ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks Angie!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What? Oh sure..Another drinking Thread...Part 6 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
August 14th, 2004 07:59 PM
LadyJane Gyps...we need a Saturday night drunkenchibachatathon.

Check your e-mail.

Too bad we can't do a massive RO conference call.

LJ.
August 14th, 2004 08:03 PM
gypsy I just e-mailed you! Yes, tonight is perfect for a major bitchathon.
August 15th, 2004 09:32 AM
Some Guy
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Some Guy, I miss your Van Halen avatar.

LJ, I just sent you an e-mail. Hope you get it.

During the big avatar crackdown a while back. I thought I had to change. If its cool it will return, I hope one day.
Peace
August 15th, 2004 09:33 AM
Some Guy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Congrats SG!!! Good for you! I wish I had your willpower!

Your liver is thanking you...mine on the other hand is going

LJ.

Thank you so much!
August 15th, 2004 12:36 PM
LadyJane Dear God...I am soooooooooooo hungover. Stayed up ALL night watching Stones videos whilst crying about Charlie's illness.

I was hoping it was all a bad dream. Alas, it is not.

I'm too old for this!! Bed at 6:00 a.m.

LJ.
August 15th, 2004 01:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Dear God...I am soooooooooooo hungover. Stayed up ALL night watching Stones videos whilst crying about Charlie's illness.

Well it's sad but he'll be allright. He can and is getting the best medical attention. I'd prefer to save my tears for the poor obscure child or "soldier" dying abandoned on a junkyard somewhere.
August 15th, 2004 01:18 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well it's sad but he'll be allright. He can and is getting the best medical attention. I'd prefer to save my tears for the poor obscure child or "soldier" dying abandoned on a junkyard somewhere.

Oh please....TTM. I cry PLENTY of tears for obscure children and soldiers. I had the "pleasure" of greeting/registering a 12 year old MOTHER in my clinic on Friday. She is mentally challenged and her baby is the product of rape.

He'll be all right?? We can only hope and pray. Cancer has robbed me of so many loved ones....I'm scared for Charlie. I'm scared that the band that I love with every fiber of my soul may lose its MVP.

Dammit...I thought I was "out of tears". Guess not!

LJ.
August 15th, 2004 01:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Oh please....TTM. I cry PLENTY of tears for obscure children and soldiers. I had the "pleasure" of greeting/registering a 12 year old MOTHER in my clinic on Friday. She is mentally challenged and her baby is the product of rape.

He'll be all right?? We can only hope and pray. Cancer has robbed me of so many loved ones....I'm scared for Charlie. I'm scared that the band that I love with every fiber of my soul may lose its MVP.

Dammit...I thought I was "out of tears". Guess not!

LJ.

Cheer Up! It's going to be allright.

August 15th, 2004 02:06 PM
nankerphelge Yes it is.

What a screwy day -- nothing went as planned!

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow...
August 15th, 2004 02:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
-- nothing went as planned!

Well, when does it ever? If things went as planned we'd still be in the Garden of Eden. Even God fucks some things up.
August 15th, 2004 03:48 PM
LadyJane Thanks guys!! I feel better, but I'm gonna worry..it's my nature. Plus..you guys know I lost a beloved Aunt to Cancer last year. It will be one year on Monday. So this weekend has been filled with bad/sad memories.

I agree, Nanky. It IS a screwy day..it's been a screwy few days for me. Damn that Friday the 13th..it's carried it's wrath through the weekend.

But..tomorrow is another day!!!

Now the REAL question is....will LJ drink tonight? Hmmm..she's hungover as hell and at the moment is drinking a large glass of water and a chocolate espresso milkshake.

LJ.

PS...Good news...as of this a.m. I have now lost a total of 90 lbs.!!! You CAN lose weight and still drink!
[Edited by LadyJane]
August 15th, 2004 04:16 PM
parmeda
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
HOUSTON (AP) -- Todd Krampitz's message to the world is simple: He needs a liver to save his life.

But the methods he is using to deliver his plea are unique, employing all the characteristics of a multimedia advertising blitz, including billboards, a Web site, a toll-free number and media interviews.

The two billboards, acquired at a large discount, along one of Houston's busiest freeways each announce "I Need A Liver -- Please Help Save My Life!" The Web site offers Krampitz's story and a flier to print out and post.

Krampitz, 32, was diagnosed in May with liver cancer and by July his doctors said only a transplant would save his life. He is hoping for a directed donation, meaning a family would ask that their loved one's harvested liver go to Krampitz.

Hey Nanky...here's a recap on your story

BILLBOARD AD PAYS OFF AS MAN GETS TRANSPLANT
August 15, 2004
Chicago SunTimes - BY JUAN A. LOZANO

HOUSTON -- A man who used a billboard to plead for a healthy liver was recovering Friday after receiving a donated organ in transplant surgery.

Officials at Methodist Hospital in Houston said Todd Krampitz, 32, was in the intensive care unit after successful surgery overnight.

Krampitz, a newlywed, was diagnosed in May with liver cancer, and by July, his doctors said only a transplant would save his life.

His family mounted a media campaign, including two billboards along a Houston freeway, and a Web site that detailed his plight and raised awareness about organ donation. Krampitz and his wife, Julie, also did national media interviews.

In a statement, Julie Krampitz said ''a generous family'' donated the organ, and that it was given specifically for her husband.

The donor was from out of state, but no other information was being released, said Catherine Graham, a spokeswoman for the organization that coordinated efforts to bring the liver to Houston after it became available Thursday morning.

Graham did not know when the donor died.

''The donor is not seeking publicity. The family is in mourning at this time,'' she said.

Officials with the United Network for Organ Sharing, which coordinates the nation's transplant system, believe public pleas for directed donations run the risk of bypassing the established allocation system and can create an uneven playing field for all individuals on the national waiting list for organs.

Julie Krampitz said she and her husband want to continue encouraging all individuals to discuss organ donation with their families.

''Organ donation truly is the gift of life,'' she said. ''We are excited that our efforts to find a donor for Todd have served to increase public awareness of the tremendous need for organ donation nationwide.''

The liver is the second most commonly transplanted major organ, after the kidney, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing. As of July 30, there were 17,471 people nationwide waiting for a liver transplant. Last year, 5,671 liver transplants were performed in the country.

AP
August 15th, 2004 06:22 PM
glencar I hate people who cut in line.
August 15th, 2004 06:29 PM
Some Guy LJ, that is awesome news about your weight loss, keep up the great work!
August 15th, 2004 06:54 PM
glencar 90 pounds? Wow. Good work & good luck in maintaining it.
August 16th, 2004 08:34 AM
egon as i can't pray, i'll be drinking to charlie's health tonight.

and i hope that the hangover i'll have 2morrow equel's his recovery, cos then he'll be alright.

And it'll only be the finest stuff tonight charlie!
August 16th, 2004 09:06 AM
nankerphelge From CNN:

MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) -- Miller Brewing is celebrating the "50th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll" with eight commemorative beer cans that feature Rolling Stone cover shots of Elvis Presley, Blondie and others.

What's missing, some say, is a black artist.

Robert Thompson, a professor of pop culture at Syracuse University, called the absence "beyond conspicuous," because black artists often are credited with inventing rock 'n' roll.

"It would be like doing a set of cans of six great Impressionist painters and not including any French people on it," he said. "It leaves out an enormous amount."

The promotion, which ties rock's anniversary to Presley's debut at Sun Studios, also depicts Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Willie Nelson, as well as the guitars of Eric Clapton and Joe Walsh, on cans being issued this summer by the brewer and the magazine.

Gary Armstrong, chief marketing officer for Rolling Stone publisher Wenner Media, said race wasn't a consideration when choosing the artists.

"We didn't even consciously think pro or con, the same way that the only woman on there is Blondie. We just went with the people that we thought were appropriate," he said. "We went through (the covers) and said these people we don't think are appropriate, or wouldn't appeal to Miller drinkers."

Miller spokesman Scott Bussen said the company started with a broad wish list, but its choices were limited to Rolling Stone covers.

"I'm sure that our objective was to get as diverse a representation of musical acts as well as diversity," he said.

Armstrong noted that Rolling Stone wasn't around for the birth of rock 'n' roll -- it debuted in 1967, years after many formative black artists of the genre emerged. And some artists who appeared on its covers balked at being associated with a promotion involving alcohol, he said.

"These are the artists that gave us approval to use their images on the beer cans," Miller spokeswoman Molly Reilly said.

Six of the initial 10 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland in 1986 were black, including Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles and Little Richard.

The Hall of Fame, which is throwing a summer concert series sponsored by Miller Lite, declined to comment on the cans. Todd Mesek, the hall's senior marketing director, called African heritage "critical" to rock's development.

"Arguably all rock 'n' roll came from, or at least was greatly influenced by, African culture," Mesek said. "Rock 'n' roll came from R&B, jazz, folk. All those genres before rock 'n' roll came together to birth rock 'n' roll."

William McKeen, chairman of the University of Florida journalism department and editor of the book "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay," called the list strange.

"I look at rock 'n' roll in racial terms. Rock 'n' roll is black America meeting white America," McKeen said. "It's about the merger of white people's music -- country -- with black people's music -- rural blues.

"I mean, sure, you can argue that Elvis opened the door, but then Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Bo Didley came through," McKeen said.

Armstrong said each artists shown represents developments in rock history. For instance, Willie Nelson represents Americana and rock's roots, while Alice Cooper is "stadium rock and shock."

The artists weren't paid to appear on the cans, although some received perks such as free beer or magazine subscriptions, Armstrong said.

He said he hasn't heard anything negative about the promotion, which is running in conjunction with three Rolling Stone special editions: rock immortals, moments and photos. In the immortals edition, 20 of the 50 rockers are black.

Black rocker Lenny Kravitz has criticized the use of the 19-year-old Presley's first Sun Studio recording as rock's birth date, saying it leaves out the true pioneers. Kravitz's agent did not respond to an interview request.

Thompson said everyone has an opinion when it comes to rock, and maybe the cans were meant to generate buzz more than anything else.

"My guess is a lot of people will have a lot to say about this list," he said. "Oftentimes that's the point."
August 16th, 2004 10:44 AM
Joey

Nanky !!!! ... Very " Howard Carterish " there ................
August 16th, 2004 02:01 PM
Bloozehound I take my beer drinking very seriously, and I like Miller as far as domesticly, mass produced swill goes, but Miller screwed the pooch on this one. These artists they chose to celebrate for their rock n roll commemorative cans is ridiculous, and just plain idiotic.

Yeah, no doubt there's a lack of critical, black r&r artists, but WTFs up with the ones they did choose in their favor...

Elvis Presley, Blondie, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Willie Nelson, and the guitars of Eric Clapton and Joe Walsh.

Willie Nelson ? Roots rock my ass. This doesn't even need explaination.

Blondie ? Now I dunno about you, but when I think rock n roll, my mind just screams Blondie!

Bon Jovi AND Def Leppard ?

One of them would have been bad enough, but both get a can. WTF are they supposed to represent anyways, the death of rock n roll ?

Elvis is the only, true rock n roll artist here that makes any sense. The inclusion of Alice Cooper, Clapton and Walsh's guitars are subject to debate.

And no lip and tongue logo or glimmer twins to be found ?

Who are the pinheads that picked these artists ? Is Miller trying to rewrite musical history ? This is baffling. This is a mockery. This is indecent. This is criminal. BOO!! Chiller Lite
August 16th, 2004 03:15 PM
glencar Look for Joey to get a complete collection of these mugs!
August 16th, 2004 03:47 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
glencar wrote:
Look for Joey to get a complete collection of these mugs!

Why ? I didn't notice any mention of WHAM! or Boy George cans.

However, it wouldn't shock me if there were, lol

[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 16th, 2004 03:48 PM
glencar Joey's a HUGE Bon Jovi fan from the "Slippery When Wet" era.
August 16th, 2004 04:27 PM
Some Guy I once used some Bon Bovi shampoo
August 16th, 2004 04:46 PM
glencar Surely not to wash your hair?
August 16th, 2004 04:48 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joey's a HUGE Bon Jovi fan from the "Slippery When Wet" era.

Why ?!?!

WHY ?!?!
August 16th, 2004 04:56 PM
glencar Carly made me do it.
August 16th, 2004 05:05 PM
Some Guy Is the drinking thread played?
August 16th, 2004 05:10 PM
glencar Nope, not for those who still imbibe.
August 16th, 2004 05:38 PM
nankerphelge We have a big deadline at work this Thursday.
Once that is met, I may singlehandedly take this drinking thread past 500 posts!
August 16th, 2004 08:01 PM
stewed & Keefed It's been a rum and coke night
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17