ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, 26th August 2007
© Jeep - Thanks a lot!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Slane Castle, Slane (near Dublin), Aug 18, 2007 - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
19th August 2007 01:22 PM
jaymze
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
No...but the Irish do!!!!!

No we dont!!!!! :-)
19th August 2007 01:25 PM
GotToRollMe You guys were so lucky. "All Down The Line" and "Dead Flowers!" And as Gazza mentioned, "Tumbling Dice" has been absolutely magical this leg of the tour.

Have a great time this week, Stray Cat UK!
In fact, EVERYONE going to London have a BLAST!
Stoneslove on ya!

19th August 2007 01:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Just got home from Dublin. I feared the worst as we travelled down on the bus, in torrential rain ,but weather cleared up for Stones - thank god !

Gazza, we have no idea how we missed you .Flairville,his partner and I arrived in golden A , at about 3pm. We "walked the grid" several times before the place really filled up,but no sign of anyone !We ended up against the catwalk,about 25 ft from the front.

I got to the FOS Area at 4 pm. Saw Albert right away as he'd told me where he was. There werent a lot of people in the area at that time so I was able to do some looking around for many of you on several occasions, to no avail. Saw a few people I know in Gold Circle B at various points en route and from the bar (you were allowed to move from one area to the other) - Dirtyden, Harm from Holland and Davy Bell from Scotland who hung out with GTRM amd myself in Madrid

It'll be easier to find each other Tuesday
19th August 2007 01:41 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Also it was probably the most drunken crowd. As the great Spike Milligan once said, "All over the world, people are dying of thirst - but it seems the Irish were born with one". We'd no sooner stepped off the bus at 2.30 pm and there were scores of people already off their tits. Never saw anyone arguing or fighting, though, everyone seemed in high spirits. That said we did see one pair of guys holding on to each other and staggering around in a way where you'd have thought they were siamese twins who had been joined at the shoulder. One of them was a complete bollocks. In the space of 500 yards, he had managed to almost get himself arrested twice by acting the maggot infront of a police car and then a policeman on a horse and also fall on his arse into a puddle. We were just talking about how much of an idiot he was when we heard this shuffling of feet beside us and looked ariound just in time to see the silly twat staggering and then falling head first into what was probably the deepest and muddiest puddle in the whole of Ireland that afternoon.

i like this part of your review...no doubt, i have been there too. it was at the carrier dome in syarcuse, ny during there 2 shows there [steel wheels]. i was to excited to eat and i guess i was thinking, well jack daniels is good food. i drank almost a full bottle on an empty stomach....let me just say this, it was not good and i had to watch the show with one eye closed. if you know what i mean.

you should have taken picture of this fella...i would loved to have seen them.

carry on.
19th August 2007 01:50 PM
Stray Cat UK Forgot to thanks jaymze for taking the time to come and find me on friday night to have a pint. Hope you had a good day yesterday. We tried to find Bruxelles later, but the rain and drinking on an empty stomach,kind of slowed me down .........if you know what I mean.

sc uk
19th August 2007 02:07 PM
jaymze
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Forgot to thanks jaymze for taking the time to come and find me on friday night to have a pint. Hope you had a good day yesterday. We tried to find Bruxelles later, but the rain and drinking on an empty stomach,kind of slowed me down .........if you know what I mean.

sc uk

Hey!
It was my pleasure. After we eventually found each other -thank God for mobile phones! Yeah we had a great time at the gig. Did not get to meet Gazza and co which was a dissapointment but there was a big crew of us anyway. It was great to meet you and hear your tales of going to see the Stones over the years -especially the story about Cardiff! We just stayed in Bruxelles all night, there were a big group of us there and people were coming and going so it ended up being easier to stay there all night and not move about Temple Bar.

Hope to see you again on the next tour!
19th August 2007 02:08 PM
The Wick Thanks a lot for the reviews. Ronnie has been solid for a while now. What impressed me most when I saw them is how he has really become maybe the best in the world at knowing when to fill in the gaps with some really soulful lines and knowing when to belt it out when needed. It's amazing how tuned in he is to Mick these days.
19th August 2007 02:36 PM
Gazza One of the most bizarre moments yesterday :

Cameras were as usual banned, but I managed to smuggle in my digital by secreting it inside a raincoat which was in a cellophane wrapper and underneath my sandwiches. My mate had a throwaway camera which he also went to some trouble to smuggle in past security.

After all that, we get into the castle grounds, walk past the merchandise stands and there at the top of the hill is a guy standing there openly SELLING packs of throwaway cameras. He must have had about 30 on him.
[Edited by Gazza]
19th August 2007 02:45 PM
steel driving hammer I wanna see my baby Glencar!
19th August 2007 02:49 PM
Gazza RTE news clip from last night :

http://www.rte.ie/

See "video higlights" on the right and click on the 3rd story down
19th August 2007 02:52 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One of the most bizarre moments yesterday :

Cameras were as usual banned, but I managed to smuggle in my digital by secreting it inside a raincoat which was in a cellophane wrapper and underneath my sandwiches. My mate had a throwaway camera which he also went to some trouble to smuggle in past security.

After all that, we get into the castle grounds, walk past the merchandise stands and there at the top of the hill is a guy standing there openly SELLING packs of throwaway cameras. He must have had about 30 on him.
[Edited by Gazza]

we all got to be a lil naughty somtimes.

i still want to see the drunken fella face plant into the mud puddle.
19th August 2007 03:32 PM
Lord (Hetero) Thanks a bunch for sharing the Stones in Salne experience with us in the USA. I felt like I'd been wading through the mud after reading it all. They really sound like they are on fire by now. I will have to get a boot or two form the Euro leg. Also gave me a touch of melancholia, seeing you guys write that this could very well be tha last big show from them.
19th August 2007 03:46 PM
jaymze Here’s my report on the Slane Event!

The Build up:
Got into Dublin late on Thursday night, had a few quick pints with friends. Everyone from the taxi driver to random folk on the streets was talking about the gig. Friday was spent walking about town, soaking up the atmosphere, dodging the rain and spotting Stones T-shirts around Grafton St. Met up with Gearoid (Irelandcalling) at lunch time and went for a stroll in St Stephens Green. We spotted only one celebrity there (Mike Murphy, Irish TV favorite). Gearoid was saying how cool it would be to meet a Stone.
He went back to work and I continued my amble around our capital city.

A few hours later I got a fateful text from Gearoid about meeting a Stone. Mr. Ronnie Wood himself. I was a little pissed off that I wasn’t there but was mega excited for Gearoid to meet him. Gearoid is a massively dedicated fan (he introduced me to the band back in 1995 with a copy of Voodoo Lounge and The Satanic Majesties). He said Ronnie was very genuine and made it no hassle to sign stuff and pose for pic’s. They are elsewhere on the board.

Tried to meet Glencar in Bruxelles at 7pm but could not find him. Sorry dude. I eventually met up with StraycatUK for a pint of Kilkenny. It was nice to chat about gigs of old. Went back to Bruxelles to meet Gearoid and a load of our friends. Spent the night there enjoying good music and posing for stupid phone pic’s. A good night was had by all!

The Day:
Woke up with a sore head but was very excited about the day ahead. It was raining around Dublin while we went for Lunch. I ended up buying a cheap rain jacket…just in case. I got the bus out with various friends. The bus was full of singing, people drinking cans of beer, smoking. They even got the bus to stop for a pee break half way there! We ended up chatting to a very cool lady from The USA, via 20 years in Strasbourg who came to Ireland to see the band on her own. Alicia ended up joining our party until 2am that night! It was really wet on the way out and we were expecting the worst. Thankfully we didn’t see any rain once we got off the bus.

After walking forever we finally made it into the grounds. It was a great atmosphere and had a really special feeling with the castle standing out on the hill, the river running by and the Stones set down the bottom of the hill. I got a beer and an event T-shirt, chatted to some friends who were in general admission and then made my way down front. Gold Circle A was very busy and a bit rough for my liking but it was really exciting too. I thought I would die between 8 and 9 pm, it felt like forever waiting for the band to some on. I turned around at one point to see the crowd and it was quite a scary / exhilarating feeling to see 70,000+ people rising up the hill.

The Gig!
Well what can one say? The band was in great form. I loved the set list, loved the surprises like “All down the line” and “Dead flowers”. It was great to feel the audience reaction, the energy was unbelievable. It was great to hear Mick attempt some Gaelic. His pronunciation wasn’t great but no one cared! Forgot about how much energy he puts into the show, how active he is. I was imagining how impressed casual fans must have been. I was a bit worried about Keith during “You got me rocking” and “Rough Justice” but he really delivered in other songs; “Tumbling dice” was fantastic for example. Lisa really impressed me during “I’ll go crazy”, it’s added something extra. And Mick’s harmonica playing was brilliant too. When they went out to the B-stage during “Miss you” the energy around us changed, lots of pushing by people who saw an opportunity to rush the front barriers. Got a bit scary, there was some fighting and fainting going on but then it relaxed again. Then it was the warhorses and the finale. I was both unbelievably happy to be dancing about and doing my “Mickisms” (finger pointing and vigorous pointing) but was very conscious that it really might be the last time I see them live. Well what will be will be. We left the muddy venue to the deafening sounds of fireworks and “Woo Woo’s”.

The Aftermath:
We walked for about an hour and a half until we got a bus back into town. Got in to Parnell Street at 2am, I’m glad that I was staying with friends that lived about 4 minutes from there. I stayed up until 5am talking about the gig and the events of the day. Felt very tired getting my flight back to the UK this morning but who cares when you can have such a fun packed weekend. Although I feel that I won’t see them again, I’m just very happy to have had 5 chances to see them in 3 different countries over the last 4 years. I just hope I get a chance to see them again.

19th August 2007 04:13 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One of the most bizarre moments yesterday :

[Edited by Gazza]

In Switzerland I was taking a picture of the stage before the Stones went on and the security at the rail started to violently wave her hands and yell for me to stop, that it wasn't allowed. I considered respecting the rule but changed my mind after I saw the same security guard turn around and snap a pic with her camera phone after the Stones went on. It was my cue to go wild with my camera.
19th August 2007 04:48 PM
The jinn, my friend.

Smash!

not so happy

happyafterall

[Edited by The jinn, my friend.]
19th August 2007 05:11 PM
The jinn, my friend.

The bus to Slane (Rolling Stones 2007)

19th August 2007 05:36 PM
open-g Crikey, so Slane had it's own Woodstock...

but judging by the great reports most attendees where satisfied and happy.
19th August 2007 05:41 PM
Gazza Hilarious pics, Jinn

I didnt know you were there! Will you be in London?
19th August 2007 05:46 PM
Gazza

Hermann (Roadster32) and his wife Birgitte, Albert, me and my mate John

with Barking Paul and Princess Margaret from shidoobee. Great surprise to run into her again, plus John and Diane from California.

Hard to get anything good off the video screens as the image changes to rapidly, but a few came out -

B-stage (again we were behind the band so opportunities were limited):

19th August 2007 06:36 PM
sweetcharmedlife Good stuff Gazza.....Next best thing to being there.......Look forward to hearing everyone's London reports.
19th August 2007 06:39 PM
jaymze Hey!

I have a few good pic's that I would like to share on the board. How do I do it? Email them to someone? Let me know please!
19th August 2007 06:50 PM
Gazza If you have a photobucket account, upload them there and then post the link.

Otherwise e-mail them to me and I'll upload them

Do it within the next 24 hours though as I'm not going to have e-mail access from Tuesday for 6 days - otherwise mail them to Voodoo.
[Edited by Gazza]
19th August 2007 07:44 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
jaymze wrote:
Hey!

I have a few good pic's that I would like to share on the board. How do I do it? Email them to someone? Let me know please!

You can use http://flickr.com/

19th August 2007 07:51 PM
tumbled that's how I remember im. what a muddy mess by such beautiful surroundings .. my
19th August 2007 07:56 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Hilarious pics, Jinn

I didnt know you were there! Will you be in London?

Is that sarcasm Gazza?
19th August 2007 08:06 PM
The jinn, my friend. Just a taste...

Rolling Stones @ Slane Castle, Co Meath, Ireland on Sat 18 Aug 07. 70,000 punters sliding around on the wet, muddy slopes beside the River Boyne, but the rain held off as the Stones hit the huge stage. More photos to come.
Joe & Clare
19th August 2007 08:47 PM
pdog Thread and reviews were a nice read... thx guys for bringing to us who are missing the 2007 tour...
19th August 2007 10:03 PM
SweetVirginia Hey, P...you will need to come home (the East Coast) to see our Stones during the soon-to-be-announced US tour.

SV

19th August 2007 10:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
The jinn, my friend. wrote:

Is that sarcasm Gazza?

No!
19th August 2007 11:24 PM
pdog
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Hey, P...you will need to come home (the East Coast) to see our Stones during the soon-to-be-announced US tour.

SV

oh no..... better not be in october or november.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)