ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 29th August
© Paulywaul, thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Probe after Smoking Stone lights up Return to archive
27th August 2006 04:20 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Probe after Smoking Stone lights up at Hampden

MURDO MACLEOD AND RICHARD GRAY
Scotman.com
Aug 27, 2006

YOU can't always get what you want - not even a cigarette at Hampden Park. Keith Richards, the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist, may have fallen foul of Scotland's smoking ban after lighting up on stage in Glasgow.

The city council has confirmed it is investigating reports that Richards smoked throughout the gig at Hampden Park on Friday, which was attended by 50,000 fans.

Richards, who has twice been charged for hard drugs offences, could be fined £50 if he is found to have contravened the ban, which was introduced earlier this year to combat the effects of passive smoking.

Hampden Park, which introduced its own smoking ban in January, could even be fined if officials prove the venue failed to enforce the law.

One fan said: "I was quite near the back, but I could see that Keith Richards had something white in his mouth and there was smoke coming from his mouth.

"He kept smoking through the set, so it wasn't just for effect. He had it in his mouth while he was playing."

A spokesman for Glasgow City Council could not confirm if any official complaints had been received but said: "This has been brought to our attention and we will look into it. Glasgow City council takes its responsibility for enforcing the smoking ban very seriously. "

No one was available for comment at Hampden Stadium yesterday.

A spokesman for the anti-smoking charity ASH Scotland said: "We welcome that Glasgow City Council is taking its responsibility to enforce the ban seriously.

"We realise also though, that Keith Richards did hurt his head recently and might not have been fully compus mentis."

But Neil Rafferty, spokesman for smokers' rights group Forest Scotland, said: "Once again the smoking ban is making Scotland look small minded.

"Mel Smith was prevented from portraying Churchill at the Edinburgh Festival and now a local authority is treating the biggest rock group in the world like children."

No one was available from the tour promoters TNA/CPI for comment.
27th August 2006 05:55 AM
mac_daddy jeezus

any news is good news, esp if it's free..

remember the msg hbo gig..? msg had this no smoking thing (ca was the first, but nyc had newly adopted it)... anyway, ronnie and keef and blondie were on film huffin' heaters all through the show, not just behind the amps, but on stage and sh*t... anyway, it was drudge headline news - there was a big to-do that they split msg directly from the stage (the vid show them bailing, but i thought that was s.o.p. for them - i had no idea they were running from the cigarette police :P).... but the hype was that they were staying in jersey to skirt the nyc anti smoking laws. friggin joke, but tha gets you on drudge for a day, and that sells tix, esp. to the stones' apparent(sp) current demographic ...

personally, i enjoy seeing them flaunt their disdain for authority, i just wanna see them doing something a bit more hardcore than smoking in public...

27th August 2006 06:47 AM
Honky Tonk Man I don't think Keith was smoking on stage to get up anyones nose. I just think he did'nt realise about the ban. I actually thought outdoor stadiums were exempt. I think I read they will be when the non-smoking law is introduced over here in England next summer.
27th August 2006 09:39 AM
Gazza I do remember after the HBO show, Mayor Bloomberg mentioning that they could be charged/fined for breaking the no-smoking laws in a public place, but I guess he soon found out how ridiculous and petty he sounded
27th August 2006 10:24 AM
gimmekeef This is news?..lmao....September 2004 at Rogers in Toronto...from 2nd row....funniest thing I've seen on stage was Keef and this red glow as has he inhaled just moments prior to the show kicking off..and just before lighting into SMU..!..then he spit out the smoke after one final puff before hitting second chords...He literally timed his puffs to the chords....priceless!
27th August 2006 10:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
27th August 2006 10:33 AM
danielharris627 Haha, oh no, not £50!
27th August 2006 11:08 AM
GotToRollMe He's such a rebel!
27th August 2006 11:10 AM
sirmoonie Sorry for my redundant thread, Motebiffer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/5290278.stm
27th August 2006 11:21 AM
M.O.W.A.T. I found it odd that at last year's Ottawa show (which was held in an outdoor football stadium), you couldn't smoke on the field but were told that along the sidelines was ok.
28th August 2006 06:30 AM
Jeep From the Daily Record :

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sexandhealth/features/tm_objectid=17638036%26method=full%26siteid=66633-name_page.html

28 August 2006
ROLL-UP STONE IS CLEARED
Keith won't face cig fine

By Steven Ventura
ROCKER Keith Richards won't be hit with a £50 fine for smoking a cigarette on stage at Hampden Park.

The Rolling Stones great lit up during the concert last Friday in front of 50,000 fans, in apparent defiance of Scotland's smoking ban.

But while council chiefs are investigating, the Record can reveal that outdoor sections of the stadium are NOT covered by the ban.

And Hampden's owners, who have their own smoking ban, won't be taking any action.

At the weekend, anti-smoking groups demanded that guitarist Richards, who has twice been charged with drugs offences, face a fine.

But an Executive spokesman said last night: "Football grounds are not governed by the law because they are not regarded as enclosed spaces."

Hampden bosses made the stadium a smoke-free zone in January. Fans flouting the rule face ejection if they refuse to stub out.

But it's understood the stadium's chiefs have no interest in taking the Richards case further.

Smokers' rights group FOREST Scotland said the decision saved the nation from more embarrassment caused by the anti-smoke laws.

Spokesman Neil Rafferty said: "It's a relief that Scotland won't be humiliated yet again.

"Keith Richards could have obviously afforded the £50, had he broken the rules. But thousands of Scots can't risk being hit with the penalty.

"The smoke ban has already been demonstrated as a farce after actor Mel Smith was affected as he portrayed Churchill at the Edinburgh Festival.

"These episodes continue to make Scotland look stupid."

28th August 2006 08:29 AM
FotiniD Jesus, I thought the original article was meant as a joke

Signs of how ridiculously "sensitive" our society is growing to be for all the wrong reasons. It's seeing the tree and missing the forest. The idiot looking at the finger pointing the moon, not the moon itself. You get the picture.
28th August 2006 12:10 PM
Steel Wheels If he is going to do something as outrageous as smoke during a rock and roll concert where there's a smoking ban, perhaps it's high time we all realize that he needs to be punished for his crimes.

Pay up Keith. Don't be a criminal.

28th August 2006 12:16 PM
Saint Sway this is beyond ridiculous.

ooooh.... maybe next time they'll be able to catch him jaywalking or for having more than 10 items in the express line.
28th August 2006 12:20 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
this is beyond ridiculous.

ooooh.... maybe next time they'll be able to catch him jaywalking or for having more than 10 items in the express line.

i have read reports that Chris Robinson will only earn 100K this year while touring with the Black Crowes? Has it gotten that bad in the music industry?
28th August 2006 12:35 PM
Saint Sway the music industry is shit. But that number is way off.
28th August 2006 12:39 PM
pdog I'm glad to see the media has found something important to focus on...
28th August 2006 02:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the music industry is shit. But that number is way off.

That is the number as reported in my wife's "US Weekly"
28th August 2006 05:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
danielharris627 wrote:
Haha, oh no, not £50!

Poor old fucker. Looks like he's going to have to tour next year now after all, whether he wanted to or not, in order to pay that off
28th August 2006 07:05 PM
aladdinstory smoke 'em if you got 'em!

this whole anti-smoking thing is getting way out of control, too many people out there trying to tell everyone else how to live. it's ironic (and chilling) that the war on smoking actually took off in nazi germany.

everyone (smoker or not, i am not) should light one up in "sympathy" of the ole devil Keef.
29th August 2006 05:36 AM
Gazza It was on the news last night that no charges will be brought.

Hooray! Keef beats "the man" again!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)