ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Vinyl Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 17th, 2004 12:02 AM
Snappy McJack They still release vinyls of the new albums coming out, but usually they are limited edition type deals. It's too bad -- as some have stated, artwork has become mundane due to this.

I saw a vinyl pressing of the Hives latest album with a sticker on it. It's a limited edition white vinyl release. They are about the same price of a CD, maybe even a little cheaper. Anytime a new album comes out that I'm interested in, I try to find vinyl pressings of it.
August 17th, 2004 06:54 PM
CotchfordCat This is great. You people are totally talking my language.

(I am NOONAN McKANE, incidentally. I was briefly a member a couple of months back. I wasn't sure if I could re-register under that name. I probably could. Wish I had. No matter.)

I recall entering into a debate here about bootlegs, and remarking that, for me, part of their appeal lay in the packaging (glossy gatefolds, printed inners etc.), only to be ABSOLUTELY SLAUGHTERED; Condemned as some kind of luddite, and very patronisingly told that: "Music is music. Packaging is just packaging." I'm just glad to see that this outlook doesn't completely prevail on this board.
After all, who would even DREAM of insulting the immortal memory of Andy Warhol by even SUGGESTING that absolutely NONE of "Sticky Fingers"' appeal lies in it's sleeve? No CD reissue of this LP, not even Virgin's 1994 'be-zippered' version, can ever match the statement that is made by the original, twelve inches by twelve product.
Same goes for "Black And Blue", which I see praised earlier on in this thread. Possibly NOT the greatest Rolling Stones LP ever; But that cover! Unmistakeable.
Michael Joseph's beautiful, hand-tinted gatefold photograph in original copies of "Beggars Banquet", too. I spurned many, many opportunities to buy 2nd hand, mono originals of this LP at record fayres and markets for YEARS, because, hey, I 'had the CD. It's stereo. It's 'digitally remastered'. That's better, right?'
Wrong! Especially in the case of Abkco's original 1986 issue! Way wrong! How I kick myself about that now. I haven't seen one in years. (Although I have seen them in private ads from time to time in 'Record Collector'.)
I spent more than a decade collecting the complete works of The Rolling Stones on CD. (Actually, technically this can't be done. Even WITH Abkco's current 'Singles' series, any truly 'complete' collection still MUST include some vinyl.) Although I wouldn't swap my prized locked aluminium box full of discs for anything, (I think it's 47 or 48 CD's in total. Don't quote me, I'd need to check.) I really wish I'd spent the time and money on the vinyl. I'm sure the CD's would be there yet, but I'm not so sure about how succesful any quest I launched for all the black wax would be. (Or if the current Mrs McKane would be all that keen on the funds required!) If you've gottem, cherish 'em.

(For the record (pun intended), original vinyl LP's I do own are:
STICKY FINGERS, BIG HITS (HIGH TIDE &...), THROUGH THE PAST..., STILL LIFE, TATTOO YOU, STEEL WHEELS.

As a footnote, can I add: Someone earlier mentioned '180 gm vinyl' copies of the albums, which I suspect may refer to Abkco's recent issues of it's Stones catalogue. Personally, I'd avoid these, sourced as they are from inferior masters (the same ones, I believe, that the 1986 CD's are from), and try to go instead for Abkco's last 'contemporary' issues of the LP's, which more or less co-incided with the first batch of CD's. Paradoxically, these were the last issues on any format (prior to the recent 'SACD' remakes) to be sourced from the 'original masters'.
August 17th, 2004 09:44 PM
Soldatti I never saw the vinyl of Through The Past Darkly!
August 18th, 2004 07:00 AM
CotchfordCat That's the one with the octagonal sleeve.....
August 18th, 2004 09:38 PM
Kjell
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

mine doesn't have So Young on it

there are at least to versions

838446 2,Love is strong/Teddy Reiley Ext mix/Reiley dub mix/Reiley rock remix/The storm,USA,1994
892507 2,Love is strong/The storm/So young/Love is strong(clearmountain remix),Holland,1994
August 18th, 2004 10:04 PM
Soldatti
quote:
CotchfordCat wrote:
That's the one with the octagonal sleeve.....

Yes, but I never saw it on my country...
August 18th, 2004 10:05 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Kjell wrote:
there are at least to versions
2,Love is strong/The storm/So young/Love is strong(clearmountain remix),Holland,1994

That's my single version...
August 19th, 2004 01:38 AM
Egbert Here's an interesting and thorough review of the audio quality of various Stones album pressings for you vinylheads out there:

http://www.musicangle.com/

Search for "Rolling Stones" and see the 4-part "Round And Round" series.
August 21st, 2004 05:06 AM
Kjell If anybody want vinyl i got a shitload
just tell me what you want
email : [email protected]
August 21st, 2004 05:29 AM
Moonisup
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

The last albums have been also released in LP format, not sure about 40 Licks but sure about No Security, B2B, VL, etc

I've read a while ago, that someone had 40 licks on LP, but never seen it in a store, I think it's pretty rare
August 21st, 2004 07:46 AM
Kjell
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

I've read a while ago, that someone had 40 licks on LP, but never seen it in a store, I think it's pretty rare

Nobody got a vinyl 40 licks
This is the last four vinyls all double LP's and made in UK

V 2750,Vodoo Lounge(gatefold out cover),1994
V 2801,Stripped,1995
V 2840,Bridges to Babylon,1997
V 2880,No security,1998

which i all - by a coinsident- have for sale
cheers
[Edited by Kjell]
August 21st, 2004 09:09 AM
full moon Just bought a "sealed " copy of Undercover off Ebay.....$14.99. That doesn't seem to bad for a brand new copy......
August 21st, 2004 01:39 PM
F505
quote:
full moon wrote:
Just bought a "sealed " copy of Undercover off Ebay.....$14.99. That doesn't seem to bad for a brand new copy......

Yes but a lot of money considering it is Undercover...
August 21st, 2004 02:11 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Here's an interesting and thorough review of the audio quality of various Stones album pressings for you vinylheads out there:

http://www.musicangle.com/

Search for "Rolling Stones" and see the 4-part "Round And Round" series.

EXCELLENT Link. Thanks much.

August 21st, 2004 02:14 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the link!
Page: 1 2