ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, 26th August 2007
© Jeep - Thanks a lot!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ian Anderson Return to archive
26th August 2007 04:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ian Anderson: When he who pays the piper doesn't get to call the tune then who's as thick as a brick?

He still isn't too old to rock 'n' roll and he was never too young to be wise about business. Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson talks to Maggie Lee

Published: 26 August 2007
Independent.co.uk

The only thing I regret about my musical career is the name of the band," says Ian Anderson, frontman and flautist of Jethro Tull, the progressive rock band. "We were given the name by a booking agent in the Sixties. We probably wouldn't have agreed if we'd realised we'd been christened after an 18th-century agriculturist who'd invented the seed drill. It's hardly rock 'n' roll!"

Now, 40 years on, the irony is not lost on Anderson. Alongside his musical activities, the multi-millionaire rocker has managed a separate business career investing in country estates and cultivating fish farms. It has been a lucrative journey. By the Nineties, Strathaird Salmon, the fish-processing company based on his Isle of Skye estate, was reportedly worth £10.7m. He sold part of the company to the Macrae Food Group in 2001.

Anderson, who still tours around the world, is one of a tiny band of rock stars whose grasp of the business side of the industry has arguably helped them stand the test of time. He retains control over his artistic and entertainment activities as a director and shareholder in four privately owned UK companies. And, as a director of Skye Salmon, he retains an interest in the operation of fish hatcheries and farms. In addition, he owns properties in Switzerland and the UK, including a 400-acre estate in Wiltshire.

"While I may have a Swiss bank account," he says pointedly, "I pay taxes here, in the US and wherever they're due."

As the author of such Seventies prog rock standards as Thick as a Brick and Too Old to Rock '*' Roll: Too Young to Die, Anderson's place in music history is assured. But his appetite for self-management is less well known.

"My interest in controlling my own destiny, artistically and financially, goes back to the beginning of my career when I met Chris Wright and Terry Ellis [the founders of Chrysalis Records]," he explains. "It was a lucky break for us all. As the industry evolved, we learnt the business step by step. Knowing the business side gives you artistic freedom; it's a myth that it emasculates creativity. No artist should be afraid of the commercial stuff, especially these days when there are so many information sources."

Born in Scotland, the son of a hotel manager, Anderson later moved to Blackpool (where he studied fine art), leaving there in the early Sixties with his first group, the John Evan Band, which evolved into Jethro Tull.

"We were signed by the Ellis Wright Agency, who secured a residency for us at the Marquee Club," he says. "Terry and Chris also had a licensing deal with Island Records, having agreed they could establish their own label if they sold enough hits. Getting on John Peel's playlist was our next big break, helping us reach the numbers that Terry and Chris needed to launch Chrysalis."

Over four decades Jethro Tull, under Ellis's initial tutelage and with Anderson at the helm, have assembled an impressive back catalogue, including 30 albums. "We've also performed at over 2,500 concerts in 40 countries, and these days do around 100 concerts a year," says Anderson. A prolific and controversial songwriter (he was one of the first musicians to write about global warming, in the Seventies), he has also produced four solo albums and performs independently with classical musicians.

Regarded by fans as a "Renaissance man" (a label he dislikes), he describes himself as "an eclectic musician dabbling in the witchcraft of jazz and classical, along with folk, taking a bit here and there and turning it into this year's party frock. I know what I'm good at and what I'm not."

A flamboyant stage performer, he is also a master of self-parody; his antics have included strutting around in a codpiece and dressing as a country squire. Stage frippery aside, friends attribute his success to his work ethic and shrewd avoidance of the wilder trappings of rock life.

Anderson, who has just turned 60, is philosophical about his longevity as an artist. "I saw the dark side of rock 'n' roll early on. This can be a soul-destroying and deeply disappointing business. My role models weren't famous or in the game to strut around in dark sunglasses, but were musicians who turned up every day for a gig and worked till the end of their days." Such sobering insights fuelled his determination to learn the commercial side of his industry.

Politically astute, he has lobbied the Government and Gordon Brown in the past five years on the extension of UK copyright laws. "This isn't about making Cliff Richard or Elton richer. It's about protecting the UK's cultural heritage and taxable income to the Exchequer. This country has produced around 40 per cent of the world's greatest music recordings and we shouldn't squander that resource."

Perfectly at ease rubbing shoulders with world leaders, Anderson believes that "... Mikhail Gorbachev got it right when he said that the new oil is water. Nations will be going to war in 50 years' time for access to water."

Similarly, he believes, as resources become scarcer, the issue of over-population needs to be discussed intelligently. "Sadly, the people always hardest hit are the poorest. But you don't need me prattling about this – we can all do our own personal bit for the planet. I leave the campaigning to Geldof and Bono."

Private equity firms are currently hovering over music companies but he is sceptical about the benefits of such deals. He is equally pessimistic about the City's clamour for growth. "Far too much emphasis has been placed on trying to achieve big numbers, on trying to stay ahead by turning out hit singles to the detriment of music publishing and back catalogues. What's it all for – the gratification of a businessman and his pension fund? Most people are content with modest demands."

And, finally, what of the future? "I'm blessed. As a musician you can carry on going as long as your mind and dexterity hold out. Look at Beethoven," he laughs. "But I wish I'd learnt history – we'd never have got our name."

26th August 2007 04:50 PM
fireontheplatter farm on the freeway
26th August 2007 05:03 PM
mojoman kissin willie
26th August 2007 05:11 PM
fireontheplatter life is a long song
26th August 2007 05:15 PM
mojoman no lullaby
26th August 2007 05:43 PM
glencar "Regarded by fans as a "Renaissance man" (a label he dislikes), he describes himself as 'an eclectic musician dabbling in the witchcraft of jazz and classical, along with folk, taking a bit here and there and turning it into this year's party frock. I know what I'm good at and what I'm not.'"

He is indeed a Renaissance man; he's just to stubborn too fess up.
[Edited by glencar]
26th August 2007 06:16 PM
gimmekeef One legged pompous flute sucking .....get the feeling I'm no Tull fan?
26th August 2007 06:33 PM
mojoman
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
One legged pompous flute sucking .....get the feeling I'm no Tull fan?

he is pompous self righteous old codger but damn the man has helped lay down some great music........
26th August 2007 07:38 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
mojoman wrote:

he is pompous self righteous old codger but damn the man has helped lay down some great music........

I agree on everything you said there.
26th August 2007 08:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
farm on the freeway

quote:
mojoman wrote:
no lullaby

Five stars to these songs! Some of the best after their gold period 1968-1971
26th August 2007 09:29 PM
fireontheplatter i saw tull in spring 97

one of the best rock concerts i have ever scene

plays guitar
then plays flute
then he sings and then he plays the guitar again

back and forth

again and again.

at least thats what he did that night.

an awesome 2 hour show

he played all his hit songs

opened with...a song for jeffery
26th August 2007 09:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Check this website I made to honor one of their visits to Mexico City

http://rocksoff.org/jethrotull-mexico2004.htm
26th August 2007 10:00 PM
robpop I nevered cared for the four horsemen.

27th August 2007 03:46 AM
Zack Tull's overrated. I agree with pompous-pretentious line of thinking.
27th August 2007 06:25 AM
jaymze I saw them in 2001. They were quite good live. Have bought some of their CD since then, like them.
27th August 2007 06:42 AM
corgi37 I still chuckle how they got the heavy metal grammy over GnR.
27th August 2007 07:19 AM
Olompali It was the Heavy Metal/Hard Rock grammy and Tull does play some hard rock. I think the win was over Metallica.
I remember reading him being amazed that rock fans got worked up over the Grammies. He was of the notion that they were divided up by clueless farts in tuxedos and bow-ties.
Anderson has a lot of self deprecating Monty Python wit about him. I don't get him being pompous at all.
He's right about the name, Jethro Tull. It is dopey. He should have just used his own all along. He would have been accorded much more respect for far longer.
History will place him as one of the true musical brains of the rock era.
[Edited by Olompali]
[Edited by Olompali]
27th August 2007 08:02 PM
Brainbell Jangler I saw them in 1977 (Songs From the Wood tour). They put on a hell of a show. Anderson is a troubadour. They've put out some fuckin' great tunes; most never get any airplay. I recommend trying the Stand Up album.
28th August 2007 01:17 AM
keefjunkie Tull shreds.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)