ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Does anyone have Prince opening for the Stones? Return to archive
August 19th, 2004 05:03 PM
The Eggman Sometime in the start of the 1980's?

I'd be very curious to hear what he sounded like

"DANCE, MUSIC, SEX, ROMANCE!"
August 19th, 2004 05:15 PM
F505
quote:
The Eggman wrote:
Sometime in the start of the 1980's?

"DANCE, MUSIC, SEX, ROMANCE!"

No but I'd love to see a stage jam with the Stones and Prince playing some Black and Blue tracks....
August 19th, 2004 05:20 PM
Gazza >Sometime in the start of the 1980's?

I don't but there would be plenty of Prince boots Im sure from that era, so it shouldn't be too hard to find out how he sounded live back then.

Prince opened for the Stones at one of the shows at LA Coliseum in October 1981. He only lasted about 20 minutes before being bottled off. I think the sight of a guy in a mac and wearing stockings was obviously a bit much for the crowd's sensibilities.

August 19th, 2004 05:29 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Prince opened for the Stones at one of the shows at LA Coliseum in October 1981. He only lasted about 20 minutes before being bottled off. I think the sight of a guy in a mac and wearing stockings was obviously a bit much for the crowd's sensibilities.

Whenever I hear anything from the Stones 1981 tour I get that " the party has just started feeling " . Indeed , I see Barkers and colored balloons falling down all around me ..............and you's ?!?!

M. Jackyfly !
August 19th, 2004 05:33 PM
The Eggman AWESOME!!!!

Prince being bottled off

-----------------------------------

Hey JOEY!
August 19th, 2004 05:34 PM
The Eggman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Sometime in the start of the 1980's?

I don't but there would be plenty of Prince boots Im sure from that era, so it shouldn't be too hard to find out how he sounded live back then.

Well two guys I guess would be too much

*cough Jagger

August 19th, 2004 05:41 PM
Joey
quote:
The Eggman wrote:
AWESOME!!!!

Prince being bottled off

-----------------------------------

Hey JOEY!

Eggy ?!?!?!

EGGY ?!?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?! Where in the Hell have you been man ?!?!

One thing about you Eggy , you were ALWAYS Minty Fresh and you CERTAINLY knew how to write a post .

Welcome Home My Stonesian Brother !

Jersee Joe !

August 19th, 2004 06:20 PM
Dan A friend of mine taped a song or two. I have it somewhere but tapes are a mess right now.
August 19th, 2004 07:32 PM
Soldatti Talking of Prince, the idea of sell his new album with the ticket shows is a GREAT GREAT idea.
Look the results on the US charts so far:
*3*-3-3-7-16- 8-4-5-6-5-15-64- 8-8-15- 7-9

I think that the Stones can copy this with more great results...
August 19th, 2004 07:43 PM
glencar No, Soldatti, that can't happen again. Prince was quite prescient to do it but in the future the CD's won't be counted unless they are sold for an extra premium over the regular ticket price. What the Sones should do is put tickets options inside their new CD's so real fans can have better access to the good seats.
August 19th, 2004 07:49 PM
Soldatti You are right, but new ideas will be good for the next (with god's help) time.
August 20th, 2004 03:34 PM
Factory Girl I heard Iggy got booted when he opened for the Stones in the 1980s also.

Apparently, he wore a skirt and nothing else.
August 20th, 2004 03:40 PM
Dan I really wish the Iggy show would turn up. He actually had a pretty decent band that tour with Clem Burke from Blondie on drums and Carlos Alomar on guitar.
August 20th, 2004 03:46 PM
Factory Girl Was that around the time he put out "Zombie Birdhouse", which was produced by Chris Stein (Blondie)?

I love Zombie Birdhouse.
August 20th, 2004 05:45 PM
Dan I have no idea what tour that is but I have a nice pro shot from San Francisco and a crummy incomplete audience recording from the Hollywood Palladium.
August 20th, 2004 06:11 PM
Gazza >I heard Iggy got booted when he opened for the Stones in the 1980s also.

yep..in Detroit of all places, when he opened at both shows at Pontiac Silverdome in '81.

Stones fans weren't too tolerant on that tour, it seems! Makes me wonder how they stomached Journey in Philadelphia!
August 20th, 2004 06:57 PM
Factory Girl maybe because Journey wore underpants??? Seriously, in the 1980's, Journey were main stream American arena rock.

I just don't see a typical male Stones fan embracing Iggy, especially sans undies.

Listening to Zombie Birdhouse now-it is an INSANE album.

"Eat or Be Eaten...."
August 20th, 2004 07:11 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>I heard Iggy got booted when he opened for the Stones in the 1980s also.

yep..in Detroit of all places, when he opened at both shows at Pontiac Silverdome in '81.

Stones fans weren't too tolerant on that tour, it seems! Makes me wonder how they stomached Journey in Philadelphia!

I remember we booed the shit out of Journey but it was early in the afternoon & alas, my shouting in that cavernous stadium wasn't enough. That a-hole Steve Perry yapped thanks to us for "Giving Journey the nation's #1 album!" What a turd.
August 20th, 2004 07:47 PM
Gazza When that tour opened, the UK music magazine "Melody Maker" sent a reporter along to review the Stones' opening shows in Philadelphia.

Always remember the glowing reviews and great photos which were the first reviews I'd seen of the tour over here. I also always remember how they summed up the opening act..."but first, a word about Journey - and that word is 'terrible'. Steve Perry sang like a mortally wounded dog". Beautifully put

They were thankfully pretty unknown over here. When I first saw and heard them on TV a year or two later, I thought how that reviewer had summed them up perfectly. And when he's singing, Perry has a face you'd just love to slap. Over and over.
August 20th, 2004 08:01 PM
glencar Even his fellow bandmates couldn't stand him! That opening show was so great I didn't realize until years later. The setlist was amazing but I was one of those who wanted the hits: "Think they'll play...JUMPING JACK FLASH???" LOL If I'd only known!
August 20th, 2004 08:16 PM
Dan
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

I just don't see a typical male Stones fan embracing Iggy, especially sans undies.

Weird since Iggy does a better Mick than Mick. Also Journey was my first ever concert in 1983.

August 20th, 2004 08:19 PM
Lil Brian I prefer Heart, myself. Ouch.
August 21st, 2004 01:55 PM
Soldatti Journey opened for the Stones?

OMG!!
August 21st, 2004 03:37 PM
Factory Girl Yep, Dan, I think you might be right on Ig doing MJ better than the real thing. I don't see midwest US embracing Ig (even in Detroit, their Hometown Boy) sans undies.

It had nothing to do with (great) music, or his (great) presence-he was just too freaky for them at the time.