ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fenway Park, Boston 21st August - Setlist, Reports & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
August 22nd, 2005 05:34 AM
Gazza I think the band deserve some credit for playing five songs last night that would have been unfamiliar to practically everyone in the stadium (4 off the upcoming album plus the Ray Charles song)

However, the rest of the show was a greatest hits re-tread for the casual fan - with the exception of "the Worst", every one of the old songs played last night was also released as a single...and something like 13 of the 17 older songs were on "40 licks".

I dont agree with the theory that some would hold that the vast majority of the audience are there to hear warhorses. That might be the case say in Moncton or somewhere where they havent played before. They've played Boston numerous times in the last few years so a sizeable percentage of that audience have seen them before plus they're obviously aware that an opening night show is going to attract a lot of fans from around the country and beyond who will be flying in JUST to see the tour opener. Had I been a local who had gone to that show I'd have almost certainly enjoyed the show (its the Stones after all, and its a new tour - how could you NOT enjoy it?) but I'd have felt a bit underwhelmed by the 'play it safe' nature of the setlist

Take a look at the tour openers for previous tours and you'll see setlists that were pretty ambitious, featuring old songs never played before or that hadnt been played in many years as well as several premieres of new songs. The only song premiered last night was the Ray Charles one. Last night's setlist by comparison was very unadventurous. Had you not seen the list of songs played at the dress rehearsals or at the club show, the only numbers you would reasonably have described as long-shots were Shes So Cold, Night Time and Out of Control. And with the exception of OOC, you could have almost phoned in the setlist for the final third of the show in advance

I'm encouraged by a couple of things - good reviews (although no one paying $450 a ticket is seriously going to admit publicly that they felt shortchanged) and the fact that they had the balls to play five songs that are either off an upcoming album or unreleased. Uninspiring playlist, otherwise, though in all honesty (loathe as I am to criticise a setlist for a show I wasnt at)

Maybe the fact they played a lot of new songs meant that they felt they had to counterbalance it with so many 'warhorses' (and they played them ALL) but it doesnt look like a very balanced show to me - you'd expect a mixture of old hits, new songs and non-singles from classic albums - they seem to have almost skipped the latter category altogether. I hope they'll add more of these later on - although if theyre not at the expense of some of the warhorses its a missed opportunity.

That said, the show was aimed at those who were there - not those of us who werent. Its their call as to whether they were genuinely pleased with what the band did (and didnt) play.
August 22nd, 2005 05:50 AM
egon i'll post my review a little later.
oh no wait.... that's only next year.
you lucky bastards!
August 22nd, 2005 06:01 AM
ziggypayne What a lame encore. Hopefully they alternate Midnight Rambler and YCAGWYW as the tour goes on. That would reduce the sting of IORAR. That and hopefully they drop Miss You. Maybe a little Gimme Shelter instead?

Kind of bummed by the lack of classic album cuts (Let It Bleed, Live With Me, Midnight Rambler, Rocks Off, ect). These are tunes they play on a semi-regular basis, so it's not like the audience would be unfamilliar with them.

She's So Cold, Heartbreaker and Out of Control are nice additions.

It will be interesting to see how static the sets are this tour. They set a big precedent last year with changing the sets at all three levels of shows. Now with each market only getting one type of show (either arena or stadium), will they go back to the same set every night, or will they continue to mix things up. Hopefully the later, because this is a less than thrilling set in many of our opinions.
August 22nd, 2005 07:18 AM
padre I'm glad Out of Control is in the set. It hope it stays. Rambler would be very cool as the set closer!
August 22nd, 2005 07:29 AM
Jeep Great pics here :

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c1%7c0%7c12%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c53436833%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

August 22nd, 2005 07:41 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
ziggypayne wrote:
What a lame encore. Hopefully they alternate Midnight Rambler and YCAGWYW as the tour goes on. That would reduce the sting of IORAR. That and hopefully they drop Miss You. Maybe a little Gimme Shelter instead?

Kind of bummed by the lack of classic album cuts (Let It Bleed, Live With Me, Midnight Rambler, Rocks Off, ect). These are tunes they play on a semi-regular basis, so it's not like the audience would be unfamilliar with them.

the level of whining from those not there concerning the setlist says more about the poster than the setlist....I can assure you that the crowd enjoyed the song selection just fine

supplementary notes upon wakening.....
a giant flower patterned tongue that was to emerge during Honky Tonk Women became stuck and required roadie help to get it out there--a little late, a real SPinal Tap moment

the Sympathy intro was almost entirely spoken with minimal instrumental backing....Wooody soared on it later, Keith sounded a little off

Bobby Keyes nailed the Brown Sugar solo perfectly

IORR gets better and better with age...remember those shitty 70's versions like on Love You Live? not like that now!!
August 22nd, 2005 07:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

the level of whining from those not there concerning the setlist says more about the poster than the setlist....I can assure you that the crowd enjoyed the song selection just fine

like I said, thats what counts in the end. Glad you and the crowd enjoyed it.

Personally speaking, if I see a stadium show this tour, I'd hope it will be quite a bit different set-list wise to that one, but I'm sure I'd still enjoy it to some degree anyway.

You mentioned "Satisfaction" being particularly good. Why did it sound better than ever?
August 22nd, 2005 08:24 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You mentioned "Satisfaction" being particularly good. Why did it sound better than ever?

the crispiest performance of the night....the musicians seemed the most into it on that tune, no mistakes...and Mick even growled out some of the final lyrics---his dancing was superb there---he's better (IMHO) on a smaller stage like the B-stage as opposed to all that big space where he runs around....also the sound of the B-stage songs seemed stronger and clearer and probably helped my impression...plus it was good to hear it in stripped down format with no horns or backing singers....Mick was jumping about on that one like a man possessed...if I did not say it earlier I will say it now--Mick IS the performer!!!
August 22nd, 2005 08:35 AM
T&A Oh, geezus, Gazza - quit being so fucking diplomatic! You don't need to have been there to know a shitty setlist when you see it! :-)
August 22nd, 2005 08:37 AM
charlotte torrent the fucker....
August 22nd, 2005 09:02 AM
Maxlugar Nattering nabobs of negativism.

August 22nd, 2005 09:07 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
T&A wrote:
Oh, geezus, Gazza - quit being so fucking diplomatic! You don't need to have been there to know a shitty setlist when you see it! :-)

as Lennon and Ferry sang, you're "just a jealous guy"
August 22nd, 2005 09:11 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
T&A wrote:
Oh, geezus, Gazza - quit being so fucking diplomatic! You don't need to have been there to know a shitty setlist when you see it! :-)

I don't understand howe you can complain about a setlist you didn't even see/hear?

Go find a setlist that you do like and read it up and down until you feel better. Or make one up even. Call it the moofy nunk munk setlist. Then pretend Mick Taylor is playing instead of Woodie. Its Sway on the B stage! Yes! This could be one of the greatest shows we've ever not seen........
August 22nd, 2005 09:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
T&A wrote:

shhhhhhhh...you're giving the game away

After posting a glowing review of the new album, I'm trying to sound all reasonable this month for once.....
August 22nd, 2005 09:15 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
It will be interesting to see how static the sets are this tour. They set a big precedent last year with changing the sets at all three levels of shows. Now with each market only getting one type of show (either arena or stadium), will they go back to the same set every night, or will they continue to mix things up. Hopefully the later, because this is a less than thrilling set in many of our opinions.

quoted for truth.
Lazy Bones Thanks, everyone, for the reviews and pics! I wasn't home last night to follow along with the setlist. It was nice to catch up quickly once I got home with all the coverage.

Greatly appreciated!

Here we go again...
Nasty Habits
quote:
T&A wrote:

What can I say, Homo, other than I'm a much more jaded motherfucker than you. Cheers.

Can't be all that jaded if you're actually surprised/disillusioned at this stage in the game over that setlist.
August 22nd, 2005 09:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

as Lennon and Ferry sang, you're "just a jealous guy"

Wrong Lennon song in this case. I think "Mindgames" is more appropriate
August 22nd, 2005 09:34 AM
Moonisup Thanks XYZ
for your great and honest review!
August 22nd, 2005 09:59 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Nattering nabobs of negativism.

Dr. Smith?
August 22nd, 2005 10:01 AM
Scottfree
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I don't understand howe you can complain about a setlist you didn't even see/hear?

Go find a setlist that you do like and read it up and down until you feel better. Or make one up even. Call it the moofy nunk munk setlist. Then pretend Mick Taylor is playing instead of Woodie. Its Sway on the B stage! Yes! This could be one of the greatest shows we've ever not seen........

This is a great point, I'm not wild about the choices, but ultimatley it's not what they play, it's how they play'em....
August 22nd, 2005 10:08 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Now I'm really mad I missed the pre-show gathering - all those RO members! I hope y'all had a blast.

Looking at that Toronto review, Nellcote, seems like maybe from your position on the field the sound was in better condition than up where we are. Still, at times the flubs and silences or missed cues really got grating. The last solos on IORR were priceless, though - Keith and Ronnie, standing center stage, and, true to form, you couldn't tell who was playing what riff. It was sloppy as hell, but if they put in the effort they could well have an incredible show when they come back here in January - and you better believe I'll be there for that!
August 22nd, 2005 10:17 AM
corgi37 I find it sad and infuriating no one took a small video from a mobile phone. I want to see this moving stage thingy.

Congrats to all who went. Looking forward to the next shows reviews. I badly want to hear from some one who saw the show from the onstage seats. They seem crap the more i think of it.
August 22nd, 2005 10:21 AM
montana some pix from boston herald

[Edited by montana]
August 22nd, 2005 10:34 AM
LadyJane Good morning....

I am very bleary!

Very sad to see the negativity this a.m.

I was there....THE STONES ROCKED FENWAY!!!!!!

Yes...we heard warhorses...BUT WE SAW AND HEARD THEM PLAYED WITH REVITILIZED MAGIC!!

I swear they read these Boards. Guitars were turned UP. LEAVELL was DOWN.
The VEGAS ACT was replaced by a a raw, blusey, ROCK N ROLL BAND!!

ANYONE who DARES to say Keith is washed up
CAN KISS MY ASS!!! He was on fire last night.

Ronnie was ON!!!

Charlie..what can I say? Rock solid...looks WONDERFUL...and the lump
in my throat when he was first shown on video was large.

Mick Jagger is the greatest showman in the history of entertainment. I can say nothing more
He looked hot, Superblow fans, and I have not heard from Luxy since the Show. Hmmmm...where could
she be.

Okay..more later.

I'm about to lose internet access.

LJ.
August 22nd, 2005 10:38 AM
egon
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Okay..more later.

I think you already said it all
August 22nd, 2005 10:45 AM
Lethargy Why is everyone bitchin about the setlist so much? It doesn't look that bad to me. Sure, the warhorses are there, but so are:

Out Of Control (great!)
She's So Cold (not played in 20+ years)
Heartbreaker (played occasionally in last 10 years, but not all the time)
Shattered (ditto)
Night Time (never played)

Not too bad for a stadium show.
August 22nd, 2005 10:53 AM
Tom five new songs only played at the warmup gig, four of them from the upcoming album. I can't complain I think it was a great stadium show
August 22nd, 2005 11:03 AM
Jerry in Boston I don't have time to read 7 pages of thread but I've scanned enough to see that the majority of devoute Stones fans are unhappy with last night's setlist.

I was there... with 36,000 other people... and 36,000 people sang the loudest during the usual suspects: Satisfaction, Flash, Devil, Sugar, Miss You (YUCK! I'm tired of it too... but the stage moved out to mid-field during the number so at least something cool was going on during the 500th time I've heard the song so I didn't care!), It's Only, What ya want, etc. NOBODY sang during the 4 new songs - obviously (Well, a handful of us might have but you get my point). NOBODY sang during Heartbreaker and I fear that will get the chop! I LOVED it of course, but it seemed to confuse the crowd a bit... they were kind of out of the loop on that one. They knew SHATTERED, they knew START ME UP, they knew BEAST OF BURDEN, but damnit... they didn't know HEARTBREAKER, and they didn't seem to know SHE'S SO COLD as well either but I did hear crowd attempts at "I'm so hot for her, I'm so hot...."

The point is: there were so many people in that crowd who probably only own HOT ROCKS or FORTY LICKS that it's pointless to wish for super rare tracks in such a huge crowd. They need to please the majority - majority rules especially when ticket prices are so damned high.

They got a nice responce on the Ray Charles track and generally speaking the entire concert was a huge success. I'm going off memory but last night's Fenway show was WAY better than 2002's Gillette show by far. I don't think I'd say it was better than 2002's FleetCenter show but that was an arena.

I was seated stage right (? well, if looking at the stage from the crowd I was on the left wing) and the lights on our side's ramp were dead. There are lights lining the ramps to the far stage sides and our lights were dead. Apart from that, the light show, the pyro, the screens, the smoke, the BIGGER BANGS, it all worked and worked well with the chosen setlist. I'm sorry, I have to admit it, the warhorses were the winners last night.
August 22nd, 2005 11:03 AM
hotlicks Stuff the set lists--------are the t-shirts any good????
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)