empty, that looks pretty sad
August 22nd, 2005 12:24 PM
charlotte Mr Lawyer bought the entire block of infield seats so the show could be SRO...
August 22nd, 2005 12:25 PM
Moonisup it looks really, really, sad
did josh visit the show too? I know he flew in!
[Edited by Moonisup]
August 22nd, 2005 12:29 PM
charlotte Four Seasons...
August 22nd, 2005 12:29 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

Because they still have many baseball games that are scheduled to be played there this year (Boston Red Sox have games in August, September and, yes, October)and they didn't want the field & grass destroyed by the concert.
August 22nd, 2005 12:35 PM
Moonisup
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Because they still have many baseball games that are scheduled to be played there this year (Boston Red Sox have games in August, September and, yes, October)and they didn't want the field & grass destroyed by the concert.

but it looks silly
August 22nd, 2005 12:36 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

They were forbidden to use the diamond due to future Red Sox games. All of the field seats and towers and boards were confined to the grass sections. The actual diamond was roped and fenced off for protection. Although, I did see one person jump the fence to "run the bases" during... I think it was during IORR at the very end. I don't know if the person was caught.
August 22nd, 2005 12:47 PM
ListenToTheLion [quote] Don't want to see that kind of setlist? Don't buy the tickets. Or start your own Rolling Stones band and play whatever you want to play to a bar full of people. Snuggle up with you bootlegs and create your own dream show. Whatever. [quote]

Thanks for the advice!
August 22nd, 2005 12:48 PM
polytoxic Thanks for the reviews. Looks like the bottom line is "Ding Dong the Plink is dead and wild Warhorses couldn't drag me away, they didn't Sway me but they slayed me so goddammit Charlie, rock'n'roll is on the road again".

August 22nd, 2005 12:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot >but it looks silly<

Perhaps to a European it may, but to those of us in the States, it looks normal. You will see the same thing in Philadelphia too.

The infields of these baseball parks cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and have had hundreds of thousands of man hours put in on the maitenence and grooming of that field. Do you really think that these ball parks would allow a concert to do any damage?

I'm guessing that as a European, you do not understand the difference between a multipurpose stadium, and a ball park. Ball parks are designed and built for the game of baseball, and for watching the game of baseball. Nothing else. I was suprised that they even allowed the Stones to use Fenway. In the US, baseball is bigger than the Stones will ever be.
August 22nd, 2005 01:00 PM
gimmekeef Detroit wont have a problem for 2 reasons...No fans there and no games late into the baseball season....
August 22nd, 2005 01:01 PM
Moonisup yeah I have never seen it! But last tour they did not have that in any stadium or am I confused?
August 22nd, 2005 01:08 PM
erikjjf
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
yeah I have never seen it! But last tour they did not have that in any stadium or am I confused?

On the last tour, there were hardly any shows in baseball parks, early in the tour.
August 22nd, 2005 01:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot >But last tour they did not have that in any stadium or am I confused<

You are confused. Stadiums and Ball Parks are 2 different things.

Stadiums are multi-purpose facilities, usually with artificial turf. Stadiums hold huge numbers of people, 50,000 +. There are stadiums that are used for baseball, but not many anymore. The day of the multi-purpose stadium are rapidly coming to a close.

A Ball Park is not a multi-purpose facility. It is used for baseball, and their seating capacity is usually 40,000 or less. There are no other sports teams that use Fenway Park, and they have real grass instead of turf. There are very very few concerts held there. It's that way in Philly. Citizen's Bank Park is a baseball only ball park. They have very few concerts there...and it's just like Fenway...they don't let concert goers on the infield when they do have a concert..

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
August 22nd, 2005 01:36 PM
Nellcote It was a moment for sure last night.
I was able to touch the left field wall at Fenway.
As I stated on Friday, there was a karma in the air about the entire weekend.
Especially meeting up with LJ, Scope, Luxy, Lots of Jizz, many others here on Rocks Off..
I knew the Stones would be on their game, I did not expect them to be SO on their game...

Izzy, are you going Tuesday, we should hook up?
August 22nd, 2005 01:37 PM
beer You can watch Shattered here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4172362.stm#

-
August 22nd, 2005 01:38 PM
JaggerLips GREAT OUT OF CONTROL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE THEY USE THIS SONG A LOT MORE AND SAINT OF ME!
August 22nd, 2005 01:47 PM
Moonisup Thanks Marc, for clearing that
August 22nd, 2005 01:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot No problem Rik. Glad to be of service.

It's just one of those odd American type things. No reason you should have known about it.
August 22nd, 2005 02:03 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

but it looks silly

No. Having a concert there is silly. Baseball is that for which Fenway Park exists. They have only ever had three conerts there in 93 years.

August 22nd, 2005 02:13 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
It was a moment for sure last night.
I was able to touch the left field wall at Fenway.
As I stated on Friday, there was a karma in the air about the entire weekend.
Especially meeting up with LJ, Scope, Luxy, Lots of Jizz, many others here on Rocks Off..
I knew the Stones would be on their game, I did not expect them to be SO on their game...

Izzy, are you going Tuesday, we should hook up?

Did you notice on the score board on the Green Monster that in the innings slots they spelled out:

R O L L I N G
S T O N E S

LOL Pretty cool to see that on the Red Sox score board!!!!!
August 22nd, 2005 02:14 PM
gimmekeef http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7581198/therollingstones?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

Good Review in Rolling Stone Magazine!!!!!
August 22nd, 2005 02:17 PM
Nellcote Hey Jerry, missed that!
Will look for it @ Fenway II...
You going?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)