ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NSC: HSUS Responds to Hurricane Charley (HELP OUR ANIMALS!!!)... Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 17th, 2004 03:53 AM
MarthaMyDear Disaster Alert
8-16-04

HSUS Responds to Hurricane Charley

At 3:45 p.m. on Friday afternoon, Hurricane Charley slammed into the Florida coast.

By the time the sun rose the next morning, the storm had left a trail of destruction and displaced thousands of people. Many were able to take their pets with them when they evacuated. Sadly, many others left their pets behind.

Within hours, The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)
sprang into action. We sent our Disaster Animal Rescue Team (DART) into the affected areas, where they quickly assessed the damage and began coordinating a response with local and state agencies.

By Sunday night, our team of nearly 30 trained volunteers hadbegun setting up an emergency HSUS animal relief center in Punta Gorda, one of the hardest hit areas. Even as you read this, the facility is taking in rescued, displaced, and injured animals; reuniting lost pets with their families; and caring for animals until they can be transferred to local animal shelters.

HSUS-affiliated DART teams are also active in Charlotte, DeSoto, Polk, Hardee, Sarasota, and Manatee counties.

We anticipate a long recovery period from this storm. The Humane Society of the United States will be on the scene as long as we are needed. But you can help, too. Please support our response by making a special donation today. Your gift will help us meet the needs of animals by supporting the work of our disaster response teams--for Hurricane Charley and for future natural disasters.

Please click on the link below to donate. Thank you for caring and making a difference in the lives of animals affected by this crisis.

Donate Now: http://hsus.ga4.org/ct/h1zTbb51oayh/

--------------------------------------------------------------
HSUS Disaster Alert

You've received this special Disaster Alert as a subscriber to Pets for Life or Humane Living.

Privacy Policy: http://hsus.ga4.org/ct/ypzTbb51oayy/

Disaster Services - HSUS | [email protected] | 202-452-1100 |
http://hsus.ga4.org/ct/hdzTbb51oayn/ | The Humane Society of
the United States | 2100 L Street, NW | Washington, DC 20037

You can view this message in HTML on the web if you click the link below or copy it into a web browser. http://hsus.ga4.org/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=2597804

*** Martha ***

[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 17th, 2004 10:00 AM
Joey

Thanks Martha My Dear !

August 17th, 2004 10:21 AM
jb Thanks MMD. These animals are but for the grace of god. You can often tell what a person is truly like by the way he/she interacts with animals. Sadly, many here have never shared the love, companionship , and loyalty of pet ownership. Consequently, there are many bitter fucks who seek to keep ppeople like you, me, and Joey from expressing ourselves and having fun. JNoey and I shall never abandon you or these animals!!! We shall also never abandon , despite the pressure mounting against her by those who seek to drive the Jewish people into the sea!!!This we will never allow to happen as has over 80 atomic warheads and we(), will defend the rights of all people, jewish or not, as well as innocent pets, against evil terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life!!!! Thanks again MMD!!!
August 17th, 2004 11:09 AM
Gazza >we(), will defend the rights of all people, jewish or not, as well as innocent pets, against evil terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life!!!!

you make Gazza almost incontinent with giggles....
August 17th, 2004 11:32 AM
Joey Thanks MMD. These animals are but for the grace of god. You can often tell what a person is truly like by the way he/she interacts with animals. Sadly, many here have never shared the love, companionship , and loyalty of pet ownership. Consequently, there are many bitter fucks who seek to keep ppeople like you, me, and Josh from expressing ourselves and having fun. Josh and I shall never abandon you or these animals!!! We shall also never abandon , despite the pressure mounting against her by those who seek to drive the Jewish people into the sea!!!This we will never allow to happen as has over 80 atomic warheads and we(), will defend the rights of all people, jewish or not, as well as innocent pets, against evil terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life!!!! Thanks again MMD!!!
August 17th, 2004 12:42 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks MMD. These animals are but for the grace of god. You can often tell what a person is truly like by the way he/she interacts with animals. Sadly, many here have never shared the love, companionship , and loyalty of pet ownership. Consequently, there are many bitter fucks who seek to keep ppeople like you, me, and Joey from expressing ourselves and having fun. JNoey and I shall never abandon you or these animals!!! We shall also never abandon , despite the pressure mounting against her by those who seek to drive the Jewish people into the sea!!!This we will never allow to happen as has over 80 atomic warheads and we(), will defend the rights of all people, jewish or not, as well as innocent pets, against evil terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life!!!! Thanks again MMD!!!

August 17th, 2004 01:09 PM
MarthaMyDear And, why does the movie, Crazy People, pop into my head
right now?!?!?! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE!!!
HE!!! HE!!! :P Actually, that is one of my
favorite movies!!! Has anyone ever seen that?!?!?! It stars
Dudley Moore, Daryl Hannah (WHO RULES AND WHO WAS GREAT IN
KB2!!!), etc., and is about advertising and an insane
asylum... lol............... Seriously, though!!! I advise
renting that!!! I just now discovered that I
am missing my VHS copy and this makes MMD cry like
baby but I have hope that I shall find a used copy again, at
some point... It's EXCELLENT!!! Also... Note
to self: Ed Wood starring Johnny Depp comes out on DVD at
the end of this year (that is what the guy who works at the
video store I THINK Quentin Tarantino used to work at told
me since it had some release problems when it first came
out, etc.)... Some lucky people were able to get it at Best
Buy, though... And, note to Gary: I know you must have KB2
by now!!! lol............ I was able to get a used KB1 DVD
for less than ten bucks here and KB2 is out so I'll be
getting that soon... You'll be getting your package soon,
also, ok.?!?!?!

Anyways, time to make a latte and take care, PEACE, and DO
ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!! lol..........
ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 17th, 2004 02:08 PM
Joey
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

Lambchop ......................................

I have been staring INTENTLY at that bathetic , feckless , wussy little avatar of yours for seventy two hours straight now , and words can not POSSIBLY describe how desperately I would like to grab it and cram it up me arse whilst twirling and twirling and twirling your avatar around the inner recesses of me colon thus U- U- U- Uncaking any leftover fecal matter from last evening's Veal Marsala House Special .

Come ........................and Uncake The Joey !

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jersey !
August 17th, 2004 02:23 PM
MarthaMyDear HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! lol........ :P lol...... S
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :P You make MMD giggle
like crazy when you get all tweeked by the Lamby avatar....
HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
HE!!! HE!! HE!!! lol......... :P ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
August 17th, 2004 02:30 PM
Joey
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! lol........ :P lol...... S
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :P You make MMD giggle
like crazy when you get all tweeked by the Lamby avatar....
HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
HE!!! HE!! HE!!! lol......... :P ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***

Hello MMD ..................................

Forgive me , but Lamby's Avatar gets my blood up .

W- W- W- What ?!?! ..............Oh , sure :

J Fly !

[Edited by Joey]
August 17th, 2004 02:35 PM
MarthaMyDear Joeykins, PLEASE rent that movie, Crazy People, with Dudley
Moore and Daryl Hannah!!! I promise you I will post my Who
review later oin this evening, ok.?!?!?! You will just
crack-up NON-FRICKING-STOP!!! TONS of laughs in
that movie...

********** WORD!!! **********

*** Martha ***
August 17th, 2004 02:41 PM
Joey
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
Joeykins, PLEASE rent that movie, Crazy People, with Dudley
Moore and Daryl Hannah!!! I promise you I will post my Who
review later oin this evening, ok.?!?!?! You will just
crack-up NON-FRICKING-STOP!!! TONS of laughs in
that movie...

********** WORD!!! **********

*** Martha ***

MMD ..........................................

I will rent that movie only if you post your WHO HOLLYWOOD BOWL Review this evening ..........

Is this flick better than the movie " 10 " ?!?!

Developing .......................................

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJERSEE JOE !
August 17th, 2004 02:41 PM
MarthaMyDear THAT'S CUTE!!! --->
PUSSY POWER!!! lol.. LOL!!!!!!!! :P WHAT?!?!?! Oh,
sure... lol.. HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
racking-up...

*** Martha ***
August 17th, 2004 02:47 PM
MarthaMyDear Ok.!!! I'll post it (this evening)!!! I saw 10 once and don't
remember it that well but that's probably because I saw it
right when it came out, which was quite awhile ago!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that just about ANYTHING Dudley Moore
was in was hilarious, of course (ESPECIALLY ARTHUR AND CRAZY
PEOPLE) so you very well might like it better than 10,
actually!!! I've seen it a million times and used to have it
on video but I lost it somewhere (?!?!?!)...
NON-FRICKING-STOP-HILARITY and I am NOT kidding!!! lol.......

Anyways, Who review tonight, then!!! Anyways,
ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 17th, 2004 02:52 PM
jb
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
Ok.!!! I'll post it (this evening)!!! I saw 10 once and don't
remember it that well but that's probably because I saw it
right when it came out, which was quite awhile ago!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that just about ANYTHING Dudley Moore
was in was hilarious, of course (ESPECIALLY ARTHUR AND CRAZY
PEOPLE) so you very well might like it better than 10,
actually!!! I've seen it a million times and used to have it
on video but I lost it somewhere (?!?!?!)...
NON-FRICKING-STOP-HILARITY and I am NOT kidding!!! lol.......

ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

Come to Joshy...
August 17th, 2004 03:02 PM
MarthaMyDear
LAUGHING!!!!!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! HEY, TWINS!!! Have a great
day!!! GOD BLESS YOU TWO!!! lol...... HE!!!
HE!!! HE!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 17th, 2004 03:14 PM
Joey
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
Ok.!!! I'll post it (this evening)!!! I saw 10 once and don't
remember it that well but
ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

You have rekindled my " Dudley Moore " cinema history interest MMD and isn't it AMAZING that it took this internet messageboard format to bring that into focus ? Pause there Joey .

August 17th, 2004 04:06 PM
F505 hi Joey

http://www.cdbaby.com/covers/z/o/zoorevue.jpg
August 17th, 2004 04:08 PM
glencar Yeah, Daryl Hannah was great in Kill Bill 2 but she looks like she's had a few drinks in her life. As for animals, who needs 'em?
August 17th, 2004 04:11 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Joey wrote:

You have rekindled my " Dudley Moore " cinema history interest MMD and isn't it AMAZING that it took this internet messageboard format to bring that into focus ? Pause there Joey .

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/13/arts/design/13REVE.html?pagewanted=2

REVERBERATIONS
In Trying to Make Art, Success Can Be as Damaging as Failure
By JOHN ROCKWELL

Published: August 13, 2004

e're all familiar with the idea of being trapped by failure � or fate. There's the grinding poverty into which so much of the world is plunged. But there are also the vast numbers of people with decent jobs who nonetheless feel pinned into lower-mid-level positions that they don't like or don't feel reflect their best abilities, yet to which they are bound by family or financial obligations or simply by the fear of trying something scary and new.

Advertisement

Their bosses may tell them they are really good at what they do, and maybe they are good. Maybe Nathaniel Hawthorne was the best bookkeeper that the Mannings stagecoach office in Salem, Mass., had ever had, and maybe they told him so, repeatedly. But that was not what he wanted to do, and a lot of people in such jobs don't really want to do them, either.

But what about being trapped by success? Being widely admired and richly rewarded for something you do, but secretly wishing to do something entirely different?

I thought about that kind of entrapment the other day when reading about the death of Henri Cartier-Bresson at 95. Think of the name Cartier-Bresson and you think, quite properly, of photography. He was one of the giants of photography, yet it turns out that he nursed a not-so-secret desire to draw, and in the last third of his life, when he could have continued developing his art and overseeing his exhibitions and making money, he jettisoned his photographic career and concentrated on his first love, drawing. Which people politely admired but accorded nowhere near the recognition they had given his photographs. Which doesn't seem to have bothered him one bit.

Cartier-Bresson had the courage, and perhaps also the income, to make the break. Others have not. Think of the endless examples: conductors who either had to curtail their composing (Mahler turning out his symphonies only in the summers, Bernstein diverting his energies away from musicals and concert pieces to conduct) or who may have thought of themselves primarily as composers, but who never attained anything close to the recognition they received on the podium (Furtw�ngler, Walter, Klemperer and on it goes). What will Esa-Pekka Salonen's reputation as a composer look like in 50 years? Or Andr� Previn's? Will Lorin Maazel's opera on Orwell's "1984" next May in London make people think differently of him?

Pop stars want to compose classical music (Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello). So do jazz musicians (Ornette Coleman, Wynton Marsalis). Solo instrumentalists want to conduct (Daniel Barenboim, Pinchas Zukerman); actors want to direct films (Ron Howard, Clint Eastwood) or sing (Russell Crowe). Models want to act, for better or worse (Andie MacDowell, Estella Warren). Authors want to direct (David Mamet) or act (Sam Shepard).

Are there any patterns here? It can't be said simply that hermetic artists want more public recognition. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they go the other way, fleeing immediate glory, as with conductors composing.

One clear tendency is that recreative artists want to create. They want to creep ever closer to the creative center of their arts, making the art that others execute (by acting, directing, conducting). They want control over their own work, but they also, in the Platonic sense, want to move closer to the pure essence of art, the noumena, and escape its distorted outer trappings, or phenomena.

If you think of the arts as a kind of bull's-eye pattern, the center is creation, and the outer rings represent successive degrees of re-creation and enablement. Outside the creators are the performers, and beyond them lie backstage workers of one kind or another, and last are administrators, donors and critics, huddled together on the outermost circle. Those on the outside want to inch in toward the bull's eye.

Quite apart from the need for security, the kind obtained by a good salary or a collegial workplace, success is seductive, and the more successful you are, the more easily are you seduced. Why lock yourself up in some little Alpine cabin (Mahler) when you could be out grabbing glory as a conductor at summer festivals? Why risk failure as a director when you can pull in another $15 million or $20 million, along with points, as the star of yet another mindless action picture (or worse yet, a good one)?

There are various forms of entrapment, even at the bull's-eye. Develop a style, and people expect you to replicate that style, ad infinitum. This can be especially painful for pop stars, as they tour the world, endlessly reiterating their greatest hits, preferably in exactly the same way they sang them on their hit records. But collectors and gallery owners also come to expect the same sort of work from successful painters: "Come on, Pablo � just one more of those blue ones." Airport novelists may strive for seriousness; clowns want to play Hamlet.

Advertisement

Audiences expect the same stylistic signatures from classical composers. Philip Glass changes his instrumentation and musical genres but retains the same motoric Minimalism; he's repetitive in more ways than one. Like Picasso, Stravinsky was another who restlessly refused to stick to one style.

Sometimes, of course, the creator simply chooses to chuck it all. Rossini and Sibelius, with their very different personalities � sunny Latin versus brooding Nordic, to accept the probably valid clich�s � did just that. They stopped composing and didn't do much at all after that (with modest respect for Rossini's "Sins of My Old Age" snippets). Rossini ate. Sibelius brooded. Their admirers were left wondering why more of the music they loved wasn't forthcoming.

The very notion of an "artistic temperament" carries with it the idea of neurosis and emotional extremes. Maybe Rossini and Sibelius quit because they feared they had "lost it," that they couldn't sustain their work at a level that not only the public, but also they themselves, had come to expect. Any writer staring at a blank page knows the feeling � that you're only as good as what you're writing right now, no matter what you've done before; what you've done before can even feel like a crushing burden.

Having adduced Plato, I might as well up the pretension ante with Goethe. Maybe artistic courage (Cartier-Bresson) or neurosis (Sibelius) are part of the larger restless seeking that makes humans what they are and allows them to achieve what they achieve. Faust is often taken as paradigmatic of Western man, and that is usually taken to mean that to achieve, you must sell your soul to the Devil.

But what Faust really embodies, as an Angel puts it in the final scene, is striving itself, however restless, however neurotic. To do our best, we have to be neurotic, even unhappy � the essence of the Romantic artist. The Angel says, "Whoever strives constantly, we can redeem."

August 17th, 2004 04:22 PM
glencar A lot of "reality" TV stars want their own sitcoms. Everyone's a media whore deep down, I think.
August 17th, 2004 04:31 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
glencar wrote:
A lot of "reality" TV stars want their own sitcoms. Everyone's a media whore deep down, I think.

They always did, want sitcoms that is. They're trying to take the shortcut to fame. They may as well undress in public - but it would be a limited audience and wouldn't get national press...

Internet messageboards are the ultimate mediawhore equal access code...way better than standing behind the local news reporter at a murder scene...

August 17th, 2004 04:35 PM
glencar I've been kind of goofy at another board lately. For every song discussion thread, I post "I like this song! It's great!" even if it's total shit. Censorship has done wore me down.
August 17th, 2004 04:42 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've been kind of goofy at another board lately. For every song discussion thread, I post "I like this song! It's great!" even if it's total shit. Censorship has done wore me down.

It is good to fuck with and intercept the desperate psychic energy level being emitted...

why...I'm not sure...but it's fun!

Andy liked feet!

August 17th, 2004 04:57 PM
Gazza >And, note to Gary: I know you must have KB2
by now!!! lol............

You know me too well. It was released here yesterday. I bought it at lunchtime. LOL
August 17th, 2004 05:53 PM
Bloozehound I watched Kill Bill 2 last night, it was kick arse!

the ending was a bit lame, but the rest was great cinema
August 17th, 2004 09:15 PM
MarthaMyDear I was in the video store the day KB2 came out but I want to
possibly wait for the price to go down before I buy it since
I usually stick to my bargain shopping credo...
lol........... I've seen KB1 way too much now... I,
basically, only love the Vivica A. Fox part, which is a
masterpiece... LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KB2 is my
favorite... Another movie I own that I
watched recently is L.A. Confidential... What a fucking
MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A bunch of fucking hotties all in one film!!! WOO
HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Russell Crowe, Kevin
Spacey, etc.!!! And, narrated by THE cool
voice of one Danny DeVito!!! I want a house
like Kim Basinger's in that film someday...

Anyways, some magazines with Uma Thurman will be on their
way in the package to you soon, Gary!!! I'm
surprised you didn't buy KB1 right when the store opened!!!
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
Take care and I'll talk to you soon!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 18th, 2004 08:10 AM
Gazza >Anyways, some magazines with Uma Thurman will be on their
way in the package to you soon, Gary!!!

wow.thanks, Now if it was underwear with Uma Thurman in them that would be even better...

> I'm surprised you didn't buy KB1 right when the store opened!!!

what makes you think I didn't?!!
August 18th, 2004 09:57 AM
Joey
" It is good to fuck with and intercept the desperate psychic energy level being emitted...

why...I'm not sure...but it's fun!

Andy liked feet! "

Waaaaaaaaaaay too much thinking !

Not enough D- D- D- Decaking !

Why ?!?!

WHY ?!?!

Developing ...................... , dear hosts !

August 18th, 2004 11:19 AM
Joey
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

They always did, want sitcoms that is. They're trying to take the shortcut to fame. They may as well undress in public - but it would be a limited audience and wouldn't get national press...

Internet messageboards are the ultimate mediawhore equal access code...way better than standing behind the local news reporter at a murder scene...

Lamby be thinking too much ..............

Joey Turner !
Page: 1 2