ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 29th August
© Paulywaul, thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ArenA, Amsterdam 31st July - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
31st July 2006 06:42 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I sense Mark and Angie are clearing their throats in anticipation as I type this...

We sung very LOUD!
31st July 2006 06:46 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat WE GOT SWAY AND IT ROCKED!

Will post a review tomorrow. SOL was great live!
31st July 2006 06:52 PM
albert Just got back from the Arena. I had a real got time with my first and only ABB show. Just like Mathijs before: not the best but certainly not the worst Stones show. Band clearly not too drunk or stoned on stage and Jagger in top form. The sound in the Arena as almost sucks but wasn't too bad. Loud guitars, couldn't hear keyboards or horns almost. Very loud guitars. Highlights: Sway, Streets of Love and being front row at the small stage. So after Tim Ries, Paradiso and the Arena: up to bed, work tomorrow.

gr,
Albert
Holland
31st July 2006 06:53 PM
Gazza thanks, guys - I told y'all SOL was much better in concert!
31st July 2006 06:56 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Gazza wrote:
thanks, guys - I told y'all SOL was much better in concert!

No doubt: SOL was the best song of this set. Sway was kinda strange...not bluesy, but they made it rock. Far too fast, but what the fuck.

Mick had a very strange coat on SFTD. We can put him in Vegas with that one...
31st July 2006 07:18 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff I'm completely agreed with Mathijs!
Now I'm in hotel, and I have to say that few songs are rolling good, like SOL and As tears go by, and I like it much Get off of my cloud.
All the Ron solos were wrong, too loud and out of the mood.
Keith is UNTOUCHABLE, you know, and he was smart.
Fabio

Mark, did you with us ?
31st July 2006 08:35 PM
Angiegirl I'm home, finally, after some predictable screw-ups by our national Rail system, 90 minutes late...

True, SOL was energizing, fantastic, Mick really gave it his all, unbelievable, best song of the show! We really did sing extremely loud, but we had to tone it down a bit or nobody would have heard Ronnie, Bernard nor Lisa anymore... Albert, dude, loud guitars???? WTF??? Were you somewhere else? I only heard loud Charlie and Darryl and of course, the all time echo!! It was like taking a bath. Anyway, As Tears Go By was beautiful, great singing by Mickmeister. Keith's voice was very good too btw.

Sway was ok, but it was just great to be able to hear it since I'm only having one show you see. But Mick's singing takes out all of the emotion from the lyrics. Bit Vegas-y (though not as bad as his fashion-police-disapproved shiny red jacket during Miss You... damn he has some fashion challenges there!).

It was really funny when Mick introduced Lisa in Dutch, but I had the sense not too many people understood him, cause of the lack of response from the audience. Too bad, it was really funny. "Nice dress. I saw you walk on the Wallen"

Keef promised us to "leave the trees alone in the future". Well, you'd guess that notion got through to him don't you?
He did well. Looked even more skinny than ever, but alive.
Charlie wore his standard "I-am-in-Amsterdam-orange shirt", but this time some great orange socks accompanied the shirt. Well done Charlie!

Bernard was yummy!!! Oh boy, the man had gotten himself a new shirt this tour, and I just know he winked at me, I saw it!

Ronnie. Yeah well, was he there? Maybe they should explain to him the purpose of that wooden thing hanging from his shoulders, and maybe even give the manual with it... He was consistently too late, out of tune, like a banshee, and for great lengths of time inaudible even (which may have been a good thing actually). Oh, and he smoked as well. Well done Ronnie I say!

Brown Sugar got fucked again, as it should be in the ArenA like Gary said. Unbelievable. It was so horribly amateuristic, we just had to laugh (we nearly died).

My very last Stones show. In the EchoDome. Very last song Satisfaction. Oh well, after 41 shows, I've seen it all, and I liked it. Thanks guys!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
31st July 2006 08:40 PM
LadyJane Awww, Angie.

I cannot believe after all of our joking that SOL was such a treat.

I'm looking forward to it in the Fall.

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

41 shows!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the review, Sistah!!!!

LJ.
31st July 2006 08:47 PM
PartyDoll MEG You are up late Angie!!! Thanks for your review. Sure sounds like SOL is the highlight of the European tour. Glad you both used your singing voices..

Gotta agree with you on Mick's wardrobe. If his giant girlfriend is responsible, she should be fired.

Sweet Stones dreams Girlfriend!!!
31st July 2006 08:51 PM
Angiegirl Thanks girls! Yeah, its 2:50 am now, but luckily I can sleep in, I took the day off tomorrow.

I'm not buzzing like I did after some shows in the nineties, that's all over and done with. But hey, to see the old wrinkles again, Mick's "see, I've turned 23 last week, not 63" movements were so familiar again made it feel like being home after all these years. But quality wise (and compared to the prices) I don't have the urge to see 10 shows like this, like I did 10 years ago. My wallet thanks me.

I started in 1990 with one show and I end in 2006 with one. Circle closed

G'nite ladies of the ROCC!!
31st July 2006 09:09 PM
Bitch WOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BITCH & SWAY!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

BITCH ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

SWAY, ATGB, GOMC!!!!!!!!!!!!

BITCH + SWAY = SOLID!!

Nice setlist for Amsterdam!
31st July 2006 10:33 PM
Soldatti Nice reviews, glad that you all enjoyed the show.
31st July 2006 11:08 PM
Poplar
The whole "finality" thing is really settling in around here.
bittersweet, indeed.

31st July 2006 11:37 PM
GotToRollMe Thanks for the reviews, everyone, and to Gazza for bringing it all back home.

And the yellow font is back! *sigh* I'm so easily pleased.
1st August 2006 12:04 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Photos ANP Agency - Rick Nederstigt

[Edited by Jeep]

Jesus - Keith's starting to look better than Mick...

1st August 2006 01:12 AM
Paranoid_Android That first picture of Keith is AMAZING!!!!!!
1st August 2006 01:14 AM
Paranoid_Android I just remembered...in AMS...in one of those "platz" things...there was a "Rolling Stone" coffee shop...is it still there...is that where everyone met for a mini stoner-stone summit?!?
1st August 2006 01:19 AM
pdog I really appreciate the honesty of the reviews. I will only go to one more show as well this tour, that's it.
It will be here, No AC, NYC only if it's a club show...
I've seen them so many times since 1981... It's the same thing, over and over. Unless it changes, which it won't. Why shouldn't I buy some cool shit for myself with the money. An iPod or a new HD TV, toys for my kids, more trips to fun places ect... The only good thing about 2005/2006 was the people I went to the shows and hung with... The Stones were the same, and not worth spending that much money on... The stones were great, but I need to know when I've had enough and they are taking too much!
It hurts and is sad to say it...
I just saved a ton of money on my going concerts! I just saw three shows, two were great, for very little money...
As good as The Stones are, the amount I would spend on their show, isn't $400.00 better than the other shows. Not even close really!
1st August 2006 01:24 AM
not bound to please
quote:
pdog wrote:
I really appreciate the honesty of the reviews. I will only go to one more show as well this tour, that's it.
It will be here, No AC, NYC only if it's a club show...
I've seen them so many times since 1981... It's the same thing, over and over. Unless it changes, which it won't. Why shouldn't I buy some cool shit for myself with the money. An iPod or a new HD TV, toys for my kids, more trips to fun places ect... The only good thing about 2005/2006 was the people I went to the shows and hung with... The Stones were the same, and not worth spending that much money on... The stones were great, but I need to know when I've had enough and they are taking too much!
It hurts and is sad to say it...
I just saved a ton of money on my going concerts! I just saw three shows, two were great, for very little money...
As good as The Stones are, the amount I would spend on their show, isn't $400.00 better than the other shows. Not even close really!

agreed - only going to the Chicago summit afterwards..

1st August 2006 03:48 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Well, just back from the show. I am not going to give my "it was horrible" review, because it wasn't. There were 50.000 (it certainly wasn't sold out) people having the time of their live, so who I am to judge. It wasn't really good, and it wasn't really bad. I personally found it all a bit boring, and that's most probably only because I have seen it and them too much. To me, there were no real high lights, but also no really low lights. I hate to say it because I HATE the song, but Streets of Love was maybe the best song of the evening, and As Tears Go By was quite nice too. I really enjoyed Slipping Away, I thought Keith was singing really well. Low points to me where all the songs with a Ron Wood solo -the guy simply has become a horrible lead guitarist. Especially in the echo dome of the Arena, his screeching and feeding back out of tune bends were horrible. Sway wasn't good I thought (I even thought Keith played the intro and bridge wrong), I hated YCAGWYW for Wood's solo's and Jones' slapping bass. Brown Sugar was bad as well -Keith didn't remember the chords, and Jagger forgot the lyrics, and Night Time is the kind of Vegas song I don't want the Stones to play. All other songs were o.k., nothing more in my very humble opinion. I thought it was all getting a bit pale.

It was o.k., that's it. It will be my last show ever. There just isn't any reason for me to go see them again. After 16 years of live Stones shows, it's enough for me.

Mathijs

thanks for this honest review Mathijs
1st August 2006 04:02 AM
egon from dagblad van het noorden;

""Stones don't suprise anymore""

1st August 2006 04:15 AM
albert Hi Angelique,

sorry to hear you were home that late. We were in Noordwijk at prox. 00.45 hrs (by car).

We we're FOS right end at the B stage and yes: loud guitars. Couldn't hear any keyboards (what a miss?!)and nearly no horns and backing vocals. We heard the Stones loud and clear, very loud (ears still hurt a little) and like a wall of sound.

Enjoyed the show very much, had a couple of beers so I wasn't too critical about it all (however I really got a little bit nervous with the sound we got with the Toost & Maytalls performance. that was really really bad!!)

Actually I liked Ronnie's guitar work during Sway and Streets of Love.

gr,
Albert
1st August 2006 04:49 AM
Jeep Videos from dutch TV news, click the pix :

RTL Nieuws :

NOS 2 :

1st August 2006 04:51 AM
LE PAUL JAGGER Thanks Jeep
1st August 2006 05:26 AM
egon telegraaf;

Nederland lijkt Stones-moe
door onze popredactie

AMSTERDAM - Het bewijs is geleverd: de Rolling Stones zijn nog niet te bejaard om een geweldig rock-'n-rollconcert te verzorgen.

Foto: AP

Aan de conditie van de vier heren lag het niet dat slechts vijftigduizend fans getuige waren van de 'Bigger Bang' waarmee Jagger, Richards, Watts en Wood gisteravond de ArenA voor één concert in Nederland aandeden. Het was nog geen kwart van het aantal bezoekers dat de grootste rock-'n-rollband ter wereld bij hun vorige bezoek in 2003 trok. Zou Nederland Stones-moe zijn?

Slechts een kleine honderd man stond gisteren aan het begin van de middag voor de deuren van de Amsterdam ArenA te wachten voor het concert van de Rolling Stones. Het zijn vooral oudere jongeren die al vroeg in de rij staan te wachten. Hysterische taferelen blijven uit.

Toen Keith Richards in april uit een palmboom op Fiji kukelde, waren er van de honderdduizend beschikbare kaarten voor de twee concerten die de band in Nederland zou geven, er pas 85.000 verkocht. Ter vergelijking: Robbie Williams verkocht zijn 200.000 ArenA-kaarten in anderhalf uur uit. En toen Ron Wood geveld werd in aanloop naar de Europese tour (officieus vanwege behandeling aan zijn alcoholverslaving) en er van de twee shows die de Britten zouden geven er één overbleef, bleef ook dat concert tot het allerlaatst onuitverkocht.

Wat zeker een rol zal spelen in de aflatende interesse van het Nederlandse publiek is dat velen de Stones ondertussen wel gezien hebben. Want de huidige tournee mag dan wel 'Bigger Bang' heten, van het gelijknamige laatste album spelen de heren slechts een paar nummers als 'Oh no not you again' en 'Rough and Justice'.

Wie zowel gisteren in de ArenA was als drie jaar geleden bij de concerten in dezelfde ruimte, de Kuip of Ahoy' moet geconcludeerd hebben dat het toch wel erg veel klonk als de greatest hits-tour '40 Licks'. Veel echte Stones-klassiekers dus als 'Satisfaction', 'Sympathy for the devil' en 'Jumping Jack Flash'. Leuk, maar de doorgewinterde Stones-fan kent die nummers zo langzamerhand wel.

Geweld

Wat ondanks die verrassingsloze setlist overeind blijft is het audiovisuele geweld waarmee de band de wereld overtrekt.

Liefst 120 trucks om al het benodigde materiaal te vervoeren. 235 man crew zijn nodig voor de opbouw van de enorme, stalen vlinderconstructie die als podium dient. De vleugels bieden plaats aan een paar honderd fans die het concert op die manier on-stage meemaken en zicht hebben op een grote opblaasbare mond.

Kosten noch moeite worden gespaard om de titel grootste rock-'n-rollcircus te behouden en voorlopig lukt dat. Vorige week is berekend dat met deze tournee een record van ruim 400 miljoen dollar zal worden opgehaald.

zie: http://www.telegraaf.nl/prive/47458371/Nederland_lijkt_Stones-moe.html voor lezers reakties
1st August 2006 05:42 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Several people fainted because of the heat. Open that goddamn roof.
1st August 2006 06:06 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat I spotted one of Mick's kids in the FOS right side btw!
1st August 2006 06:23 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Videos from dutch TV news, click the pix :

Thanks, Jeep. Those were great.

Why did everyone sing "Hey Jude" while waiting
to get into the stadium?

1st August 2006 08:03 AM
Moonisup
1st August 2006 08:10 AM
egon muppy, is that really you?

the last time i saw you, the beatles had a number
one hit with "i wanna hold your hand"!
[Edited by egon]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)