ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I got an extra for the U.Garage Fest 2morrow.. Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 13th, 2004 06:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot Attn NYC peeps!

If anyone wants to got to Little Steven's Underground Garage Festival on Randall's Island tomorrow, let me know, I got an extra that you can have.

Lemme know by 8pm EST tonight.

August 13th, 2004 10:14 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

If anyone wants to got to Little Steven's Underground Garage Festival on Randall's Island tomorrow, let me know, I got an extra that you can have.

Who backed out? Wish I could go, but I can't.

Ever find out if the Dolls are going to play or not?

Apropos of nuthin' -

I feel a little funny saying this, but Phish was great at Camden last night. Although I really like their latest album, none of their recorded output really reflects their greatness as a live act. It's not everyone's cuppa tea, but they jam a lot harder than one might expect. I had a great time. Glad I saw them before they hung it up.

Our Pixies tickets came today! Yay!
August 14th, 2004 08:48 AM
Phog Hey, the rest of my Pixies tix came on Friday too!!! Where are you going to see them? I'm gonna hit KC, Lincoln, and Columbia -- three shows in five days. After seeing them in April I know that none of us will be disappointed. Peace.
August 14th, 2004 08:57 AM
Jumacfly Phog is right, Pixies live is a great experience...it s funny to think, each time they begin a song "oh, it s my favorite, cool!!"
and IMHO, Frank Black got the best Rock n roll voice, just after Mick of course

cheers
Julian
August 14th, 2004 10:35 AM
glencar Doolittle was great. I haven't seen them live though.
August 15th, 2004 12:54 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Phog wrote:
Hey, the rest of my Pixies tix came on Friday too!!! Where are you going to see them?

We're seeing them at the same place I just saw Phish, the Tweeter Center in Camden NJ. Which I think sucks, since they're playing cool theaters in a lot of other cities, but I'm just glad I'm seeing them.

I saw them at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster PA in '88 or '89. SS and I were about ten feet from Kim Deal the whole show.

I love the Pixies. I'm so glad they're back.
August 15th, 2004 03:13 AM
MarthaMyDear THE PRETTY THINGS ARE PLAYING!!! I wish I could go but the
drive would be too far (from the West Coast to the East)!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds like a hell of a great time
and I look forward to the review... I've been listening to
Little Steven's radio show now and then for awhile now and
it's the BEST!!! WAY better than that snotty, short, asshole
Rodney Bingenheimer!!! ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
August 15th, 2004 02:43 PM
Factory Girl Who is paying??? SS, check PM.
August 15th, 2004 08:41 PM
Gazza >Ever find out if the Dolls are going to play or not?

dont see why not, Flea. I'm going to see The White Stripes in Belfast in 10 days time and the Dolls and Jet are on the bill. It's confirmed that the Dolls WILL still be playing OK
August 15th, 2004 09:11 PM
LadyJane As posted by TTM in another thread! Sounds like a GREAT show!!

SS...we NEED your review!!

LJ.

Little Steven Campaigns for Garage Rock in NY

By Gelu Sulugiuc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In the '80s, he campaigned against apartheid. On Saturday, Bruce Springsteen guitarist Little Steven furthered the cause of garage rock with a festival that featured the first U.S. performance by glam-punk pioneers The New York Dolls in more than 30 years.

Little Steven, whose real name is Steven Van Zandt , didn't have to convince the crowd at the 12-hour International Underground Garage Festival on New York City's Randall's Island that, despite scant mainstream radio play, garage rock is alive and well.

The fans danced on the muddy ground, braving an approaching rain storm, screaming in delight as New York Dolls singer David Johansen strutted and pouted across the stage, his pink nail polish matching his sleeveless shirt.

After the show, a buoyant Johansen was unable to contain his euphoria about the Dolls playing in their hometown again.

"It was dynamite, man, better than sex," he said. "It's about time I got a little exercise."

The moment was overshadowed by the absence of the band's bassist, Arthur Kane, who died on July 13 at age 55 of leukemia shortly after the reunited band played a few shows in Europe.

"He was a magical man," Johansen told Reuters. "It's sad, but we're doing what he would've wanted us to do."

Garage rock is loud and simple guitar-driven music so dear to Little Steven's heart that he produces a weekly radio show dedicated to it. At first, no one wanted to carry it, but now it plays on 136 stations in the United States.

The festival was a celebration of the genre, bringing together pioneers like The Pretty Things and The New York Dolls and current standard-bearers The Raveonettes and The Strokes.

Bands performed only two songs each with no time for sound check. A dozen go-go girls in brightly colored outfits entertained the crowd between sets.

Iggy Pop (news) delivered the most energetic performance of the day, climbing on a stack of amplifiers to beat his chiseled bare chest like a Tarzan in low-hung blue jeans.

Blues legend Bo Diddley played his signature rectangular guitar sitting down and later rapping over a funky beat to show the young crowd that "I ain't gone yet."

"This feels like 1955 all over again," Diddley told the crowd. "God bless you and God bless rock 'n' roll."
August 16th, 2004 07:32 AM
Factory Girl Thanks for the review, LadyJ. I wish I could have been there....
August 16th, 2004 03:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK, I'm alive, and recovered.

I discovered that standing for 12 hours after a 4 hour drive is very difficult. Then I drove home in a hurricane. I have no idea how I made it out of NYC, but I did.

>Bands performed only two songs each with no time for sound check. A dozen go-go girls in brightly colored outfits entertained the crowd between sets.<

Obviously, whomever wrote this was not at the show. I can only remember 2 bands that only played 2 songs...The Electric Prunes(each song was like 10 minutes long though.) and the Ravonettes(The Dolls were up next and the storm was coming). Everyone else played at least 3 songs, with bigger name acts playing as many as 7 or 8 songs. The Go-Go girls danced DURING the sets, not between sets. And there were 60 of them, rotating on stage 10 at a time...except for Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walking", when all 60 were on the stage.

Lemme get the negative shit out of the way first. The revolving stage broke after Muck & The Mires. If the stage had not broken, each band would have been able to play another 3 or 4 songs each. I give credit to all the drummers...they all had to play on the same kit. Except for the last 3 bands...they all had their own stuff.

The talking heads that Little Steven had as MCs were complete fuckers. I wanted to kill them. Fucking self-important dickwads. If these clowns had been any farther up their own asses they would have disappeared. Kim Fowley...if you are reading this...I hate you. There was some British fuckwit there to, Nick Somethingorother...I hope you choke on a rancid pile of bangers and mash. OH! And Ed "Cookie" Burns...GO AWAY, YOU SUCK. These 3 guys turned a rather good day into a fuckin' chore.

My feet still hurt.

The sound for the first 10-15 bands was AWFUL. Criminal. In fact, they should have let those bands all play again after they got the sound squared away. Once things got set, the sound was pretty good.

Chris Columbus(GAG!) was filming this. Supposedly in 3-D. Why is this a bad thing, you may ask? Well, they kept rolling these huge camera dollies back and forth IN FRONT OF THE BANDS BLOCKING OUR VIEW!!!! I will very probably be in the movie, but more on that later. All I have to say is that the movie better be really fuckin' good. If it ain't, Chris Columbus has a bitchslap coming his way.

Now, you'd think I would have gotten some pretty fucking incredible pics being as I was right on the front rail. And, yes, I indeed could have taken some absolutely stunning shots. I could have taken a shot UP Iggy's left nostril.

Not.

My wife pitched a fit because she wanted to take the camera to a family reunion. I relented and let her take it. She promptly forgot to take the camera to said family reunion. I am currently looking for a good divorce atty. I have not spoken to her since I found that out. I may not speak to her ever again. Disgruntled you say? No, I am extremely gruntled.

Now, the good stuff. And there was far more good stuff than bad stuff. There was even GREAT stuff.

Dave Faulkner from the Hoodoo Gurus came out for the Fleshtones last song and did "I Want You Back" with them. Very cool.

Alex Chilton played with Big Star.

The Fuzztones. The Dictators. HOLY SHIT! Handsome Dick Manitoba invited us back to his bar for post show drinky-poos. Couldn't do it. I will now always have regrets.

The Cynics and The Lyres. Blowed my mind all up n shit.

The Chesterfield Kings...great as always. Bruce came out and introduced them.

Everyone loved the Romantics. Why? Because they fuckin' kill, that's why.

Nancy Sinatra. Pathetic. But in a good way. You know how some things are so unintentionally bad, that it actually turned good? Oh man, what belly laughs we had!

Bo Diddley can hardly play anymore. But he can still sing. His set was pretty good, even the rap thing he did at the end was like Nancy Sinatra, so bad it was good.

Honestly, most every band that came on after about 1pm was pretty fuckin hot. Except for Nancy.

The Strokes were AFTER the Dolls. You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me. I don't dislike The Strokes. But I'm not in love with them either. They did nothing on Saturday to improve upon their standing with me. They were, well, very workman-like. I think their songs come off better live...but Julian about put me to sleep. Especially after seeing the New York Dolls.

The New York Dolls. Yeah it's just David and Syl left. Syl got a little teary-eyed. Johanson was very Jaggeresque. Reed-thin with a Jagger circa '75 haircut. High octane rock and roll baby! They did Jet Boy. I almost had a heart attack. They were just superb.

Oh yeah. The Stooges played. Iggy is a maniac. Ted Nuegent is NOT the Motor City Madman. Iggy is. He is a whirling dirvish of unbridled rock and roll energy. I mean, HOLY SHIT!!! I SAW THE MOTHERFUCKIN' STOOGES!!! I was like, right there, and they were RIGHT FUCKIN" THERE!!! I almost died. No, really. It got really dangerous during the Stooges set. My buddy Chuck got swept away in the seething mass of sweaty humanity. I found him later, unhurt. I must play guitar like Ron Ashton. It is my goal in life. I know 3 chords. If I learn 3 more, I can play like Ron. Did I mention that Iggy is a maniac? Well, he is. Man.

The whole day was pretty overwhelming. I still don't have my shit together yet. You know...like I know I'm gonna be remembering shit that happened for months. They recorded everything, so I hope a nice CD set comes out. And the movie is set for a Feb 2005 release. In 3D no less! I would imagine you can see my handsome face in there somewhere, we saw ourselves on the big screen quite often. I should get paid.

Rock and Roll is VERY alive. Aug 14th at Randall's Island proved that to me.
August 16th, 2004 06:04 PM
Martha First off, let me say I'm glad you are alive SS.

Secondly, your review is righteous.

Righteous indeed!

I can only imagine how many memories you'll continue to retrieve after a day such as that. Please keep us posted on that as you recall them won't you? ;-)

Oh, I think I may now be officially to old to stand for 12 hours....even without a four hour drive tacked on.

Good going! Although, I am a bit jealous about you seeing Iggy...........;-)

Very cool!

August 16th, 2004 06:05 PM
Martha Oh, I'd want to kill those radio fuck-wits too. It's not actually considered a crime is it?

I never listen to the radio anymore. Those people gag me.
August 16th, 2004 07:32 PM
mac_daddy the stooges set is already circulating

you didnt mention it, but how was watt?

i will get on the aforementioned stooges gig at some point, but the seeder included no info - what was the setlist (if you remember)..?

dog
tv eye
funhouse
no fun
dirt
dead rock star
???

glad you had a good time.
August 16th, 2004 09:06 PM
LadyJane Great review, SS.

Read it to Hubby,,,,gave him goosebumps!

Iggy...I've never seen him...I can't imagine the energy. Love that guy!!

LJ.
August 16th, 2004 09:10 PM
glencar http://www.kimfowley.net/
August 17th, 2004 12:38 AM
Sir Stonesalot Thanks for the link G. I sent the fucker a nasty-gram.

You can't believe what a total ass this guy was. His assholishness was shocking in it's extreme nature.

I hope he gets crabs.
August 17th, 2004 06:26 AM
glencar You're welcome. The name sounded familiar but I still acn't place the guy. He looks like an ass though.
August 17th, 2004 07:54 AM
UGot2Rollme he looks like an old fag (and I'm not talking about cigarettes)
August 17th, 2004 11:08 AM
Nasty Habits I'm surprised at you, SS! Kim Fowley has made a CAREER out of being an ass. He was fucking with you. Way to rise to the bait.

Kim Fowley's confrontational egotistical insanity has been getting on people's nerves since before the mid 60s -- dude has been on the scene as long as the Stones.

Wrote tracks for the Stooges, produced the first Modern Lovers sessions, created the Runaways, thereby discovering Joan Jett (yay) and Lita Ford (whatever), produced any number of classic garage tracks and made more than one great throwaway peice of shit garage rock record (specifically the insanely marvellous Outrageous). Wrote frigging "Alley Oop" in the late 50s for the Hollywood Argyles. Not to mention his classic interview in Ugly Things #23(?) which is hands down the funniest and probably best rock and roll interview I have ever read.

I'm sure that he was a totally annoying little prick at the Little Steve Fest, but I'm sure that some totally annoying prickery was needed. From the photos I've seen of all those damn Sopranos up on stage an shit, a little Fowley antagonism and outsize ego sounds pretty healthy and punk rock to me.

But then, I wasn't there. I am so glad you were so I could get your excellent firsthand account. Congrats on seein' the Stooges and the Dolls. What did the Creation play?

August 17th, 2004 11:18 AM
Sir Stonesalot Here is an example of his assholishness:

"What we are doing here today could keep you out of Iraq next summer!"-Kim Fowley

Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAA???????

Some other thoughts about the show.....

The Pretty Things....looks like the Stones are not the only old farts who can still play some rock and roll. They were real good. Do they still play out much, or was this a special situation? I'd like to see a full set by them.

Has anyone seen an attendance figure? I'm guessing less than 20,000. Up until about 5 or 6 pm, you could come and go from the front as you pleased, and had no problems getting back. It looked pretty crowded later on, crowded enough to convince me that I was staying put till the end.

The Mooney Suzuki kicked ass. I'd go see them if they play at the North Star or the Tin Angel.

Here's the big one though.....I sang with Iggy. During I Wanna Be Your Dog, he hopped down offa the stage and came right over to where I was standing at the rail. The crush of people shoved me right up against him. He got to the chorus, yelled "Now I wanna be your dog!", and shoved the mic in my face...so I yelled, "Now I wanna be your dog!"(of course, so did all the other people who were crushing in on us). He then went on down towards the left and jumped into the crowd. The security goons were freaking out. Ig was soon passed up and over the rail, and he then invited everyone up on the stage. The security goons in front of me wouldn't budge, even when tons of people were up on stage. I was screaming at the guys to get out of the way, but they wouldn't move. Fuckers. Still, it was pretty cool having Ig right in your face. You could really see the wild in his eyes. It was like he was a viking berserker or something. And the guy has NO fat on his body anywhere...I mean, his muscles have muscles, his six pack has a six pack! He does look old in the face though. He has the deep crevices of a life well lived. I keep thinking of the pics I could have taken...and I want to cry.

I hate my wife right now.
August 17th, 2004 11:41 AM
Martha Stonesy......You my dear need TWO (his and hers) cameras!

Iggy was crushed up against you and you he???? Incredible! I can only imagine........you be one lucky dog!

Great review in progress, keep it coming. :-)
August 17th, 2004 03:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Rock and Roll is VERY alive.

Best news I've had all day.
August 17th, 2004 03:42 PM
glencar Even a disposable would have been better than nothing.
August 18th, 2004 12:36 AM
Sir Stonesalot I agree G-car. The problem was that she informed me of the family reunion at 4:30am...exactly 15 minutes befor I left for NYC. No time to run and get one, no place open...well, Walmart would have been open, but I don't go to Walmart.

Besides, with my digital, I could have taken 117 pics. All good pics too, because you can delete the shitty ones as soon as you snap 'em. I don't think I could carry 5 of those shitty disposables, and I wouldn't know if the pics I was getting were any good!

The more I think about this, the more I think she did it on purpose. She is evil.
August 18th, 2004 01:00 AM
parmeda
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The security goons in front of me wouldn't budge, even when tons of people were up on stage. I was screaming at the guys to get out of the way, but they wouldn't move. Fuckers.

SS! Have you not paid attention to one of my greatest manuvers in crowd control? Dude...get a cigarette! Light the bastard and start burning those fuckers! Works like a charm...you'll look like fricken Moses parting the masses, lmao

Next time...keep a few tucked away in a pocket.
You'll thank me
August 19th, 2004 12:17 AM
Sir Stonesalot That only works for chicks Parmy.

When guys pull that shit you just end up in a scrap.
August 19th, 2004 08:16 AM
Factory Girl Thank you for the review, Stonesy.

Yes, indeed, Iggy is the man and he gets very sweaty when he works...

And, yes, the Strokes are best live. And, I love Jules Casablancas.
[Edited by Factory Girl]
[Edited by Factory Girl]
August 19th, 2004 12:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot FG...

I think The Strokes suffered from waiting so long to play. I think they enjoyed the backstage hospitality tent for way too long.

Casablancas fell on his ass twice. No, he didn't fling himself down on the floor in righteous frenzy....he just fell on his ass.

However, if I were a chick, I'd probably go for him.
Page: 1 2