ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Showtime Airing Beach Boys' 'Smile' (nsc) Return to archive
August 19th, 2004 10:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Showtime Airing Beach Boys' 'Smile'

LOS ANGELES - "Smile," the Brian Wilson album that was famously unheard by the public for nearly 40 years, will be the subject of a Showtime documentary.

"Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of Smile" is in production and will debut Oct. 5 on Showtime, the channel announced this week.

The film will include interviews with Wilson, the Beach Boys' creative genius, and footage of February's triumphant "Smile" debut concert in London.

"'Smile' is the most important piece of music that I ever composed, and I'm thrilled that Showtime feels so strongly about it that they are going to let me tell the story of 'Smile' in this film," Wilson said in a release.

"Smile" was to follow the Beach Boys' groundbreaking 1966 album "Pet Sounds." After carefully crafting the album's multilayered sound, Wilson shelved it shortly before its scheduled 1967 release. He said the songs were "not commercial."

Over the years, "Smile" gained a reputation among fans as the band's lost masterpiece and was hailed by critics at its London debut.
August 19th, 2004 07:17 PM
mac_daddy great news. thanks, ttm.
August 20th, 2004 06:12 AM
Zack Anyone else looking forward to the release of the studio version of Smile on 27 September? I sure am. I've pre-ordered on Amazon.

It's all newly recorded with some recently-written lyrics transitions. It's not really "finished," but the exsiting material from the 72(!) sessions was arranged into a listenable order, a three-part suite. It's going to be great, but the material from 66-67 can't be topped. It sounds completely unlike the Beach Boys or anythng else.

I'm happy to share some of the old material, just send me a pm. Buy the new one in the store though. I'm anxious for old Brian to get his due. It's been a long time.