ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Discovering the Faces... Return to archive
August 20th, 2004 04:59 AM
Jumacfly Hi there
yesterday night i ve began to DL a few Faces tunes....
as i d like to discover this great band, could any of you give me advice about best albums, live and performances please???
thanks in advance my RO pals, and have a nice week end !!!

julian
August 20th, 2004 05:27 AM
Zeeta I have "A nod is as good as a wink...to a blind horse" and that is a mint album. Too Bad and Miss Judy's Farm rock it!

Amazing, really amazing playing by Woody on this album.

I dont own anything else so this thread could be useful to me also!
August 20th, 2004 05:42 AM
Moonisup ronnie was really hot with the faces, it's a great band,
August 20th, 2004 06:04 AM
Zack The worst thing about the Faces was Rod Stewart. They should have gone with Ronnie Lane on lead vocals throughout. That said, you can't go wrong with any of their four albums. I'll rank them, with their order of appearance in parens. I don't have the box yet but I hear good things.

1. Nod is good as a wink . . (3)
2. Ooh La La (4)
3. The First Step (1)
4. Long Player (2)
5. Snakes and Ladders (best of) has two non-album tracks and is a good overview.
August 20th, 2004 06:07 AM
bez85 Get the box set, "Five Guys Walk Into A Bar". that's all you need....
August 20th, 2004 07:04 AM
Honky Tonk Man The Faces stuff I have heard, I like, but the Small Faces were so much better.

Jumacfly, forget about The Faces for a bit and get the Small Faces best off. You won't regret it.

Alex
August 20th, 2004 07:35 AM
Jumacfly thanks guys!! you rule

I ve always wandered what was the difference between faces and small faces ???

JU
August 20th, 2004 08:11 AM
Factory Girl What is the difference btwn Faces and Small Faces?
August 20th, 2004 08:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
thanks guys!! you rule

I ve always wandered what was the difference between faces and small faces ???

JU

The Small Faces were

Steve Marriot (Vocals, guitar)
Ronnie Lane (Bass)
Ian McLagen (Keyboards)
Kenny Jones (Drums)
So in terms of line up, the only difference is that the Faces gained a new lead singer and a guitarist. Steve Marriott went on to form a band called Humble Pie, which also featured Peter Frampton.

You really should check out the Small Faces. They mean very little outside Britain, which is a crying shame. Unlike bands like The Who, they were genuine mods. A lot of the other so-called Mod bands just wore the right clothes but were not part of the movement.

Steve Marriott had a great voice. Much better than Rod Stewarts. He died in a house fire.

Alex
August 20th, 2004 08:27 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, Alex.

Btw, do the Libertines have a new cd in the works? Will they tour US again?
August 20th, 2004 09:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man Hey FG!

The new Libertines album is out at the end of this month and they have a single in the UK Chart at no 2.

The sad news is that Pete Doherty can't shake off his crack and heroin addiction. He has been booted out of the band and told he can't return until he is clean. He has been to the Priory and even went as far as Thailand for rehab. The band are currently playing live without him, but they can't go on like that and they certainly could never do an album without him. In my opinion, he IS the Libertines.

He is due in court soon. He's facing charges of been in possession of a flick knife.

Anyway, I think the new album is released on 30th August. Just buy it and enjoy it.

Alex

August 20th, 2004 09:52 AM
Zeeta Yeah Libertines new album will be mint I can't wait!

Fuckin love In the interview with Barat when he says:

"taking crack was like inhaling a burning bin bag then having a 15-minute panic attack".
August 20th, 2004 10:15 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, guys. What is the title???

Poor Pete, sounds like he's pulling a Layne Staley with smack and crack. I would hate for another talented young singer to bite the dust.
August 20th, 2004 10:19 AM
Zeeta The Libertines - The Libertines !
August 20th, 2004 10:27 AM
moy listen the live album coast to coast, is great

quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The Small Faces were

Steve Marriot (Vocals, guitar)
Ronnie Lane (Bass)
Ian McLagen (Keyboards)
Kenny Jones (Drums)
So in terms of line up, the only difference is that the Faces gained a new lead singer and a guitarist. Steve Marriott went on to form a band called Humble Pie, which also featured Peter Frampton.

rod and ronnie were also members of the small faces the album "first step" is the only one with them, then they decided to become just "faces"

August 20th, 2004 10:58 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
moy wrote:

rod and ronnie were also members of the small faces the album "first step" is the only one with them, then they decided to become just "faces"

First Step is a Faces album. On the cd, it has Faces, NOT Small Faces. I understand your confusion though. I think maybe it had Small Faces on the original release, but it wasn't the Small Faces.
August 20th, 2004 11:18 AM
moy
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

First Step is a Faces album. On the cd, it has Faces, NOT Small Faces. I understand your confusion though. I think maybe it had Small Faces on the original release, but it wasn't the Small Faces.

first step is an offical "small faces" album it was not a mistake but then they changed the name

the cd has also "small faces" on the cover not just the lp

August 20th, 2004 11:23 AM
T&A With all due respect, HTM, I disagree - the Faces were much better than their SF predecessors. having said that, I agree that the new boxset is "all you need" (play on a Faces tune). It has all the essentials from the legit albums plus over 30 rarities/unreleased trax, including a cool, long cover of Love in Vain. Any true Stones fan MUST have this release.....
[Edited by T&A]
August 20th, 2004 11:32 AM
Jumacfly hey guys i just come back and find a long thread with many cool suggestions!!!!
thank you all!!!!!
i m going to become a Faces expert thanks to you
cheers
JU
August 20th, 2004 11:55 AM
CS
quote:
T&A wrote:
With all due respect, HTM, I disagree - the Faces were much better than their SF predecessors.

But Humble Pie was by far the best of the three mentioned in this thread
August 20th, 2004 12:02 PM
T&A Can't say I know that much about HP's music - got a recommendation on where to start - their Fillmore live album, perhaps?
August 20th, 2004 12:17 PM
Bloozehound don't forget Rod Stewart's first 4 or 5 solo albums, they're basicaly Faces albums, really more of the same...these are good ones to start out with...

Gasoline Alley
Every Picture Tells a Story
Never a Dull Moment
August 20th, 2004 12:25 PM
CS That's one of the best albums to start, The pie was one of the best live acts

Rock On is probably their best studio album also Town and Country but this is their most underrated album, The Sad Bag Of Shaky Jake is one my favorites
August 20th, 2004 12:38 PM
Nasty Habits The new box set is totally phenomenal. One of the best rock and roll collections ever officially released. Great great great. The only kvetch I have with it is that Three Button Hand Me Downs isn't live and Three Button Hand Me Downs live is super genius.

The best live Faces performances I've ever heard are the BBC things, collected on a fabulous CD called That's All You Need, -- BBC 1971-1972. Lots of killer performances, many not on the box.

August 20th, 2004 05:25 PM
Jumacfly thanks everybody!!!
all that sounds great, now it s my turn to play!

cheers

JU
August 20th, 2004 05:31 PM
glencar I have just placed an order for this Faces Boxed Set.
August 20th, 2004 06:18 PM
Chuck Get all the BBC stuff---rockin' raw Faces!
August 20th, 2004 06:42 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Chuck wrote:
Get all the BBC stuff---rockin' raw Faces!

chuck????
August 21st, 2004 09:16 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Chuck wrote:

Wooooooohooooooooo! Chuck is on Rocks Off!!!
August 22nd, 2004 06:55 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Chuck wrote:

thank you Chuck!! still playing keyboards???