ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, 26th August 2007
© Jeep - Thanks a lot!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sympathy for the Devil - on British TV this Thursday Return to archive
20th August 2007 05:10 AM
ArtsWom That classic documentary on the American counterculture of the 60s, Sympathy for the Devil is being shown on the British satellite TV channel Sky Arts Thursday 23rd August at 10pm.

Read more about it here... click this link to the Sky Arts website

I imagine most people reading this have at least heard of Jean-Luc Godard's famed documentary, which features the Rolling Stones in the process of recording the title song in the studio.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth staying up past our bedtime for?

20th August 2007 05:31 AM
Jumacfly Very interesting to see the early Stones working on the song.
Godard has a very special way to film but it's fun to watch, especially when they record the backing vocals
It s also the last moments of a stoned Brian with the band, so you got to see that
20th August 2007 08:11 AM
egon anything non stones in that movie is very VERY weird,
the rest is fantastic
20th August 2007 08:24 AM
corgi37 havent got around to seeing it yet, but i thought it was about the French counter culture.
20th August 2007 05:37 PM
fireontheplatter sure it's worth staying up past bedtime for, but i warn you it is pretty freaking weird and boring.

the only good sensible parts are the ones of the stones recording the song in the studio....classic fantastic footage.

other than that..as i said, its a waste of film.
20th August 2007 05:48 PM
Some Guy get in a solid weeding beforehand.
20th August 2007 05:50 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
sure it's worth staying up past bedtime for, but i warn you it is pretty freaking weird and boring.

the only good sensible parts are the ones of the stones recording the song in the studio....classic fantastic footage.

other than that..as i said, its a waste of film.

Agreed, first time I saw it I was like "that was fucking weird" I then just fast forward to the Stones parts. Keith's glasses are the best.
20th August 2007 06:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
ArtsWom wrote:
That classic documentary on the American counterculture of the 60s, Sympathy for the Devil is being shown on the British satellite TV channel Sky Arts Thursday 23rd August at 10pm.

Read more about it here... click this link to the Sky Arts website

I imagine most people reading this have at least heard of Jean-Luc Godard's famed documentary, which features the Rolling Stones in the process of recording the title song in the studio.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth staying up past our bedtime for?

the Stones bits are interesting I suppose (although the appeal of multiple embryonic takes of the same song pales after a while). The movie that it's intercut with is tedious beyond belief. I like some of Godard's stuff but you're likely to grow a beard watching this.

They gave a DVD of this away with a Sunday paper around this time last year.
21st August 2007 08:30 AM
ArtsWom How can "freaking weird" be boring!?

I've just read up about it a little more on IMDB and it does seem to be something of an eclectic mix - not 100% sure of how the Stones fit into it either. Still, it looks better than 'Ross Kemp on Gangs'...

21st August 2007 02:48 PM
Wide As The Clyde I got the VHS of this as a Xmas present a few years back. When I sat down to watch it in early Jan, my 'insurance man' came round to introduce me to the lady who would shortly replace him when he quit the job in a week or so. (insurance premiums used to be collected in person by CIS. Don't think any insurers do this anymore)Anyway, I asked them both in and the video was still playing. The 'new' lady was a very upright, bluestockinged type. You should have seen her face when the voiceover in the film starts reading the extracts from the 'erotic' novel!! It was almost as red as mine was!
Of course, I immediately jumped on the 'stop' button and started frantically explaining the 'Stones' connection and even pointing out Jagger's picture on the cover, but I still think she reckoned I was well iffy! When my regular guy did quit, it was another fella who appeared in his place, not the lady who I'd damaged with my filthiness!!!

Yes, most of this film has very limited appeal, and even the sections with The Stones were not included by Godard, who was furious at this tampering, and with the film's title being changed for it's US release.
It does, in fairness, contain some brilliant cinematography and there's no denying Godard can point a camera with the best of 'em. 'One Plus One' is very much of it's time, and still tells a great deal about that time.
22nd August 2007 07:13 AM
corgi37 I had a similiar experience with my insurance girl. I was watching Buttslammers 8.
22nd August 2007 10:30 AM
glencar Did Buttslammers 8 feature insurance girls?
22nd August 2007 03:37 PM
Anna where can i download it?? or anybody may upload it, or anything... i can't watch it unfortunately(
22nd August 2007 03:44 PM
glencar You'll have to ask corgi...
22nd August 2007 04:41 PM
Anna
quote:
glencar wrote:
You'll have to ask corgi...

so, corgi can you help me? may you give me a link where i can download it?? or something...
thanks
25th August 2007 02:24 PM
Wide As The Clyde You can buy it on DVD here:

http://eil.com/shop/presetlist.asp?pageID=701&artist=ROL:TDS:MIT

(You'd need to be quick, though. They've only got one left! And I wouldn't call it cheap exactly.....)
[Edited by Wide As The Clyde]
25th August 2007 04:12 PM
Wide As The Clyde Hey Corgi37! Is that a Gibson or an Epiphone?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)