ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 29th August
© Paulywaul, thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones....a spent Creative Force? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
23rd August 2006 04:02 PM
jb ABB still under 1million US....
23rd August 2006 04:04 PM
Dan
quote:

One problem is that there's noone to take their place.

Thats not true. There are plenty of Stones tribute bands out there. Or for people who like rock music, plenty of rock bands out there.
23rd August 2006 04:04 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Ian Stewart must be getting a kick out of this thread.
He "produced" this shower of shit for years.
Stu had an ear for the good stuff.

an interesting, and probably all too overlooked point of view. the "stu" factor, he seemed to have kept them grounded and probably was the all important third vote when mj and kr (frequently) disagreed on songs, mixes, etc... i don't think he was all that fond of sg though was he??? thought i read a quote several years ago about him thinking the band "sounded like bloody status quo". for a true tribute to Stu they should've released an instrumental of "Petrol Gang!"
23rd August 2006 04:12 PM
Saint Sway Keith no longer has any say. Mick runs the show. In every way. Including in the studio.
23rd August 2006 04:15 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Keith no longer has any say. Mick runs the show. In every way. Including in the studio.

Keith is useless ....Mick has bad taste in songs.
23rd August 2006 04:16 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Keith is useless ....Mick has bad taste in songs.

is there any hope left????????????
23rd August 2006 04:16 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

He is young, reelection??

No. ( see : wife )

Kins .
23rd August 2006 04:18 PM
Some Guy I just watered the plants.
23rd August 2006 04:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
an interesting, and probably all too overlooked point of view. the "stu" factor, he seemed to have kept them grounded and probably was the all important third vote when mj and kr (frequently) disagreed on songs, mixes, etc... i don't think he was all that fond of sg though was he??? thought i read a quote several years ago about him thinking the band "sounded like bloody status quo". for a true tribute to Stu they should've released an instrumental of "Petrol Gang!"

I don't think that this whoring around with Cohl and high concert grosses would impress Stu much. Funny guy that Stu. I really think he only, of all the Stones, had the luxury of putting the music first. Because he didn't have anything to lose really.

23rd August 2006 04:21 PM
Some Guy
quote:

I don't think that this whoring around with Cohl and high concert grosses would impress Stu much. Funny guy that Stu. I really think he only, of all the Stones, had the luxury of putting the music first. Because he didn't have anything to lose really.

When did he pass?
23rd August 2006 07:52 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

When did he pass?

dec '85, died in the waiting room of his doctor i believe (could be an urban legend however)just as work from DW was wrapping up, THAT experience must've killed him. some great outtakes/alt versions from those sessions though
23rd August 2006 08:02 PM
Taptrick

I like ABB. A also understand that's an opinion. Some don't.

23rd August 2006 08:07 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Joey wrote:

I masturbate .

It's is true .... I do !

i tried it once but all this weird gear came outta ma dick!!

scared the hell outta me - so i thought i better leave it alone
23rd August 2006 08:33 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Keith no longer has any say. Mick runs the show. In every way. Including in the studio.

I think Keith would have more say in the studio -- if he produced more damn material! He came into ABB session with 3 songs (one of which, "Infamy," is barely a song). The way the album was put together, it was a case of To the Most Prepared Goes the Spoils.
23rd August 2006 08:44 PM
stonedinaustralia i think they have been creatively defunct since the Dirty Work break-up - mick and keith's creative collaboration - which imo defines the band - is driven not by a desire to work creatively together but simply to generate product

i don't know much of what's sitting in the vaults from post '85 but what i have heard suggests keith's desire (if not his talent) to write songs seems to have deserted him -"slipping away" and"thru and thru" notwithstanding

i could be wrong - he might have written heaps of cool stuff but just can't be arsed to see it through the production process so it sees the light of day ...at least mick (for good or ill)is driven by something (ego?) to get his material that far

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
23rd August 2006 08:54 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i think they have been creatively defunct since the Dirty Work break-up - mick and keith's creative collaboration - which imo defines the band - is driven not by a desire to work creatively together but simply to generate product

i don't know much of what's sitting in the vaults from post '85 but what i have heard suggests keith's desire (if not his talent) to write songs seems to have deserted him -"slipping away" and"thru and thru" notwithstanding

i could be wrong - he might have written heaps of cool stuff but just can't be arsed to see it through the production process so it sees the light of day ...at least mick (for good or ill)is driven by something (ego?) to get his material that far

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

the VL outtakes show that the group, Keith included had a lot of good, interesting material, the Voodoo Residue collection gave great insight (I thought) as how he creates his songs. AND even B2B, despite its schitzophrenic nature, was full of Keith's songs and ideas, Waddy Wachtel's overexposure on that set notwithstanding
23rd August 2006 09:02 PM
stonedinaustralia aladdin i don't doubt what you say - but i think it does highlight my basic point that creatively, from a "collaborative" point of view, mick and keith's relationship is , to borrrow your word, schizophrenic

ABB seemed to be an attempt by the two to "work together" again as was VL - it's just that i don't entirely trust their motives for doing so and that doubt comes from the fact that ABB, despite some nice if not great moments, sounds perfunctory
23rd August 2006 09:12 PM
telecaster When you live in The Ritz half the year and one of your 12 houses the other half, you probably aren't going to be to creative

23rd August 2006 09:26 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
John Bunyan dictated Paradise Lost to his daughter while he was blind and dying.

Correct except that it was John Milton. Bunyan wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress."
23rd August 2006 10:04 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
ABB still under 1million US....

You can say the same in 2050, easily.
23rd August 2006 11:41 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
aladdin i don't doubt what you say - but i think it does highlight my basic point that creatively, from a "collaborative" point of view, mick and keith's relationship is , to borrrow your word, schizophrenic

ABB seemed to be an attempt by the two to "work together" again as was VL - it's just that i don't entirely trust their motives for doing so and that doubt comes from the fact that ABB, despite some nice if not great moments, sounds perfunctory

hey great avatar btw, and i agree with you to a point, i think that by B2B, despite some interesting experiments, the band lost the script so to speak, proven by the lameness of the 2002 40 Licks material. in that sense ABB is like the a punch drunk boxer who just got his second wind, because it shows that they at least remember how to play guitar-based rock n roll, with some swing and energy sans "special guests" not trying to sound all mature like the released VL material or three different bands in one like on B2B. I agree that ABB is perfunctory in spots but it shows enough potential to create anticpation of where they take it, hopefully stripping it down even more, having the whole band present on all songs, getting actual Mick/Keef collaboration and finding someone to produce them other than Don Was. The fact is ABB was made by a group of sixtysomething multi-millionaires and from that perspective alone it could've been alot worse. I may be in the minority but I look forward to what they do next and I didn't feel like that a few years ago after Licks.
23rd August 2006 11:42 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
telecaster wrote:
When you live in The Ritz half the year and one of your 12 houses the other half, you probably aren't going to be to creative

LOL, indeed
24th August 2006 08:59 AM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

You can say the same in 2050, easily.

Any good numbers lately???
24th August 2006 09:10 AM
glencar
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:

hey great avatar btw, and i agree with you to a point, i think that by B2B, despite some interesting experiments, the band lost the script so to speak, proven by the lameness of the 2002 40 Licks material. in that sense ABB is like the a punch drunk boxer who just got his second wind, because it shows that they at least remember how to play guitar-based rock n roll, with some swing and energy sans "special guests" not trying to sound all mature like the released VL material or three different bands in one like on B2B. I agree that ABB is perfunctory in spots but it shows enough potential to create anticpation of where they take it, hopefully stripping it down even more, having the whole band present on all songs, getting actual Mick/Keef collaboration and finding someone to produce them other than Don Was. The fact is ABB was made by a group of sixtysomething multi-millionaires and from that perspective alone it could've been alot worse. I may be in the minority but I look forward to what they do next and I didn't feel like that a few years ago after Licks.

I like ABB more than you do but this is still a pretty nice post. There are too many Debbie Downers around here. I wish they would just think about why they still like this band. I mean, if nothing's been good since 1981, why stick around?
[Edited by glencar]
24th August 2006 09:11 AM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

Joshy, Twicks #1 looked to be an absolute sell-out & #2 was close, maybe 95% or so.
24th August 2006 09:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Correct except that it was John Milton. Bunyan wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress."

Whoops. Of course.
24th August 2006 09:35 AM
glencar
quote:

Whoops. Of course.

You should be more careful when trying to look like a smarty pants.
24th August 2006 09:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:

ABB moved 10k in the last three months. The big numbers are in UK, 40licks is selling like crazy the recent months.
25th August 2006 12:05 PM
Bloozehound Spent?

They be spun..

At this point their just old farts, fartin in the wind
25th August 2006 12:07 PM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

ABB moved 10k in the last three months. The big numbers are in UK, 40licks is selling like crazy the recent months.

40 Licks was advertised & had good palcement in the London stores. At the HMV store, there were no ABB copies for sale.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)