ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Vinyl Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 5th, 2004 10:54 PM
full moon Vinyl is great. Anyone else agree? The big artwork, the whole ritual of taking the record out of the sleeve , wiping it down, dropping the needle and the snaps, pops, crackles.... What a warm , full sound.. I saw Exile and Some Girls on " special 180 gram vinyl" on Ebay. Did they do this on any other Stones albums??
August 6th, 2004 05:17 AM
UGot2Rollme I agree vinyl sound is superior to CD's. You can't beat analog - closest to hearing it live. I don't know about vinyl reissues.
August 6th, 2004 07:16 AM
Gazza >Vinyl is great. Anyone else agree? The big artwork, the whole ritual of taking the record out of the sleeve , wiping it down, dropping the needle and the snaps, pops, crackles.... What a warm , full sound.. I saw Exile and Some Girls on " special 180 gram vinyl" on Ebay. Did they do this on any other Stones albums??

part of the ritual of going to a friend's house with a few beers and records on a saturday night was grabbing a few albums and sticking them under your arm, always making sure that there was a "cool" one with a great cover as the top one to attract attention when you were en route.

It's not the same with Cd's and I also think that the art (if you excuse the pun) of innovative album covers has been lost as there's now less imagination put into them simply because you wont get the same detail on a CD cover as you do an a 12' vinyl album cover.
August 6th, 2004 10:24 PM
full moon I think I will get Black N Blue first... Hot Stuff...... Burning one down in Chi-town......
August 6th, 2004 11:01 PM
beer i totally agree Gazza. there's just somethin about vinyl that's so much better. The whole idea of an album being Side 1 and side 2, the pacing and the spacing of certain songs. And the sound can't be beat. That is how the Stones were meant to be heard. The needle in the groove. Tattoo You and Sticky Fingers on vinyl,are the epitome of the best guitar sounds in RnR. I've had the same record player for 14 years, and it's still alive and kickin!
August 6th, 2004 11:49 PM
BILL PERKS I CHERISH THE INNER COVER ART FOR STILL LIFE.MY FAV STONES PICS
August 6th, 2004 11:51 PM
beer Perks, Keef looks truely evil in those inside Still Life pics!
August 8th, 2004 03:19 AM
Yyteri Beach I agree. LP always beats CD.

I have laughed my a**e off since the eighties when they first promoted CD's as a format that lasts forever and you can handle them without any care. What a load of bull.
You have to handle them the same way you handle LP's.
One wee scratch and the whole CD is gogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogone.
Sorry that was my CD player...

And some CD mixing's are awful. The original touch of the songs are gone.
The best way to listen early Stones/Beatles is to put an original mono LP on the turntable and enjoy. I like Aftermath mono version better (those early stereo mixings are horrible with drums on one speaker and guitars on other and so on...)

And LP's also last longer.
LIFE CYCLES:
Cassette: approx. 10-15 years
CD: approx. 30-50 years
LP: forever

Hopefully bands will release more LP's.
I rarely listen CD's at home. It's always LP.

LONG LIVE LP....
August 8th, 2004 04:47 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Vinyl is great. Anyone else agree? The big artwork, the whole ritual of taking the record out of the sleeve , wiping it down, dropping the needle and the snaps, pops, crackles.... What a warm , full sound.. I saw Exile and Some Girls on " special 180 gram vinyl" on Ebay. Did they do this on any other Stones albums??

part of the ritual of going to a friend's house with a few beers and records on a saturday night was grabbing a few albums and sticking them under your arm, always making sure that there was a "cool" one with a great cover as the top one to attract attention when you were en route.

It's not the same with Cd's and I also think that the art (if you excuse the pun) of innovative album covers has been lost as there's now less imagination put into them simply because you wont get the same detail on a CD cover as you do an a 12' vinyl album cover.

lol. Yeah, you had to have a good album under your arm for view letting people know in that seventies way...."Yeah I know good Tunes and I am off to listen to some, see".
Vinyl sound really good. Alot better than regular PCM stuff.
However SA-CD is a nice play along those lines. So much detail and life to SA-CD. Just listened to Love in Vain and Midnight Rambler (acoustic version of coarse) from Let it Bleed today. I had it up not too high but high enough to get the good sound picture. I closed my eyes in the middle of the stereo image and was thinking to myself, "wow, how lifelike and live sounding". SA-CD is really detailed, balanced, life-like, and much warmer than normal PCM style CD's. I am hoping their next album is a SA-CD/PCM hybrid like the remasters so the Stones and their instruments jump right out at you.
Ian
August 15th, 2004 10:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Almost all the Stones albums have been released in 180 g vinyl by ABKCO, EMI, and VIRGIN

The last albums have been also released in LP format, not sure about 40 Licks but sure about No Security, B2B, VL, etc

The Exile 180 g version has also the 12-postcards and is a replica of the original album

There's a few available HERE
August 16th, 2004 12:04 AM
Soldatti I saw few weeks ago the vinyl of Black And Blue on a store.
Is the most amazing artwork that I saw on my life: the size, the feeling of having it in my hands...
Amazing
August 16th, 2004 06:49 AM
glencar Even though I don't play the vinyls anymore they are nice to ahve around. Like Joey!
August 16th, 2004 10:19 AM
F505 The artwork of vinyl is much better. Almost all the original Stones LP's had great covers. Exceptions: (there we go again) Dirty Work, Undercover (both horrible) and Steel Wheels. Unfortunately the Stones, with the exception of Stripped, left the concept of self portraits on their last albums...
August 16th, 2004 12:08 PM
Nasty Habits Vinyl remains the ONLY way to listen to rock and roll. My favorite Stones pressing I own is a mint original mono of England's Newest Hitmakers (with photo). Every time I put it on (and I put it on way more and often drunker than one should handle a $500 LP) it sounds like a bomb going off. Not Fade Away and Carol break windows. The guitar on King Bee knocks out my guts, and them whistles on Walking the Dog scare my own pooch to death. Vinyl IS reality. It is a beautiful, beautiful medium.

August 16th, 2004 01:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
F505 wrote:
The artwork of vinyl is much better. Almost all the original Stones LP's had great covers. Exceptions: (there we go again) Dirty Work, Undercover (both horrible) and Steel Wheels. Unfortunately the Stones, with the exception of Stripped, left the concept of self portraits on their last albums...

The cover of Undercover is great on vinyl, a little pedestrian but is cool!
August 16th, 2004 03:19 PM
Nasty Habits The cover of Dirty Work is INFINITELY preferable on vinyl, specif without the shrinkwrap removed. There was a red tinted shrink wrap on the covers to Dirty Work that very effectively disguised the awful noxiousness of the clothes the Stones are wearing. The Dirty Workout's green and pink dayglo colors are positively painful to look at in the 12 x 12 format, underlying the essential painfulness of the album experience and the cover's exterior sticker is to say the least a masterpiece.

see below . . .
!
!
!
!
!
V
August 16th, 2004 03:21 PM
Snappy McJack It's cool how they described the "lean, mean hits" without even mentioning the two singles from the album! Nice!

My copy does not have the red shrinkwrap anymore --
August 16th, 2004 03:25 PM
glencar I think Steel Wheels was the first Stones album I bought in CD format only. I have BTB & the inferior VL on vinyl. VL is hurt even more by the absence of "Mean Disposition" which is pretty damned good for a late Stones mid-tempo rocker.
[Edited by glencar]
August 16th, 2004 03:27 PM
Soldatti Well, "Had It With You" was the B-side of the first single and "Winning Ugly" was a Top 10 hit on the Mainstream Rock Chart.
August 16th, 2004 03:27 PM
Snappy McJack I've never tried peeling off the stickers from the Undercover LP. Has anybody done that?
August 16th, 2004 03:28 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
I've never tried peeling off the stickers from the Undercover LP. Has anybody done that?

It was one of the first vinyls that I had and tried to peeling off the stickers for years!!!
August 16th, 2004 03:29 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
"Winning Ugly" was a Top 10 hit on the Mainstream Rock Chart.

August 16th, 2004 03:31 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

It was one of the first vinyls that I had and tried to peeling off the stickers for years!!!

I was at a record shop and saw an Undercover LP with a sticker of a dog's face on the female's breasts. I thought that was kind of funny. My copy doesn't have that one on it.
August 16th, 2004 07:51 PM
Soldatti I saw the same Undercover with the dog on a store a months ago, but I got another with others things.
How many covers variatios got this album?
August 16th, 2004 08:59 PM
stonedinaustralia my favourite vinyl stones possessions are

original Aus. pressing of Exile - with the postcards

a vinyl 45 (mint) of harlem shuffle - Had it with You is B- side

I also have original vinyl of Aus. releases of The Rolling Stones EP and 5x5
August 16th, 2004 09:09 PM
glencar I have most of the late 70's-to-early 90's singles. Most are on vinyl but some are CD singles, especially the Flashpoint singles. The vinyls mostly have picture sleeves.
August 16th, 2004 09:53 PM
full moon I just got Black N Blue on vinyl off of Ebay. It was pressed made in Holland and the vinyl is blue. Pretty cool......
August 16th, 2004 09:58 PM
Bloozehound Few months back I bought a used Love is Strong cd single, it has 4 versions of LIS, 3 are hip-hop remixes, each gets substantually worse than the one before it. What a waste of 7 bucks.
August 16th, 2004 10:06 PM
Soldatti The CD single of "Love Is Strong" is the best that I have and the single most played for me.
Love Is Strong / The Storm / So Young

3 tracks with 2 B-sides!

The UK single of Visions Of Paradise single is good too, the two B-sides are better than all the songs on the album.
August 16th, 2004 10:49 PM
Bloozehound
mine doesn't have So Young on it
Page: 1 2